Vibram Five Finger shoes

I can't believe I missed this thread. Had been debating whether to try them out for years since a former coworker (who runs ultras) started wearing them.

Finally started running in mine after my last marathon (February) and have been taking it REAL slow so as not to mess my feet / legs up. Started with 1 mile...and worked up to 6. Not sure I'd run a half or full in them...they definitely work my calves a lot more (in fact, my calves ached for days after my 6 miler). I really like running uphill in them because they are so light, but I far prefer running downhill in my Asics Kayanos.

I still haven't had a chance to run in them on the trails. The one time I started to do so, the trail was so muddy that me feet were sinking into it (and I didn't like the fact I could feel the moisture on top of my feet)...I aborted it after only a mile. That said, I did like the extra grip from having independently moving digits.

1161490428_HGatp-L.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone try these?

I'm looking for something for camping, rafting and some light hiking.

An all in one. It needs to be able to drain the water and dry fairly fast.

Just glad you have a real reason to need these. (camping/rafting/water resistant).

I cannot stand people buying into the fad thinking that this is going to make your feet/legs stronger (well, maybe stronger in the short term). The whole point of shoes and cushioning is to do that. Although you may develop more muscles using these, you are hurting the bones in your feet and your joints.

Man was not made to walk barefoot long distances no matter their marketing logic. That's why we developed shoes. It's like saying man was built to hammer with his fists and not hammers.

Back