Why is it that the NSX is the only Honda that needs valve adjustments?

I was just wondering since my valves are starting to tick a little louder (especially when cold...is this normal?), I had an S2000, a Prelude Type SH, and an old '89 civic hatch back, but I don't recall any of them requiring the valve adjustments as often as the NSXs do...every 30K?

The '91 NSX calls for valve adjustments every 15K miles. I had mine done at 17K miles and then at 32K when I had my timing belt replaced. I now have 47K and per the service manual, would need a valve adjustment. My trusted NSX tech of eight years listened to my valves very carefully and said they are perfect. The new NSXs call for valve adjustments every 40K miles (that's what I was told). Told me that the valves have not changed at all and are exactly the same be it a '91 or a current model NSX. Said I could go another 25K before I need an adjustment based on how my valves sounded at the time.

If your NSX never had a valve adjustment, I would recommend that you have it done at least one time.

I'm pretty sure the NSX has had its valves adjusted quite a few times, although I'm just hearing the ticking a little louder (maybe its my paranoid imagination)..its got 130K on it....runs very strong though...My mechanic (also owns a '91) says its ok...so I guess it must be...

I definitely hear the ticking on mine, even after 3 valve adjustments within 3 months (first one I paid for as part of 60k service, 2nd and 3rd were redos that I insisted be done). I think it is extremely annoying and decreases my enjoyment of the car. The dealer typically adjusts them on the loose side here, so I insisted that they be adjusted to the tighter end of the tolerances, but the ticking is still there.

Anybody have any suggestions on what else I can do?

I heard some noise on mine, but have had no problem at all. I will do the vavle when I really feel like it is needed.

The NSX is the first car that came out with Vtec. In the beginning they were even scared they had to take the engine out for valve-readjustment. Valve re-adjustment is really sensitive on the NSX. Tell this to the people doing the work, they should take their time for it, it's not a Civic...

i dont really know nsx well enough.. not 100 percent sure what TICKING you were referring to.

but

are you sure this "ticking" sound are from the valves?

maybe that is the sound of injectors? i know supra has this "ticking" sound.. which is perfectly normal

-jjc.
red nsx
blk supra

Or maybe you're just hearing the injectors tick. Pretty common mistake. The two sounds are very distinct but subtle if you're not positive what you're listening for.

AndyH said:
how much does it normally cost to get valve adjustment done properly?
Click on "NSX FAQ" at the top of your screen, then click on Maintenance, then click on Costs.

Make sure you compare the same services though. A valve adjustment is normally part of a 15K/30K/45K/60K service, but only part. If you get a quote for ONLY a valve adjustment, it should be less than a quote for a complete 15K service, a 30K service, etc.

The valve adjustment by itself should be a 3 hour labor job. The ticking I hear sounds like a sewing machine that has a crescendo when I rev right after I let off the throttle. It is loud enough to hear, but every NSX tech I've had listen to it thinks it is normal....aggravating, but normal, and not causing any harm.

Other than replacing the injectors, how would I find out if that is what could be causing the ticking? I am going to run some injector cleaner with the next few tanks to see if it helps.

My 98 Civic requires a valve adjustment every 60k I think. I did it awhile ago and it took me all of 1/2 hour. The NSX I did in about two hours taking my time. Pretty easy if you have the two special tools, although they are not needed, sure makes it easier.

I Grok NSX said:
My 98 Civic requires a valve adjustment every 60k I think.
You'd better check the owner's manual. I'm pretty sure that most Hondas/Acuras recommend a valve adjustment at least once every 30K miles, and some, including the NSX, every 15K.

You can do the valves adjustment job yourself if you want to. Require the owner and engine manual. It will also needs a slippy hand and some special tools that the manuals will show you. Also, times.

I just adjusted the valves (or preload) an hour ago on my 67 camaro. I've been reading about it, and the small and big block chevy V8's are some of the only domestics that need valves adjusted. There are kits out there to convert non-adjusting to adjusting also. I guess it all depends on what type of valve train you have, on my camaro it's a hydraulic and I think its a roller valve train on the NSX.

All of the Honda's i've owned needed valves adjusted and most 4 cylinder motorcycles need them also.

LeftLane said:
I definitely hear the ticking on mine, even after 3 valve adjustments within 3 months (first one I paid for as part of 60k service, 2nd and 3rd were redos that I insisted be done). I think it is extremely annoying and decreases my enjoyment of the car. The dealer typically adjusts them on the loose side here, so I insisted that they be adjusted to the tighter end of the tolerances, but the ticking is still there.

When my ticking happened the Acura tech misdiagnosed the problem and did a valve adjustment which did not fix the tick, only to find out months later that the sound was some bearings failing. Great! $10,200 of our cash later the engine was rebuilt. :(

Stupid question, but how much approx. does it cost to have the valves adjusted?
Also, is it a particularly difficult/delicate task for the mechanic's to do?

>>3 valve adjustments within 3 months .... but the ticking is still there.
>>Anybody have any suggestions on what else I can do?

Find a new dealer or competent independant in your area. The valves, when properly adjusted and tightened, do not require constant attention such as you describe.

>>Valve re-adjustment is really sensitive on the NSX. Tell this to the people doing the work, they should take their time for it, it's not a Civic...

This is untrue. The specifications for valve wear are completely normal, and the procedure and tools are exactly the same as a Civic! Where did you get this information?

As for your comment that Honda were "scared they had to take the engine out" to adjust the valves, this is ridiculous.

Soichiro said:
>>3 valve adjustments within 3 months .... but the ticking is still there.
>>Anybody have any suggestions on what else I can do?

Find a new dealer or competent independant in your area. The valves, when properly adjusted and tightened, do not require constant attention such as you describe.

>>Valve re-adjustment is really sensitive on the NSX. Tell this to the people doing the work, they should take their time for it, it's not a Civic...

This is untrue. The specifications for valve wear are completely normal, and the procedure and tools are exactly the same as a Civic! Where did you get this information?

As for your comment that Honda were "scared they had to take the engine out" to adjust the valves, this is ridiculous.

Then why is their a post on valves then... because it's an easy 20 minute job? and no-one has problems with them????
Honda was scared they had to take the engine out, and I don't mean your local dealer, but it was an issue when they were developping the NSX. And instead of the word ridiculous, can't you use the words 'not true'? I might take that personally!!

>>Honda was scared they had to take the engine out, and I don't mean your local dealer

You mean they designed the car and then HOPED it would work? They designed the dimensions for the valve covers and HOPED they would fit? They never used any computer modelling tools, they never built any prototype or pre-production cars? They simply threw an engine in a chassis and covered their eyes because they were scared the result might not work - sheesh. This is not the Honda engineering I'm familiar with.

PLEASE TELL US WHERE YOU GOT THIS INFORMATION. QUOTE THE SOURCE, DATE, ENGINEER, YOU KNOW - TRUTHFUL FACTS ONLY PLEASE.

For those who want to want to learn a little more about the valve clearance procedure you can look here: www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/valve/valve_clearance.htm

Valve clearance may play a role in the “ticking” sound of the engine, but I’m not convinced. Remember that there are 24 valves that are being actuated at different times of the engine cycle. Seems to me that if valve clearance was the root cause of the “tick” then the ticking noise would be irregular and not the consistent “tick-tick” that my engine has. Just a thought.

DanO

Meeyatch1 said:
When my ticking happened the Acura tech misdiagnosed the problem and did a valve adjustment which did not fix the tick, only to find out months later that the sound was some bearings failing. Great! $10,200 of our cash later the engine was rebuilt. :(

:eek: :eek: :eek: Hope its not my bearings failing!! Anyone else have this happen to them??!!!:eek:

Back