Vibram Five Finger shoes

Cause you will look like a complete tool.

oh

I wear mine to the gym and when I go running

they are awesome, especially for running

I couldn't care less what people think

I have the KSOs

kso_black.png

Last edited:
oh

I wear mine to the gym and when I go running

they are awesome, especially for running

I couldn't care less what people think

I have the KSOs

kso_black.png

Exactly. The gym is to get in shape to whatever personal goals you may have. Form always follows function there.....

Exactly. The gym is to get in shape to whatever personal goals you may have. Form always follows function there.....
Tell that to the fat dude wearing speedos at the gym... or the way skinny bony guy wearing muscle t-shirt, or the guy with a huge gut wearing compression shirt to work out. :biggrin:

I may not care what other people think either, but I also don't want to look a like a fool when I'm working out either.

Most people who work out are trying to improve their body image, so if they say they don't care what other people think, that is like a girl putting on makeup saying she doesn't care how other people see her, very ironic.

To each his own, but these shoes, just...don't look right, at all, to me.

Last edited:
I was at the gym yesterday lifting weights when something catches my eye. I look over and the guy next to me is sporting a pair of these things. I would STRONGLY recommend never puting these things on your feet.

After working out, he changed into these...

Attachments

• shoe.jpg
    shoe.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 128
elaborate....

he was wearing them in water and climbing trees, ripped at the great toe. He's paying for the new ones. Agree w/ the "complete tool" remark about guys wearing them at the gym...

a few weeks back I saw a pair of Vibrams in the shoe shelves at my Jiu Jitsu school, and it turns out they belong to a guy I know. I asked him about them and he was saying that these can't be beat as a multipurpose shoe- he runs in them. I have been interested in them for kayaking and what not, so I went to REI to try them on- I went to the Flagship store in Denver, but no luck. All they had was a sizing tool, and the willingness to back order if I wanted. The associate told me he loses about 20 sales a week due to the lack of stock, but the manufacturer is behind in production so backorder is the only option. I used the sizing tool to get an idea of fit (VERY important with shoes that are fitted to your toes) and then went home to do some more searching since I really wanted to try a pair on before spending $90. No luck. No one has these things in stock in my size (41), but I did find that you could order limited color selections direct from the manufacturer.

After a week of hunting I finally ordered the KSO's online on Friday. They should be here Wednesday or Thursday. I'm looking forward to trying these out on our White Water trip this weekend.

I agree they look funny, and I probably won't be wearing them out in public too much, but my curiosity got the better of me, so we'll see how they go.

Phil

Can I get them flesh colored with hair on the top?
'Cause, yknow, if I'm gonna look like a hobbit, might as well go all the way ....

a few weeks back I saw a pair of Vibrams in the shoe shelves at my Jiu Jitsu school, and it turns out they belong to a guy I know. I asked him about them and he was saying that these can't be beat as a multipurpose shoe- he runs in them. I have been interested in them for kayaking and what not, so I went to REI to try them on- I went to the Flagship store in Denver, but no luck. All they had was a sizing tool, and the willingness to back order if I wanted. The associate told me he loses about 20 sales a week due to the lack of stock, but the manufacturer is behind in production so backorder is the only option. I used the sizing tool to get an idea of fit (VERY important with shoes that are fitted to your toes) and then went home to do some more searching since I really wanted to try a pair on before spending $90. No luck. No one has these things in stock in my size (41), but I did find that you could order limited color selections direct from the manufacturer.

After a week of hunting I finally ordered the KSO's online on Friday. They should be here Wednesday or Thursday. I'm looking forward to trying these out on our White Water trip this weekend.

I agree they look funny, and I probably won't be wearing them out in public too much, but my curiosity got the better of me, so we'll see how they go.

Phil
congrats you're going to love them, just take it slow starting out if you decide to start running in them

I don't think anyone foresaw these shoes taking off the way they have, vibram has been having a hard time keeping up with demand

after a year and probably close to 600 miles my KSOs are starting to show their age, but they have held up amazingly well :smile:

there is a new style geared more towards running coming out in august called the bikila, I preordered mine back in april just make sure I could get them lol

633571113117429408-Gaycalleditsforyou.jpg

I'm kidding... I'd try a set. But they do look super gay...

Last edited:
You know, say they developed a swim skull cap that was aerodynamically superior to anything else on the market. In fact, it was able to shave seconds off any lap time just by wearing it. So functionally it's the greatest thing in the world. And, it's incredibly comfortable. It's like you aren't wearing anything on your head at all. The only catch, it looks just like the head of a penis. Would you wear it? :confused:

The point is, I don't care if something is the most comfortable or functional thing in the world. But you have to draw the line somewhere on aesthetics and dignity over pure function and comfort sometimes.

among runners there is a strong contingent of barefoot practitioners.It is these folks that initialy drove this market.Kinda like levels of vegetarians there are naked foot runners and then there are the vibram runners.

You know, say they developed a swim skull cap that was aerodynamically superior to anything else on the market. In fact, it was able to shave seconds off any lap time just by wearing it. So functionally it's the greatest thing in the world. And, it's incredibly comfortable. It's like you aren't wearing anything on your head at all. The only catch, it looks just like the head of a penis. Would you wear it? :confused:

The point is, I don't care if something is the most comfortable or functional thing in the world. But you have to draw the line somewhere on aesthetics and dignity over pure function and comfort sometimes.

I can see your point about the dick-head hat, fortunately I'm not really a swimmer, so no conflict for me there.

My counterpoint would be that sporting equipment doesn't neccessarily "look" cool. My Giro Havoc Mtn. Biking helmet for example- I'm not wearing that thing off the trail, I'd look like a moron- but on the trail it is a valuable piece of safety gear. Does it look stupid? Sure, but will it protect my mellon if I crash? Yes.

I look at these shoes through the same eyes- Will I wear them to run? Yes. Will I wear them on the river? Yes. Will I wear them to work? No. To the club? No. They benefit me on the run, and on the river, but at work or the club they just aren't appropriate.

I don't wear my driving shoes to the club either- those are for driving, same for my cycling shoes- those are for cycling, and as bad a dancer as I already am, the SPD cleats would definitly not improve my situation...

So it is with the Vibrams- these are for running, the river, and MAYBE for boating if I ever get back out on the water- they arent a fashion statement IMO- just functional.

HOWEVER: There was a time when I'd have told you I would NEVER wear flip flops as I aquainted them as female footware- but now I wear them on a regular basis. I also remember when I was 17, and I came home from a sailing trip with my first pair of Teva sandles- They were widely mocked, but now people wear them all the time.

Form adopted from function I suppose...

P

I can see your point about the dick-head hat, fortunately I'm not really a swimmer, so no conflict for me there.

My counterpoint would be that sporting equipment doesn't neccessarily "look" cool. My Giro Havoc Mtn. Biking helmet for example- I'm not wearing that thing off the trail, I'd look like a moron- but on the trail it is a valuable piece of safety gear. Does it look stupid? Sure, but will it protect my mellon if I crash? Yes.

I look at these shoes through the same eyes- Will I wear them to run? Yes. Will I wear them on the river? Yes. Will I wear them to work? No. To the club? No. They benefit me on the run, and on the river, but at work or the club they just aren't appropriate.

I don't wear my driving shoes to the club either- those are for driving, same for my cycling shoes- those are for cycling, and as bad a dancer as I already am, the SPD cleats would definitly not improve my situation...

So it is with the Vibrams- these are for running, the river, and MAYBE for boating if I ever get back out on the water- they arent a fashion statement IMO- just functional.

HOWEVER: There was a time when I'd have told you I would NEVER wear flip flops as I aquainted them as female footware- but now I wear them on a regular basis. I also remember when I was 17, and I came home from a sailing trip with my first pair of Teva sandles- They were widely mocked, but now people wear them all the time.

P

Amen.

And I dare someone to wear them at this NSXPO

I dare someone to wear them at this NSXPO

What's the payout? I am scheduled to be at SEMA, but not commited to NSXPO yet since there hasn't been a final decision on bringing the NSX up from TX. I'd bring the gorilla feet along for laughs and a beer or two at poolside.

P

P

Hehe "dick-head hat". I know some people I work with I'd have to give one to.

Good counter-point. Allow me to counter your counter.

The main difference I can think of is that the other objects you mention are already the accepted norm. Meaning, you have to wear a helmet and you need to wear cycling cleats. Just like we have to wear seat belts. However, you have alternatives to funky shoes. There are lots of other shoes out there that I would consider equal to or even superior to usability or comfort and are more aesthetically pleasing or more accepted.

I liken them to something like a fanny pack. Is it functional? Absolutely. So why not wear a fanny pack or a man purse if form follows function? It's because you have an alternative to having to wear a fanny pack. It may not be as functional but I'd rather put up with the hassle than wear one. I'm sure the same arguments can be made about the comfort and function of a fanny pack as these Vibram shoes, but like I said above, somewhere you need to draw the line on aesthetics and dignity over function and comfort.

And for the record, I still make fun of and mock people who wear Tevas and fanny packs.

Back