Why are Norcal NSX'ers so inactive?

Great thread & great question....now my turn to vent!

The last two times I opened my house up for a free BBQ and invited the entire Sac NSX club, all but two gentlemen showed up. My wife kinda laughed at what a poor joke of a club I belonged too- and she's right. Maybe I should've mentioned a photo shoot with import models, free Meguiars for your chromies, and all the LEDS you can install on your NSX for a better turnout.

After 2 yrs of ownership and member of NSXCA, I personally think a good turnout is about 5-10% of the club's entire membership. A club is only as good as its members and volunteers. How bad did it get? ie) When Tom Kohrs stepped down, only one member volunteered to become his successor (bravo). Even the election of officers was a complete joke.
Like Jack mentioned, I envy how the Vette, Z, etc. are so busy with events - what a shame.

So do I attend every posted event? Of course not. But the 2-3 hrs of free time that I get for myself (away from family life, work, other hobbies) is better spent driving my NSX. In fact, the friends that I'm made at the track are the friends that I have now included in my own circle. So to answer the OP's question, many have tried to organized events only to be let down by the poor turn out.

Let's not worry about putting too much mileage on our beloved NSX, getting a rock chip here/there, parking out of sight, etc. because the bottom line is the NSX is a car and this is a car club, so if anyone want to start a spirited drive then count me in damn it...

50 cent...

Last edited:
I still meet up with NSX owners from the "old gang" when the club was very active in the past. We still get together the first Saturday of every month at McCarthy Marketplace in Milpitas for lunch (Macaroni Grill or On the Border). If any of you want to join us, you're welcome to do so. Many of the people there may not have NSXs anymore (some do) but we talk cars and NSXs.

The best years of the bay area club were from '97 to about '02. We held many of them. I helped coordinate several and so did many others. As time passes on, many leave the club due to changes in their lives. Sadly the group fell apart through time but back then we had an energetic group of people that organized something great nearly every month.

Check out NSXCA Northwest Past Events page that I built for club (still being hosted) showing pictures from all the great events we had. I had pitched some ideas to do these types of events again but they were dismissed. Oh well.

Last edited:
My observation from attending 10 of 12 chapter meets, I have concluded that NSX owners in the Bay Area do not like structure that is inherent with chapter meets. I also have observed that all NSX owners will attend an "EVENT", whether its a meet, car show, bbq or whatever if their schedule allows them to participate. I've seen the fun NSX owners have at events and it certainly appears that they are glad to be there.

I suggest, if you want to post up something in the Bay Area, do so with no expectations. If only you and one other person shows up consider it a success and take that momentum and schedule another event.

Good luck.

Mike

I have concluded that NSX owners in the Bay Area do not like structure that is inherent with chapter meets

I suggest, if you want to post up something in the Bay Area, do so with no expectations. If only you and one other person shows up consider it a success and take that momentum and schedule another event.

Good luck.

Mike

My experience was the certain members of the Board always focused on the bureaucracy and not building the group. I bet if you pull the minutes you would see the same subject matter brought up for discussion with different outcomes several times.

Could that explain why NSX owners didn't like chapter meets???

When does one consider a dismal outcome as momentum?

If you guys dont mind I like to add what I think goes on in the bay.Its the GRIND.Most people here have so much going on family,friends, working trying to pay for every thing that cost so much to live here and alwas on the run.Other regions I would think might be a lil less busy. less going on in there area so you make ur fun happen.
I would love to meet up sometime for a drive.I drive my NSX about 3 times a week.I work on saturday so its hard for me to meet with others.I like going on Sundays for drives up 9 to 35 and stop at Alices for lunch.Its a fun drive just gotta watch out for the cops.

Patchez, After my car is completed next month, I'll give you a call and head up to Alices for lunch. Never drove my NSX on that route.

Also, if you want to drive back down to Monterey again in Sept, we have an annual Pebble Beach Luncheon/run. We had 4 NSX show up in 07.

So do I attend every posted event? Of course not. But the 2-3 hrs of free time that I get for myself (away from family life, work, other hobbies) is better spent driving my NSX. So to answer the OP's question, many have tried to organized events only to be let down by the poor turn out.

Let's not worry about putting too much mileage on our beloved NSX, getting a rock chip here/there, parking out of sight, etc. because the bottom line is the NSX is a car and this is a car club, so if anyone want to start a spirited drive then count me in damn it...

50 cent...

Time has changed and so the NSX owners (age, background, interest, driving style, more/less hair and $$$) but who cares, just enjoy the car while you still have it. It's great to meet and social, but it's even greater driving it. I sold mine and miss it like crazy, but I want to take advantage of the stock market and be able to buy a newer one later on, I still have my eyes on Jack's 05. I will still go to the meet/drive when possible but with my SLK, and hope you guys/gals don't mind.

Jack, I still need to stop by your house to show off my new (old) SLK. Maybe this Thursday if you and Yolanda are in town.

Last edited:
I'm really asking....

Dan

Dan,
Since you asked.

Like the NSX, NSX events are about quality, not quantity. Yes, we have fewer events, and yes, we have less turnout than other groups, but the events we have are fun and the people who attend have a good time. If you measure activity in terms of number of events or number of people who attend, you will be disappointed. I tell people "I'll be there and if only ONE other person makes it, we are STILL having a good time". Quantity is easy. Quality takes time.

Here are some recent event discussions. We are hardly inactive.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123875
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117931
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120688
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124644
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123866
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116876

Great thread & great question....now my turn to vent!

The last two times I opened my house up for a free BBQ and invited the entire Sac NSX club, all but two gentlemen showed up. My wife kinda laughed at what a poor joke of a club I belonged too- and she's right. Maybe I should've mentioned a photo shoot with import models, free Meguiars for your chromies, and all the LEDS you can install on your NSX for a better turnout.

After 2 yrs of ownership and member of NSXCA, I personally think a good turnout is about 5-10% of the club's entire membership. A club is only as good as its members and volunteers. How bad did it get? ie) When Tom Kohrs stepped down, only one member volunteered to become his successor (bravo). Even the election of officers was a complete joke.
Like Jack mentioned, I envy how the Vette, Z, etc. are so busy with events - what a shame.

So do I attend every posted event? Of course not. But the 2-3 hrs of free time that I get for myself (away from family life, work, other hobbies) is better spent driving my NSX. In fact, the friends that I'm made at the track are the friends that I have now included in my own circle. So to answer the OP's question, many have tried to organized events only to be let down by the poor turn out.

50 cent...

Larry,
I hope you didn't drop off of our Sacramento group email list. If you did, let me know and I'll get you added back on.

Were you aware of the 2-3 events we've had EVERY month in the Sacramento region since January 2009? We had some big ones - Dinner and photos at Bridges on the River, Drive and Lunch at Road Trip Cafe in Capay Valley, Dinner at Spaghetti Factory, several EuroSundays, First Friday at The Fountains, upcoming Fund Raiser and Dinner in Downtown Sacramento (July meet), Driving Ambition BBQ and Multi-club Meet, Asian Community Center Fund Raiser, Supporting Kip at a race/track day, etc? We get 15 to nearly 40 people (not alot, but enough) at each event and I can tell you, I haven't talked to one person who didn't have a good time.

Feel free to contact me directly if you really think the club is a poor joke (we are looking for more volunteers to help organize as we have even more ideas we'd like to get going). I'd like to get your feedback if there really is something we could improve upon.

Last edited:
Dan,
Another thought.

You don't have to wait for someone to "organize" an "event" for the Bay Area.
Before I left the Bay in 2006, I found that I had free time on Saturday mornings between 9am-11am. Due to that, I decided I would go and have coffee at different Starbucks locations around the Bay area - perfect time to get the NSX out on the road every weekend. I started posting on Prime that we were doing "Coffee Meets" and guess what? First time out 15 cars showed up. Every couple of weeks, we did the "meet" and got at least 10 NSXs. It's that easy. You want to do something - get it started. Don't sweat the organizing - tell everyone where and when, and they will come.

With all the NSX's in the Bay Area, can anyone take a stab at why we're so disorganized and inactive?

Based on all the responses and lack of response above. It's pretty clear why in the BA we're so disorganized and apathetic....:wink::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Patchez, After my car is completed next month, I'll give you a call and head up to Alices for lunch. Never drove my NSX on that route.

Also, if you want to drive back down to Monterey again in Sept, we have an annual Pebble Beach Luncheon/run. We had 4 NSX show up in 07.

And in 08, we had one. Me!

Now for 09 if we get one more thats a 100% more participation. Something to build on!

We should be posting up that Pebble Beach run soon for anyone interested.

Last edited:
ok I've been HEAVILY involved with cars ever since I moved here in 2001 and prior to that owned a car shop for 4 years in college so cars are clearly in my blood.

That said times change and it's not fair to compare 97-2002 since those were good economic times and people had money, free time, and (yes even more hair...haha)

Nowadays not saying we are all poor but prior obligations to family, work, 2nd job, etc take precedence. It's great if you can attend an event but a lot of people are busy. Personally I think you do events too often and interest dies down. Just look at the Lombard Street shoot! James did an outstanding job staying on top of things and we had a huge NSX turnout. Given enough notice up front is the key. Don't plan TOO MANY events since it gets old...

I love nsx events but cannot afford to be gone a whole weekend driving around usually with other commitments. Can't speak for others but I think this holds true for many.

Take the annual Bimmerfest in Santa Barbara (I attended 6 years in a row). In the first couple years from 02-05 it was awesome with 1000+ cars and tons of sponsors. These past few years I didn't even go because it's so commercialized and boring.

Also you really have to take into account NSX ownership numbers are much lower than Vette, 350z, s2000, etc so you can't expect as many people. Vette guys in "general" are older 50+ retired so yes they can afford to spend all their time at car events. I don't have that luxury since I have to pay the bills :)

rick

With all the NSX's in the Bay Area, can anyone take a stab at why we're so disorganized and inactive? I'd expect to see multiple things going on during most summer weekends. Please don't flame the crap outta me, I'm really asking....

Dan

Fowler and I are coming to hang w/you guys next month. Plan something fun for us?

Based on all the responses and lack of response above. It's pretty clear why in the BA we're so disorganized and apathetic....:wink::rolleyes:

Carlos, I agree that most of the attendes were apathetic, but I will disagree that those that tried to drive the steam locomotive didn't have a good plan. No one helped to keep the boiler lit. Seemed like we were organized and off to a good start only to have the ENGINEERS jump the train when they noticed the trestle hadn't been built yet. I feel like the job didn't get done!

I think I noticed from the very first event we did, the HWY 25 run to Harris Ranch. NSX owners really don't and won't use their cars unless they analyze everything from - time and distance - road conditions (steep hills bumpy roads etc.) - weather - daylight hours - company - repercussions of sneaking off with their car - the all important odometer - tire wear - not being able to actually bring their car into the restaurant when eating - not able to see and admire their car while driving it - sleeping arrangements for boring passengers - cop mania (their out to get me) - chip mania as in flying stones - steep driveways, speed bumps and other annoying obstacles - and finally the old getaway line "what corny excuse can I come up with this time to get out of this" and or leaving early.

Of course, you know I'm only JOKING because I do the same thing!:wink: That's what it means to be an NSX owner.

Last edited:
Of course, you know I'm only JOKING because I do the same thing!:wink: That's what it means to be an NSX owner.

Now, that is funny.

I think most (not all) NSX owners tend have an "engineering" / "scientific" type mindset. For example, I can probably count on one hand the number of NSX owners who DON'T do extensive online/offline research to get the specs, facts, figures, ins, outs, etc of something before buying, doing, going, etc.

It's just the way we are, and that's the way I like it. :smile::biggrin:

Last edited:
Now, that is funny.

I think most (not all) NSX owners tend have an "engineering" / "scientific" type mindset. For example, I can probably count on one hand the number of NSX owners who DON'T do extensive online/offline research to get the specs, facts, figures, ins, outs, etc of something before buying, doing, going, etc.

It's just the way we are, and that's the way I like it. :smile::biggrin:

Are you saying most if not all NSX owners are left Brain dominant..:confused::rolleyes:

Don't they ever want to use the other half..?

I read about 3/4s down and decided I should just post up what I think and I believe its in line with mikes thinking..

we are a group of owners less than half of all produces units are in the USA next that doesn't include how big the USA is, last even with complete production we don't even match up to haw many Vette's and Z's were made in a year (this may not be 100% accurate but you get the point) so how can we think we will have the same turnouts?? I am always of the mind set quality over quantity.

I have met some very close friends over my 4 years of owner ship but much like some of my closest friends in life time gets away.. Family, Friends, Car clubs, Car groups, Jobs, and other countless things get in the way, does that mean I don't love our community, or am less of an owner because of it? Much like my friends I have had my whole life when I do have time to meet up with the 10-15 owners I normally have an opportunity to meet with I have a wonderful time and things are just as they would be meeting every weekend like last summer.

I enjoy meets as much as any other brand owner, I would think I have more pride than most (hell I got a heritage badge on my arm) sh!t just happens no offense to anyone planning. Hell James and I planned the majority of meets last year this time by saying whatcha doing friday? cool lets post up and see who else comes, if noone else showed up we were having fun...

quality friendships not just masses is what I seek, good guys (/girls there are a few of ya :p ), like minded, with genuine interest in each other and a love for a car no matter who else is around..

Time has changed and so the NSX owners (age, background, interest, driving style, more/less hair and $$$) but who cares, just enjoy the car while you still have it. It's great to meet and social, but it's even greater driving it. I sold mine and miss it like crazy, but I want to take advantage of the stock market and be able to buy a newer one later on, I still have my eyes on Jack's 05. I will still go to the meet/drive when possible but with my SLK, and hope you guys/gals don't mind.

Jack, I still need to stop by your house to show off my new (old) SLK. Maybe this Thursday if you and Yolanda are in town.

I like Phong drive mines to give him a quick fix. LOL

No Z06?

I hear you Jack......and am in complete agreement with you.

Like you, I've organized a few events in the past and participated in several others. I won't do it anymore.

I laugh every time I read someone asking for "someone" to organize a gathering or activity. No one ever wants to take on the onus. Leave it to someone else...I just want to show up.... well.... and have others look at my car and me theirs nothing more than that.

It's sad to see the need for that events coordinator no longer exists. Since so few know how to put one together nowadays.

That position was so useful in the past....just a shame...

It has to do with the demographics of NSX ownerships both quality and quantity. The quantity is easily explanable. NSXs are simply rare. As far as the quality, it is getting low too. The NSXs used to be predominantly owned by hard working, educated and accountable people. People who were from the generation that still have the senses of accountability, work ethics, privilege, obligation, respect, and knowing to do the RIGHT things. With the prices of the cars dropping to the 20's, I see a new group of immature, unaccountable, and disrespectful owners. This group of people simply do not know that privileges come with obligations. Their sense of ENTITLEMENT is just repulsive. Many of them enjoy all the club events but do not think that they need to contribute ANYTHING. Not their time, effort, or even the mere $40 membership. Any club event would be a total voluntary option without any commitment. Why should these guy think that they should contribute anything to these events when all these events are open to any Tom, Dick, and "Harry" off the street??!! Thank God, we have one Harry Somerfield who is one of the founding members of the NSXCA and he is still donating his time and leg work to organize events. Harry year after year has open up his beautiful home and swimming pool to us for gatherings and some people have the galls to think that they don't need membership to enjoy these privileges!!! How many people went to Harry's home last year were actually NSXCA members??!! By exposing these people to such generosity, one would hope that they would enjoy the camaraderie and contribute to the club. But the same people continue to take advantages of these generosities and REFUSE to give anything back. I blame the current club officers to have fostered such unaccountabilities of the partygoers. As club officers, they have the responsibilities to promote memberships by imposing them. By practicing the so called "open" policy, why would anyone join the club by contributing the $40 membership!!!!???? Why would anyone have any sense of belonging or obligation to help out the club!!!??? Do you expect these people to step up when you cannot even get them to become members? Why pay for it when you can get it for free? I have repeatedly pleaded for membership requirement but they went to deaf ears. The Club has been in the red for the past few years and these nonsense "open policy" is largely to blame. Yes, it is a HUGH TURN OFF for people to be called their true nature, parasites. But who says reality is always easy to swallow? It is however simply REPULSIVE to see these parasites taking advantages of other people's donated hard works. Come to think of it, they would be stupid to pay for the membership if nothing requires it.
Flame on and let people see who you are.
BTW, I have had a hard time tracking down the (insert whatever automotive services here) man, can someone arrange him to be at the event so he can fix my car? ENTITLEMENT indeed.
Give me a f@#$ing break!
Steve

Last edited:
It has to do with the demographics of NSX ownerships both quality and quantity. The quantity is easily explanable. NSXs are simply rare. As far as the quality, it is getting low too. The NSXs used to be predominantly owned by hard working, educated and accountable people. People who were from the generation that still have the senses of accountability, work ethics, privilege, obligation, respect, and knowing to do the RIGHT things. With the prices of the cars dropping to the 20's, I see a new group of immature, unaccountable, and disrespectful owners. This group of people simply do not know that privileges come with obligations. Their sense of ENTITLEMENT is just repulsive. Many of them enjoy all the club events but do not think that they need to contribute ANYTHING. Not their time, effort, or even the mere $40 membership. Any club event would be a total voluntary option without any commitment. Why should these guy think that they should contribute anything to these events when all these events are open to any Tom, Dick, and "Harry" off the street??!! Thank God, we have one Harry Somerfield who is one of the founding members of the NSXCA and he is still donating his time and leg work to organize events. Harry year after year has open up his beautiful home and swimming pool to us for gatherings and some people have the galls to think that they don't need membership to enjoy these privileges!!! How many people went to Harry's home last year were actually NSXCA members??!! By exposing these people to such generosity, one would hope that they would enjoy the camaraderie and contribute to the club. But the same people continue to take advantages of these generosities and REFUSE to give anything back. I blame the current club officers to have fostered such unaccountabilities of the partygoers. As club officers, they have the responsibilities to promote memberships by imposing them. By practicing the so called "open" policy, why would anyone join the club by contributing the $40 membership!!!!???? Why would anyone have any sense of belonging or obligation to help out the club!!!??? Do you expect these people to step up when you cannot even get them to become members? Why pay for it when you can get it for free? I have repeatedly pleaded for membership requirement but they went to deaf ears. The Club has been in the red for the past few years and these nonsense "open policy" is largely to blame. Yes, it is a HUGH TURN OFF for people to be called their true nature, parasites. But who says reality is always easy to swallow? It is however simply REPULSIVE to see these parasites taking advantages of other people's donated hard works. Come to think of it, they would be stupid to pay for the membership if nothing requires it.
BTW, I have had a hard time tracking down the (insert whatever automotive services here) man, can someone arrange him to be at the event so he can fix my car? ENTITLEMENT indeed.
Give me a f@#$ing break!
Steve

:eek:

I think we should have an email alert about events. I mean I live in Fremont and I just missed the meet at Automall! I don't have all the time to browse prime to scour for upcoming events.

Here is a great example of the confusion that surrounds club events.

Friday night was not a club sponsored activity.....

The current status of the Bay Area Chapter is that it is not in existence...

The Board is completely vacant.

No one has inquired in the Bay Area about is status or about taking over.

This just goes to show that most owners in the Bay don't have a vested interest in having a club.

There is no chapter of the NSXCA in the Bay Area currently.

Give me a f@#$ing break!
Steve

"I think the idea is - if it's opened up to everyone you might get someone to show". Quote: Jack Atkinson

If one wants to kill something permanently, the elitist attitude of " if you don't pay to join our click you won't benefit from our effort", is a direct slap in the face of the majority who could give a damn about rules, authority, politics and other bull. Like it or not, that's just the way it is with the young guns or anybody else who is fed up with regulations and wasteful spending.The NSX DRIVER MAGAZINE is a perfect example of where all the money goes. Your paying for a few ring leaders to have a ball putting together their NSX propaganda and what else does ones 40 bucks get you. $5 bucks returned back to a chapter. Boy, a club could really kick ass with that kind of money! I'd call that terrible investing.

So to call some still hard working, educated and accountable persons inmature, unaccountable and parasites with repulsive thinking just because they don't drink your koolaid, is the exact formula that will turn the ones your trying to enlist, away. DAA!

You've also got a lot of nerve calling out club officers for not acting like the Gestopo and imposing responsibilities as you see them. It's elitist thinking like this that makes owning an NSX almost embarrassing.
The thing I seemed to have learned the most is, informal, unplanned and spur of the moment get togethers for anybody who wants to show (free of charge) is what the NSX owner desires and enjoys. If there is gambling, eating or just plain staring at their cars in a parking lot, thats even better. The idea of paying a fee to do the things just described is by most a joke.

Your attitude just plain sucks and if the NSXCA club is ending up in the red then you only have to read your own ramblings in part to know why!

Get a grip before you ruin it for everyone! Your posts and your reference to qualility couldn't be farther apart!

"I think the idea is - if it's opened up to everyone you might get someone to show". Quote: Jack Atkinson

If one wants to kill something permanently, the elitist attitude of " if you don't pay to join our click you won't benefit from our effort", is a direct slap in the face of the majority who could give a damn about rules, authority, politics and other bull. Like it or not, that's just the way it is with the young guns or anybody else who is fed up with regulations and wasteful spending.The NSX DRIVER MAGAZINE is a perfect example of where all the money goes. Your paying for a few ring leaders to have a ball putting together their NSX propaganda and what else does ones 40 bucks get you. $5 bucks returned back to a chapter. Boy, a club could really kick ass with that kind of money! I'd call that terrible investing.

So to call some still hard working, educated and accountable persons inmature, unaccountable and parasites with repulsive thinking just because they don't drink your koolaid, is the exact formula that will turn the ones your trying to enlist, away. DAA!

You've also got a lot of nerve calling out club officers for not acting like the Gestopo and imposing responsibilities as you see them. It's elitist thinking like this that makes owning an NSX almost embarrassing.
The thing I seemed to have learned the most is, informal, unplanned and spur of the moment get togethers for anybody who wants to show (free of charge) is what the NSX owner desires and enjoys. If there is gambling, eating or just plain staring at their cars in a parking lot, thats even better. The idea of paying a fee to do the things just described is by most a joke.

Your attitude just plain sucks and if the NSXCA club is ending up in the red then you only have to read your own ramblings in part to know why!

Get a grip before you ruin it for everyone! Your posts and your reference to qualility couldn't be farther apart!

Jack.....sometimes I really dont like what you have to say but other times like this you are just so spot on I have to applaud you.

Back