Trying to Decide Between NSX and 370Z

If you are having this much trouble with yours then I agree w/ R13 - "somepin tain't right" at the dealer and just because they have a certified mechanic that's not enough! That has experience with NSXs - I've been there and done that and I won't go back to our local dealer after they "diagnosed" my ABS system and their "certified mechanic" told me to replace the entire ABS system cause it was leaking for a mere 5k -:eek::eek::eek:!

I took it to our local NSX/Acura independant Eiffel - great mechanic/shop- and he took care of that ABS problem for 150 bucks! Yep - 150 or 160. Simple - it's not just a flush that is needed - you have to exercise the solenoids. I've learned a lot about my car from Eiffel. I've also taken my car to the Barn Man, a pal of Eiffel. I took it to Barney straight from Houston when I bought it - good move on my part and had about 5k worth of work done - wasn't expecting some of it on my 91 with 43k miles on it at that time. But it has done well since and I drive it almost every day. Tires are an issue but if you live in Va then there is another great mechanic up there in or around Richmond. Write to 99NCNSX, that's his Prime handle, and he'll tell you about him. That may be much better for you as a drive. But then if you live in VA why would Nashville be a 2 day drive - must be counting there and back and back again to pick it up - whatever....Richmond is probably closer for you.

Thing about the dealer is they don't always do what's best for you - sure they loan you a car - but they are really good at replacing parts that cost a lot of money but not so good at diagnostics and fixing things because for them that is not cost effective. Don't know but I'd surely get a second opinion from an independant. I don't know how many miles you had on your car when purchased or what records you had - that makes a ton of difference.

When I first bought mine and took it to get serviced I kind of thought that maybe I didn't get such a good deal - but everytime I turn around and here others with their issues - I think oh, the PO did that on mine, like the AC, oh he did that too, the window thingys, oh he did that - the radio speakers - yep - service history on these old 91s is a MUST!!! You really don't know how valuable that is till you start hearing stories like yours Wilson. I'm not trying to be negative here at all - when I got that advice from the dealer about my ABS - I wrote Barney and called Eiffel and heard from my pals here on Prime - I put out an all points bulletin - you get answers that differ from dealer advice really quickly! I'd advise you to do that too. Don't just take it to the dealer and take their word as gosphel - cause you aren't using your car as a daily are you??? I never ever rely on my cool sports car as a daily - just because I want to keep it just right - I would always recommend anyone that buys a 20 year old car to have another car to use as back up - just cause you might have to leave your car in the shop and relying on loaners is not a good reason to use the dealer imho.

My 2 1/2 cents worth....sorry for the long write up - all the best and good luck in the future hope that referrence I gave you works for you.

Thanks, I might check with the Richmond possibility.

Yes, the NSX is my daily driver. I don't see the point in not enjoying it every day :)

This is my second NSX, and the second I took to Barnman. I had him do lots when I first got it, but haven't been back. I've had them for a 10 years, so I'm pretty familiar with the problems, maintenance, proper fixes, etc.

Thanks, I might check with the Richmond possibility.

Yes, the NSX is my daily driver. I don't see the point in not enjoying it every day :)

This is my second NSX, and the second I took to Barnman. I had him do lots when I first got it, but haven't been back. I've had them for a 10 years, so I'm pretty familiar with the problems, maintenance, proper fixes, etc.

Great Pete, sounds like you know plenty about them. I've heard from John Komar, 99NCNSX, that the guy he takes it too is super. Hope that works out for you better than the dealer. I know what you mean about driving the car - I drive mine every day the sun shines - and a Prius when it doesn't and when I don't want to leave my beauty out in the sun at the golf course. There are surely times when my Prius comes in handy!

Good luck!

Back