WOW NSX is more $$$ than a Porsche!!

Hello NSX'rs! Your site has been wonderful in giving me all the info I need. I was doing alot of research on this site and realized it cost waaaaay more the maintain than my 911 (964) Porsche. Tune up is less than $500 (plugs,belts, gaskets, filters,etc) and clutch/flywheel is less than $1100. I was on the verge of purchasing a NSX but after finding out the high cost of one I don't think I can enjoy the vehicle. I'll always be worried of something breaking down.

I'm able to afford a NA1 version but I can't beleive the cost of one!! I thought it would be equal to a 911 but I guess not. Wish I could purchase the one I found but this site made my realize what I can really afford. Thanks. :)

Get a better mechanic, you will be surprised, we have a local EX master tech @ Acura for like 15 years that runs his shop and costs HALF of what dealer costs .... of course, he is an amazing mechanic and well known .... also "TUNE-UP" ?? who uses that word??? lol ....

Good luck man, but don't get scared, maybe expenses on the NSX are a bit more, but they can be RARE if you take care of it, of course, NSX's are not civic either.

really? can you name one? I actually found one (hilltopauto) near which is the best in bay according to this site and reasonable in price. timing belt/pump was over $1700!! OEM clutch was $1900-2000!!! sheeeesh that scares me. You can get a rebuilt motor with a core exchange for a 2.7-3.0 engines ina 911. That's why it scares me so much...

I really want one but I don't know what to do. :(. I have a person here offering to buy my porsche and found a few early nsx's I can afford but don't know if I'm ready to jump the gun. I've been researching for 6 months on this site and test driving them also. My girlfriend thinks it's a suped up accord lol but I just love the stance and look of one!! :)

really? can you name one? I actually found one (hilltopauto) near which is the best in bay according to this site and reasonable in price. timing belt/pump was over $1700!! OEM clutch was $1900-2000!!! sheeeesh that scares me. You can get a rebuilt motor with a core exchange for a 2.7-3.0 engines ina 911. That's why it scares me so much...

Don't be scared man, life is only ONE :) ....

I agree with the previous posts, not one Prime member regrets buying an NSX. if you take care of it it will last you forever. Your Porsche wouldn’t last more than a couple months with-out having to go to the shop for repairs. Some of these NSX's have gone for years with out a single visit to the DOC. ( not to bash Porsche )<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The repairs are rare, and the car is rare. Your Porsche is as common as doors on houses. Resale value is as bad as a wooden nickel. with a few exceptions<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If you add up all the times your Porsche has been to the shop and cost of repairs in a year. Then it would probably be more than the combined repair cost for 15 years of an NSX. Yea the repairs are costly but rarely happen

If you can afford an NSX then get it. you will thank us later.

Last edited:
I think as you read through NSXPrime...not a single member has regrets on buying an NSX.

You would be wrong...

I hate my NSX. It has cost me sooooo much money. The cost to replace a timing belt, water pump, clutch, or anything else is outrageous. In addition, the cost of aftermarket parts is astronomical because of the rarity of this damn thing. Just think about how much I have spent adding the following list of mods...

Comptech Supercharger;
Comptech Headers;
ARK DT-S Exhaust;
Dali Polished Billet Coolant Tank.
JRZ Dampers;
Eibach Springs (5.4Kg/6.3Kg);
NSX-R Front Sway Bar;
Thom's Camber Correction Kit.
Volk Racing CE28N (chromed): 17x8.0+38 hipad/18x9.5+40;
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Tires (215/40-17 & 265/35-18).
NSX-R Chassis Bars;
NSX-R replica CF Rear Spoiler with LED Brake Light;
NSX-R Replica Diffuser;
CF Rear Window Garnish;
NSX-R Emblems;
SOS Stealth License Plate Holder (modified for 2002+);
Delete Engine Cover (25lbs);
Delete Spare Tire (33lbs).
NSX-R Seats (black) with OEM Power Rails;
CF Gauge Pod;
Autometer Gauges;
NSX-R Shift Knob & Boot;
Dave's Short Shift Kit;
SOS Short Shift Stalk;
MOMO Team 280mm Steering Wheel;
NSX-R Horn Button & Trim Ring;
NR-G Quick Release;
Sparco Dual Buttons (Cruise Control).
Odyssey 680 Battery (19lbs); Billet Battery Holder.

If I would have known I was going to spend this much money, I would have bought an Accord and added an NSX body kit. I could have saved a lot of money and ended up with the same thing.

:biggrin:

I have only taken in my porsche once in 3 years and is driven hard. I've gone on road trips to LA with no probs so reliability is great. Keep in mind my car is air cooled old skool and not the crappy 996 watercooled which is always in n out of the shop. Those are a dime a dozen. While those are going down in value old school 911 are higher in value. Porsche decided to discontinue making parts or old models because no one and I mean NO one wants the 996. Thats why u can find one for 15K-19K for a low mileage 996. :)

I have only taken in my porsche once in 3 years and is driven hard. I've gone on road trips to LA with no probs so reliability is great. Keep in mind my car is air cooled old skool and not the crappy 996 watercooled which is always in n out of the shop. Those are a dime a dozen. While those are going down in value old school 911 are higher in value. Porsche decided to discontinue making parts or old models because no one and I mean NO one wants the 996. Thats why u can find one for 15K-19K for a low mileage 996. :)

Troll :rolleyes:

I had my OEM clutch rebuilt for $155 and did the install myself

it's got about 1500 miles on it plus an autocross and it's holding up just fine so far

Last edited:
Troll.. on the water......fire in the sky.... badapapapapap......

I really want one but I don't know what to do. :(. I have a person here offering to buy my porsche and found a few early nsx's I can afford but don't know if I'm ready to jump the gun. I've been researching for 6 months on this site and test driving them also. My girlfriend thinks it's a suped up accord lol but I just love the stance and look of one!! :)

Lol, if your girl thinks a NSX is a souped up Accord, than your 964 is truely a souped up Beetle. ( both are air cooled, both have engine in the wrong place ) The last time that I checked, Accord > Beetle.

enjoy your stay here =)

I don't think you would be too happy with us. Please keep your Beetle,

P.S. Good luck on your middle high school exams. And, we think your supposed girlfriend has better taste in cars than guys.

Last edited:
Lol, if your girl thinks a NSX is a souped up Accord, than your 964 is truely a souped up Beetle. ( both are air cooled, both have engine in the wrong place ) The last time that I checked, Accord > Beetle.

enjoy your stay here =)

Soooo true. The nsx is timeless. Not many cars can be said to be timeless. The maintaince is low, much lower than a porsche. Not to mention these are by far more reliable. I think one owner has like what, 400000 or 300000 miles. But i cant speak for Yours. The last time i was that closr to a porsche he blew the motor trying to race me.

NSX1 who told you to go and buy all that stuff? thats your own fault not the NSX's. you hate your NSX? if you had not bought all that stuff and were happy with Non-upgraded OEM version would you still like it.

not being a Judge here but looking at those upgrades you must like HorsePower and Speed, so you knew what you were getting into when you got it right?

but the other posts were right-on. LOL

supped up Accord. Yeah right!
and both Porsche and beetle you can swap engines, brakes, etc. same bolt patterns and just take the Porsche engine and bolt it right on, and WALLLLAAAA you got a Porsche
then all you need to do it swap the Emblems.

Last edited:
Really? Really?? Is this guy a Porsche salesman??

I have owned NSXs for over 14 years. Outside of oil changes and basic upkeep (which I do myself since it is a Honda) it is rather simple to keep.

A few years ago I drove/raced my NSX (turbo) across country 10,000 miles, 30 states in 10 days and the NSX didn't miss a beat. There were a few M5s and 996s that couldnt say the same.

The NSX is a great car and trust me, if you get the right NSX (who which wasn't abused) you will have many years of care free enjoyment.

Good Luck

BTW, I just got back from Miami from a standing mile Mle Marker Run.

I drove from Atlanta to Miami Friday 800miles
Raced on the track for 4 hours Saturday (cruised on South Beach at night)
Drove home from Miami to Atlanta 800miles

NSX didnt miss a beat.

NSX1 who told you to go and buy all that stuff? thats your own fault not the NSX's. you hate your NSX? if you had not bought all that stuff and were happy with Non-upgraded OEM version would you still like it.

My next mod... a TL Navi system. :biggrin:

You would be wrong...

I hate my NSX. It has cost me sooooo much money. The cost to replace a timing belt, water pump, clutch, or anything else is outrageous. In addition, the cost of aftermarket parts is astronomical because of the rarity of this damn thing. Just think about how much I have spent adding the following list of mods...

Comptech Supercharger;
Comptech Headers;
ARK DT-S Exhaust;
Dali Polished Billet Coolant Tank.
JRZ Dampers;
Eibach Springs (5.4Kg/6.3Kg);
NSX-R Front Sway Bar;
Thom's Camber Correction Kit.
Volk Racing CE28N (chromed): 17x8.0+38 hipad/18x9.5+40;
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Tires (215/40-17 & 265/35-18).
NSX-R Chassis Bars;
NSX-R replica CF Rear Spoiler with LED Brake Light;
NSX-R Replica Diffuser;
CF Rear Window Garnish;
NSX-R Emblems;
SOS Stealth License Plate Holder (modified for 2002+);
Delete Engine Cover (25lbs);
Delete Spare Tire (33lbs).
NSX-R Seats (black) with OEM Power Rails;
CF Gauge Pod;
Autometer Gauges;
NSX-R Shift Knob & Boot;
Dave's Short Shift Kit;
SOS Short Shift Stalk;
MOMO Team 280mm Steering Wheel;
NSX-R Horn Button & Trim Ring;
NR-G Quick Release;
Sparco Dual Buttons (Cruise Control).
Odyssey 680 Battery (19lbs); Billet Battery Holder.

If I would have known I was going to spend this much money, I would have bought an Accord and added an NSX body kit. I could have saved a lot of money and ended up with the same thing.

:biggrin:

I think buying the NSX-R Horn Button & Trim Ring was straw that broke the camels back and ultimately created insanity. :confused:

I think buying the NSX-R Horn Button & Trim Ring was straw that broke the camels back and ultimately created insanity. :confused:

Either that... or this... :cool:

valve_stem_avatar_150.jpg

I would say that buying 98% of any of our nsx's will guarantee you many miles of trouble free motoring. We are all very anal about our cars and our maintainance.

Back