V6 360 horsepower? Insider information?

We hired a new guy at my work who used to work at a company that did engineering consulting for Honda. He said that his company worked on the next-gen NSX, and that is will only have 360 horsepower out of a 3.5 liter.

He did confirm that it will have a hybrid powertrain for the front, but that they will also be making another version that does not. This just came up in the news recently and is pretty well known.

Anyway, 360hp out of a 3.5 liter mounted transversely is essentially the same design philosophy as the original car. Thing is, it can't be as light as the NA1 car was back in 1991 - it will have to have many airbags, better crumple zones, more technology in it, more computers, and this will all weigh more. Not to mention I'd be surprised if they got the packaging as well as they did before, so the car will likely be taller than the original.

Don't get me wrong, 360 horsepower is definitely more than my lightly modded NA1 car, but in this day and age it will have to have more power than that if it wants to compete with cars around 100 grand.

Has the 360 horsepower number come up anywhere else?

I don't even think Honda really knows. How would this guy? That may have been what originally was acheived, but that doesn't mean it's the final design and Honda can't push for more. If it's 360, the car needs to be very light.

well if its 360hp from the V6 engine, and Honda claims 100 from the hybrid motors up front that is around 460HP

SOHC or DOHC? Honda need to consult an engineering firm for engine design?

Obviously they consulted on something different like packaging the airbags or something, which automakers do all the time with companies like Autoliv. Even tier 1 suppliers get to learn quite a bit about new cars, and in he US where the new NSX will be built Honda uses American tier 1 suppliers all the time. Certainly Honda is doing the engine work, but they could provide the engine mounts for instance and still get info on the car.

As far as SOHC/DOHC, I would think that they would have to go DOHC to get that kind of horsepower/liter but he did not say, especially if it is not direct injected.

Either way, the guy likes Porsches, not Honda, and saw my NA1 car parked in the lot one day and struck up a conversation with me. He said his company worked on the next car, etc etc. Probably didn't care because he hated his last job, lol happens all the time.

SOHC or DOHC? Honda need to consult an engineering firm for engine design?

My sentiments exactly. 115-120 hp/liter with DOHC should be the easily be attainable for Honda, without outside consultants. It would have been believable if it was a v8 or larger engine. 4 and 6 cylinders are Honda's forte tho.

I don't even think Honda really knows. How would this guy? That may have been what originally was acheived, but that doesn't mean it's the final design and Honda can't push for more. If it's 360, the car needs to be very light.

Well they know how much the RL/RLX engine has but I agree a final final number isn't done yet.

That said 360hp out of the 3.5 after this many years is low but I would take it if they hit their weight targets. Can't say it enough that the 3100lb NA2 was doing 0-60 in 4.5 and 13.2 (I think maybe a bit quicker) from what is now considered to be a 280hp rating. Dropping 100lbs or more and 80hp with a more modern tranny and better traction even w/o hybrid power is gonna extremely fast! Honda has never needed a lot to make the NSX quick. 360hp would match the 911 and R8 V8.

Well they know how much the RL/RLX engine has but I agree a final final number isn't done yet.

That said 360hp out of the 3.5 after this many years is low but I would take it if they hit their weight targets. Can't say it enough that the 3100lb NA2 was doing 0-60 in 4.5 and 13.2 (I think maybe a bit quicker) from what is now considered to be a 280hp rating. Dropping 100lbs or more and 80hp with a more modern tranny and better traction even w/o hybrid power is gonna extremely fast! Honda has never needed a lot to make the NSX quick. 360hp would match the 911 and R8 V8.

How many next gen cars weigh less than the last gen? 360hp would be sad unless they had turbos on it.

It honestly sounds like the motor that should have been in the 2002 NSX, not a 2015.

Last edited:
How many next gen cars weigh less than the last gen? 360hp would be sad unless they had turbos on it.

It honestly sounds like the motor that should have been in the 2002 NSX, not a 2015.

A few (Dodge Viper , 911 , Cayman) but only when it's goal is to be lighter.

Well the HSC 3.5 V6 engine was supposed to be 350hp+ but using different tech. Of course that's older ratings so that engine would still be weaker than what the new one will be putting out. Of course here again we don't know yet what the specs will be my fingers still crossed for at least 110per liter although they should be above 120 per liter this much time after the S2K. Of course this car will have so much more tq than any Honda in history that's gonna be wild.

Hi all, i was just reading magazine from road and track.. In the article they are posting 2013- 2014 Future cars.. But there are no NSX.. I thought that NSX will come out in 2014.. I read that in the road and track they have been announced by Acura that the new NSX will come to market in 2014

I just don't see Honda doing turbos. They have always been about light weight high reving NA engines.

I just don't see Honda doing turbos. They have always been about light weight high reving NA engines.

I would rather have that, but a 3.5 isn't good to be good enough alone. Maybe supercharge it instead. 3.5 with 6lbs of boost should be 450 hp. Very competitive with an r8.

I would rather have that, but a 3.5 isn't good to be good enough alone. Maybe supercharge it instead. 3.5 with 6lbs of boost should be 450 hp. Very competitive with an r8.

...but isn't the electric motors up front going to add another 100hp?

360hp V6? That's pretty pathetic.

Hyundai Genesis Coupe: 348hp

2013-Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-Front-View-570x379.jpg

...but isn't the electric motors up front going to add another 100hp?

We hope so. Also adds a lot of weight.. But no idea how much. I am sure it will be plenty quick until the batteries run out. Might be a great street car.

We hope so. Also adds a lot of weight.. But no idea how much. I am sure it will be plenty quick until the batteries run out. Might be a great street car.

Ferrari F70: 920hp with KERS

So why can't Honda to the same or better?

360hp is lame no matter what.

Not to mention GT-R and LFA have much power...it's even worse when you compare to American cars.

Sure, 360hp would be acceptable as long as Honda can sell the new NSX for Hyundai Genesis Coupe price tag, but I don't think they will.

SRT Viper: 640hp

2013-SRT-Viper-1.jpg

Shelby GT500: 662hp

2013-ford-shelby-gt500_100390943_m.jpg

Corvette ZR-1: 638hp

lead24-2012-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-review.jpg

Guys don't believe these rumors. Honda is still developing the engine. They have design goals in mind and will meet them.

They won't. But since a lot of other manufacturers are using them people hope Honda will as well. Honda isn't interested in having really high hp numbers. We've seen that for years.

That's not saying a lot. LOL...

LOL No it really isn't

Are u meaning because of the hybrid motors?

Yes but this engine even in RLX form has 265lbs of tq. I imagine that would go up at least 30-40 more if the engine is rated at 360 which is 50 more than the 310 RL engine.

We're also talking better traction and gearing to enhance the acceleration.

Ferrari F70: 920hp with KERS

So why can't Honda to the same or better?

Well that is a 6.5l V12 which is significantly larger than their biggest V6 engine. Plus Honda is going more for efficiency and reliability. I'm sure you recall the V10 debacle lol

Your other American car references to me at least should be a good reminder to Honda about price. If your making the car here Honda how are you going to charge more for a V6 even with hybrid batteries than a V10 Viper or V8 ZR1. I just don't think a $120k tag seems realistic with those two also American made 600lb gorillas in the room.

I honestly am not worried about hp numbers as Honda has done a lot with a little before with the NSX plus I'm just thankful they're making one.

Back