0-60 and 1/4 mile times

• Thread starter Thread starter C32B
  • Start date Start date
Doug... GREAT POINT !!! C32B seems to follow the trend of most of the younger drivers out there that have gotten all into the Fast and the Furious nonsense that having a car with power makes you a race car driver. I think there are way too many inexperienced drivers out there running around in cars they have no business driving. As has been alluded to in other recent posts, this mentality is killing people almost every day in street racing. Just because you may have the money or ability to build a car that is very fast, as a 500+ HP NSX would qualify ... does not mean you can begin to know how to handle it. <br> I have been through a fair share of race schools and know a few serious drivers in Pro Rally and IMSA Supercar Championship Series and GTO series that are instructors and former coworkers of mine ... we have talked at length as to the fact 99% of the people who modify their cars aren't even able to drive them to their potential at stock HP/TQ. Further, you should not instantly try to mod your car to max power ... take things in steps and learn the result of each mod or group of mods as they are installed ... constantly learning to push the car to its limit before looking for the next upgrade. You may well find 270 HP to be plenty for at least a few years. The NSX will probably out-drive you for quite awhile before you need to start looking at power upgrades.<br>
Another thing to note is everything you do to your car should be carried in balance. If you power up your car with anything near 500 HP, how do you plan on stopping it? Factory brakes will burn up very quickly trying to slow the kind of momentum 500HP would get you. What about in corners ... if you aren't fully aware of every HP across the RPM band you will end up twisting it around a guard rail and become another street racer statistic. The factory suspension is well balanced for a car with around 300hp, not 500... do you plan on doing a full suspension upgrade to coil overs, huge sway bars, all Polly bushings, etc.?<br>
I am nobody to say don't get the car, but listen to all the people here who have them and if you can cut the personal BS and absorb what everyone is saying to you, hopefully you will be able to make a sensible decision as to what kind of expectations you should have.

I had a high IQ when I was a teen, but the difference between you and I, is that I did not have money, and at age 16 I was already in college. Also, eventhough you think you are smart, try not to be so arrogant. We have members on this forum with less IQ than you, but carry Ivy League degrees and make a good living. You should listen to them. Learning is a continuous process, and the most valuable things I've learned in life did not come from books, but from others and personal experience.

Sig said:
For all the flack thrown this poor guy's way, I think he has taken it very well.... especially for a 15 year old.
He did not say he is 15. He only said that he has not yet reached 16.

Sig said:
As for the rest of your money, one word... plastics :)
Even someone twice C32B's age is too young to be familiar with the movie that is the source of that line.

C32B, I understand your enthusiasm to buy a great car like the NSX, I would also heed the advice from those that have gone before you in the NSX arena and school, business .you have received some good general guidance in the matter but in the end it's your money your life but please try to take into account the members want to help you not hurt you. Proceed with a well-calculated methodical plan if you do indeed move forward with this.
Manage your affairs wisely. Best of luck in your endeavors whatever path you take.

Best Regards David

Originally posted by nsxtasy [/i
Even someone twice C32B's age is too young to be familiar with the movie that is the source of that line. [/B]

That is from The Graduate, sir. I'm 21 years old.

To answer your original question, I believe the 3.5 litre JGTC NSX's are making approximately 500 hp naturally aspirated. Maybe you should spend the $$ importing that motor to the US.

Shake said:
That is from The Graduate, sir. I'm 21 years old.

Beat me to the punch. I first saw that fine film at the tender age of 15, nearly 12 years ago. It changed my life, (and no, I didn't go into plastics).

As for the original subject, everything has been said that needs to be said. A normally aspirated NSX is going to have a hard time cracking 300 rwhp. The NSX is not the car for someone primarily concerned with straight-line speed, but still a very nice car indeed, and in all likelihood its purchase would quell the desire to pump it up to 500 hp, at least for a few years.

I do wish I had some IQ test results to post. I can say I scored in the top 1% on every standardized test I have taken. (ACT, SAT, LSAT, to name but a few).

What does that mean for me today? Hard to say. Does it make me 'better' than someone else? Not unless one uses a very narrow definition of superiority.

i concur on the opinion that heck if it's his dinero, then who should care, aside from him, how he spends it. Unforunately, my IQ consistently tests at 63, which is supposedly at the same level of a poorly trained monkey. Fortunately, i had videotape of the director of admissions at my future medical school which if released could cause severe embaressment, not to mention explosive bowel decompression. So, by using street smarts vs. intellectual capacity, i got into med school so i could make enuf to buy an NSX.

and as far as 25k vs. 40k for MIT, he might have been referring strictly to tuition vs. full living expenses, which is how a lot of high schoolers and college people think, when money is not a major issue.

peiserg said:
my IQ consistently tests at 63, which is supposedly at the same level of a poorly trained monkey.
Well, I AM a poorly trained monkey!!! :D

peiserg said:
and as far as 25k vs. 40k for MIT, he might have been referring strictly to tuition vs. full living expenses
No, he wasn't, because his exact quote was, "MIT is app. $25,000/year to live on campus".

Few questions for C32B

Wow! What a thread!

Congrats to the NSX cummunity for your excellent advices
( especially to Lud who answered perfectly to C32B questions )

To C32B here are some questions for you ( don't take it too seriously ;) )

Question 1:

Why do you think a 500 hp NA NSX isn't available yet in USA where there is "lots" of rich NSX enthousiasts willing to spend certainly several time 350K$ on performance or in corollary why do you think that almost twelve years after its introduction, you are the first wishing a 500 hp NA NSX?

I know that you now know the answer otherwise you would'nt have changed your plans... but the answer was kind of obvious.

Question 2:

I understand that when we love a car unless it is a Mc Laren F1 or a Ferrari Enzo we would like it to be the best above all the others. Why did you flash on having a 500 hp NA NSX ?

some suggestions

a) for making your pre cited 0-60 time and 1/4.

b) for being sure to blow any eventual other student's 966TT,
Z06, Vipers, and italians exotics.

c) to prove Japanese car superiority over domestic cars.

d) of course any other answer could be considered...

Question 3:

Can you find the value of ? in the following number serie? And explain why please.

?
10 000
1 111 111 111 111 111

Question 4:

Do you think that this real number 0,99999999... strickly equals ONE?

Yes or no can you prove it?

Question 5:

Is there more ways to make noise or more ways to make music?

More seriously, I admire your dream of owning a 500 hp NA NSX and I hope this dream was hiding a wish for an NSX ( read a super balanced reliable sports car for the road ) having a power to weight ratio under 2,5 kg per hp.

Maybe you should buy a nice and affordable '91 and wait for the next gen NSX?

As many other members of prime told you, also spend lots of time in driving schools and track time to deserve only a stock 3,0L NSX.

"Invest" in creating a V8 made of two S2K engine... you wouldn't mind having 480 hp instead of 500?

You already know that the NSX is an outstanding sportscar because of its balance, and obviously this is what is the most important: BALANCE, and this apply almost everywhere and more precisely in life: having only a high IQ is totally useless if you only have that ( I do not say that YOU only have that ), it will not garantee you success nor happiness.

There is SO MANY other factors involved and the bottom line for succes is most of the time a matter of WORK, WORK, WORK, ...
combined with talent and timing.

Think of winning the F1 driver's championship with only the best engine...

Personnally I do believe that IQ measurements are TOTAL BS and SURELY IN THE PURPOSE OF EVALUATING SOMEONE'S VALUE OR RESPECTABILITY...( I say this even if I know mine wich is very... i won't tell it! :D )

I would appreciate some answers to my questions...

"Le tact en matière d'audace est de savoir jusqu' où on peut aller trop loin"
Jean Cocteau

effer said:
"Le tact en matière d'audace est de savoir jusqu' où on peut aller trop loin"
Jean Cocteau
Literally, "Tact, in matters of audacity, is knowing up to where (i.e. how far) one can go too far."

A quick web search shows several similar, alternative translations:

"Tact in audacity is knowing how far you can go without going too far."

"Tact is knowing how far to go too far."

"Tact in audacity consists in knowing how far we may go too far."

Back in 95, my 92 made 325 rwhp. This was from a 230 rwhp start. We did what was available at the time: 11:1 Arias, SS valves, PP heads and intake, Bored the TB, stock cams, titanium retainers, custom vale springs, Stand alone Motec M48 Pro with harness, DC headers, no cats, HKS, UNI filter, 9300 redline. The car was very streetable, however, most of the power came after 6500 rpm. Total cost I think was over 16,000.

500 HP is probably closer to 400 rwhp and you will be opening up a whole new can of worms. As far a a stoker crank, I don't know of any. I have a set of billet titanium rods good for 250 hp/cylinder and they are lighter than stock, but they cost 3500 for the set. Suprisingly, the design focus on conrods is aimed at preventing the rod from being pulled apart rather than bending. Pistons are easy. Higher compression pistons may give you another 10-20 hp but you really become race fuel anchored. Velocity stacks and individual TBs may get you another 20 hp. I believe Chris at Science of Speed is doing something like that. In summary, you can get 400 hp within your budget, but 400 rwhp is not likely. Assuming you can open everything up without affecting velocity, you would still need another 2000 rpm, which would put you well above 11krpm Although the sound coming out of the driver side vent of the NSX was more intoxicting than that of a Ferrari 355, I never could beat my friend's Vortech SC NSX which made more HP for less. Good Luck

Also, try buying a used NSX with many of the mods you plan to do. I think there was a Comptech works NSX a little while back. You never get what you put into a custom car so that could save you lots of money for MIT. Regards.

nsxtasy said:
Literally, "Tact, in matters of audacity, is knowing up to where (i.e. how far) one can go too far."

A quick web search shows several similar, alternative translations:

"Tact in audacity is knowing how far you can go without going too far."

"Tact is knowing how far to go too far."

"Tact in audacity consists in knowing how far we may go too far."

I was tempted to give right away a translation of it but I knew that some great minds here were daring to give it a try.

I agree with your version number one and number last. Those in the middle aren't perfectly respecting the author's mind IMHO.

Wich version of yours found sounds better in english?

I might be tempted by this one:

Tact in audacity is knowing how far we can go too far.

Thinking of Cocteau, reminds me some of my favorites bands: Cocteau Twins, This Mortal Coil, Dead Can Dance... and not to forget one of my favorite singer Siouxsie Sioux of Siouxsie and the Banshees and The Creatures...

Well I'm now knowing that this is too far in this topic !:) :) :)

Thanks nsxtasy.

If you wish you can send me e mail at [email protected] if you would like to give your thoughts about my questions to C32B.

Don't answer here, I want the kid to do some thinking. :D

while balance IS nice...

To quote:

"You already know that the NSX is an outstanding sportscar because of its balance, and obviously this is what is the most important: BALANCE, and this apply almost everywhere and more precisely in life: having only a high IQ is totally useless if you only have that ( I do not say that YOU only have that ), it will not garantee you success nor happiness."

I agree, balance is key, i.e. everything in moderation, as they say.. however, occasionally it is nice to get a ride in say, an 767 RWHP single turbo supra like i did this weekend. :D :D :D :D
Wow. I "used" to think my friends TT supra with 400RWHP was fast...this beast crushed it by well over 30 cars, then proceeded to teach a bullet bike (not sure of manufacture or displacement) that he was NOT the fastest thing around.:eek: :eek:
can't recall exact specs, but i believe it was stock block with t-78 at 28psi on 110 octane.

Last edited:
lowellhigh79 said:
500 HP is probably closer to 400 rwhp and you will be opening up a whole new can of worms.
It might be even more difficult than that. The drivetrain losses on the stock NSX are around 13 percent (235 rwhp vs 270 crank hp). If that percentage holds up with power mods, you would need to achieve 435 rwhp to equate to 500 crank hp.

effer said:
Wich version of yours found sounds better in english?
They all sound somewhat awkward.

While not exactly a literal translation, I would prefer,

"Tact is knowing how far is too far."

or, better yet,

"The difference between tact and audacity is knowing how far is too far."

I think you guys scared him off for good:eek: I'm afraid for him.

jlindy said:
I think you guys scared him off for good
Well, Lud did say,

Lud said:
Finally, you language above is unaccaptable on this forum. Clean it up or you will not be welcome here.
And I see that the language in question has not been cleaned up...

Back