Do you still have ABS in your car

• Yes it's working

Votes: 51 68.0%
  • No I took it out

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I'm not sure if it's working or not

Votes: 15 20.0%

• Total voters
RYU - be forewarned that you will lock-up at the track especially if you are aggressive with your brakes and using R compound.
Good to know Hrant. Thanks for the 411.

I don't expect to be running R-Comps anytime soon. Actually i've having a blast on 215s. I will progress to a 235 NT-01 maybe next year and i'm also running on the least aggressive pads I can find for my BBK. It's virtually equivalent to Hawk HPS's. They don't wear out at all (i'm shocked actually) so i'll see how it goes with the ABS disabled.

I see some guys post here on prime who are using aggressive pads on BBKs... i've had better luck going the other way especially on street tires. I haven't experienced fade yet and the pads and rotors are lasting forever.

I have a set of Porterfield R4S on standby.

I went through a set of r4s to backing plate in one weekend....they just crumbled to nothingness......never again.

take it for it is a data point..there are some who rave about them..but not me and not at wgi.

lol...I've got big shoulders........I can't count how many track events I've done when the car was not 100% and i had to work around either a cel,or brake shudder,and i've been flat bedded due to clutch,wheel bearing nut coming loose.I've driven the car home on 5 cylinders...ect.....comes with the territory.

RYU - the R4S is a bit old technology. I recall it was the choice for many on stock brakes back in the late 1990s, and they lasted about 3-track days at best if pushed ..... And if you dojohn, perhaps one day!

I have used Carbotech X6, transitioned to X8 for track on stock brakes and they were perfect; with the StopTech BBK I went with XP10 for track and X6 for street. Based on my driving, I find that XP8 would be a better choice for track. And the XP10 seems to last forever .........

If you need a set of the Axxis pads that came with StopTech, I have one posted on the sale for over a year now ;-)

I might have to step up to Carbotech (my original first choice) as a backup for my backup R4S. Baaah.. this blows. Another $300 down the drain.

I might try the X6 for the track on nothing stickier than ZI/ZIIs for the rest of the year. My rotors are massive (335mm front/355mm rear) so heating them up on street tires is laughable. Would you guys recommend against the X6 for the track? HOw's the dust and squeal? (Not that I really care lol but want to ask anyway).

I have the 98-01 integra ABS conversion in my car. I designed it and made it plug-n-play for the NSX. No check engine lights, ABS lights or other lights. It is designed to work with the TCS and the factory ABS computer. The only issue is under extreme braking, the bias to the rear is still off. I need to get the Wilwood adjustable brake bias valves and throw them inline to fix the problem. I was going to piece kits together for Primers, but I wanted to work out everything first. This isn't a money making venture, just another option for people on a budget. I already did a few NSXs that were daily driven and they said it works great, but I still want more testing.

Thanks,
Jay

Would love a pic of your setup.
I have the 98-01 integra ABS conversion in my car. I designed it and made it plug-n-play for the NSX. No check engine lights, ABS lights or other lights. It is designed to work with the TCS and the factory ABS computer. The only issue is under extreme braking, the bias to the rear is still off. I need to get the Wilwood adjustable brake bias valves and throw them inline to fix the problem. I was going to piece kits together for Primers, but I wanted to work out everything first. This isn't a money making venture, just another option for people on a budget. I already did a few NSXs that were daily driven and they said it works great, but I still want more testing.

Thanks,
Jay

RYU - in my opinion, for not advanced intermediate level trackers, the X6 is the ideal compromise between street and track. They dust more than OEM but not necessarily excessive. They wash off easily and they are rotor friendly. You will hear mixed reports on squeal; almost all track focused pads squeal when they are cold. One way to solve the squeal of the X6 - which I successfully achieved, is to chafe the edges by 1/8" angle. Carbotech can actually offer that service for you.

I used to pull the fuse(clock upfront) and found no real benefits the way i drive on track so I have it enabled.I'm pretty easy on my brakes,thats my style.
The key thing to keep in mind with track driving is, if you exercise proper threshold braking, you'll never activate the ABS. It only activates if you go past the threshold and use so much brake that you lose traction. And if you do that - especially in the rain - then you're probably better off with the ABS working. Which goes back to this Caustic remark:

You never need ABS, until you do.

I'm no expert but that integra unit looks very similar to the nsx specific unit I have.

I spent very little and got a junk yard ABS unit from a 98+ Integra for this test purpose. I reused the 91 NSX ABS mounting bracket and lines FROM the ABS TO the front wheels. I purchased 02+ NSX brake lines FROM the master cylinder TO the ABS pump. I also purchased 02+ NSX lines FROM the ABS pump TO a new 02+ NSX rear proportioning valve and 02+ NSX lines FROM the proportioning valve TO the 91 distribution block in the far back corner on the driver's side firewall. The harness I made using my old ABS wiring. I reverse engineered the electrical schematics and made a plug-n-play harness to the integra ABS unit. Now my 91 ABS computer runs the integra pump. I tried an RSX pump also as it is most similar to the NSX pump (and it has traction control), but the 4 wires that run from the RSX pump to the 91 factory ECU (to control the TCS) would have to be integrated. I was not sure if this was a digital or analog signal and it wasn't my car I was guinea pigging....so I didn't want to risk burning up Ravi's ECU. I am pretty sure it would work, but I didn't want to risk it. I still want to work on this more, but I work constantly and haven't had much time. I really need to buy some of those wilwood adjustable proportioning valves and throw them inline with the rears to fix the bias problem.

yes i have the sos upgrade kit.

The upgrade kit, which has the newer style NSX ABS pump has the ABS computer mounted on the pump unlike the older ones that have a seperate monstrosity behind the glove box. The integra pump has a smaller computer, but it is still not integrated in the pump. The rsx, s2000, newer accords and TLs have the integrated style like the newer NSX pump. All newer styles have TCS wires that go to the vehicle's ECU.

Back