2nd Gen Iphone

Mine lasts all day unless I'm doing a really crazy amount of web browsing. If you don't use the web much, you can get 2-3 days on a charge though.

oh if you really get on it, you'll drain that battery. I was glad music still plays through my Kenwood headunit (DDX-7015), but disappointed that now it doesn't charge my iPhone's battery. Maybe it's different on the newer headunits that actually use USB for connecting to iPods/iPhones.

battery life with decent phone usage seems to be about 1-2 days.

use with internet, about 1 day.

heavy use, obviously less

On the other side of things, I drained my battery in just a few hours downloading a ton of apps over 3G and listening to music the whole time :rolleyes:

Anyone that got the new iPhone have a newer headunit with a USB port to connect an iPod?? I'd like to know if that will charge the iPhone.

Hehehe :) BTW, thanks for your review.. I think it made it up. Yeah I was debating about the default high scores -- I think they are too high to start with, but my partner wanted them high. I should probably lower them.

I've been redesigning the graphics on it this weekend -- tell me what you think. I'm planning on rolling this out in the next couple of days:

Hah, I made the #10 spot! :D

Must stop playing and get some work done...

just to let everyone know , if you want to sell your 1st gen iphone DO NOT INSTALL 2.0 KEEP 1.1.4 / 2.0 cannot be unlocked if the future owner wants to unlock it.

just to let everyone know , if you want to sell your 1st gen iphone DO NOT INSTALL 2.0 KEEP 1.1.4 / 2.0 cannot be unlocked if the future owner wants to unlock it.

I think you can downgrade it and then jailbreak and unlock the phone.

I've read that it's a major pain in the ass to downgrade.

I just got an email from a friend that got one with me and he is loving it. He's been through several phones as well. We both got the SK3 when it first came out a few years ago. He then moved to a T-Mobile Dash, then Blackberry. My friend says that he wishes he would have gotten the original iPhone last year instead of messing with Blackberry. He's was on his third phone. Oh yeah, he's a recent convert to Macs as well.

Oh yeah, we left work to get our phones lol. We stood in line with our flight suits on. ;) Sbarro, See's , and others were kind enough to give out free food/samples at the mall.

I didn't even know this, but reading a review, I just found out there is Image save with Safari and Mail to your Camera roll now!

Woohoo!!! just sold my old 8gb for $300 bringing my effective out of pocket to upgrade to a 16gb 3G to just under $40 :biggrin: The guy was happy as hell too!

Woohoo!!! just sold my old 8gb for $300 bringing my effective out of pocket to upgrade to a 16gb 3G to just under $40 :biggrin: The guy was happy as hell too!

It's a win/win situation.

Also, to take a screen shot on your iPhone, press the sleep/wake and home button at the same time. Images are saved to your camera roll.

Hey Arshad, do you know if there's an iPhone browser emulator (maybe as part of an SDK)? There's a few websites I'd like to test and see if they render correctly on the iPhone, but I don't have an iPhone to test. I don't have a Mac either, but I'm guessing a Windows version of an iPhone browser emulator is probably out there :).

YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE 2.0 to 1.14 or anything else , the RADIO IS STILL 2.0 and that cannot be erased. I tried everything today , at my office we usually unlock everything ,and i spent the past 12 hours reading and got stuck in the same place , as of now it cannot be unlocked but there are several iphone teams working on it.

YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE 2.0 to 1.14 or anything else , the RADIO IS STILL 2.0 and that cannot be erased. I tried everything today , at my office we usually unlock everything ,and i spent the past 12 hours reading and got stuck in the same place , as of now it cannot be unlocked but there are several iphone teams working on it.

I have read that you CAN downgrade, but that it is a major pain in the ass.

One can downgrade a 1st gen iPhone that has been updated to 2.0 firmware back to 1.1.x but it *is* a pain in the ass. According to the site I visit about hacking the phone, you have to have iTunes 7.5, too (not the latest version 7.7 that has the app store).

But I believe that the iPhone 3G, which comes out of the box with 2.0 installed, cannot be downgraded to earlier revs of the firmware. I would guess that there are areas of the new 2.0 that's for the GPS and/or 3G network so you might even lose functionality if you found a way to downgrade to a previous rev.

My guess is that there will soon be a jailbreak/unlock for the 3G phone soon... maybe in the next couple of months.

Personally, I have an original iPhone that used to be jailbroken that I've updated to Apple's new 2.0 firmware. With the app store, I can install a lot of cool 3rd party apps, many of them "legit" versions of the old stuff I installed via the jailbreak. The only app(s) I miss are the iPhysics ones.

GPS and 3G aren't enough for me to move to the new phone, really, but people talking about selling their 1st gen phones for 300 makes it tempting.

J

I was very careful to keep 1.1.4 on it and make note of that as a selling point. The guy said he had been looking for one and everyone had inadvertantly upgraded.

Hey Arshad, do you know if there's an iPhone browser emulator (maybe as part of an SDK)? There's a few websites I'd like to test and see if they render correctly on the iPhone, but I don't have an iPhone to test. I don't have a Mac either, but I'm guessing a Windows version of an iPhone browser emulator is probably out there :).

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure .. haven't really looked into that aspect of things. If there is a particular page you'd like me to try, I can surf to it and grab a screenshot if you'd like? If you can get access to a Mac somehow, you can also download the free SDK and run the simulator. You can then launch the browser from within the simulator and it'll look exactly as it would on the phone.

Last edited:
I have read that you CAN downgrade, but that it is a major pain in the ass.

Yeah I've done it, but it's somewhat painful. Took a while to figure it out, but I ended up going back to an older version of iTunes, forcing 1.1.4 on there, then once it gets stuck in DFU mode, use a tool like Independance to get it out of that mode. You can then freely unlock and downgrade the baseband (radio) firmware.

You're an Apple/electronics guru... do you have any idea how to resolve this issue with charging only over firewire? Car charger is out of the question because then I can't play my music through my Kenwood DDX-7015. Maybe rewire the cable on the interface??

You're an Apple/electronics guru... do you have any idea how to resolve this issue with charging only over firewire? Car charger is out of the question because then I can't play my music through my Kenwood DDX-7015. Maybe rewire the cable on the interface??

Actually I'm not an electronics guru at all :) Sorry, I'm a little confused, what exactly are you trying to do?

Actually I'm not an electronics guru at all :) Sorry, I'm a little confused, what exactly are you trying to do?

After doing some more research, I found out that Apple dropped Firewire support on the iPhone 3G. so basically any charger/interface/adapter that used the firewire pins on the dock connector to charge a device will no longer work to charge the iPhone 3G, it only charges thru the USB pins now on the connector.

I was thinking about cracking open my ipod interface and rewiring the affected pins. That's a no go though, Firewire used 12v , while USB uses 5v to charge devices. I would have to step down the 12v, or find a 5v source in the interface. I hear rumors of adapters coming out soon.

Looks like I might have to get this Kensington car charger with pass through dock connector. At least until some other form of inline adapter comes out.
DH33368.jpg

Does anyone regret getting the 2nd gen iphone 3G? I believe it's and additional $30.00 a month. Still on the fence whether to get it or not? I have a week to decide.

Anyone that got the new iPhone have a newer headunit with a USB port to connect an iPod?? I'd like to know if that will charge the iPhone.

My Alpine iDA-X001 head unit has a USB port that connects to my iPhone 3g. It plays the music fine and charges the phone, but makes the phone go into airplane mode, so I would miss calls. I'm just keeping my 8GB nano plugged into the Alpine. I have a Griffin Cigarette Lighter / USB charger if needed for the phone.

Back