What do you all think of Porsches??

Oh btw, on the 959, I always have a sour feeling when I look at it, I remember back then when I was like 10, 11 yrs old, the 959 is the coolest. In the last 5 years, whenever I see one, I felt like it built like a kit car, well a poor built kit car however its funtional....[/QUOTE]

i think you got the wrong model. they only made 250 959s, they are not really on a "whenever i see one basis". you must have it confused with another model. its all good though. ;)

ya i dont know why i put non in there :confused:

jgtcnsx said:
Oh btw, on the 959, I always have a sour feeling when I look at it, I remember back then when I was like 10, 11 yrs old, the 959 is the coolest. In the last 5 years, whenever I see one, I felt like it built like a kit car, well a poor built kit car however its funtional....

i think you got the wrong model. they only made 250 959s, they are not really on a "whenever i see one basis". you must have it confused with another model. its all good though. ;)

ya i dont know why i put non in there :confused:[/QUOTE]

On top of that they are not street legal in the US. Just recently you can drive them though as part of the new import laws. (showcar law or something??)

03 raw nsx said:
NICE :D

since when is William (she bangs) Hung the new benchmark for STUD.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well then maybe William could Hung his license plate right side up. :D

I am seriously considering a Porsche as my next car, but to me, anything other than a turbo doesn't really add anything over the NSX. I really want to feel that Porsche turbo power.

jgtcnsx said:
thiers a million differnet kinds of porsches you rarely see. how about a gt2 or a gt3 shit i dont even see many 911(996) turbos around. but their are plenty over 70,000 that you never see or rarely see how many carrera gts have you ever seen?? but my favorite porsche, only 250 made 959 baby 450 hp NON TURBO six cylinder top speed 197 mph oh ya it was made in 1987 and 1988. the thing i love about porsche the most though is there racing history :)

agreed, but all cut from the same silhouette. boring :o . And the 959 is not legal is the US. Porsche would not crash test it. :p

the only thing the NSX is missing is racing heritage. :rolleyes:

I have always had Porsche's. I had a 964 with problems and stayed away for awhile, but recently bought a 996 Conv. I really like the car, it is totally different from the 90 C4 I had. Great ride, more power and awsome handeling. With the top down it is a dream. Different car from the NSX, each have their positives and negatives. I say it is personal preferences.

I bought a 2002 996 TT about 1 1/2 years ago and have had ZERO problems with the car and mine has been modded to make about 520 hp, 460 hp at the wheels. Brutally fast but I still think the NSX is a nicer car to drive.

i think you got the wrong model. they only made 250 959s, they are not really on a "whenever i see one basis". you must have it confused with another model. its all good though.
When I said whenever I see one, I don't mean by seeing one in person, i mean in calender, magazine, internets...etc. Being a car enthusiast for so many years, I would be real ashamed if I'd mistaken a 959 with other models. :( It's all good, you don't even know the 959 had twin turbos.. :p
What I mean is that the 959 do belong to the 80's. whereas some other car's look always breath-taking.

NSXDreamer2 said:
When I said whenever I see one, I don't mean by seeing one in person, i mean in calender, magazine, internets...etc. Being a car enthusiast for so many years, I would be real ashamed if I'd mistaken a 959 with other models. :( It's all good, you don't even know the 959 had twin turbos.. :p
What I mean is that the 959 do belong to the 80's. whereas some other car's look always breath-taking.
cmon bro easy with the none turbo thing hehe ok ok i understand ;)

OK- I really don't want to rain on you guys porsche parade but this thread keeps popping up. So I will throw in my 2 cents. These views are mainly based on the 911- the car that has made porsche a house hold name.

Lets get the few positives out of the way:
1. Incredible racing history- 962's, 917's, 908's, 959's, 911's. If you are a P nut then you already know all this.
2. Extremely durable design for endurance racing.
3. Rear weight bias is awesome for track use.
4. Carrera GT.

The Not so Positives(Again these are my not so humble OPINIONS):

1. Looks Like a Toad - It was kinda cute in 80's when all the other cars looked like they were styled by a bunch of 9 year olds. However by the Early 90's when compared to the NSX it looks absolutely Pathetic. The lines lost their flow. The car had truely mediocore styling by the late 80's, early 90's. The 993 was a dramatic improvement. Then they go backwards with the soulless 996. I could go on forever just on the 996. However I will leave it with just one comment- Omelette headlights. WTF are Omelette headlights. What kind of Sports car company decides to give there Halo car OMELETTE Headlights to differentiate the little brother(boxster) from the big brother(911). The rear fenders were sooooo dull that many people bought aftermarket kits or Carrera 4's just to get the 911 fender flares. The 997 is BORING, oops I mean Retro without trying to be Retro. How boring is that. :rolleyes: Put a 997 front next to a Beetle Turbo- Do you notice the Heritage. I sure do and I would be hurling if I was the owner of the $85k 997. What is Porsche going to do with the 998 styling. Where can they go next? How many variations of a Toad can they come up with?

2. Ugly Ass Interior - For years, every time I sat in a 911 I thought in my head- I would never pay this kinda money for this interior. I played this game in my Head 5 times. My prelude had better ergonomics. BTW, What the hell is that big ass clock doing in the instument cluster. Some prefer the minimalist interior. The minimalist interior works in a 60's or 70's car or a track car but ForChristSake why is it in a pseudo luxury GT or SportsCar in the 90's.

3. Poor Clutch and Transmission shifter - I am not talking about durability, I am talking about the engagement. Why does the Clutch have such a long travel and why is the shifter soo loose. Am I in 3rd or 5th, did I just just downshift into 2ND-Gasp or was that 4th. All this distraction doesnot make for a fun driving experience. I know, I know you get used to it. But, I would prefer they had it right from the beginning. A friend of mine recently bought a 993 as a daily driver. It looked beautiful and he wanted to show me that buying a NSX was a mistake. So, I took it for a spin. Damn that throw and clutch felt even longer than in the 911 sc I drove 5 years earlier. How can that possibly be. Later on I drove the 997. Surely they must have improved it with a 996. NOPE. Still poor. I hear that the 997 is a giant leap forward. WOW- it took them ONLY 50 years to get that right. :p

4. Options List. This has got to be my biggest pet peeve. The 911 is already pricey. Some might say that it is overpriced(when compared to the Vette, and I know so is the NSX). Yet if you want you can option up your $70k 911 with a myriad of color/interior/exterior options. Mind you, none of this will may your "Sports Car" go any faster. Its just there to personalize your baby. You can get this color option, that funky leather interior, and don't forget that Useless Bling bling Body kit. Thats only $100k. You sure you don't want matching seatbelts and Colored body crests :rolleyes: Nobody, I repeat Nobody knows the fine art of Ripping People Off like Porsche. This isn't a Tablot Lago, a Ferrari or a Bentley. Its a mass produced porsche. The Boxster S that competes with a $32k s2000 can be bought for $60k will a "few" options. Give me a break!

5. Expensive Maintenance. Some might argue that its "Not as bad as a Ferrari". Then again A p car IS NOT a Ferrari. Never has been never will be. End of discussion. When you start competing in Formula 1 then you can come back to the discussion.

6. 2+2 seating. Is this a REAL Sports car or what. What is the purpose of those seats. Surely it is not for real people. You can stuff a kid back there(in a Porsche car seat ;) ), but when was the last time you saw somebody use it? I know its helps make it a better daily driver. But I don't want it in my sports car. I wish that it came with delete option that made the car smaller/lighter. Thank god atleast the GT3 doesn't come with it.

7. The Pepper. This thing is uglier than its cousin the Touraeg. If you get the Turbo its even Fuglier and costs $90k. If you(Porsche) really want to expand market share, I would think the next logical step would be a sports coupe(ala CLK or 6 series) or a Sedan. Why does a Sports car Company need a SUV? btw, did you notice that the 911TT got a HP increase to keep up with the Pepper V8 turbo. So let me get this straight, Your Sports car comes with less HP and cylinders(flat 6) than your SUV. :o

8. I have few more "counter points" - but its almost midnight and my wife is a little ticked off at me. So I might try to add some other "issues" later.

BTW, just in case you think I am a Porsche Hater. I am not. I am a Car enthusiast/fanatic. Any car- not just sports cars. Oh, and when I went to see the 997, they had a GT3 in there with 600 miles on it. They wanted ONLY $117K for a used car. It was VERY VERY tempting, Omelette lights and all :D 0

ok I'm going up on my Flame suit now. :eek:

I like Porsches a lot, but there is something called LOVE; I don’t know how to describe it. I know that most people see the porche as being a better car than the NSX, but for me, the Porsche just doesn’t talk to me at all, it doesn’t have my name written on it.

I’m not kidding you, but when I was 13 years old, I used to dream of a car that looks and goes like a Ferrari but had the reliability of a Japanese car. And I always imagined it having a big letter “H” on the hood, just because I saw Honda as a small car company beating up on giants such as Toyota and Chevrolet.

When I grew up, I saw the NSX!! And that’s it, no second opinions, no after thoughts, this will be my car one day regardless of how good other cars get.

NSXLuvr said:
5. Expensive Maintenance. Some might argue that its "Not as bad as a Ferrari". Then again A p car IS NOT a Ferrari. Never has been never will be. End of discussion. When you start competing in Formula 1 then you can come back to the discussion.

Since this isn't a Porsche forum, how expensive is "Expensive?"
Major services? Tbelt/Pump replacement? Oil changes?
Anyone know? :confused:

jgtcnsx said:

ya i dont know why i put non in there :confused:

Hi

According to the sign next to the Porsche 959 in this thread they made 230 of it.

It looked real good. I do not agree it looked like a kit car, but less exotic than expected.

My brothers 993 is a nice car (also in the above thread). I think the 1995 interior in it looks outdated compared to the 1991 interior of the NSX. I do not know about the handling as I have not testdroven it. It is not as low as my NSX so better as a daily driver. It also has 4wd and the power is good.

Everyone has a Porsche. Only a few has a NSX.

I can not tell which model the Porsches I see are, they are everywhere. Good cars, but because everyone has one it has lost a lot of its mystique for me.

Where I live there are not that many Porsches. I usually salute them when I see them, because there is usually a enthusiast inside and I can respect that.

Regards

I have to add something here.

The term "I see Porsche's everywhere, but not as many NSX's..." is misleading because there are many models of Porsche's out there. Aside from the fact that they are mass produced, they are everywhere because you're not particularly looking for ONE type of Porsche model. You see a Boxster, you say, "oh there's a porsche." You see a 911 you still say, "Oh there's another Porsche."

Do you know how many Acura's are out there? How many times do you see a TL or Integra or RL or RSX.... just on your commute home from work? A hell of a lot more than Porsches that's for sure!

I don't see a 996 driving around everyday, do you? I see a lot of Boxsters though.

Joel said:

The term "I see Porsche's everywhere, but not as many NSX's..." is misleading because there are many models of Porsche's out there. Aside from the fact that they are mass produced, they are everywhere because you're not particularly looking for ONE type of Porsche model. You see a Boxster, you say, "oh there's a porsche." You see a 911 you still say, "Oh there's another Porsche."

Do you know how many Acura's are out there? How many times do you see a TL or Integra or RL or RSX.... just on your commute home from work? A hell of a lot more than Porsches that's for sure!

I don't see a 996 driving around everyday, do you? I see a lot of Boxsters though.

Hi

I see your point. Fact is that I know to little about Porsches to tell one from another. I can ofcourse tell a Boxter from a 993 or a 996, but I have trouble saying that that is a Porsche from 1995 and that is a Porsche from 1999 and so on.

I really do not care that much about Porsches so it is not a problem. That is the background for my statement. But my statement that "there is another Porsche" is true for a lot of people. Women not interested in cars usually knows what a Porsche looks like. They have no idea what I drive.

Porsche makes sportscars. They have always done that. They do not make a "Volkswagen" other then the Cayenne which is hardly a car for everyday people. Honda on the other hand makes cars for everyday people.

Fact is that I see no Acura's, RSX, TL's or RL's on my way back from work. They are called Honda here and we do not have those models :)

Joking aside we have a few Prelude's and some CRX's around and ofcourse a bunch of Civic's and Accords. But if we talk about sportcars there is a NSX 115km from my hometown and a total of about 20 in my country. In my town there are one Boxter and about 5 other Porsches form 911's to 924 and 944. We even have a Ferrari 308 here. I saw my first NSX 2 years ago and I am 33 years old.

I should have gone to bed because I have no idea where I am heading with this post :) But to wrap it up, my point is that yes Porsche's are rare here. And yes there are different models. But seeing a Porsche does not "ring my bell". Seeing a NSX or even the old 308 is more fun then the all the Porsches added together. Does that make the Porsches bad cars..no it does not.

On vacation I saw the parkinglot at the NurburgRing "full" of Porsche GT2's and GT3's. Nice cars, but at the end they where "just another Porsche". I spent time looking at a BMW M1 and other stuff that I found more interesting.

Regards

Joel said:

couldnt agree with you more. thats what i was tyrin to say above. you cant just say porsche and nsx. there are alot of different kinds of porsches.

Joel said:

I see at least 4-10 996's here everyday. No joke.
I think they're completely hideous! [and they don't sound right either.]

to me, 964's are the best looking *modern* 911.

993 TT all the way!!!!! That car is in my top favorite cars of all time. I would avoid the 996 as they are a "dime a dozen", at least here in So Cali. I see at least 5 twin turbos (I see at least 10 non turbos) on the way home every day, and there are two in the parking structure where I work, and they park face to face!!!!!! pretty sad such a beautiful machine is so common.

Anyways, the 993 looks better. And I agree, wait for the Twin Turbo.

Jack

Back