Apple iPad

Now THIS is going too far...even for the Apple Nazi Steve Jobs.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/apples-iphone-lockdown-apps-must-be-written-in-one-of-three-la/

It is time for Adobe to fight back and quick making Applications for Mac. Make Windows only software and that will put a hurting on Apple.

WOW. I'm floored! I agree that is taking it too far, *BUT* secretly inside I'm very happy because it reduces my competition. It's hard enough to make any money on this platform as it is...

Upon further reading, I think that language has always been in the developer agreement... and I'm also not sure that it necessarily prohibits flash compiled games from being brought over. As long as Adobe has their own thin layer that's written in C and connects up to the public API's, they can have compiled code written in whatever other language interface to this thin layer and it falls within what's been prescribed in the agreement.

When they talk about "private API", they are specifically referencing private frameworks and data structures in the OS. They run checks on the binaries to make sure people aren't calling these during the approval process (this has been there since day 1). Nothing wrong with that, and helps keep apps from "breaking" when Apple updates their OS.

Last edited:
i think the majority of people in business would call him brilliant... a founder with a very unique vision of what he believes his company needs to be and do to achieve the types and levels of success he believes it capable of achieving.

He has done some great things and some stupid things. I would the flash thing is purely stupid and for no other reason other than he doesn't like adobe.

He has done some great things and some stupid things. I would the flash thing is purely stupid and for no other reason other than he doesn't like adobe.
(not a trick question) why does jobs not like adobe? any actual, documented reasons?

(not a trick question) why does jobs not like adobe? any actual, documented reasons?

Yes.

It's not about disliking Adobe, but Flash. Jobs also feels the same way about MS Silverlight. Here's a good technical video on Flash in a mobile environment...

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/19/ten-myths-of-apples-ipad-2-it-needs-flash-segment-2/

Some would also say that Flash is...

Buggy
Memory and resource hog
Power hungry - Bad for battery life of mobile devices
Not an open standard like H.264 and HTML5
Security
Hover-Mouseover Problem**

** http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/20/an-adobe-flash-developer-on-why-the-ipad-cant-use-flash/

It is time for Adobe to fight back and quick making Applications for Mac. Make Windows only software and that will put a hurting on Apple.

If they did that, what would stop Apple from buying Adobe outright? They could kill Flash, rape Photoshop in favor of Aperture, etc.

It's not about disliking Adobe, but Flash.
gotcha and understand not liking a particular tool.

i can see where flash devs / providers would be upset because they're unable to quickly take advantage of the opportunities the iphone/pad platforms will offer.

But, but, but.. it plays flash! :confused:

Sort of. If you want a crappy experience, and don't care about battery life, etc. Oh and it has that snappy 1.6Ghz CPU and multitasking, and still misses input events if the CPU is busy doing something else.

Like I said before, it's about the end user experience, not how good it looks on paper.

But, but, but.. it plays flash! :confused:

Sort of. If you want a crappy experience, and don't care about battery life, etc. Oh and it has that snappy 1.6Ghz CPU and multitasking, and still misses input events if the CPU is busy doing something else.

Like I said before, it's about the end user experience, not how good it looks on paper.

I agree with you. User experience is tops and that is what Apple is best at, even if they don't support Flash. And even if they are not the best at it, their marketing will sure tell you they are. Their devices are clean, simple and work like you think they would. That JooJoo sounds awful.

I was at Best Buy today listening to the sales guy tell prospective customers how crappy flash was and why it wasn't on the iPad. The customers response was 80% of the sites I visit use it, so forget it. It was funny.

I am over the flash thing for now.

This is a pretty good review here. Probably the best I have read.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPad-Review-Apple-Adopter,review-1533.html

Bottom line, wait for the next version.

Anyway, This sounds interesting to me: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-tablet

Last edited:
Generally OK review, although somewhat subjective and negative.

Things like...

The iPad does not charge when connected to a PC via USB, which we consider to be a design flaw. Yes, the iPad will charge on a Mac, and one could argue that most iPad owners will be Mac owners (we look forward to the data on that subject) but for this iPad test, we used a PC.

They make it sound like Apple is purposely limiting iPad to only charge on Macs. Well, the iPad draws a fair amount of current and only those USB ports that capable of the higher current draw will work. It has nothing to do with Mac or PC, nor is it a design flaw. It's like USB Hard Drives. Some draw too much current and won't work on some USB ports or on some USB ports on keyboards and mice ports. Macs, particularly new Macs have really robust USB ports when compared to many of the wimpy low-current USB ports found on generic PCs. Good quality PCs like those from HP or Sony should have no trouble providing the current needed to recharge an iPad.

Hell, I have some USB flash drives that work fine in any Macintosh USB port but will only work on my PCs when inserted into the USB ports in the back panel. If you try any of the front panel USB ports or the spare keyboard port - no worky. And this is just a stupid flash drive!

The other problem I had with the review was more philosophical. Every computer device is always better than the prior generation. I am sure the next gen iPad will be better than this one. But that's always going to be the case. So will the next gen Kindle.

The main thing to remember when buying any computer product is to look at the features and compare them with your needs. Sure, if you really must have a web cam, then wait for the next gen. But OS 4.0 this fall will address many of the other first gen issues (i.e multitasking) and you'll be able to update your iPad then, but don't expect new iPad hardware before that.

If the current iPad (or really any computer) meets your basic needs and delivers what you are looking for then buy it. If you always wait for the perfect product you'll never buy anything.

Here's a review that I thought was good...

http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/ipad/

Last edited:
Back on topic...here is my review of the iPad that I just got synced and running a couple of hours ago, but first some background...

After owning a Commodore 64 (yeah, I am dating myself) I bought my first PC in the late eighties, and had struggled with Windows for many years. Windows XP was the first windows operating system that was reasonably stable, everything before that was junk. I had a junky Compaq PC from 2003-2008 that I had originally bought for my daughter - it gave her so much trouble that I took it and bought her another computer. My old HP finally gave out so I nursed that Compaq along until 2008, when I was thinking of getting a Dell XPS. But being just tired of Windows by that time, I decided to buy a used Mac to see if I would like it. So I bought a used Mac PowerPC G5 in fall of 2008 to try; it came loaded with the original operating system (Tiger) and was in beautiful condition.

Long story short, I fell in love with the Mac. No more random crashes, blue screens of death, installing, reinstalling, and reinstalling software. The darn thing is stable. Not perfect, but WAY WAY more stable than any PC I had ever owned. I would describe the Mac as the BMW of computers. I too tire of the fanboys; it is like a guy in a BMW trash-talking you for buying a Camaro. When you are a young guy a Camaro is what you can afford, nothing wrong with that really. The success of the PC is a result of affordability, but it is sort of the Chevy of computers - relatively cheap and works well enough for most people.

I bought an iPod Classic for my girlfriend as a gift several years ago when it was the best iPod you could buy. I didn't even own an iPod myself, but our relationship was in that early infatuation phase (she was putting out a lot, those were the good old days, that phase only lasts two years for me then I should give up the lease) so I wanted to buy her something nice. She loved the iPod Classic and tossed her old iPod mini in a drawer. About a year later she pulled it out of the drawer and offered it to me. I took it on the idea that I could do something with it maybe. It is pink but I bought a black cover for it; problem solved. So I tinkered with it a bit and got it up and running and soon discovered that it was a really cool little device, and that you could install it in a car as a replacement for a CD player. So I did that.

After that, I bought an iPod touch, then later one for the girlfriend and one for my daughter. At first I wasn't exactly sure what to do with it, but over time I learned that I could play movies on my boat TV with it, or stream internet video onto the TV with it, plus surf the internet with wireless, plus a whole host of cool stuff with the apps that they make for them. They have apps for everything - you really have no idea just how many apps there are that are simple to use and do what they are supposed to do.

So recently I was at the boat for a long weekend, using my Dell laptop, which was my last Windows machine - I had gotten rid of any Windows devices in my house, and I took an Xbox (Christmas gift from girlfriend) back to Target last christmas when I discovered that it was a Microsoft device and that you had to buy a subscription to do online gaming with it - screw that. So anyway, I was using the laptop on the boat, which is a fairly reliable but somewhat aging Dell, to surf the internet, watch movies, watch internet video on the boat. The wireless is unstable so I have to constantly richard with it to keep it linked, but it works like a Chevy, just acceptable enough to be acceptable. So I go to put the laptop down and I drop it for the last half inch of travel, with a little bump. Poof! The hard drive crashes. I groan and start planning to buy another hard drive. I brought the laptop home with me for surgery, and I am laying in bed thinking about it when it occurs to me...I can do everything with an iPad that I do with the Laptop, only do it better. So, using my iPod Touch while laying in bed, I order up two iPads, one for me and one for the girlfriend, before I can talk myself out of it. It shows up a few days later courtesy of FedEx. I set up hers first and it went perfectly. My Mac gave me a little drama, I had to upgrade the operating system, as well as tweak my wireless router settings, plus reinstall iTunes, but the Ipad is up and running so here is my review:

People say it is just a big iPod Touch like that is a bad thing (uninformed critics make similar statements about the Honda Gold Wing: "It is so big it is almost like a car!" like that is a bad thing. But when you own a Gold Wing you understand why it is called the "King of Motorcycles".) I agree that it seems like "just a big iPod Touch" but you really have no idea what these things are capable of. I would say that the iPod Touch (which I love) is just a small iPad. Apple built the secondary device before they came out with the "main" device - they conceived of them in reverse order. So how does the iPad work? The darn thing is near perfect. You turn it on and it boots up quickly; it goes into sleep mode quietly to conserve power when you are not using it and wakes up instantly. You link to your e-mail account and it becomes a breeze to check your e-mail, or send an e-mail. It has a great internet browser that works well, you can do anything with it online that you can on a desktop, except Apple doesn't do Flash as mentioned earlier. You can bank, trade stocks, get movie listings, weather forecasts, Maps, find a bar, watch movies, stream video to a TV, anything you can do with your desktop computer only it does all these things better (except Flash). You can print with it if you have a bluetooth printer. You can view .pdf files. It will store all of your photos (mine has 1300) and all of your music (I have about 1000 songs) and all of your video and movies unless you have a huge collection. And you can view all of these things with ease on the device or watch them on your TV, even an old TV that only has RCA inputs. It is optimized for iBooks which you can purchase easily online while lying in bed. I downloaded a sample of one an hour ago to have a look, it is much like reading a physical book. The iPad is truly quite incredible because of all of the things that it does, and that it does them so quickly, simply, and so well. And as it is very similar to the iPod Touch, it should be super-reliable, just like the iPod Touch. I think the 3G model iPad would be fantastic - all that functionality plus 3G coverage so you could use it anywhere you can get a cell phone signal. I have read (unconfirmed) that you will be able to get a 3G data plan starting at about $30 monthly - at that price point I would probably get a 3G iPad and sell my Wifi iPad, although if a data plan was, say, $130 monthly, then I would stick with the WiFi iPad.

Criticisms? I would like to be able to delete pictures from the iPad (or my iPod Touch) without first having to delete them from my computer then resync the device, you can do this on the iPhone. I would like to see Flash support, and iPhone/iPod Apps that don't have an iPad version yet will still work, but in smaller iPhone mode unless you use the 2x magnifier on the device. They still work fine enlarged but they look grainy. Some apps have already been optimized for the larger screen of the iPad so those look fine. I expect all suppliers will eventually offer two app versions; the smaller ones for iPhone/iPod Touch and larger size ones for the iPad. The Wifi iPad requires that you are in range of a Wireless router, and there have been reports that the device won't sync with all wireless routers. I can vouch for that - I had to tweak my own router settings to get it to recognize my Linksys router. Apple still has some minor issues to tweak, but overall the user experience is fantastic, especially for a device that was just released. Here is another instance where being "just a big iPod Touch" isn't a bad thing: the Ipad benefits from Apple's knowledge base with the iPod Touch.

In summation, as an iPad owner who just got his up and running today, but a long-time iPod Touch owner, I can report that the iPad really rocks and I highly recommend that you get one. Once you finally break down and try your first Apple product, like I did when I bought the Mac G5, you will understand what all the hype is about. A succinct way to describe Apple products would be to call them the Hondas of electronic devices, whereas Microsoft products are the Chevys of electronic devices. Hondas aren't perfect but when you drive one you understand what is so great about them; they just work and are super-reliable. Apple products are just the same way. That pretty much sums it up.

If I have piqued your interest, you can view the iPad videos here. These videos aren't just advertising hype. All of the claims that they make about the iPad are true. If you buy an iPad, trust me because I know what I am talking about, you will love it!

Last edited:
I had to enter my FiOS router password several times yesterday, which made me quite unhappy. Digging around, it appears one fix is to change the router from WEP to WPA.

I'm a bit aggravated and apprehensive about doing this because everything else wireless in the house (laptop, iMac, 2 iPhones, iPod Touch, 2 TiVos) will need to be rejiggered as well. Gonna call Apple today and vent a little angst their way.

and I took an Xbox (Christmas gift from girlfriend) back to Target last christmas when I discovered that it was a Microsoft device and that you had to buy a subscription to do online gaming with it - screw that. [/I]

:rolleyes:

Heh, I laughed for days when I found out you couldn't use real money at the XBox store, but had to buy Itchy & Scratchy Bucks instead. :D

Heh, I laughed for days when I found out you couldn't use real money at the XBox store, but had to buy Itchy & Scratchy Bucks instead. :D

not only that, but everything is priced in a way that always leaves you with a number of odd/left over "points" that you can't do anything with, unless you buy more points. Then it's the same thing over again.

not only that, but everything is priced in a way that always leaves you with a number of odd/left over "points" that you can't do anything with, unless you buy more points. Then it's the same thing over again.

I have a feeling if APPLE did their app store that way you guys would say it is BRILLIANT! :biggrin:

Personally, I would rather it be real money, but I don't care that much. People probably spend more when they spend POINTS vs DOLLARS.

By the Way, I am still waiting on all your negative comments on the Flash vs HTML5 post.

Last edited:
...In summation, as an iPad owner who just got his up and running today, but a long-time iPod Touch owner, I can report that the iPad really rocks and I highly recommend that you get one. Once you finally break down and try your first Apple product, like I did when I bought the Mac G5, you will understand what all the hype is about. A succinct way to describe Apple products would be to call them the Hondas of electronic devices, whereas Microsoft products are the Chevys of electronic devices. Hondas aren't perfect but when you drive one you understand what is so great about them; they just work and are super-reliable. Apple products are just the same way. That pretty much sums it up.

If I have piqued your interest, you can view the iPad videos here. These videos aren't just advertising hype. All of the claims that they make about the iPad are true. If you buy an iPad, trust me because I know what I am talking about, you will love it!
Nice review, but Honda's are not over-priced like Apple products, and they don't make v1 that's missing a ton of features, only to introduce v2 a year later that obsoletes the v1.

Having played with the iPad for over an hour at the Apple store, and owning an iPhone / iPod Touch, I can see how people are easily smitten by this v1, but nah, not for me right now...

PS: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-20002130-243.html
When it comes to performing tasks not specifically designed for its hardware and operating system, the iPad is no match for even a $299 entry-level Netbook.

Last edited:
I had to enter my FiOS router password several times yesterday, which made me quite unhappy. Digging around, it appears one fix is to change the router from WEP to WPA.

I'm a bit aggravated and apprehensive about doing this because everything else wireless in the house (laptop, iMac, 2 iPhones, iPod Touch, 2 TiVos) will need to be rejiggered as well. Gonna call Apple today and vent a little angst their way.

To defend Apple, WEP really sucks and shouldn't be used any more. You should be using WPA2 which really is the only real security for home routers these days.

If you don't want WPA2, you may as well just leave your router unsecured, compared to the illusion of security that WEP provides.

I have a feeling if APPLE did their app store that way you guys would say it is BRILLIANT! :biggrin:

Personally, I would rather it be real money, but I don't care that much. People probably spend more when they spend POINTS vs DOLLARS.

By the Way, I am still waiting on all your negative comments on the Flash vs HTML5 post.

Flash is on the way out, get over it. And no, if Apple did a points system on their iTunes Store, it would be just as stupid as Microsoft's. Having said that, I gladly forked over money for Halo maps whenever they came out.

Back