What do most (ex) NSX owners sell their NSXs to get?

What would you buy after your NSX?

• Ferrari

Votes: 44 24.9%
  • Lambo

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Maserati

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Lotus

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Porsche

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • Vette

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Viper

• Aston Martin

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Another NSX

Votes: 71 40.1%
  • Hey, I'm a family guy now -- a van.

• Some BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti to have backseats while filling my need for speed

Votes: 14 7.9%

• Total voters
I bought myself a Boat...

As a fairly short timer here compared to so many - I see a lot of guys selling one model NSX and buying a later one. I've seen that many times and if I sell mine that's probably what I'd do.

I came from the world of the 911 and I still have great affections for the marque and would love to have a stable of cars - one of which would be a 911 of some sort. I may eventually have another. Ferrari - well of course every red blooded sports car enthusiast would love to own one if they had the maintenance bucks.

When it gets right down to it there are few sports cars that are as cheap to own long term as any Japanese based (like Lotus) sports car. Porsches new DFI model may be a big step in the right direction for maintenance but the jury is still out and will be for a good while till they start getting some real miles on them.

So Japanese cars, which the NSX is at the top of the heap (GT-R and LFA not withstanding) for cars that us mere mortals can afford and afford to maintain, are the ones to have for the economically minded enthusiast. Everytime I look at my NSX it just looks so good. It's a classic and will be worth a lot of money one day.

Last edited:
Not entirely true. The ones who sold their NSX for another low-price exotic or low-end used sports car often came back, but the ones who truly upgraded had a much lower chance to do so. We've seen many happy ex-NSX owners with their Gallardo, 430s, 360s, Porsche, R8, and etc. Before jumping to the conclusion, one must understand that the majority of the primers here aren't guys who can afford $200k cars. Most of of them owns earlier production NSXs, which are around $30k to $40k. Some of them even financed. That puts them slide above the average auto buyer range, in buying power. And I can GUARANTEE this: there is not another sports car satisfies better than a NSX in the $30k-40k price range. And THAT is why the majority of them keep coming back. However, once you're in the $120k or even $200k range, your options open up. There are many, many other cars that are as or more enjoyable then the NSX, just with a much bigger price tag that most people here cannot afford.

Excellent point Jas, very well said. That is so true. If I could afford 120k to 200k - you bet I'd most likely be driving an R8 or looking at the NEW - get this another new model Porsche, Carrera GTS with 408 hp and 361 lb.ft. of torque in an NA 911 - ummmmmm how bout that! Or the Club Sport - just so many to choose from and if I didn't get that it would be a Ferrari of some kind. There are so many to choose from out there today in the high dollar exotic or not exotic - who cares about nomenclature when you're up in that 200k range - like you say the world opens up a bit up there in the stratosphere! Ahhhhhh to dream!

Not entirely true. The ones who sold their NSX for another low-price exotic or low-end used sports car often came back, but the ones who truly upgraded had a much lower chance to do so. We've seen many happy ex-NSX owners with their Gallardo, 430s, 360s, Porsche, R8, and etc. Before jumping to the conclusion, one must understand that the majority of the primers here aren't guys who can afford $200k cars. Most of of them owns earlier production NSXs, which are around $30k to $40k. Some of them even financed. That puts them slide above the average auto buyer range, in buying power. And I can GUARANTEE this: there is not another sports car satisfies better than a NSX in the $30k-40k price range. And THAT is why the majority of them keep coming back. However, once you're in the $120k or even $200k range, your options open up. There are many, many other cars that are as or more enjoyable then the NSX, just with a much bigger price tag that most people here cannot afford.

I am torn between a lambo and ferrari...NSX has to be replaced with another mid engine in my mind. Lotus is considered but I have sat in one, too small for my rear end. :redface:

Here it is. really simple.

2004 NSX Sliverstone, bored I can do better... Sold...
2001 Ferrari 456 M-GTA Piece of you know what, SOLD.. Thank God
2004 NSX Silverstone missed it, bought it back, paid $5000 more the second time. Sold again, I need power.
2004 996 Turbo, awesome car, gets boring (best after NSX).
2001 Ferrari 360 Spyder, nice car, gets looks from girls, wait till it breaks, you have to sell a kidney. Sold, I can do better.
1994 Diablo, holy moley, this thing screams, and then it breaks, every time you get in it, and then you find out the clutch is 13K and then you scream... Hey anybody want to buy a Diablo?
1998 NSX Yellow/Onyx - CTSC, YAY I have an NSX again... I will never sell it again, until I need power, money or attention...

Simple, buy an NSX keep it I just saved you a lot of money and time.

Sam

Good reply Sam!!

Jas303 also makes a good point and I am sure there are lots of exotic owners who had NSX's.....that are very happy with the new purchase.

I really admire the engineering in the NSX and anything Honda so I reckon I will always have one and maybe some thing else interesting/fast/ or just brilliant.

Scott

SAM man you have almost owned them all.

nice

outta all your NSX's you have had which one was or is the best

if you had to pick

I am glad I came across your post. I was considering a Ferrari 360 Spyder also...

I dont know... still very tempting... I may just have to find out for myself.
:)

Here it is. really simple.

2004 NSX Sliverstone, bored I can do better... Sold...
2001 Ferrari 456 M-GTA Piece of you know what, SOLD.. Thank God
2004 NSX Silverstone missed it, bought it back, paid $5000 more the second time. Sold again, I need power.
2004 996 Turbo, awesome car, gets boring (best after NSX).
2001 Ferrari 360 Spyder, nice car, gets looks from girls, wait till it breaks, you have to sell a kidney. Sold, I can do better.
1994 Diablo, holy moley, this thing screams, and then it breaks, every time you get in it, and then you find out the clutch is 13K and then you scream... Hey anybody want to buy a Diablo?
1998 NSX Yellow/Onyx - CTSC, YAY I have an NSX again... I will never sell it again, until I need power, money or attention...

Simple, buy an NSX keep it I just saved you a lot of money and time.

Sam

Hey guys,

Here is the reality what makes the NSX blow past all the other cars, you can drive it like a Honda, enjoy it, and afford to fix it.

What makes so many of the other cars unreasonable is the price to maintain and repair.

The 456 needed a gasket around the windows, they can NOT make them line up and they always have wind noise, $1000 cost plus install, pray your transmission does not break, 45K, or smoking valve guides.

996 T great car, no complaints, just nothing exotic, fast and super handling, yes, but gets old fast.

360 Spyder, very sexy car, F-1 tranny, yuck, 6 speed no one wants them, top works on most days that the sun is out, top does not work as soon as it starts to rain, ac is not great in Florida heat. You can get one pretty cheap in todays economy. Overall not a bad car, but not cheap to own.

Lambo Diablo, worse then my first wife, VERY powerful, hard to drive, close pedals, hard seating, poor rear view and blind spots, NOT even close to a daily driver. And the maintenance can even hurt Bill Gates, its really that expensive, parts are not easy to come by and very few people want to work on them.

NSX simple, you drive it, it does not break, if it does, take it to your local mechanic, he can fix it.

Bottom Line, you DRIVE an NSX, the others you look at in your garage.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Sam

I think your poll so far is quite revealing....the Ferrari is next in line. But, having said that, NSX owners max out at the NSX $$ wise for exotic, and for those who it doesn't they are too smart to fall into the Ferrari money pit. The Ferrari gives the top end $$ NSX guys the ability to own what I'd call the car manufacture of all car manufacturers. I wanted a Ferrari, but fell into the category of can't afford the costs after purchase. With 2 girls in college at $160,000 a wife who spends $40,000 a year for fun, contract work that could end anytime, suspect to be working at 70...and not that far away. So exotic car ownership is highly unlikely.

p.s. trade my college girls or wife, no way love 'em to death........

No GTR option?

Oops, I knew I missed something.

I think your poll so far is quite revealing....the Ferrari is next in line. But, having said that, NSX owners max out at the NSX $$ wise for exotic, and for those who it doesn't they are too smart to fall into the Ferrari money pit. The Ferrari gives the top end $$ NSX guys the ability to own what I'd call the car manufacture of all car manufacturers. I wanted a Ferrari, but fell into the category of can't afford the costs after purchase. With 2 girls in college at $160,000 a wife who spends $40,000 a year for fun, contract work that could end anytime, suspect to be working at 70...and not that far away. So exotic car ownership is highly unlikely.

p.s. trade my college girls or wife, no way love 'em to death........

Yes, this is quite revealing for a prospective NSX buyer as well (like me!). Thanks everyone for this *awesome* feedback, and discussion.

I've been eying an NSX for a long time. My main reason for setting up this pole is really to understand the mentality behind NSX ownership, and if I had the monetary means, should I just skip the NSX and go with what the NSX owner would ideally get next anyway? But much of this discussion has taught me a couple of things:

1. NSX owners are loyal. Whether it be for one reason or another on not switching to another marque (maintenance cost, looks, exclusivity, daily drivability, performance, etc.), the data doesn't lie. It looks like if I ever own an NSX, I'll will end up keeping it for a long time.

2. Even for folks that could cough up the money for a Ferrari and Lambo (cough, cough, Sam), there's still something that brings them back to the NSX - that says a LOT.

Last edited:
Hoooooboyeeee. Someone's gonna be flapping his Bat Wings when he sees no FD on that list.:biggrin:

Joe, you are killin me ...:biggrin:..good one. Let him flap - who cares about a bunch of FDs anyway. Buzzzzzzzzzzzz

Everyone is basically saying the same thing here - we all love the NSX for being so damn economical to maintain while giving us great performance and I feel those Batwings fluttering after that statement too! :redface:

We are all economically minded or we wouldn't be here or own an NSX. There is also a mystique about the NSX that drives one to get one and know more about it.

I know one thing - I sure am enjoying my car - it is set for a while but I am beginning to see the added thrill attached to an SC or Turbo. Doubt that, being the economical dude I am, I'll ever get an SC or Turbo. If I wanted one I'd sell and buy one with it in already! We're all lucky and I enjoyed reading NSamX's dissertation on exotic ownership.

It really depends on your means and your priorities. I'm one of the luckiest guys I know. I've had my NSX for almost 8 years and loved every minute of it, got over 55,000 miles and have been fortunate to meet and become friends with some of the most fantastic people on the planet. When my circumstances afforded me the opportunity to make the purchase of a "more exotic" car, I chose to "add" rather than replace. I just can't part with the NSX as of now. I still find it sexy and a joy to drive. The biggest problem I forsee is that it will become more difficult in the future to get replacement parts (body panels in particular) so drive carefully. If you can afford to keep the car, do, that way you won't have to go out and buy another one. There are a lot faster and more expensive cars that turn heads around, if you're looking for the "newest, fastest, most technology, etc" than you're on the wrong forum and looking/driving the wrong car!!!! I could have gotten a "F" or "L" car for less $$$ than my recently purchased Ford, but I got what I wanted, not what I thought would impress others. So I repeat what I've said so many times on so many other threads, get what YOU like, what YOU can afford, and don't give a sh-t what others think, whether it's a Porsche (blasphemy) or a Lotus (or even a Ford), to steal a line from the Caddy ad of recent times............"when you turn your car on, does it return the favor?", if the answer is yes, be happy!!!!

Lotus Man, since you're local why don't you post in the New England section looking to get a feel for the car in person? I'm sure although there are relatively few owners around here that someone will take you up on the offer.

Back