what did you drive in high school

1970 Lotus Cortina MkII that my father rear-ended someone with in 1974 and never fixed back up. It had one working headlight that pointed 15 feet in front of the car, and that POS died regularly. Died on my prom night (1979) and my brother had to come by and give me a jump (he drove it home and I got to use the family 1972 Ford Country Squire stationwagon w/ fake wood panel!) Saw the "sun rise" the following morning:wink: Thinking about getting a restored one just for kicks.

Regards,

Danny

This came up in another thread, so....

this is what I drove in high school. Along with quiet a few other vintage race cars (Lola T70, Lola T222, Lola T92, Huffaker BMC Genie, Penske PC7/Cosworth, March/Ilmor-Chevy, Porsche 935, Porsche 962, 68 AMC AMX and a few others).

My DD to high school was a '74 911S. Wish I still had it as I would convert it to a 74 RS want a be.

Penske_PC7_2.jpg

The car's original paint scheme. I was sitting at dinner at the rib place by Mid Ohio and this pic was on the wall at my booth. Did a double take and thought, "hey, I've driven that car..." How cool is that?

Penske_PC7.jpg

Last edited:
I drove a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass 2 door. Metallic Brown with a white vinyl roof and seats. It had A/C and an AM radio with the optional dealer installed rear speaker. :cool: Good times!

Oh god I can't believe I'm saying this. . . .85 Camaro IROC-Z. I bought it from my father who had modified the heck out of it, and it only took six months for my mother to make me sell it. I nearly killed myself several times in that thing. NEVER give a 16-year old a car with 360HP - I thought I was Bo Duke. Seemed like it broke every time I hit the gas though. Subsequently the last domestic car I ever owned. 10 Hondas/Acuras, 2 Lexus, 2 Toyotas, 1 Bimmer, 1 Lotus, and 1 Porsche since then. Not going domestic anytime soon.

76 VW Scirocco w/ cams, dual solex 40 carbs, suspension, full body kit, and complete Alpine audio system thumping 2 10" subs. They say "we grow out of it" but has yet to happen. :biggrin:

Jeff

76 VW Scirocco w/ cams, dual solex 40 carbs, suspension, full body kit, and complete Alpine audio system thumping 2 10" subs. They say "we grow out of it" but has yet to happen. :biggrin:

Jeff

Solex carbs ? I haven't heard of those in a while. :wink: What kit did you have ? Kamei, Zenon or what ? I always wanted a Scirocco but I learned my lesson about H2o VWs early.:wink:

This will tag me as an old fart, but I bought my first car when I turned 16 in 1954. I paid for it with the earning from three summers working on vegetable farms (75 cents an hour, 10 hours a day, 6 days a week). It was a '41 Plymouth, lowered with shaved hood and trunk and moon hubcaps. Sweet! Most of the guys who could afford cars drove pre-war models. There were no rich kids in our school so we all thought our rides looked good with the simple mods we could afford.

I remember having Autobahn mesh on them with massive lip. I bet almost no one here remembers those wheels. haha.

I remember those wheels. I thought they were called Autobahn West, not sure. Brings me back to the early 80's Corolla's, Celica's and even the 280zx turbo T top. I had a set Epsilons with reverse flat lip, diamond cut face. Actually I still have them...

Last edited:
1967 Porsche 911. That year came with heater boxes OR a radio. The original owner decided that a radio would be the way to go. The AM radio didn't work....It certainly was a COLD commute in the winter with that car up in Boston.

Okay, I gotta post a story an Air Force buddy told me.

His parents bought him a 1970 Cutlass for his 16th birthday. He said he totaled it the first night he had his driver's license, racing his brother (in a Celica) across Orlando. He rearended someone at a red light. His dad made him ride the bus for about six months, then bought him a 1963 Rambler, three-on-the tree. He drove that the rest of high school.:biggrin:

He was also involved in a car crash on his wedding day, and he and the Mrs. spent their wedding night in the hospital.

Three years ago I bought a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. I still have it and love it, but would like that NSX soon. :)
I bought my Taco in late 04 when Tomoco was offering clearance financing on them. One of the best vehicles i've ever owned. I love it too!

I remember those wheels. I thought they were called Autobahn West, not sure. Brings me back to the early 80's Corolla's, Celica's and even the 280zx turbo T top. I had a set Epsilons with reverse flat lip, diamond cut face. Actually I still have them...
Oh man... Epsilons.. that really brings me back. A buddy of mine had those on his 1st Gen RX-7 GSL-SE even though the offsets where all wrong. I remember Panasports too.

I just bought a 1990 Prelude Si a few weeks ago my coworker was selling. Fully loaded, one owner, low low low miles... seemed like it was in a time capsule. Completely impulse buy! I told myself way back then, "i'll be able to afford one of these someday". She still had the hair scrunchy on the shifter. That was so 90's... hilarious!

Last edited:
freshman/sophomore years.. rode the bus. Junior year my friend got a new mazda 929 which we drove. late in my senior year my dad got me a 1975 toyota landcruiser (this was in 1991).

www.flipdrive.com/maskedmilkman has my car photos

the pics here don't do the ride justice... i've since high school had it restored.. so it looks much nicer here than 18 years ago! yeah.. i still drive my high school ride...

Attachments

• landcruiser3.jpg
    landcruiser3.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 20
  • landcruiser1.jpg
    landcruiser1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 26
  • landcruiser2.jpg
    landcruiser2.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Drove a 91 Toyota Tercel. Red with black vinyl interior and steelies and no A/C. Fun car except when I moved to Tulsa (no A/C is a major problem in Tulsa summers).

I just bought a 1990 Prelude Si a few weeks ago my coworker was selling. Fully loaded, one owner, low low low miles... seemed like it was in a time capsule. Completely impulse buy! I told myself way back then, "i'll be able to afford one of these someday". She still had the hair scrunchy on the shifter. That was so 90's... hilarious!

Looks like you need to update your signature of rides and add the Prelude.:biggrin:

1969 Pontiac GTO white w black vynal top. 400 cui w. turbo 400 automatic. airshocks, glass pacs, G70x14 and G60x14 tires......Cassette and 8 track....Audiovox 6x9 and 6.5 coaxiles in the doors......ram air hood...bought it for 600.00 sold for 1600.00 when gas hit 1.00 a gallon and premium leaded disappeared.:rolleyes:

1981 Honda Civic 1300
1986 Honda CRX Si
1986 Honda Prelude Si
1987 Mazda 626 GT coupe
1989 Honda CRX Si (rolled on 9W in NY)
1987 Toyota Celica GTS coupe
1990 Honda CRX Si ....... Bought it new and still own, it's in my sig and avatar.

What an era for me. Having comes from a domestic household, I actually did a lot of research and bought a low-mile green AWD Subaru SVX for my first car which was actually a great starter car for me.

I later got involved with Manheim, then was in-out of a whole bunch of cars- I had a Dodge Stealth twin turbo, a Civic Del Sol, etc...

Noteworthy- I finally got my dream car- a 94' yellow/ivory 3000GT VR4 coupe for my senior year. I just wanted it because it was in the Dance Mix USA commercials. Yeah, I felt totally pimp pulling into the school parking lot with the bright piss yellow, chrome wheels, twin turbo, active aero, 4WS. Heh. Quickly followed by a BMW M3 just after graduation.

If I have time I'll have to dig up some pictures and see if I can scan them.

My 1 and only...I got it completely stock my junior year, im now a freshman in college and about to put it up for sale to pick up an NA1. But its been a fun car(1 of the loudest cars ive heard)

Attachments

• Mustang HDR front.jpg
    Mustang HDR front.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Mustang HDR rear.jpg
    Mustang HDR rear.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I drove a 1970 Buick GSX. Own a GNX now and wish I still had the GSX also. There wasn't anything at my school that could edge it at the time (1986). Like the 87 Buick, it got going really fast really quick - but couldn't stop to save your life... Grandpa's car with Rolls Royce engine, gearing, and Mickey Mouse brakes.

Last edited:
A 260Z. Idiot friend of mine flopped his fat as over the hood at a party and dented it nicely. I ended up denting his face.

Fun car, it actually survived my ownership.

Back