• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

VSS Pulses per revolution

I'm trying to calibrate my MXL display I'm using the VSS signal to display speed on the MXL, I spent over an hour figuring the correct amount of pulse per revolution with the diameter of the tire but still showing less speed than what I'm running.

Well, my question is if anyone can tell me the exact pulses per revolution for the VSS?

I guess no body knows the answer but here is what I found out in my own research:
VSS sends 4000 pulses per mile but NSX speedometer "understands" this only if you are using the OEM size wheels if you have a different size wheels it will a small discrepancy on the reading.

AIM MSL display needs to know the the circumference of the wheel and the quantity of pulses per revolution, anyway I made some math calculations and I have 4.8 pulses per revolutions with the new tire size.

Recently I raised my car and used and LED 5v to count the signal at the display, my son helped me turning the front wheel and counting each revolution, and at the same time I counted the pulses with the testing LED and what I end up getting after several testings is 5 pulses per revolution.

Hope this helps anyone installing an aftermarket display.

Last edited:
I think it's 4

I've got the Calibration on my Motec but my Laptop died yesterday so I can't check.

Wheel speed sensors are different front to rear & the Transmission Speed sensor is different again.

Last edited:
I think it's 4

I've got the Calibration on my Motec but my Laptop died yesterday so I can't check.

Wheel speed sensors are different front to rear & the Transmission Speed sensor is different again.

I used this 4 pulses parameter before but it was showing kinda off readings, where did you got 4 pulses info?

When I physically tested the signal from the VSS it was 5 you can actually see in what part of the wheel circumference each signal pulsed.

Back