Why are Norcal NSX'ers so inactive?

"I think the idea is - if it's opened up to everyone you might get someone to show". Quote: Jack Atkinson

If one wants to kill something permanently, the elitist attitude of " if you don't pay to join our click you won't benefit from our effort", is a direct slap in the face of the majority who could give a damn about rules, authority, politics and other bull. Like it or not, that's just the way it is with the young guns or anybody else who is fed up with regulations and wasteful spending.The NSX DRIVER MAGAZINE is a perfect example of where all the money goes. Your paying for a few ring leaders to have a ball putting together their NSX propaganda and what else does ones 40 bucks get you. $5 bucks returned back to a chapter. Boy, a club could really kick ass with that kind of money! I'd call that terrible investing.

So to call some still hard working, educated and accountable persons inmature, unaccountable and parasites with repulsive thinking just because they don't drink your koolaid, is the exact formula that will turn the ones your trying to enlist, away. DAA!

You've also got a lot of nerve calling out club officers for not acting like the Gestopo and imposing responsibilities as you see them. It's elitist thinking like this that makes owning an NSX almost embarrassing.
The thing I seemed to have learned the most is, informal, unplanned and spur of the moment get togethers for anybody who wants to show (free of charge) is what the NSX owner desires and enjoys. If there is gambling, eating or just plain staring at their cars in a parking lot, thats even better. The idea of paying a fee to do the things just described is by most a joke.

Your attitude just plain sucks and if the NSXCA club is ending up in the red then you only have to read your own ramblings in part to know why!

Get a grip before you ruin it for everyone! Your posts and your reference to qualility couldn't be farther apart!

Are we talking about the NSXCA or just your informal gatherings? If you are talking about the Club, then you are just clueless about what a club is all about. It is about people who have a common interest and members help out and contribute to various causes. No one said you have to be paying to engaged in any NSX related activities. As far as I am concerned, you do whatever you feel like. So do you think it is "elitist" attitude to pay a membership to join a gym, a tennis club, volleyball league, or whatever club? Then again if your attitude is inline with "who could give a damn about rules, authority, politics and other bull" kind of thinking, then perhaps it is extremely imposing to ask you to pay for a membership for the privileges of a Club event. Afterall, if you don't respect rules and do feel that you don't need to have any obligations to receive any privileges, then we are just back to your sucking sense of entitlement. Well, you drive yours and I drive mine. We don't have to agree with anything. Maybe we are arguing on totally different things.
Steve

Last edited:
inactive? we have one meet per month. that was deemed the appropriate level of activity by participating members with a vote.

disorganized? i don't really know what that means. the club has a structure. the club meets have structure. there's a forum to discuss club issues. what else is needed?

we don't have a problem with activity or organization. our issue is participation.

maybe we should make participation mandatory. all members should host/setup/plan an event. :rolleyes: we would rotate weeks. :rolleyes: with 150 members, that works out to one every three years. :rolleyes:

the status of the club is not anyone's fault... it's everyone's fault.

please participate and vote. try to make that $40 worth more that just a magazine and sticker.

:smile:

Are we talking about the NSXCA or just your informal gatherings? If you are talking about the Club, then you are just clueless about what a club is all about. It is about people who have a common interest and members help out and contribute to various causes. No one said you have to be paying to engaged in any NSX related activities. As far as I am concerned, you do whatever you feel like. So do you think it is "elitist" attitude to pay a membership to join a gym, a tennis club, volleyball league, or whatever club? Then again if your attitude is inline with "who could give a damn about rules, authority, politics and other bull" kind of thinking, then perhaps it is extremely imposing to ask you to pay for a membership for the privileges of a Club event. Afterall, if you don't respect rules and do feel that you don't need to have any obligations to receive any privileges, then we are just back to your sucking sense of entitlement. Well, you drive yours and I drive mine. We don't have to agree with anything. Maybe we are arguing on totally different things.
Steve

Steve, you might want to go back and read your previous post. Read it a couple of times as if you were somebody else. In your own words, "a parasite" perhaps. My only complaint, you were definitely way out of line with the slurs.

Then if you don't think you've offended anyone, then it is you who is truly clueless. I'm sure in a face to face conversation your actually a very nice guy but online you come off much too abrasive.

Finally, arguing with you would be a fruitless proposition. However, even though there were no names mentioned, a lot of those that you slammed (including me) happen to be friends of mine and worthy to the NSX community.

No one deserves that!

You have no idea what yojack's involvement in car CLUBS is. You might be surprised.

Jack

Writing to get your point across is definitely not your forte.

inactive? we have one meet per month. that was deemed the appropriate level of activity by participating members with a vote.

We haven't had a Chapter meeting in over 3 months now.:frown:

disorganized? i don't really know what that means. the club has a structure. the club meets have structure. there's a forum to discuss club issues. what else is needed?

The Bay Area Chapter has no structure!
There is no Board in place!!
No one has used the Yahoo group in over 2 months to post any real club issues or business. It's not being utilized.

I hate to disagree but the facts don't lie.

we don't have a problem with activity or organization. our issue is participation.

maybe we should make participation mandatory. all members should host/setup/plan an event. :rolleyes: we would rotate weeks. :rolleyes: with 150 members, that works out to one every three years. :rolleyes:

Our problem is more than just lack of participation. It's a complete apathy..

the status of the club is not anyone's fault... it's everyone's fault.

I agree!!! It seems no one else really cares though.:frown:

WOW, I've been following this thread and have a few important things to say:

1) I'm glad a lot of people have so much passion in responding here! This is definitely the positive of this thread....:smile:

2) From my experience in car clubs which is pretty extensive by the way, people are genuinely "good" in that if you ask them for help or pay their way it's really not an issue.

3) However from point #2, it does take a few charismatic leaders to take charge (Jack, James, Mike C, etc) to make it all happen smoothly, no one person or small group can do it themselves.

I know almost every nsxprime local member by name and I've had my NSX for just over a year now. Everyone is super nice and helpful. I've been to quite a few of your places and no one is arrogant. However on the internet some of us come off the wrong way. I can see each person's arguement but in reality the NSX community is TOO SMALL to say some of the things posted here and not get people upset.

I think we should all try to get along and just enjoy the social events planned as they happen. I don't think paying the $40 club fee is an issue for anyone here. Donating time to plan an event is very tough and not every person has the personality/time to do this. If you want an event to happen just try to help out as much as possible. I keep looking back to the bmw m3forum and the s2000 clubs as comparison because they are pretty well organized. We have monthly BBQ's in Fremont for the m3 clan and turnout is always good. One guy there does most of the planning and he just enjoys doing it. The s2000 guys are have their weekly Friday meeting and the majority of them are very good friends that talk both on/offline I'm sure. I don't have as much free time to hang out but I do try to make time when possible.

Passion is the most important thing for any car club. NSX owners are a unique breed that is limited in numbers so we just have to work a bit harder. But as they say quality over quantity :) I would hate to be like the Scion members if you know what I mean (no disrespect to them).

Wow - never expected this topic to get this much attention. I agree with some that it's mostly apathy, but the good news is, I beleive if ppl can stop flaming and wasting time slamming each other, we'll all see that this is a great group.

Driving up from Monterey, weekends are easier for me, but I will try to make the 7/31 Sunnyvale BBQ if I can get out of a client meeting early.

I'd be glad to organize a Big Sur drive anytime people want to come down this way or maybe before or after ALMS or something at Laguna Seca.

I hope we get more discussion on this topic, and that we can keep it civil. Stong opinions and passion are a good thing. Slamming people or personally attacking someone is not useful.

my 2cents

...and no, my avatar is not photoshopped

Last edited:
You are right, Jack. My post was not intended to "slam" you since you have obviously contributed to the club many times and have organized other non-club events. In the heat of passion, I used words that are out of line and I apologize to the ones offended. I do however concur with Carlos regarding some people ALWAYS want other people to do things and would never step up. This also extends to a handful of people who obviously have only been taking from other's but are unwilling to give back. I was surfing Prime and saw a few of those "can someone arrange this and that?'" posts and repeatedly from the people from differrent event threads. A fed-up mood translated into some offensive words from me and have obviously slammed many innocents.
I am sorry.
Steve

Steve, you might want to go back and read your previous post. Read it a couple of times as if you were somebody else. In your own words, "a parasite" perhaps. My only complaint, you were definitely way out of line with the slurs.

Then if you don't think you've offended anyone, then it is you who is truly clueless. I'm sure in a face to face conversation your actually a very nice guy but online you come off much too abrasive.

Finally, arguing with you would be a fruitless proposition. However, even though there were no names mentioned, a lot of those that you slammed (including me) happen to be friends of mine and worthy to the NSX community.

No one deserves that!

You have no idea what yojack's involvement in car CLUBS is. You might be surprised.

Jack

Writing to get your point across is definitely not your forte.

Last edited:
Larry,
I hope you didn't drop off of our Sacramento group email list. If you did, let me know and I'll get you added back on.

Were you aware of the 2-3 events we've had EVERY month in the Sacramento region since January 2009? We had some big ones - Dinner and photos at Bridges on the River, Drive and Lunch at Road Trip Cafe in Capay Valley, Dinner at Spaghetti Factory, several EuroSundays, First Friday at The Fountains, upcoming Fund Raiser and Dinner in Downtown Sacramento (July meet), Driving Ambition BBQ and Multi-club Meet, Asian Community Center Fund Raiser, Supporting Kip at a race/track day, etc? We get 15 to nearly 40 people (not alot, but enough) at each event and I can tell you, I haven't talked to one person who didn't have a good time.

Feel free to contact me directly if you really think the club is a poor joke (we are looking for more volunteers to help organize as we have even more ideas we'd like to get going). I'd like to get your feedback if there really is something we could improve upon.

Nalesh- I am definitely aware of the events of '09 as I have attended all but two events that you mentioned above (including 2 trips to cheer on Kip). The new adminstration has definitely put the club back on the right track.

But let me clear the air-
If you go back and read my post, I was refering to my initial frustrations with the club events two years ago when I (a newbie) made the initiative to host a party at my home. At the time, I had no idea the club was so inactive (except for a few diehard members) partly due to the former admin losing their drive and spirit to move the club forward. I later found out all the internal dramas between the club and its members causing the club to operate in a non-uniform manner. I've always tried to stay unbiased, and now that all the bickering has stopped the club has a chance to move forward again. I now have a better understanding & appreciation of the club TODAY.

Last edited:
Nalesh- I am definitely aware of the events of '09 as I have attended all but two events that you mentioned above (including 2 trips to cheer on Kip). The new adminstration has definitely put the club back on the right track.

But let me clear the air-
If you go back and read my post, I was refering to my initial frustrations with the club events two years ago when I (a newbie) made the initiative to host a party at my home. At the time, I had no idea the club was so inactive (except for a few diehard members) partly due to the former admin losing their drive and spirit to move the club forward. I later found out all the internal dramas between the club and its members causing the club to operate in a non-uniform manner. I've always tried to stay unbiased, and now that all the bickering has stopped the club has a chance to move forward again. I now have a better understanding & appreciation of the club TODAY.

Larry,
Thanks for clearing it up. I misunderstood your post and didn't realize it was in reference to past experiences. I was a newbie to this region back then too, so I know what you are talking about. Though now I too am glad that we are moving the club in the right direction. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Stong opinions and passion are a good thing.

One thing for sure - this is a very passionate group (oops, did I say that? someone once told me the NSX has no soul...but back on topic).

After reading the posts, it seems everyone wants the same goal - have fun with our NSXs (whether at "official" club functions or informal gatherings), and discussions such as these get people thinking about that goal.

As an observer from another region (and a former member of the Bay Area group), I'd suggest starting coffee meets up again. These don't have to be "officially" organized. One of you can step up and put the post on Prime (if nobody raises their hand, I'll pick on someone :tongue: j/k).

Initially, don't expect too many people to attend, but eventually, you will find that people sometimes do have a couple of hours to spare on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Fun creates more fun and an easy way to do it is w/ a short coffee meet.

I do however concur with Carlos regarding some people ALWAYS want other people to do things and would never step up.

This also extends to a handful of people who obviously have only been taking from other's but are unwilling to give back.

I was surfing Prime and saw a few of those "can someone arrange this and that?'" posts and repeatedly from the people from differrent event threads.
Steve

Why not just say who you are talking about or link to the threads so we can stop guessing who you are referring to.

Why not just say who you are talking about or link to the threads so we can stop guessing who you are referring to.

Is that a request or a challenge? I don't see other people asking. Things get obvious after a while. I don't need to point at specific thread or posts.
Steve

Is that a request or a challenge? I don't see other people asking. Things get obvious after a while. I don't need to point at specific thread or posts.
Steve

Its not obvious to me and since I think you might have been referring to me in one of your posts I would prefer you just come out and say it rather than hinting and suggesting. You seem to have no trouble in posting complaint after complaint so why should you have trouble in saying exactly who you are complaining about?

At least if its not me I can know for sure and be done with having to read all the crying and bitching on this thread.

Its not obvious to me and since I think you might have been referring to me in one of your posts I would prefer you just come out and say it rather than hinting and suggesting. You seem to have no trouble in posting complaint after complaint so why should you have trouble in saying exactly who you are complaining about?

At least if its not me I can know for sure and be done with having to read all the crying and bitching on this thread.

Roger what makes you think it's you Steve is referring too?

The reason Steve doesn't come out and name names is because it is simply rude to embarrass another in a public forum. That tactic is just boorish and Steve is a gentleman.

If reading this thread troubles you then all I can say to you, stop reading it..:smile:

Roger what makes you think it's you Steve is referring too?

The reason Steve doesn't come out and name names is because it is simply rude to embarrass another in a public forum. That tactic is just boorish and Steve is a gentleman.

If reading this thread troubles you then all I can say to you, stop reading it..:smile:

Just to clarify are you replying on Steve's behalf?

You are right, Jack. My post was not intended to "slam" you since you have obviously contributed to the club many times and have organized other non-club events. In the heat of passion, I used words that are out of line and I apologize to the ones offended. I do however concur with Carlos regarding some people ALWAYS want other people to do things and would never step up. This also extends to a handful of people who obviously have only been taking from other's but are unwilling to give back. I was surfing Prime and saw a few of those "can someone arrange this and that?'" posts and repeatedly from the people from differrent event threads. A fed-up mood translated into some offensive words from me and have obviously slammed many innocents.
I am sorry.
Steve

Steve, I don't believe I've met or even seen you in the two years that I have been active in the NSX bizarreo world, however I could be wrong. I'm trying to figure out how I haven't met a local guy with 2700 posts.

I do think you are truely opologetic and I have to respect you for that. It's a gesture not offered nearly enough and takes a bigger person with enough guts to do it!

If you answer my question I'll answer yours..:biggrin:

I'm not into playing games. I dont even know why you have decided its your responsibility to reply for Steve or get involved since I was writing directly to Steve. Regardless all he has to say is yes or no......end of story. I felt he was referring to me and I am calling him out on it.....thats all.

If you answer my question I'll answer yours..:biggrin:

Carlos what the hell is going on here? Can't we have some positive feedback. What's with all negative comments. It's almost comes across like your enjoying seeing the club life support systems slowly being pulled. Considering it was your desire to start a chapter, being antagonistic ain't helpin' the cause! Everyone knows the situation. Maybe with some positive input we can at least have a heartbeat!

Now your playing kid games with Roger trying to agitate him. Way to go!

I'm sure Steve is a nice guy and probably your friend but the timing of the "gentleman "post should have been before not after he ignited. I'm crackin' up with all the highjinx on this thread! What a soap opera!

Jack

Last edited:
I'm not into playing games. I dont even know why you have decided its your responsibility to reply for Steve or get involved since I was writing directly to Steve. Regardless all he has to say is yes or no......end of story. I felt he was referring to me and I am calling him out on it.....thats all.

You opened it up to that line of questioning. All I asked was what made you believe Steve was referring to you.

No one inferred you were one of those that posts for someone to "do something". I sure didn't read that in Steve's response to you.

I know Steve and if he wants to say something to you he will....it will be in private though.

that's all...:smile:

Carlos what the hell is going on here? Can't we have some positive feedback. What's with all negative comments. It's almost comes across like your enjoying seeing the club life support systems slowly being pulled. Considering it was your desire to start a chapter, being antagonistic ain't helpin' the cause! Everyone knows the situation. Maybe with some positive input we can at least have a heartbeat!

Now your playing kid games with Roger trying to agitate him. Way to go!

I'm sure Steve is a nice guy and probably your friend but the timing of the "gentleman "post should have been before not after he ignited. I'm crackin' up with all the highjinx on this thread! What a soap opera!

Jack

Hi Jack..

Well...I've been keeping my eyes and ears open waiting to see if anyone would bring up the matter of the Bay Area Chapter and why it's come to a screeching halt...but no one seems to have grasped an inkling it's current state or even cares to make an inquire about it...:frown:

C'est la vie......I was a impressed last year with the initial turnout. Where did all those guys go??? I guess they didn't like how things where being handled???:confused: If so why didn't anyone speakup or step up.

If it wasn't for your lovely wife's (Yolanda) and your efforts along with MikeC, we would not have made it as far as we did.

Day one I said that this club was everyone's..not just the Boards.

Today I don't see one person who is even showing the smallest of interest in trying to keep it going. I think that right there sums up the gist of this thread.

The way I look at it the memberships silence is deafening..!

Their choice to say nothing speaks volumes of what kind of enthusiasts they truly are...

I know I know those are strong words....but Dan asked a simple question at the start of this thread. Can it be answered truly. Probably not, but listen to some of the reasoning people have given....sounds to me like the dog ate my homework...

We all have problems in life and issues that take up our attention elsewhere. Being able to look forward too and participate in activities that involve our hard earned investment is not guaranteed in this life.
I guess everybody wants something for nothing.. as the song goes.

If someone thinks my comments are about them in particular they have my permission to go ahead and think so!!

Hi Jack..

Well...I've been keeping my eyes and ears open waiting to see if anyone would bring up the matter of the Bay Area Chapter and why it's come to a screeching halt...but no one seems to have grasped an inkling it's current state or even cares to make an inquire about it...:frown:

C'est la vie......I was a impressed last year with the initial turnout. Where did all those guys go??? I guess they didn't like how things where being handled???:confused: If so why didn't anyone speakup or step up.

If it wasn't for your lovely wife's (Yolanda) and your efforts along with MikeC, we would not have made it as far as we did.

Day one I said that this club was everyone's..not just the Boards.

Today I don't see one person who is even showing the smallest of interest in trying to keep it going. I think that right there sums up the gist of this thread.

The way I look at it the memberships silence is deafening..!

Their choice to say nothing speaks volumes of what kind of enthusiasts they truly are...

I know I know those are strong words....but Dan asked a simple question at the start of this thread. Can it be answered truly. Probably not, but listen to some of the reasoning people have given....sounds to me like the dog ate my homework...

We all have problems in life and issues that take up our attention elsewhere. Being able to look forward too and participate in activities that involve our hard earned investment is not guaranteed in this life.
I guess everybody wants something for nothing.. as the song goes.

If someone thinks my comments are about them in particular they have my permission to go ahead and think so!!

Carlos, I'm glad you came on and told us and me in particular how you see it. Staying serious, I have to agree with your take, but something happened when we missed a couple of meetings in a row at the beginning of the year when they overl apped multible day runs we had with other clubs. We come back and everybody is pissed. Was there some kind of beef at a meeting or was there all of a sudden an exodus of attendees?

I can only compare this club to other successful clubs to gauge what may or may not be happening.

You can say what you want about the viability of a team, business or car club and the players, workers and members that give it life. However (and I include myself), to truely be successful it starts at the top and you can't aurgue with that. Therefore it is us, you as acting president, the board members and anyone else that volunteered to do something no matter how small it may have been. We've got nobody to blame but ourselves, the ones that members look up too. When things got a little edgy we all bailed with our tail between our legs. We couldn't finish what we started. It ain't the members fault.

How do I know this, I know because winners don't give up when losing gets tough, or when business slows down or when members don't get involved.

So ultimately, thats why other clubs that I'm part of thrive. It's all about a half dozen winners working together thru everything that our NSX club has experiencd and has yet to experience.

If those leaders work and stick together without becomming discouraged their efforts will be rewarded. If the members see strong leaders they will come!

Now I dare somebody out there tell me I'm wrong and that Carlos' original push for a local NSX club can't succeed!

There is no reason why we can't try again. Everything is in place we just need a new attitude!

Carlos, I'm glad you came on and told us and me in particular how you see it. Staying serious, I have to agree with your take, but something happened when we missed a couple of meetings in a row at the beginning of the year when they overl apped multible day runs we had with other clubs. We come back and everybody is pissed. Was there some kind of beef at a meeting or was there all of a sudden an exodus of attendees?

I can only compare this club to other successful clubs to gauge what may or may not be happening.

You can say what you want about the viability of a team, business or car club and the players, workers and members that give it life. However (and I include myself), to truely be successful it starts at the top and you can't aurgue with that. Therefore it is us, you as acting president, the board members and anyone else that volunteered to do something no matter how small it may have been. We've got nobody to blame but ourselves, the ones that members look up too. When things got a little edgy we all bailed with our tail between our legs. We couldn't finish what we started. It ain't the members fault.

How do I know this, I know because winners don't give up when losing gets tough, or when business slows down or when members don't get involved.

So ultimately, thats why other clubs that I'm part of thrive. It's all about a half dozen winners working together thru everything that our NSX club has experiencd and has yet to experience.

If those leaders work and stick together without becomming discouraged their efforts will be rewarded. If the members see strong leaders they will come!

Now I dare somebody out there tell me I'm wrong and that Carlos' original push for a local NSX club can't succeed!

There is no reason why we can't try again. Everything is in place we just need a new attitude!

I doubt it had anything to do with your absence due to your trips..

There was a breakdown within the leadership group, that I can discuss with you offline..

I admit I could have done better, I have my character flaws.
At the end of the day I could see the lack of interest and involvement by almost all combined with the contention within the leadership.
I decided it was better for me to focus my energies on personal matters.

The word was put out for nominations for new leadership positions and people were nominated but the process seems to have died at that point.

The fascinating fact is no one has noticed the Chapter is kaput!

It's not my wish or preference to see the Chapter fail. I wish the Chapter could succeed and if someone wanted to take up leadership role I would be more than eager to participate and contribute.

I have my doubts from what I have seen from the membership to this point.
I wish to be proven wrong..

Last edited:
Back