• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Carbon 6: Super GT Mirror

Jeff- can you test on a non-widebody? Just curious....

The first 2 sets (including yours) should be done in ~2 weeks. The raw parts will be coming out of the molds today. I will see if Steve (black/Ivory) will let me mock up a set on his car and take a few more pictures.

:eek: I won't get payed until the first of the month! :biggrin:

Well, I am setting a schedule for myself to try and get them completed as efficiently as I can. The actual time frame may vary. I guess I am leaning on the side of sooner than later just so there is no surprises. ;)

I completed cutting 9 sets worth of the titanium internals on my CNC machine on Tuesday. I had to order more raw material to complete the last few sets. Which is on the way. I'll post some pictures of the internal parts once I get some of the sub-assemblies put together.

There is one part that is on backorder. The wire plug ends have a white (tamper cap) inside the plug that is a secondary cover for the connecting pins. The manufacturer has indicating that this piece is out of stock with no eta. I have two options. The part is not required and the pins/plug works just fine without it so it can be omitted completely. (or) that part can be transferred from the OEM one to the new set. I still have the order in with the manufacturer for that part. I will keep everyone posted.

I would never rush or sacrifice quality. Some of the members are more eager than others.

I am trying to use these first couple sets to gauge the time frame so the persons on the latter part of the list know what to expect. I don't want to "rush" to get them out by any means but I don't want to drag it out for to long either. Building them in pairs (2 sets) seems to be a efficient. If I can complete the 2 sets in 2-3 weeks, that seems reasonable.

any pics on a none widebody?

B@t

Not yet. I took my set apart to replace the "break away" tension spring and have been working on getting all the internal parts done for the rest. Once I get mine re-assembled I will set some time aside to get some more pictures.

Just finished the last bonding steps for the carbon fiber parts of the housings. They will need to "post cure" for 24-36 hours before I can start the finishing and clearcoat. The first 2 sets should be ready to assemble and ship by the end of next week.

It appears as if 3 weeks total for 2 sets is a reasonable time to complete. Barring any unforeseen delays, I will proceed with that schedule and post updates as I go. I will also try and get some pictures on a non-widebody car next week.

It also seems like some people are in more of a hurry than others. I am not stuck to the order of the list. I will offer them in order but if anyone wants to "pass" their turn for a future set, I am okay with that. The internal serial numbers will just be in order as they are made.

ima stay where i am in line lol. cant wait to see pics on the non wide body, any idea what color car it willl go on btw:wink:

I am making an update/revision... After driving my car a bit to get a sense of the viewing from the new mirrors, I realized the flat mirror glass on the passenger side creates a blind spot. This is the same reason why OEM manufacturers have a convex mirror on the passenger side. I am meeting with the glass company today to get the exact convex shape needed and they will waterjet them out for me. This will not delay production. They indication they can have these to me in 1-2 days

Update/Revision: I will be updating the passenger side glass on all sets to a convex mirror to maximize visibility. The driver side will stay flat as it works well for visibility and offers a better judgement for distance. The passenger side will offer a more "wide angle" view and the "objects in mirror will be closer than they appear". Just like OEM application although it will not have that etched in the glass.

I will be clear-coating the first 2 sets today or tomorrow and they be ready to ship this Friday.

just wondering... why not sell SOS the molds? id like to get these mirrors some day... but with the limited release that most likely wont happen

just wondering... why not sell SOS the molds? id like to get these mirrors some day... but with the limited release that most likely wont happen

Originally, I was going to make only one set for me... then I froze it at 12 total. The limited production of the part maintains the exclusivity, quality and I believe the reason why most of the buyers jumped on board so quickly. Also, the molds and tooling are as much my "canvas" as the parts themselves. If you talk to any composite shop, their mold are the culmination of their development, time and sweat. I am not willing to sell the molds for any price.

hey Jeff, just curious what has been the top speed you have tested these mirrors at? I forgot to also mentioned I wanted that "smoked" CF look, similar to my DF spoiler. Is this an option?

I have run them up to ~85 so far. My suspension is fairly stiff and they are very steady. Because the outer housings are so light though (main housing is 3.6 oz), they are subject to some crosswind vibration and heavy shock from potholes etc. Although minimal. I have some silicone bumpers I can install in the lower pedestal to stabilize them while in the standard "locked" position.

As for the tint, I'm glad you told me... I will get them as close as I can to that tint... I have seen a few different parts Downforce has made tinted and it looks ~50% smoked.

Here is some matte clear I shot at about 70% (on the left)
DSCF2167.jpg

Last edited:
I am making an update/revision... After driving my car a bit to get a sense of the viewing from the new mirrors, I realized the flat mirror glass on the passenger side creates a blind spot. This is the same reason why OEM manufacturers have a convex mirror on the passenger side. I am meeting with the glass company today to get the exact convex shape needed and they will waterjet them out for me. This will not delay production. They indication they can have these to me in 1-2 days

Update/Revision: I will be updating the passenger side glass on all sets to a convex mirror to maximize visibility. The driver side will stay flat as it works well for visibility and offers a better judgement for distance. The passenger side will offer a more "wide angle" view and the "objects in mirror will be closer than they appear". Just like OEM application although it will not have that etched in the glass.

I will be clear-coating the first 2 sets today or tomorrow and they be ready to ship this Friday.

Now thats what I like to hear!

B@t

I have run them up to ~85 so far. My suspension is fairly stiff and they are very steady. Because the outer housings are so light though (main housing is 3.6 oz), they are subject to some crosswind vibration and heavy shock from potholes etc. Although minimal. I have some silicone bumpers I can install in the lower pedestal to stabilize them while in the standard "locked" position.

As for the tint, I'm glad you told me... I will get them as close as I can to that tint... I have seen a few different parts Downforce has made tinted and it looks ~50% smoked.

Here is some matte clear I shot at about 70% (on the left)
DSCF2167.jpg

Smoked (DF) tint on my set too please

The only thing I am unhappy with so far is that Jeff refuses to offer copies of some of the aero off of his car. I am a very disgruntled customer. :tongue:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JQCP85FngzE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Back