What do most (ex) NSX owners sell their NSXs to get?

What would you buy after your NSX?

• Ferrari

Votes: 44 24.9%
  • Lambo

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Maserati

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Lotus

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Porsche

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • Vette

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Viper

• Aston Martin

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Another NSX

Votes: 71 40.1%
  • Hey, I'm a family guy now -- a van.

• Some BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti to have backseats while filling my need for speed

Votes: 14 7.9%

• Total voters
I bought a Mercedes E63 AMG (which is a wicked fast car), but did not have the heart to sell my beloved NSX....so now I have both. LOL!! I call them 'The Forces Of Good and Evil'. :biggrin:

DSC_0838.jpg

Its usually another NSX as everyone stated or something that just has a lot of power.

A lot of the guys on the forum have F cars, Lambos, GTR, Ford GT in addition to their NSX.

One former NSX owner I spoke to has moved on to an Enzo and F50 now.

Another one still has his 96 red tan NSX with 12000 miles with his 430 Scuderia, F40 and Porsche. They all get the same attention to detail and care.

Wheres Tino? I am waiting for him to chime in on owning F cars and Lambos for the last 20-30 years......hehe

Anil should also chime in since he's owned every car out there basically and happy with the jeep.

Last edited:
Eddie,
Thanks for your confidence but I claim the 5th. I am so biased since I threw my last Italian "bitch" out of my garage that my opinion would be grossly tainted. Maybe over a beer some day...

Here it is. really simple.

2004 NSX Sliverstone, bored I can do better... Sold...
2001 Ferrari 456 M-GTA Piece of you know what, SOLD.. Thank God
2004 NSX Silverstone missed it, bought it back, paid $5000 more the second time. Sold again, I need power.
2004 996 Turbo, awesome car, gets boring (best after NSX).
2001 Ferrari 360 Spyder, nice car, gets looks from girls, wait till it breaks, you have to sell a kidney. Sold, I can do better.
1994 Diablo, holy moley, this thing screams, and then it breaks, every time you get in it, and then you find out the clutch is 13K and then you scream... Hey anybody want to buy a Diablo?
1998 NSX Yellow/Onyx - CTSC, YAY I have an NSX again... I will never sell it again, until I need power, money or attention...

Simple, buy an NSX keep it I just saved you a lot of money and time.

Sam

Everytime I get the bug to upgrade cars, I come back to your post. Thank you. :redface:

Yep! I've done it...... TWICE!
1st NSX sold to get an Esprit V8 then came back home to 2nd NSX 1.5 years
later then kept it for 3 years and strayed again to a Vette then M5 and this
past February came back for #3 NSX ...... I've learned my lesson too many
times and it always seems to take much longer / years to find another NSX.
I'm quite confident that I will at least keep 1 NSX in my garage forever!

Only one reason I'd Possibly sell my current 02 Spa Yellow ..... If an 02-05
Imola Orange presented itself:wink:

Yep! I've done it...... TWICE!
1st NSX sold to get an Esprit V8 then came back home to 2nd NSX 1.5 years
later then kept it for 3 years and strayed again to a Vette then M5 and this
past February came back for #3 NSX ...... I've learned my lesson too many
times and it always seems to take much longer / years to find another NSX.
I'm quite confident that I will at least keep 1 NSX in my garage forever!

Only one reason I'd Possibly sell my current 02 Spa Yellow ..... If an 02-05
Imola Orange presented itself:wink:

What didn't you like about the Esprit V8 TT?

1994 Diablo, holy moley, this thing screams, and then it breaks, every time you get in it, and then you find out the clutch is 13K and then you scream... Hey anybody want to buy a Diablo?

LOL, depends on the price... ;)

Ferraris and lambos are babied, hardly driven, garaged, maintained... And when you hear someone still complain in breaks everytime you get in it, that really says something. I've spent a lot of money on the NSX, but at least it's been on mods not repairs.

What didn't you like about the Esprit V8 TT?

Of course I loved the handling, it just had too many electrical gremlins
especially with the wiring. It had a tendancy to spend more time at the
shop than in my garage .... not being sarcastic either. Fun car none the
less when I got to drive her without lights coming on or when the ignition
would work. It left me stranded a few times until I could get it towed to
the Lotus Dealer for repair. Some say that I just got the lemon out of the
bunch!:frown:

Of course I loved the handling, it just had too many electrical gremlins
especially with the wiring. It had a tendancy to spend more time at the
shop than in my garage .... not being sarcastic either. Fun car none the
less when I got to drive her without lights coming on or when the ignition
would work. It left me stranded a few times until I could get it towed to
the Lotus Dealer for repair. Some say that I just got the lemon out of the
bunch!:frown:

Wow, I was going to either have a 25th Anni or the NSX when I was looking. I drove a red 04 Anniversary one and it was sweet. Renault Tranny is weak, I was told not to shift hard.

Well...I have owned my NSX new from day one.Now completely rebuilt and SC. I also have R8 V10. The NSX
can handle luggage and golf clubs. Guess what my daily drive is....LOL

In spite what people may believe, the NSX is still a great machine....period.

Ferraris and lambos are babied, hardly driven, garaged, maintained... And when you hear someone still complain in breaks everytime you get in it, that really says something.

I would contend that the first three points often leads to a lack of the 4th which results in that next part. What I'm saying is, while the cars may have some issues, the demographic that typical owns them often exacerbates the issues.

I grew up in a house with a 1986 Testarossa....and an engineer. It's been "in the shop" once for the timing belt maintenance in 1999, and once more recently for a new steering rack. Beyond that, there have been a handful of things that have gone wrong, but nothing that a little clever part-number spelunking couldn't fix at WAY less than dealer cost. This is a car that's been tracked a few times, driven regularly, and maintained thoroughly.....e.g. He's on like his 3rd log-book now, having filled 2 already.

The problem is that this is highly atypical. With the F-car and L-car crowd, the majority (not all for sure, but many) have purchased the car as a status symbol, and it's more of an accessory or trophy. These folks don't change their own oil, nevermind maintain the cars on their own.

As most of you are aware, regular maintenance has a time interval as well as a mileage interval. These folks might not put 1000 miles on a car in a year, so they let maintenance go for 5 years, then decide to take a road trip with dry-rotted hoses, gummed um fuel lines, etc. Problems happen, they complain on the internet, blah blah.

So, yes, the Italians are going to be more expensive than an NSX to maintain, probably significantly so (see $13k Diablo Clutch in earlier post...a normal wear item). I'm just saying everything with a grain of salt. If you do it right, most cars will at least put up with you.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't trade my NSX straight-up for a 348 or Jalpa (well, not if I couldn't immediately sell them). :biggrin:

Wow, I was going to either have a 25th Anni or the NSX when I was looking. I drove a red 04 Anniversary one and it was sweet. Renault Tranny is weak, I was told not to shift hard.

A buddy of mine just bought (basically stole) an Esprit V8TT, and I know a few other long-time Lotus enthusiasts. He's had to fix a few switches, they desperately need a bigger radiator, and there's a $4000 aftermarket "Fix" for that transmission. If you do that much, and have some skill with a soldering iron, they can be pretty solid cars.

Having driven his, it's very comfortable, very nimble, and has plenty of power...if not for the british-ness, it would be a tempting prospect.

I will be adding a Mercedes Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series to the driveway. That's right, the NSX maintains its garage spot, the E63 AMG is the car the wife drives, so it stays inside, and the Black Series will have driveway duty. Gotta show the NSX the proper respect. It has earned its spot. :)

Excellent point Jas, very well said. That is so true. If I could afford 120k to 200k - you bet I'd most likely be driving an R8 or looking at the NEW - get this another new model Porsche, Carrera GTS with 408 hp and 361 lb.ft. of torque in an NA 911 - ummmmmm how bout that! Or the Club Sport - just so many to choose from and if I didn't get that it would be a Ferrari of some kind. There are so many to choose from out there today in the high dollar exotic or not exotic - who cares about nomenclature when you're up in that 200k range - like you say the world opens up a bit up there in the stratosphere! Ahhhhhh to dream!

Take your favorite NSX and turbo it or build it and turbo it. Have the best of all worlds for 40K or right at 50K depending on the power that you want to make. And you retain the NSX's (see, I couldn't even type X...) timeless styling, ergonomics and handling.

The best guys to speak to this are Jorligan, Psiserg and other guys with big power NSX's and "next level" cars simultaneously. Seriously, why would an NSX owner want to move to another car? Generally, power for the most part would be my educated guess. If these NA owners drove a turbo NSX it would be an epiphany and they would find it hard to leave the fold after driving a 500hp NSX.

Wow, I subscribed to this thread a year ago without ever a thought in my mind of selling. Fast forward to last Sunday and I'm officially an ex-NSXer with a new car.

Sold my NSX (heavily modded), sold my GTR (mildly modded) for a stock, mildly modded S2000CR.

I considered all the typical "step up to next level" exotics: Lambo, Ferrari (research into maintenance scared me), Porsche (very common around these parts), then track focused cars like the Exige/Elise and finally decided for my current situation and for the future (I'd like to get back into another high-end car with a dedicated track car on the side) to go with the simple, reliable, hardcore CR :)

I will slowly take my time to consider a true NSX replacement. Right now the top of the list is...a new NSX (oh gawd I can't believe I might fall into that statistic or recurrent NSX owner) which should come within the next 12 months. I plan to enjoy the S2000 to the fullest (already am) and eventually use it exclusively for track duty. For now though, keeping just one toy is fine. The extra cash is being put into home renos --happy wife, happy life. :biggrin:
3668_10151114714946224_1115828027_n.jpg

Back