0-60 and 1/4 mile times

• Thread starter Thread starter C32B
  • Start date Start date
By no means did I attempt to be confrontational, and if I did, my apologies.

I don't want a straight line car.

When I read your thread titled0-60, and 1/4 mile times , to me that instantly meant straight line. I don't know of too many people that do 1/4 mile tests on curved roads.:confused:

If you have the money, and have the IQ--like I said--more power to you. All I said that it is unlikely. This is an open forum, and I was merely adding some personal insight.

Have a good night.

ravi

C32B said:
Can anybody answer the original questions?
The pragmatic answer to your question is that you've overconstrained the problem and that "you can't get there from here." Good luck to you in your endeavors and if you're as smart as you think you are, then I hope to see you at the secret society meetings. BTW, I'll tell you then the same as I've posted here...

I would think 500 n/a hp would be possible, but not worth it.

ravi

STOCKTONSX said:
By no means did I attempt to be confrontational, and if I did, my apologies.

When I read your thread titled0-60, and 1/4 mile times , to me that instantly meant straight line. I don't know of too many people that do 1/4 mile tests on curved roads.:confused:

If you have the money, and have the IQ--like I said--more power to you. All I said that it is unlikely. This is an open forum, and I was merely adding some personal insight.

Have a good night.

ravi

I don't need to ask people what they've done to make their car handle better or how good it handles. I already know I'm getting rims/tires/coilovers. Yes, I was referring to what the car can do in a straight line. The faster a good handling car can do in a straight line, the faster it can move around curves or a track.

Please don't be condescending C32b, we're all adults here. Just because a car is fast straight line doesn't mean that it will have the same nature around a track or course.

HP is always good, but having skill as a driver is better. I know people that have Viper GTS's that get schooled around the track in lesser cars (both in hp, and handling).

This thread is boring the hell out of me.
33.gif

Don't take it personal man, it's just the Internet.

ravi:rolleyes:

C32B said:
Ok then, it's been a loooong time since I checked the tuition price. I misquoted it. My bad. Please don't call me "kid," I don't like it.

$25,000 vs $40,000. You're 15 now--how long as it been since you last checked? Probably around the time you took your IQ test at age 13 (what is that, grade 7?) and found out you are a genius? The last time it was anywhere near $25,000 was in 1993, a good ten years ago, when base tuition was $18,000+board and expenses~25,000 so you must have really "misquoted it".

You would think a MIT candidate, even a proclaimed genius at age 13, would have his or her hands full with studying, let alone purchasing a ten year old car and rebuilding its engine along with the work necessary to tune it to a level everyone else deems highly unattainable.

What is really interesting is had you not brought up your age, or your genius, or your incredible wealth (all of which have give absolutely nothing to do with your original question—why even reveal this?), you probably would have gotten an even sourer response—as the stupid go-fast yahoo.

You must be loving this attention; that's the only reason I can come up with. And if that's the case you might have to work on something else before your NSX.

You cannot build a streetable 500 HP naturally aspirated NSX regardless of budget. If you could buy a JGTC race engine, which you cannot, the engine alone is well over $100k, but they are not for sale unless you happen to own a JGTC race team anyway.

Your idea of putting a "JDM" NSX engine into a US car is nonsensical. The JDM engine is virtually identical to the US engine. An engine swap is not going to result in a power boost.

If you were to custom build a big HP n/a engine, it would cost considerably more than $100k, take an enourmous amount of time, and then you would still be left with an unstreetable car that would make all it's power at the top-end and require rebuilding as often as most people change their oil.

You can build a streetable 500HP NSX using forced induction. The total cost for the project will be on the order of $20,000 on top of the purchase price of the car. See http://www.pansx.com

Why don't you direct 1% of your great intellect to learning a little bit more about cars and engine building so you can set realistic goals and make informed decisions. With an IQ of 176 (which, I believe, is 99.9999 percentile or higher on almost any scale used in the last 3 years -- 98% is somewhere south of 140), I'm sure you will have no trouble digesting a couple ME texts.

P.S. Maybe you should consider getting a drivers license and actually getting some seat time in various cars before you decide which one to buy.

P.P.S Do you know this guy? http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19476

Moab said:
$25,000 vs $40,000. You're 15 now--how long as it been since you last checked? Probably around the time you took your IQ test at age 13 (what is that, grade 7?) and found out you are a genius? The last time it was anywhere near $25,000 was in 1993, a good ten years ago, when base tuition was $18,000+board and expenses~25,000 so you must have really "misquoted it".

You would think a MIT candidate, even a proclaimed genius at age 13, would have his or her hands full with studying, let alone purchasing a ten year old car and rebuilding its engine along with the work necessary to tune it to a level everyone else deems highly unattainable.

What is really interesting is had you not brought up your age, or your genius, or your incredible wealth (all of which have give absolutely nothing to do with your original question—why even reveal this?), you probably would have gotten an even sourer response—as the stupid go-fast yahoo.

You must be loving this attention; that's the only reason I can come up with. And if that's the case you might have to work on something else before your NSX.

OK! I got the point. I was WAY off about tuition. Hands full with studying?? It's still summer!!! Even then, it's not like I take extra classes, I just do harder ones. I have already decided that I'm a dumbass for mentioning that I'm a kid because all of the sudden nobody take you seriously. I'm not loving this attention. I haven't got any damn answers. Anyway, why the hell do I care if a bunch of people on message boards believe me? I don't give a *DELTED* . If you think my IQ is 95 and that I'm full of *DELTED* , well, GOOD FOR YOU!

You cannot build a streetable 500 HP naturally aspirated NSX regardless of budget. If you could buy a JGTC race engine, which you cannot, the engine alone is well over $100k, but they are not for sale unless you happen to own a JGTC race team anyway.

Actually, a Toda racing GT500 (I know they it says GT300 on their site) is $75,000. They only sell to FIA certified racing teams.

Your idea of putting a "JDM" NSX engine into a US car is nonsensical. The JDM engine is virtually identical to the US engine. An engine swap is not going to result in a power boost.

The 1990-1996 NSX's come with the C30A. The 1997-present NSX's come with the C32B. I'm probably going to buy an older one and the stroker crank/rods/forged pistons I want will only fit the C32B. So unless any of you have a C32B with less then 35,000 miles on it, I'm going to have to special order a firggen engine from something like hmotorsonline.com.

If you were to custom build a big HP n/a engine, it would cost considerably more than $100k, take an enourmous amount of time, and then you would still be left with an unstreetable car that would make all it's power at the top-end and require rebuilding as often as most people change their oil.

I'm not so sure about $100,000. I'm yet to find titanium valves, titanium valve retainers, piston sleeves, and fuel upgrades.

I could probably completely build an NSX engine for under $30,000. I have no idea how much HP that would give me, but there isn't all that many parts I have left to find.

C32B said:
I have already decided that I'm a dumbass for mentioning that I'm a kid because all of the sudden nobody take you seriously.
I'm sure nobody would be taking you seriously anyway - if not with your initial post, then soon enough - because you haven't thought through your plans, you don't know much about what you're planning, and you're not listening to anything people here are telling you - which is a bad combination.

Would people have figured out that you are a kid (the word you don't want us to use, but you used it)? Maybe, maybe not. The fact is, maturity isn't always correlated with age.

I know some 14 year old kids who are very mature. They listen to others, particularly those with more experience. They appreciate good advice. They don't throw their achievements in your face. They don't get upset when someone doesn't take them seriously because of their age. These are signs of maturity.

I also know some adults two to three times as old, who are not very mature, and respond to situations the same way you are doing.

So, people may or may not have figured out that you are young (below driving age) had you not mentioned it. But they certainly would have figured out your maturity level.

C32B said:
I haven't got any damn answers.
Actually, you have. You just haven't bothered listening to them. You have gotten answers (particularly from Lud) to your questions about your plans for the car, and why they are unrealistic.

You have also gotten some very good advice along the way about your life situation. Maybe you didn't ask, but people give you this advice because they want to be helpful. Most of us are older than you. Age doesn't mean that we can make your decisions for you, but it does mean that we have been exposed to more decisions in our lives, more serious decisions, and have learned about consequences. We have made mistakes and have learned from them, and are willing to pass those lessons along to help you avoid making mistakes yourself. Most of us have done pretty well financially, well enough to afford an NSX - and most of us know that financial success doesn't automatically correlate with wisdom. Many of us have gone to some of the top schools in the country - at least one member of this board turned down acceptances at MIT for undergraduate and graduate school - and many of us also know that the quality of an educational institution doesn't necessarily correlate with wisdom, either. I would be willing to bet that (a) your IQ isn't 176 - and I say this just because 176 is extremely unusual (even 160 is only one person in 10,000), but maybe you do have a high IQ (even 135 puts you in the top 2 percent) - and also that (b) there are some people on this board who have a higher IQ than you do. And IQ doesn't necessarily correlate with wisdom, either.

However, you are getting a lot of good advice here - yes, wisdom - from others. Some of whom went to better schools than MIT, some went to lesser schools, some didn't even graduate from college, but most are providing good advice. Some have a higher IQ than you do, some lower - but most are providing good advice. What you do with that advice is up to you - and what you do will reflect whether you have any wisdom and maturity to go with your bragadoccio and allegedly high IQ, or not. Your choice.

Why are we picking on him? It's his money, intellectual... and he can use it on anything and at anytime he wish. For some reason, I don't think this board is getting very polite.

NSXSAN said:
Why are we picking on him? It's his money, intellectual... and he can use it on anything and at anytime he wish. For some reason, I don't think this board is getting very polite.
I don't think anyone is "picking on him". He asked some questions, and got answers to his questions - along with some very good advice. I think most of the people posting here have been very helpful to him. In fact, I think there are only a couple of people here who haven't been very polite - C32B himself, and you, NSXSAN - because both of you have been criticizing the NSXprime members who have been trying to help him.

C32B,

Let me see if I can answer your question.

It is not a realistic goal to build a 500hp NA engine for the NSX. I do not think such an engine exists that you could purchase, nor are there any standard engine kits that modify the stock engine to this level.

I think that Science of Speed (link at bottom of site) is going to be releasing some engine parts that will increase your hp(not sure on specifics) but it will not amount to 500 hp (or even close).

Your only option, at this point in time, is forced induction. To find out more about this option, do a bit of research in the Forced Induction section of this forum.

C32B - I am all for you doing whatever you want, it is after all YOUR money. However, your last post seems to show your immaturity. If you haven't noticed, the people on this forum can express their thoughts, whether angry or not, without having to resort to using vulgar language.

Like I said, you are free to do what you would like with your money. However if it were my money, I would simply invest it and buy myself a nice car to learn how to drive with, finish college, get a job, and then buy myself a sports car, like the NSX!

Just my .02!

C32B said:
I could probably completely build an NSX engine for under $30,000. I have no idea how much HP that would give me, but there isn't all that many parts I have left to find.

I've had a few engines built for my Mustang and have spent much more than 30k and I can tell you that getting 500hp out of it was very difficult. I'm not even going to mention the reliability factor with such a worked motor, but I can tell you that one of my engines only lasted 200 miles.

On more thing, there's no warranty on a race motor built from the ground up so you may want to consider doubling your budget.

While you may be able to scrape up an engine for a little under $100k IF YOU OWNED A RACE TEAM, the ancillaries to make it all work and the spare parts required for the necessary regular rebuilding would bump it up around $100k. But again unless you are a race team it doesn't even matter.

The reason you are having trouble finding all the parts to build a 500HP NA C32B motor is that they are not all for sale to the public, the same as the race engines. That is why you will have to custom fabricate stuff, which is why it will be ridiculously expensive and time consuming. You also need to a heck of a lot more than just drop in valves, springs, pistons and cams to produce a reliable 500HP. All that extra is going to cost way more. And you will need to address things other than just the engine itself to make the car reliable at that power level.

Sure, you can just swap out some parts like you are talking about but the end result will not be anywhere near 500HP. Why do you think the race engines cost so much if people could do it themselves for a fraction of the cost by swapping parts out during a standard rebuild?

And again, even if you did all this, the car is still going to be completely unsuitable as a street car.

The only even remotely practical option for a 500+HP street NSX is forced induction and/or nitrous. It is that simple. I'm sorry if that is not the answer you want, or the plan you have devised in your head, but it is reality. If you really want to blow a bunch of money trying to prove me wrong, that is your perogative. Be sure to post back here and let us know how it goes.

In short, if you could build a reliable, streetable 500HP naturally aspirated NSX for under $30k, a bunch of us would have already done it.

If you are in fact willing to spend several times more than that, I will put you in touch with a professional race shop with extensive NSX experience that can make your project happen, assuming you are prepared to put down a healthy deposit to get the ball rolling. If that is what you want, let me know.

Finally, you language above is unaccaptable on this forum. Clean it up or you will not be welcome here.

to apapada:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you only go to MIT, if MIT says so.

You're not bursting anybodys bubble. That's why I said I plan on going to MIT.

It seems you are spending way too much time playing video-games (Gran Turismo comes to mind). This is not the way to get accepted at MIT btw...

How do you figure? Because I would get an engine swap? You can't even do that in the game.

If you intend to buy an NSX to transform it into what you posted, please do not buy one ! And that "downforce" package as you call it, is not going to make you any quicker nor faster, but that again, I'm sure you'll learn it someday at MIT

I would buy that car regardless. I think that's a baddass kit, which is my main reason for wanting it. It obviously won't make me faster but it'll help with traction while cornering. More downforce = more drag. I don't need to go to MIT for that, it's simple 6th grade science.

Actually, that would be the thing to do. Get track time in a RX7 would be more fun, cheaper, and less dangerous than in an NSX. Since you inherited all this $$$, why can't you afford both ?

Maybe it's because I don't want to spend the money on both. Regardless of what car I buy, I'm going to make it fast. High output turbo rotary isn't reliable. I have already said I don't want to spend the money on two cars. I want a nice car and then I want to save as much money as possible.

Bottom line, if I were you, I'd rethink over my priorities
and focus on what is REALLY important...

Well, maybe I will. I've just had a lot of people tell me 500 n/a hp is not streetable and very pricey. Maybe I'll just buy a Supra because I don't want a turbo NSX.

to nsxtasy:

I'm sure nobody would be taking you seriously anyway - if not with your initial post, then soon enough - because you haven't thought through your plans, you don't know much about what you're planning, and you're not listening to anything people here are telling you - which is a bad combination.

I think the problem is that I came here for information and got it. It's just not the information I was looking for.

I would be willing to bet that (a) your IQ isn't 176 - and I say this just because 176 is extremely unusual (even 160 is only one person in 10,000), but maybe you do have a high IQ (even 135 puts you in the top 2 percent) - and also that (b) there are some people on this board who have a higher IQ than you do. And IQ doesn't necessarily correlate with wisdom, either.

So what am I supposed to say to that? You don't believe me along with probably everyone else who's read this thread. You're entitled to your opinion. Can we just leave it at that?

Some have a higher IQ than you do, some lower - but most are providing good advice. What you do with that advice is up to you - and what you do will reflect whether you have any wisdom and maturity to go with your bragadoccio and allegedly high IQ, or not. Your choice.

Braggadocio? I only stated my IQ and mentioned my money because it came up and was relevent responding to posts. I could've lied and said my IQ was 98 but what's the point? I don't even understand why someone would lie in a forum unless they have no friends and want a bunch of strangers who they'll never meet to think they're cool...that is if they even beilieve him.

to lud:

I would appreciate it if you could let me know how to contact that shop. I would like to find out what it would take to accomplish 500 NA HP but I am not going to spend $70,000 or more an a motor any time soon. It obviously seems that I substantially overestimated what I could easily do with a C32B.

I have pretty much given up on the whole 500hp thing. What do you think I could get from the motor on the street? I was thinking along the lines of a 3.5L stroker, forged rods, 12.5:1 forged pistons, full valvetrain (once I find everything, IF it's all made), any bolt ons (besides turbo or SC), engine management, an idividual throttle body and a port and polish. Is it possible for you to give an estimate on HP and speed? Would that even be streetable?

I also read a post on automotiveforums.com about propane injection. I know hardly anything about this but the guy said it was like running 110 octane fuel on the street. Could this be used to run even higher compression? I know JE will custom build any piston with any compression ratio you want.

If I've been rude, I'm sorry. I only registered here yesterday and I don't want to already be on peoples bad side.

Go ahead and get the NSX. It is your mind and your money, not anybody else. Enjoy!

Originally posted by Lud
Finally, you language above is unaccaptable on this forum. Clean it up or you will not be welcome here.
Just a note to C32B - in case you are not already aware of it, we are in Lud's house here, and he makes the rules...

175 IQ is pretty high. Here is a list of some people with high IQ's.

Nicolaus Copernicus, 160
Charles Darwin, 165
Charlotte Bronte, 165
Johann Sebastian Bach, 165
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, 165
John Locke, 165
Ludwig van Beethoven, 165
Michael Faraday, 170
George Friederich Handel, 170
Buonarroti Michelangelo, 175
Immanuel Kant, 175
Johannes Kepler, 175
Edmund Spenser, 175
Voltaire, 180
Leonardo da Vinci, 180
Rene Descartes, 180
Madame De Stael, 180
Galileo Galilei, 185
Bobby Fischer, 187
Sir Issac Newton, 190
Blaise Pascal, 195
John Stuart Mill, 200
Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz, 205
Emanuel Swedenborg, 205
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 210
Dorian L. Thorn, 210
Marilyn vos Savant, 218
William James Sidis, estimated 250-300

Just a simple advise - If you're parents gave u the approval to buy a car that you like - then - buy it!

If I were 16 years old like you and have the money I'd probably buy me a nsx without hesitation....It's a nice car to have and you
would probably enjoy it more...If u respect "SPEED"!

I've seen lots of young people get hurt or even worse for driving irresponsibly...

I've been dreamin on owning the NSX ever since I've laid my eyes on it 10 years ago and I just wish I had the money then....

Nobody can blame you for wanting an NSX!

:D

Last edited:
What's all the IQ talk for? Does high IQ somehow equate to being a good driver? My question for someone going on 16 would be do you know how to truely handle 500 hp and do you have the maturity to do so? You probably have less than 50 total hours behind the wheel of a car. If you want an NSX, buy it stock, learn how to drive, and then in a couple years start thinking about big hp if you really feel that you need it. 270 useable hp can be plenty of fun.

For all the flack thrown this poor guy's way, I think he has taken it very well.... especially for a 15 year old.

It amazes me how many folks are caught up in disputing his IQ. If properly tested, one should test consistantly throughout life. For example, over the past 20 years, which carries well into my childhood, I have consistantly scored 135-140. 176 though rare for any person, should not be surprising even though it is had by a 15 year old. The groups Number9 identified are comprised of IQ's even higher. By virute of his minimizing statements towards MENSA, I imagine he is of even greater intellect. Further, #9's capacity for superior intellect should have been easily detectable at an early age if properly tested. C32b, congratulations on being the recipient of a rare gift. I think it is a great thing to see you have aspirations to take advantage of it. There are far too many out there that waste such rare gifts.

C32-

Buy the car. Be smart though, and learn how to drive it properly . Enroll in the driving school right away. If you still plan on extensive modifications, then try to hold off for at least a year to gain a little bit of driving experience.

You have received some very good thoughts on what is possible for modified NSX engines... i.e. forced induction being the only feasible way to get 500hp without obscene cash outlays.

As for the rest of your money, one word... plastics :)

Last edited:
Back