Am I crazy for wanting a third NSX?

nahh i think everybody should have at least 3 nsx's ive had 5 at one time im down to 2 right now but eventually one will come up and it wil be in my posetion. good meeting at starbux today hope the drive was good and look forward to seeing everyone in colorado sometime soon

Daaammmnnnn! #3, I dont remember you mentioning considering #3, If you would have said something first we could have got you the help you need! No, seriously, SWEET, I mean they are all different. Now you have 3 bitchin cars to enjoy. 2 friends come over, lets go for a ride, instant NSX meet. Plus you would get to see your own cars in action. Way to go PHOEN$X. :smile:

Wow :eek: Way to go!! Don't believe you've lost your marbles at all -- I frequently regret selling my 91 and wish now I'd kept it when I got the 01 -- really had a different "feel" and drive experience. They are such great cars - just wish I had a 5-car garage!!

Tell us more about the new one! Jay

Good morning all, thanks for all the responses--especially the supportive ones. I feel a bit sick in the stomach about this because I'm usually NOT this impulsive. My head is still in a whirlwind. I was so exhausted last night that I passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow at junior40er's place. This post is probably going to be somewhat incoherent as I'm barely awake, so please forgive me.

Anyway, here's the story on this bone stock 93 NSX, for those of you not privy to it already. I had been really missing my 91 red/black coupe that I owned 10 years ago. I also wanted an NSX that I could daily drive without worrying about racking up the miles. A few of my friends in the NSX community knew of this and were kind enough to keep an eye out for me, but I didn't expect anything to come of it as demand for NSXs seems to be higher than ever, and clean, unmolested and reasonably priced cars are far & few between.

So imagine my shock and excitement when Coconut alerted me to this freshly listed craigslist ad on Tuesday, July 3rd.
craigslist.png

I didn't hesitate, and immediately raced into action. I called the seller, got the VIN and obtained the carfax (thanks again Coconut!). I verified that it was a clean title vehicle, and set about finding someone to check it out for me. Coconut was willing to help me get it inspected, but with July 4th being a holiday there were few options available to have it done. Luckily I was able to get a hold of macninja77, and he was extremely generous in not only agreeing to look at it on July 4th, but drive an hour to the seller's place to do so (the seller did not want to take the car out of his garage since he had no registration/insurance on it).

Macninja reported back to me and gave an enthusiastic thumbs up. He carefully inspected the body for damage and found none, and test drove the car and said it ran great. However, he informed me that the seller was thinking twice about selling because he had been flooded with calls about the car. Sure enough, when I called the seller back to make the purchase offer, the first sentence out of his mouth was "I think I priced my car too low". Not wanting to lose the deal, I offered the seller 21k (macninja thought it was easily worth that given the clean condition of the vehicle) and he accepted after talking it over with his wife.

I hopped on the first Southwest flight to Sacramento yesterday morning, at 6:00 A.M. I got to the airport bright and early so I wouldn't miss my flight.
2012-07-05_01.jpg

My chariot awaits. We didn't board until 5:50 A.M., so I was worried that something was wrong, but there were only 22 passengers so the flight didn't get delayed.
2012-07-05_02.jpg

Leaving the Valley of the Sun.
2012-07-05_04.jpg

I landed at the Sacramento airport just before 8:00 A.M., and the seller picked me up which was a relief because I was worried he might not show and decided to sell the car to someone else. After all, the airport was an hour away from his home. But he kept true to his word, and was waiting outside the Southwest terminal for me.
2012-07-05_05.jpg

He insisted that I check out the car and drive it before we sealed the deal, and the car looked and drove great for a 124k mile NSX. We went to the bank to exchange funds, and the car was mine!
2012-07-05_06.jpg

I wanted to meet macninja and personally thank him for his help, so I drove back up to Elk Grove to do so. The seller was also extremely impressed with macninja's knowledge of the NSX and his friendliness, and gave me $100 to deliver to mac to show his appreciation. Here is macninja's beautiful LBBP.
2012-07-05_13.jpg

I enjoyed meeting macninja and wanted to talk longer, but I was trying to make the 6:00 P.M. NSX meet in Costa Mesa so we bid adieu and I headed off. Here are a couple of photos that mac sent me. I'll see you again at NSXPO buddy! :)
2012-07-05_23.jpg

2012-07-05_24.jpg

I stopped for fuel outside of Stockton and was getting ready to cross 124k miles on the odo.
2012-07-05_15.jpg

I saw this from under the car and panic set in. I did not get a full PPI on the engine as majninja was only able to check out the car in the seller's garage, and not in his shop.
2012-07-05_16.jpg

Luckily it was just condensation from the air conditioning, which worked very well! :D
2012-07-05_17.jpg

I aired up the tires too (thanks CA law for mandatory free air/water with fuel purchase!).
2012-07-05_18.jpg

The temp and oil pressure were fine the whole trip.
2012-07-05_19.jpg

She ran like a champ, and I enjoyed driving her. One major disadvantage to owning an NA2 and NA1 though: I kept wanting to shift into 6th gear! :eek:
IMG_9201.JPG

Last oil change was nearly 2 years ago, haha.
2012-07-05_20.jpg

Need a new shift knob and stereo repair (makes crackling noise when changing volume).
2012-07-05_21.jpg

Trim will have to be refinished by SOS.
2012-07-05_22.jpg

Typical dash crack on many NSXs of this age and mileage. The car will be a DD so not too worried about it for now.
2012-07-05_25.jpg

I finally made it to South Coast Acura in Costa Mesa around 6:30 P.M. Lots of gorgeous NSXs! SoCal NSX owners are also extremely friendly, I can't thank them enough for the hospitality.
2012-07-05_29.jpg

Gorgeous Imola/ebony.
2012-07-05_26.jpg

Rare midnight pearl.
2012-07-05_27.jpg

MexiRicer's beautiful Monte Carlo Blue.
2012-07-05_28.jpg

My 93 next to YellowHaze.
IMG_9202.JPG

Nice bug eyes. :D
IMG_9203.JPG

IMG_9208.JPG

A viper next door.
IMG_9210.JPG

Kyra's immaculate LBBP 05.
IMG_9215.JPG

So clean!
IMG_9216.JPG

I like the tinted headlights.
IMG_9217.JPG

Patty's famous brownies. Now I know why they are so popular! Delicious!
IMG_9219.JPG

junior40er's wild ride.
IMG_9218.JPG

A few more shots before I head to junior40er's place to crash for the night. What a fun evening!
IMG_9222.JPG

IMG_9223.JPG

IMG_9224.JPG

IMG_9225.JPG

IMG_9226.JPG

Now to get ready and head back to Phoenix for poker night. Thanks California!

Last edited:
Hey K, let's start looking for a 4th. I say the next color should be white :biggrin:

Well, looks like I'll see the red one tonight. When am I ever going to see the Kaiser Silver now that you have 3???? :confused:

Great story, Write up and good deal!

P.S. LOVE THE SHIRT :)

Congrats again on the 3rd. I love the sickness you have :biggrin:

Macninja, I just realized you bought the wheels that are on your LBBP from my Service manager Kyle :)

Those brownies DO look delicious! Yum. Congrats, Kelvin, on the new ride! Was good chatting with you for a bit yesterday. Definitely look forward to meeting up with you when I'm back in PHX so I can see it in person. That 93 looks to be in pretty exceptional condition given the age & mileage - wear items appear consistent with stuff we expect on these (trim, dash crash). Hurry and get that oil changed - two years old, yikes. He really did leave the car sitting that long! Gorgeous new NSX! Time to boot your Accord from the garage!

I just can't believe I have spent more just on mods now than two cars like this cost. Almost 3. I could have a stable of stock NSX's. Let's see... At this price, and for what I am into mine, I could have.... SIX... Six NSX's, one in each color (except LBBP) :mad:

Anyway, looks really clean. Great price and congrats.

Last edited:
I'm seriously thinking I should get a second NSX now.

I saw this from under the car and panic set in. I did not get a full PPI on the engine as majninja was only able to check out the car in the seller's garage, and not in his shop.
2012-07-05_16.jpg

Need a new shift knob and stereo repair (makes crackling noise when changing volume).

That got me the first time I drove mine too. They don't tell you in the "picking up your NSX" guides that water dripping from right behind the battery is normal...

I'm not so sure you need stereo repair, mine was crackling for a while after I picked it up but that was just from sitting so long. Just give the volume knob a few good spins while the stereo is off to get it back in the groove of things and it should work fine.

I'm seriously thinking I should get a second NSX now.

I think three is perfect - bone stock garage queen (preferably rare color + low miles), bone stock daily driver (perhaps with a nice stereo or something), and gutted/tuned/prepped track toy.

Your car on the other hand seems to be all three in one vehicle :)

Your car on the other hand seems to be all three in one vehicle :)

Thanks that's actually been my goal. A car that is nice to drive I can drive right onto a track and kick ass but it's been expensive to make and then I realize what a huge risk it is on the track.

I would love to have 3 like you suggested. Yes!!!

Congratulations Kelvin!
I figured that since you and I both have two NSXs, we must be quite crazy. However, you sir, are now certifiable!

Let's see if we can get your brother to buy my car ;-)

Last edited:
Congratulations Kelvin!
I figured that since you and I both have two NSXs, we must be quite crazy. However, you sir, are now certifiable!

Let's see if we can get your brother to buy my car ;-)

LOL!!! Congrats again on the new baby!! I have yet to reschedule a trip back up to San Jose but will let you know when I do!! :biggrin:

Crazy cool, Kelvin! Congrats! Too bad I couldn't make it.

Which one are you going to drive to NSXPO? I'm debating whether or not I'm going to make the drive...

LOL!!! Congrats again on the new baby!! I have yet to reschedule a trip back up to San Jose but will let you know when I do!! :biggrin:

Thank you very much!
Please do let me know when you are back in the area.
:-)

Awesome story. Congrats!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

That got me the first time I drove mine too. They don't tell you in the "picking up your NSX" guides that water dripping from right behind the battery is normal...

I'm not so sure you need stereo repair, mine was crackling for a while after I picked it up but that was just from sitting so long. Just give the volume knob a few good spins while the stereo is off to get it back in the groove of things and it should work fine.

I have used a can of compressed air before to remedy the crackling noise. Usually it's dirt and stuff in the contact for the volume knobs.

Kelvin, I'm really glad to have met you last night at South Coast Acura. Now I have a face to go with PHOEN$X. I'll have to back up and read the thread from the beginning now that I know the ending. Funny that I flew out of Sacramento airport on Monday night and you flew in on Thursday morning. I'm glad the deal worked out so well for you! You're a friendly guy, too. :smile:

Back