Worry if an NSX sits too long on the showfloor? (801 miles NSX) JH4NA21672T000014

Autotrader Link

I dont' know why nobody has bought this NSX, considering it does have a rare color (white), but is there anything you should worry about when a car sits on the showfloor for long periods of time?

Like I know if they don't periodically start the engine of the car to get the internals/fluids moving, that would be a problem.

1664681529.217487168.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Re: Is there anything to worry if an NSX sits too long on the showfloor? (801 miles N

I would be more concerned as to why such a pristine car is missing the front spoiler as opposed to the low miles due to lack of driving.

Re: Is there anything to worry if an NSX sits too long on the showfloor? (801 miles N

I would be more concerned as to why such a pristine car is missing the front spoiler as opposed to the low miles due to lack of driving.

very good eye! I missed that part.

You will find this thread interesting. Shows the info that's on this site.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82222

Suprised it hasn't sold yet if its in top condition.

Nice Airwolf Avatar!

whoops.. my bad on the repost. but i guess i just kind of wanted to know about the condition of the engine.. a car sitting that long without being driven.. the engine doesn't likey..

Thanks for the compliment!

Autotrader Link

I dont' know why nobody has bought this NSX, considering it does have a rare color (white), but is there anything you should worry about when a car sits on the showfloor for long periods of time?

Like I know if they don't periodically start the engine of the car to get the internals/fluids moving, that would be a problem.

1664681529.217487168.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

There's nothing that you have to "worry" about with a car sitting too long that some preventive maintenance couldn't cure.

But plastic and rubber (from flat spotting the tires to cracking hoses) should be looked at thoroughly before a new owner goes tearing cheeks in this beauty.

Personally, it wouldn't stop me from considering the car but I would factor spending some serious coin on the car before I took it on the road to make sure that fluids, etc. have all been changed.

Luckily for you, there are a ton of very good NSX shops and mechanics in and around Orange County, CA.

But plastic and rubber (from flat spotting the tires to cracking hoses) should be looked at thoroughly before a new owner goes tearing cheeks in this beauty.
Tires don't permanently "flat spot" when a car sits for an extended period. They may be lumpy for the first block or so you drive, but they return to round after that. That's what I've found when my car has sat for six months at a time.

Tires don't permanently "flat spot" when a car sits for an extended period. They may be lumpy for the first block or so you drive, but they return to round after that. That's what I've found when my car has sat for six months at a time.

Unless that period is years at a time. My friend Dennis has to replace the tires on his 911 every few years because it only gets driven once a year, sometimes once every 2 or 3 years. His tires flat spot so badly that when he does drive it, even after 50 miles the tires are so flat spotted that they are unbearable to drive on.

Hi Ken -

I've actually personally witnessed the contrary. To be honest, I'm not sure what the magic number of months is before the damage becomes permanent but there are quite a few local owners of high end F cars, P cars (and I've also seen a 65 Cobra) that has suffered from flat spots because the cars sat still too long.

I think the best thing to do if the car is going to sit for a long time is put on 4 jacks stand and leave the E brake off.

i work at a car lot and actually our lot we have to go around and start EVERY car every morning. nothing more embarrassing than showing a car to a customer and the battery is dead because someone the night before left to dome light on or something goofy like that. As far as driving the vehicles, some yeah, like the nsx? probably not. and when we start the vehicles, we let them run for a good 5 minutes, its not good to just turn them over and shut them off, by lettimg them run, it charges the battery and gets the oil pressure up and juices flowing.

It is true, its not good for a vehicle to sit for long periods of time, hoses can start to deteriorate, your brake hoses are probably one of the first things to go on a vehicle that sits for a great period of time, and as far as storing a vehicle, for my personal toys, we always fill engines completely full of oil (as many quarts as we can get in) we do this so the gaskets stay lubricated and dont shrink. make sure you leave a note if you do this so you dont accidentaly start your brimmed full motor full of oil :eek: lol and your brakes, drain the fluid, and yes....you will have air in the system and have to go through a complete bleed and such...but that is a lot easier than changing out all your rubber hoses. I know everyone does things different but thats my method for storing.

just my 2cents :smile:

thanks

bill

I wanted to note that although it seems logical, leaving the car on jackstands is widely seen/known as worse for the car, overall, than simply letting it sit. The suspension components just 'hang' in an unnatural position that isn't goof for them. Even with expensive tires, I'd rather replace those everytime.

The above post has some interesting parts. I believe 'most' people just bleed the brakes, but do leave fluid in them during storage. It's not an exact science and if you ever hang around porsche guys much you begin to realize there are more ways to store a car than there are to drive/race/wreck/wash one.

I think the best thing to do if the car is going to sit for a long time is put on 4 jacks stand and leave the E brake off.

Pump the tires up to 60 psi. Higher air pressure greatly reduces flatspotting.

Back