What kind of HP is the NSX capable of?

To parrot the expert views of others on Prime (as I am not -- although I have a newly CTSC'd '91), it seems about 440 hp is about what the base motor was engineered to relatively reliably handle without major internal mods. Pthers correct me if I am wrong.

if your question, is literally how much power can an NSX have, then others comments about $$$ is the answer. However, if your question is more about how much power can one create by a close to blot-in (plus engine management) then the answer is the low to mid 400's.

Welcome to Prime......the nsx is capable of high hp if you have $$$

If you want reliablity on the stock block, dont go over the 400-450hp range.

As you will see parts and mods are not cheap.

I think a supercharger is good if you are looking for bolt on and 330-390hp range.

You might want to look at the Comptech one or maybe wait a bit while the BBSC is getting a redesign by Jon K.

Armando is actually a nice guy don't misunderstand his sarcasm for being an a-hole.....he is actually a great guy and funny too also well respected on this forum.

Whats up Grey Goose! :smile:

Armando can be quie cynical, but in this case I think he is spot on. If you can only budget $10K and the kit you want to add is $9500 installed, you are likely going to go over budget, and on turbos and the non-comptech kits (or with the High boost CTSC even) this is especially true. Even some people here who had no issues suddenly developed the need for a new clutch and rear tires after installing the standard CTSC kit.:wink:

MiamieNeSeX said:
How is my comment negative? Hit too close to home? I am not preventing you or anyone else from driving whatever it is they want to drive. And its not negativity that sucks, it's reality, and the reality of the matter is that most that install FI shouldnt, and more than most that start these threads never do.

Armando

sad but true. Id say once a week, a new thread is started in the FI forum that begins, "I thinking of a yada yada yada turbo or supercharger". Its rare you ever seen the poster follow thru or even continue to post in general for more than a month.

Lets start by buying the NSX first and we'll take it from there:wink:

The Kid said:
sad but true. Id say once a week, a new thread is started in the FI forum that begins, "I thinking of a yada yada yada turbo or supercharger". Its rare you ever seen the poster follow thru or even continue to post in general for more than a month.

Lets start by buying the NSX first and we'll take it from there:wink:

I agree.

MiamieNeSeX said:
Seems to me that those concerned with the cost of FI have no business adding it to their cars. Buy an EVO:smile:

Armando

this is probably thebest overall response I've seen. I put in 12k into my bbsc with all the addons, and have mentally budgeted another 10k for if my motor blows, and 3k is sitting here waiting for my clutch to let go...

peiserg said:
this is probably thebest overall response I've seen. I put in 12k into my bbsc with all the addons, and have mentally budgeted another 10k for if my motor blows, and 3k is sitting here waiting for my clutch to let go...

true story. Im at just over $11k and have a couple of bucks stacked away for my clutch as well.

There are many available, the hp depend on how much you money you are willing to spend and your need.

Don't forget 3.8L NA. The powerband on that is crazy, a crap load of low and mid range torque, more than Superchargers.

There are 3 major Supercharger system available, with very different power curves, you can check out the supercharger comparision here. CTSC and Gruppe M give you a powerband and low end torque of a V8. BBSC/Boostzilla centrifugal type give you semi-turbo like of powerband, a ton more hp up top.

SCcomparison.jpg

attachment.php

That is Graham's engine bay, made 400+rwhp on low boost, according to the owner, the power down low is similar to stock. Currently getting complete built internal, additional mods. Should be a 500~600rwhp monster once it is done. IMHO it will looks 100times better without the Boostzilla stickers.:biggrin:

Excellent information from everyone. Low 400rwhp sounds awesome in a lightweight mid-engine car. Well see once I get the car in less than four days. Pretty Exciting!:biggrin:
Thanks,
Craig

MiamieNeSeX said:
Seems to me that those concerned with the cost of FI have no business adding it to their cars...:smile:

Armando
Correct. On the costs associated with FI issues...that man KNOWS what he's talking about!

ccathey said:
I want an FI NSX therefore I SHOULD install one. Who are you to say who should or shouldn't? However, I will take some of the others advice and drive the car for a while before I change it. Just looking for information. Most of the posts that I have received have been positive as you can see. Thank you all and please keep the info coming.
Craig

If you don't plan on making serious modifications to the inside of your motor, the only reliable solution is the Comptech at standard boots which is about 6lbs. The stock NSX motor is an open deck design and can not tolerate high boost pressures. The standard Comptech will add about 80 to 100 RWHP especially if you help it breath better by adding headers (in a pre 97 car) and a nice catback exhaust like the Taitec GT Lightweight.

If you start upping the boost numbers from 6lbs you will blow up your motor. I guarantee it just as surely as I can guarantee you that the sun will rise in the morning. Higher boost numbers require serious internal engine modifications and the costs can quickly become astronomical.

Hugh said:
If you start upping the boost numbers from 6lbs you will blow up your motor. I guarantee it just as surely as I can guarantee you that the sun will rise in the morning. Higher boost numbers require serious internal engine modifications and the costs can quickly become astronomical.

oh brother...looks like all the panty-waists are coming out to play...

if you listen to hugh he will paralyze you with so much fear you're going to be afraid to even turn on the windshield wipers on your car..

instead of listening to someone who has never had a boosted nsx listen to the guys who have (for better or worse).

and since when can you get 100 rwhp from a 6psi comptech? 75 is normal..100 is INCREDIBLY rare unless you tack on all other stuff which also tacks on a lot of $.

peiserg said:
oh brother...looks like all the panty-waists are coming out to play...

if you listen to hugh he will paralyze you with so much fear you're going to be afraid to even turn on the windshield wipers on your car..

instead of listening to someone who has never had a boosted nsx listen to the guys who have (for better or worse).

and since when can you get 100 rwhp from a 6psi comptech? 75 is normal..100 is INCREDIBLY rare unless you tack on all other stuff which also tacks on a lot of $.

I was going to put zymol on my car with a German made applicator and remove it with an italian made towel, but Hugh told me my fenders would fall off:biggrin:

Hugh said:
If you don't plan on making serious modifications to the inside of your motor, the only reliable solution is the Comptech at standard boots which is about 6lbs. The stock NSX motor is an open deck design and can not tolerate high boost pressures. The standard Comptech will add about 80 to 100 RWHP especially if you help it breath better by adding headers (in a pre 97 car) and a nice catback exhaust like the Taitec GT Lightweight.

Hugh is known to talk out of his ass sometimes and given some recent events we will excuse him. :)

A stock block with stock ecu and the comptech is good for 350 to 360 hp. A stock block with an aftermarket ecu and the right tune is good to about 425 with the Basch SC, after 425 wether you are running an aftercooler or not it is a matter of time until you will need to crack open the motor and fix broken things in there.

Armando

peiserg said:

That's exactly why I don't have a boosted NSX. Like a good boy I spent a LOT of time reading the FI forums and decided the risk/reward ratio was about the same as walking through downtown Baghdad with a Star Of David on your t-shirt.

Unless you properly prepare the motor adding forced induction is a death sentence.

Shumdit said:
I was going to put zymol on my car with a German made applicator and remove it with an italian made towel, but Hugh told me my fenders would fall off:biggrin:

Not your fenders, your testicles!

attachment.php
Hugh said:
That's exactly why I don't have a boosted NSX. Like a good boy I spent a LOT of time reading the FI forums and decided the risk/reward ratio was about the same as walking through downtown Baghdad with a Star Of David on your t-shirt.

Unless you properly prepare the motor adding forced induction is a death sentence.

NsXMas said:
Boostzilla is the way to go, gents. Lots of powa!!!!!!!

Stickers too. Stickers add 10 HP minimum.

Stickers are good but what really makes huge HP numbers for very little money is to make sure that you don’t take a base line dyno reading or if you do make sure that after the mod you take it to a different dyno that is reading about 100 hp high. Then you can show all your friends the graph and convince yourself you are making huge power and because you are not really making all that power it will be reliable too.

Regards,

Patrick

Hugh said:

Ive been running smoothly for awhile now and havent had any issues. Its nice knowing that Chris from SOS has some FI engine packages available in case she goes boom. $4600 ish I remember correctly, $1000 to ship the car there and now I can sleep well at night:biggrin:

Hugh said:
the only reliable solution is the Comptech at standard boots which is about 6lbs. .

ahh crap. here I am, sleeping great at night (thanks to a very nice bed) thinking my 375rwhp 8 psi bbsc is safe. Now i find out that it's NOT? you mean to tell me that I should have been losing sleep every night for the last 30,000 boosted miles? Great. just great...

Back