Why did you buy an NSX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always liked NSXs, but there's quite a few nice cars that are obtainable nowadays, the biggest probably being the subaru STI. With a mid 13 1/4, and 4.6 0-60, for 30k NEW, why would you want to buy an NSX?

I'm just curious if I'm missing something or not, because I like NSX a lot, but I want to be practical with my money. It's hard to walk away from 4.6 0-60 stock for 30k new.

So why did you choose an nsx over other cars? Am I right in saying an STI is probably better than an NSX performance wise?

If the car is going to be 95% street driven, do you think an nsx is a worthwhile buy?

search a lot of discussions like this but people get them because they are more exotic, mid engine, fun to drive, decent power, sound of engine, heretige of honda, awesome balanced car.

Everybody likes them because they are exotic and fun to drive. Sure, that's a dream of any high-end car. But I mean, with the release of the subaru STI in america, a car that in my mind is faster/nicer/better handling than any car under 100k, I just don't see why having an nsx holds up to that.

Fryguy said:

So why did you choose an nsx over other cars? Am I right in saying an STI is probably better than an NSX performance wise?

If your definition of performance is only acceleration, than you may have a point. Everyones definition of performance varies, so the fastest acceleation to 60MPH or the 1/4 mile may not be what is importent to some. If that was all you really cared about we would all be driving $19K (Or whatever its true cost is) Dodge Neon SRT-4s.

Seriously though, if you think the STi is the nicest/fastes car in the market today, you might as well just buy one. I personally don't think the WRX is pretty at all. I much rather have the Lancer looks over the bubbled bugg eyed (At least in my eyes) than the WRX. There is no doubting its great performance and engineering, but I couldn't ever drive a car that I didn't at least think looks nice in my eyes. This is just my personal taste. I would actually choose an Infiniti G35 Coupe for that $30K price range.

infinity g35 is on my list too :)

Sure there is more to drive a car than acceleration. The Subaru STIs have allright looks (if it was 2 door it might be a bit better). But STI has a lot more storage area, is more affordable, dare I say cheaper to maintain, and should perform at least on par with an NSX in handling/speed.

Things to look for in a car:

speed
handling
reliability
comfort
looks

The STI does well in 3-4 of those categories. (reliability is still largely untested, and the looks is probably the worst part).

G35 is as well a nice car, but probably gives up speed/handling for the other 3 characteristics. I dunno, I find it hard to own a daily driver like an NSX. Whereas an STI can romp around in rain/snow and not really care (AWD is sweet).

I dunno. I just want to know if I am way off base or not.

Come on folks, this clown is obviously just a troll, who came here to start a flame war. He's making ridiculous statements ("nicer"? "better handling"? "reliability"? Oh, pleeeease. :rolleyes: ) and is just looking to incite a reaction from members here. That's why he won't even bother looking at the other topics that have already answered his questions. He's not here to learn anything, he's just here to stir up trouble. He probably posts the same silly statements on the Ferrari and Porsche boards. It's not worth arguing with trolls...

actually I'm genuinely curious. I've always been a fan of the NSX, but it's hard to argue with the performance given by an STI. Sure it doesn't look as nice as an NSX, but handling/speed wise it should be very on par with it. Am I right?

Fryguy said:
handling/speed wise it should be very on par with it. Am I right?
No.

I'll tell you what - first you should (a) go read more about the NSX here, and (b) go drive one on a racetrack (a real racetrack, not a drag strip). Then let's talk.

fryguy - everybody got their opinion on what they want on their car.

if you think STI is much better then go ahead and buy it. with your attitude i don't you'll ever buy an NSX.

to answer your question

i bought my nsx cuz it looks good (don't get tired of looing at it), it performs, and very reliable exotic car.

i consider it exotic cuz of the extraoridnary look and limited production.

I'm not really concerned with driving a car on a racetrack. Maybe you missed it, but I was looking for a car that will be 95% street driven.

Fryguy[/i] [B]Maybe you missed it said:
why you guys wasting your time with this thread? :confused: :confused:
So that we can post a cartoon showing a troll.

troll.gif

nsxtasy said:
Maybe you missed it, but you've never driven an NSX, so you clearly don't know WTF you're talking about.

Umm.. If I want a street car, why am I going to take an nsx out on the track? Obviously it's a good car on the track, I'm just curious to see how it stands up against an sti on the street. I could care less about track handling, because I won't be driving the car on the track.

Fryguy said:
I'm not really concerned with driving a car on a racetrack. Maybe you missed it, but I was looking for a car that will be 95% street driven.

Assuming you really aren't a troll, and are willing to debate...

Your main criteria sounds like 0-60. So consider this from C&D:

"Only the absolute bottom of the engine's rev range feels weak-kneed. To launch it briskly requires a greater-than-usual number of revs. That's due to the tenacious grip of the all-wheel-drive system and the low compression ratio (8.2:1) necessitated by the application of the IHI turbo. "

And later...

"With a curb weight identical to the Mitsubishi's (3260 pounds), an axle ratio only slightly less aggressive, and a positive-shifting six-speed manual transmission, the Subaru's extra juice makes it the drag-strip king. One word of warning to those who might try to duplicate our acceleration numbers: Don't. These are not drag racers, and what a stopwatch considers a good start a dealership service department considers a lucrative one. But there it is: a sprint of 4.6 to 60 mph, 0.4-second faster than the Mitsubishi and a figure that's going to be hard to achieve in any car near the STi's $31,520 base price. Our 5-to-60-mph street-start sprint of 5.8 is a more realistic, less-abusive gauge of real-world acceleration. It's all accompanied by a tough-sounding midrange trill of an exhaust note."

The 0-60 numbers for the NSX can be found here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/performancenums.htm

If we're quoting the lowest 0-60 time from the same magazine, then in 7/98, there was a time of 4.5 0-60 that was registered.

For street driving, I can tell you that the NSX doesn't take much skill to drive fast. It's naturally aspirated with a huge powerband. I don't get this impression about the STI from the C&D article however.

For your reference: http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6640&page_number=2

From a handling perspective, any year NSX should outhandle a WRX STI if you're using skidpad as the metric for that. Again, check the stats.

As for price, an early model NSX (while arguably not as quick as an STI - but close) can be had for around the same price. For that you get as a bonus an exotic mid-engined sports car with a cabin-forward design (300-degree view of the road).

Given what I've read about the STI, I believe I'd be quicker driving my early model NSX than the STI. So based on my criteria for what I want in a car, the NSX is the true sports car bargain in this case and not the STI.

Fryguy said:
Umm.. If I want a street car, why am I going to take an nsx out on the track? Obviously it's a good car on the track, I'm just curious to see how it stands up against an sti on the street. I could care less about track handling, because I won't be driving the car on the track.

I really don't think you have the *want* for the NSX. If you did, the choice would be clear. You seem more interested in the STI, so if it makes you happy, that should be the car of your choice. It personally doesn't matter to me how the STI handles/performs/etc. It maybe a great car, but I love the looks, styling, and exotic flavor of the NSX. So my choice was clear and I have no regrets. You probably will. I honestly think the STI is better suited for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back