V6 360 horsepower? Insider information?

That was fun to watch. I figured the NSX was going to get murdered but I'm glad they were so complimentary of it. You know it's a shame they don't every compare an NSX with an aftermarket exhaust, newer wheels and a few little upgrades as most of us drive it today. They always go with the oldest looking version with the little wheels and quiet stock exhaust with the STARTREK looking tips on them.

I think the bottom line is you can buy an NA1 X for $22,000 and up depending on mileage and condition. Over time you put some money into upgrades, you can have a STILL very modern looking car, that is LIGHTER, HANDLES BETTER and has close to 500hp for less than $40,000. If I was going to pay $100,000 for a car today I sure as hell wouldn't buy the newest incarnation of the NSX. I'm an NSX lover but I'm not the Honda fan boy I used to be. I tried. I stuck it out for a while watching all of the other manufacturers make 500hp halo cars waiting... drooling... hoping for a new NSX. And then when I heard it was going to be another V6 with electric motors on the front wheels... I think they popped my Honda balloon. It's going to be heavier, It won't have a real manual shift, it's gonna be built on an assembly line in Ohio. If you have $100,000 to drop on a new car there are just much BETTER options out there now. I feel honored to own an NSX. I think it's amazing how well it stands up TWENTY years after it was released. What car does that? I'm very interested to see the new NSX shown on Top Gear and have Head to Head comparisons vs. the newest from Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette, the GTR. I hope it does well but I have my doubts.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet. McLaren came out with the new NSX exactly how we want it to be minus a manual transmission 2 years ago.
IMG_7335.jpg

LOL... yup... Even has modern NSX taillights!

No they didn't. Build quality on that thing is awful! I know it has the performance so many of you want but NSX has always been more than that. I highly doubt that thing will make 100k let alone the 100k+ NSX's are known for.

No they didn't. Build quality on that thing is awful! I know it has the performance so many of you want but NSX has always been more than that. I highly doubt that thing will make 100k let alone the 100k+ NSX's are known for.

Build Quality on the Mclaren is awful? Really? After watching an hour long special on how it is put together, I can't see how it could possibly be awful. Maybe Ritesh can chime in with his experience.

Last edited:
Build Quality on the Mclaren is awful? Really? After watching an hour long special on how it is put together, I can't see how it could possibly be awful. Maybe Ritesh can chime in with his experience.

+1, I was very impressed after watching the video. However, every hand built cat has human error which some would call character.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet. McLaren came out with the new NSX exactly how we want it to be minus a manual transmission 2 years ago.

And the price. Those are over 200k, over 2x what you'd expect to pay for a dealer-new new NSX.

(Do we have a name for it yet? NSX 2.0? NA3?)

I doubt the built quality on the McLaren is less than Ferrari, but I am curious is the cost of engine replacement after warrantee. I can't imagine McLaren mastered in-house engine building in such a short period of time.

I was just in one in January. If the driver side door was open then the passenger didn't want to shut. The emblem on the nose looked like a Nike knock off. Paint had waves in it. I was like "this is $200k??". People that were with me felt the same.

There was a press gathering a day before the NAIAS and in a large room they had pretty much everything but the Bugatti.

Only thing worse than the McLaren was the Ferrari FF. That thing had uneven body panel gaps visible to the naked eye. Paint had a lot of orange peel in it. Nobody was able to get the doors to shut completely. They had a 458 and although not all the panels were perfect it was still better the Mclaren.

The LFA by far had the best build quality but the rear "cheese grater" on a almost $400k car was laughable.

The Lambos were built well and had a good sound to the doors when you closed them. Yes they closed w/o problem.

+1, I was very impressed after watching the video. However, every hand built cat has human error which some would call character.

So does this mean then that the NSX has no character:confused:

If it helps they are using a Mclaren as a target model.

I doubt the built quality on the McLaren is less than Ferrari, but I am curious is the cost of engine replacement after warrantee. I can't imagine McLaren mastered in-house engine building in such a short period of time.

LOL Not the Ferrari FF but the 458 seemed/felt much better build quality than the Mclaren.

Vance you talked about battery concerns but to date less than 200 battery failures have been reported on the over 100k of hybrids sold by Honda. They've been building Insights since 1999.

Attachments

• Mclaren.jpg
    Mclaren.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 46
I saw 2 McLarens on display in Sarasota last winter. Optioned out the price was damn close to 280k. There have been rumbling that the MP-4 12C has some type of handling flaw. I think one was wrecked at Nurburgring.

Attachments

• McLaren-MP4-12C-Wrecked-by-Fire-in-Germany.jpg
    McLaren-MP4-12C-Wrecked-by-Fire-in-Germany.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 91
I saw 2 McLarens on display in Sarasota last winter. Optioned out the price was damn close to 280k. There have been rumbling that the MP-4 12C has some type of handling flaw. I think one was wrecked at Nurburgring.

Wasn't that a test vehicle? Or was it the LF/A I was think of.

If it really is 360hp the new NSX will be the same to the naysayers as the last one----> underpowered and overpriced!

Zaid

If it really is 360hp the new NSX will be the same to the naysayers as the last one----> underpowered and overpriced!

Zaid

That is what I'm afraid of! Maybe in another 20 years I will buy a used one that is once again is misunderstood and that has a very small and dedicated following

Zaid
Let's face it. NSX was indeed, underpowered.
Considering its size and weight, it was underpowered.
Even Gordon Murray said it was underpowered.

The horsepower figure itself wasn't the problem. As long as NSX was lighter.
But for its size and weight...that's why people were complaining.
Here are examples of less poweful than NSX cars but nobody is complaining they're underpowered.

BAC Mono
Lotus Exige
Arial Atom
Caterham Super Seven
KTM XBOW

etc...

Let's face it. NSX was indeed, underpowered.
Considering its size and weight, it was underpowered.
Even Gordon Murray said it was underpowered.

The horsepower figure itself wasn't the problem. As long as NSX was lighter.
But for its size and weight...that's why people were complaining.
Here are examples of less poweful than NSX cars but nobody is complaining they're underpowered.

BAC Mono
Lotus Exige
Arial Atom
Caterham Super Seven
KTM XBOW

etc...

I wouldn't say it was underpowered in 1990. It was in 97 and it was way underpowered in 2005. It's still a shame they didn't bump the power to a 3.5 l 350hp for 2002 and updated the radio. It would have been really sweet and a great end to the car.

I had a ride on the Suzuka track in a 2005 NSX-R and it didn't feel underpowered to me at all. Even with my fat self weighing it down, it was very seriously fast and capable. It was no joke.
It's really too bad that car didn't pass U.S. standards and get here.

Zaid

And yet there is a poster on Temple of Vtec who seems to have insider information that the next NSX will have 400+ hp from the engine, and up to 200hp from the combined output of the 3 electric motors! Now I understand that combining the power ratings from the ICE unit and the electric motors isn't as straight forward as simply adding the numbers, but combined they add up to a reasonably healthy number - especially when you factor it in with the weight they are targeting of 3200lb [again from this poster].

The poster is a recently retired ex-employee of Honda's, with I think a marketing background rather than an engineering background. Take it for what you will.

And yet there is a poster on Temple of Vtec who seems to have insider information that the next NSX will have 400+ hp from the engine, and up to 200hp from the combined output of the 3 electric motors! Now I understand that combining the power ratings from the ICE unit and the electric motors isn't as straight forward as simply adding the numbers, but combined they add up to a reasonably healthy number - especially when you factor it in with the weight they are targeting of 3200lb [again from this poster].

The poster is a recently retired ex-employee of Honda's, with I think a marketing background rather than an engineering background. Take it for what you will.

Hmm Honda has said the target weight is less than 3000lbs. Those hp numbers do more to coincide with the cars they're targeting but I guess we still have a few months to find out for certain.

Are you sure that is a Honda quote? Or just inference from the web??

My target weight is 248 at 3% body fat. LOL...

You know the other day I pulled off the NSX door panels to replace the speakers and saw the door beam guards... It was disconcerting...

A hybrid car with batteries and 3 E motors that meets 2015 safety standards with a fair amount of luxury.... at 3000 stout pounds... is rather ambitious to say the least.

when and where did they say this?

LOL really Dave really?? I'm so not finding it for you. You were in the thread where we discussed it. Another Primer supplied the article link. Only help I'll give you is the article says Honda wants it to be "sub 3000lbs". You're in the thread b'tching about how they can't do it due to the batteries.

Back