which year NSX is best, in your opinion?

You'll be surprised how much better your NSX-T is set up with Type R suspension and sway bars. The chassis rigidity between Cpe and T plays very little unless you take it on to the track.
I think 97-01 is the best. You have all the upgrades with classsic pop up lights. I have a harness bar in my car which really gets rid of any flex you feel in a targa.

I do like the gathered leather over the perforated (probably the only person in the world) so I'd go with a 1997-1999. Plus, the front end of the pop-ups has a classic look compared to the bug-eyes. It's not really the revealed lights I dislike rather than the oddly angular portions of the front bumper on those cars. The taillight change is for the better though.

my .02:

the best NSX is:

A targa... this is your toy car....you're only going to drive it on beautiful days, where you know where your going to park it and keep and eye on it... you will rarely, if ever drive it with the top on. (I came from Porsches.... it's was always a convert/ for me.. and the top was always down. (alternate perfect solution: have a nice convertible some else in the garage too, but how much time do you have to enjoy these toys.!!) Body flex? just how hard are you going to drive to that summer bar b que???

a stick... it's a toy.. you probably want to be engaged with the car... however.. I don't think the auto is as evil as some...

speed, power and handlin of one car over another..... come on... these cars go 80 in second gear (or more, how the heck would I know!!).. they'll all peel asphalt off the roadbed on turns!!
these cars have double the performance anyone should reasonably use.(with sincere apoligies to those who DO care about that stuff!!!!... it's just a question you need to ask yourself when buying)

buy one you can easily afford. after the "new is gone" and your friends have all OOOhd and awwwed... you've got the money wrapped up... not them... and you don't want to resent the money wrapped up, or some huge payment.

buy the color YOU want... YOU have to live with it. I needed that beaten into my head by my wife and buddies~~

enjoy the search... it's a big part of the fun of toy hunting!!!!

97-2001 are great, but getting hard to find.. They have the classic flap up headlight look (that will look very retro in 10 years, since you dont see flap up lights on cars being made anymore because flap up lights cost car makers $) and have all the performance upgrades including engine, power steering etc.. If you can find one in a rare color they are just as rare (if not more) and collectable as a Zanardi.

Last edited:
Hands down...
2000 - 2001 NA2 coupes
These cars are rare, rare, and have all the NA2 features without the ugly 02 + headlamps
next
1999 Z

But those picks are missing one of the best NSX features... The targa. :)

just a quick question regarding which years of the NSX are favoured by the very loyal and very well educated followers of this website?

i'm looking into buying an early model NA1 NSX, a 3.0 liter version. can't decide if i would prefer an original '91 NSX or perhaps a later model T-version. either way it would have to be a manual transmission with a non-black interior. i'm currently (heavily) leaning towards a very clean '91 red with black top/ivory interior example, but on ocassion i spot an all red NSX-T/tan interior car and imagine it would be pretty awesome to have no roof during the nice weather. however, i know the T's are a little heavier, and some times a bit slower, perhaps not quite as stiff?

just wondering the pros and cons of the different model years through the early to mid '90s in:

acceleration performance
prestige
handling
reliability
plain old driving enjoyment (having the lift out roof?)

fastaussie, the best car to buy all depends. You like hideaway or froggy headlights? I like the hideaways so it was somewhere between 1991 and 2001 for me to choose. Next it was "T" or not and I wanted a "T" living in California. So now I'm down to 1995 to 2001. Next is the extra power and 6 speed and the importance of paying $5-7K for the 3.2. 3.0 was fine for me, the change out of heads and a few other goodies would make it as quick as a 3.2. So now I'm left with a 1995 or 1996. I ended up buying a 1996 and love the performance handling and fun factor. If I want straight line speed just get in my Grand National and blow away most everything on the road. So fastaussie decide for yourself on what you want.....

Last edited:
I still vote for '91 or '92...before they started monkeying around with the car. I wanted the car as it was originally envisioned...in it's pure inception form.

YMMV...

I agree, 91-92 is the best in my opionion

Reasoning:
Lowest price to be able to get into a NSX which leaves more money to make it they way YOU want it
Also Coupe and OBD1
Anything and everything from late model NSX can go on them
If the plan is for boost, then a engine rebuild is recommended anyways so you can easily bump up the motor to 3.2L or more at that time

Back