Trying to Decide Between NSX and 370Z

Affording a car goes beyond being able to pay insurance and mod it. Will you have enough money when the time comes to do the TB/WP and other associated costs, expect pay around $1,500 or so. Also consider the clutch replacement is going to be $2,000 or so. What about where the car will be kept, I don't think I could own an NSX without having a garage.

My priority out of college was to buy a house first as this is an investment (depending on when you bought of course ), it was for me.

In any case based on where you live you can probably get some good deals on a house today, then worry about the car later. There will be NSX's out there.

Also I agree with the above poster with regards to showing up to a new job with an NSX, people will judge you whether you like it or not.

I'm in the same situation, with the exact same cars. But i've decided to get a "whatever car" as a DD, just for transportation purposes, nothing fancy, and look for an NSX to have as a "toy", and keep it for life. The Z is a cool car, better than its predecessor, but it has nothing special, the NSX is in a different league. I totally understand your doubts, but i made my choice and i'm gonna work to get that NSX when possible.

regards,

A

i read this forum daily.
i have no nsx
i am considering both these cars
i have a paid for 03 accord
i have been out of college 2 years working in the utility industry (argueably the safest industry in this economy)
i had an opportunity to purchase 97 nsx-t pristine condition 35k miles for a fair price.
i passed because financing was around 7-10% int.
this thread has convinced me to get back into it and buy an NSX.

thanks prime.

Last edited:
Hummm... lets see

Wellsville, KS.... that sounds a little like where I currently live, Bennington, NE.

People just don't see NSX's around here...

My wife knew they were kind of rare, but she was never prepared for the type of response we receive when we are driving it.

People hang out of cars, turn around, take pictures driving down the road hanging out with their cell phones... two guys even followed us to ask us if it was a Ferarri.

If you want to be stealth... an NSX isn't the way to go.

Maybe if you live in CA or FL or someplace where they are seen more often...

My son-in-law was wanting a 350Z and a 370Z now... which works great for him... new technology and warranty... etc.

The Z will depreciate though, where the NSX should hopefully be near the bottom if they are kept nice.... and should increase in value as the years go by... they have a timeless design.

People still freak out when they find out it is a 91... 18 years old... they thought it was brand new.

We love our NSX... I've had Chevelles, Camaro's, Corvettes and some other sports type cars and this has been the funnest for us... I have never owned a BMW or a Porche... the NSX is the closest thing to an exotic I can touch... or would want to... Honda's are dependable...

Warranty, who needs a stink'n warranty :smile:

Seriously tough... get what you feel you would enjoy more.

For me... I don't see me selling our NSX any time soon... found a nice one we love it... but that is us.

Be blessed and thankful in whatever you decide!

...My wife knew they were kind of rare, but she was never prepared for the type of response we receive when we are driving it.

People hang out of cars, turn around, take pictures driving down the road hanging out with their cell phones... two guys even followed us to ask us if it was a Ferarri.

If you want to be stealth... an NSX isn't the way to go.
I agree, especially a lighter colored NSX. Similarly, and not just to pimp it, but I have a '69 Mustang that I restored and I get innundated with responses to it too- but it's different. People smile and react really positively to the 'Stang but they just seem to drop their jaws at the NSX. Both on the positive end of the spectrum for sure but different.

Definately though, neither are for those either don't want to be seen or don't want to be seen with who they're with, 'cause you will.

It's tomorrow BTW!

Attachments

• Mustang51600y.jpg
    Mustang51600y.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 93
Saw your comparo list above, but you missed one critical element "how does the car feel when you are driving it". It's easy to compare cars on paper, but cars are meant to be driven, so the driving experience should help make your decision much easier.

I"m with mickeylex. Drive the NSX. Drive the Nissan. By the way, I did a quick Google search for it and frankly, it didn't do it for me but perhaps you liked what 2009 can offer and the nostalgic lines? However, what I like doesn't matter in this case. What matters, is that YOU like it. I happen to like beautiful blondes with big ( )( ) and an @ss that tastes like french vanilla ice cream. Perhaps, you don't like... french vanilla :)

You ABSOLUTELY have to get behind the wheel of them both. I'd give you a pat on the back for your hard work and achievements but what you need now is a real reward. What feels right to YOU, is the right choice.

I"m going to go snuggle up to my NSX now.

Is it tomorrow yet?

:tongue:

Well, we just got back from driving both... I even took over driving after dinner and put the NSX through its paces in some backroads to show ZFreak how stable it was... I will say that the sales guy offered to let me drive the 370Z as well and it was a pretty neat car. Had a decent amount of power, lots of grip, handled pretty well, had a much nicer interior than the 350Z... That being said, I'm 100% satisfied with my personal choice to buy the NSX. I was a bit worried when the 370Z was coming out because I pulled the trigger on the NSX before they were available and it was, like ZFreak, a vehicle I was considering.

For me, the 370Z was a fun car, but it just didn't have that special allure that makes the NSX so special. I was hoping something about it would excite me, but it essentially felt like a nicer version of the 350Z I used to own. Slightly more power, slightly more grip, handled slightly better. They certainly took a good thing and made it better, there's no question about that... but even though it's probably every bit as quick (if not quicker) than my NSX, I could never trade my NSX for one.

I'll let Jared share his experience, but I think his words were "You were right, I want an NSX." :D :D :D

Last edited:
Yes, today was a great day getting to drive enigma's NSX and test driving a 370Z. And after getting to drive both back to back, I can say I like the experience of the NSX better than the 370Z. The 370Z was a neat car and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it wasn't as neat as the NSX. Not only did the NSX give me that "special" feeling, but it has a much better response to steering input and it also feels a lot more drivable around town than the 370Z did. The sound of the NSX is another great thing about it, the joy of hearing the engine rev to 8k rpms behind is so great. If financing was no object, I would be about 90% sure I would get the NSX, but I will sleep on it tonight and see how I feel tomorrow.

Yes, today was a great day getting to drive enigma's NSX and test driving a 370Z. And after getting to drive both back to back, I can say I like the experience of the NSX better than the 370Z...If financing was no object, I would be about 90% sure I would get the NSX, but I will sleep on it tonight and see how I feel tomorrow.

I see where this is headed and that is very cool, believe me. I know the real world isn't just black and white. In the morning please let us know that this all came down to financing and the warranty and not about the actual vehicle.

I think that what I got from the comparo was that in a vacuum the NSX was the superior vehicle but that it is about more than that - not that there's anything wrong with that. But I'll bet that the decision is harder with a Paxton a foot from the left ear.

Congrats on completing your degree and best of luck at B&V. Cut your teeth there then go to Jacobs.

Gotta get back to cleaning the sand out of my...

- Jessica Rabbit

Attachments

• bbsc.jpg
    bbsc.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 119
I can say I like the experience of the NSX better than the 370Z.

Glad to hear you got to drive both. As you said "the experience" of driving is what turns people into NSX owners. Ask almost any previous owner about their past NSX, and they always get a grin on their face and say "I loved driving that car".

By all measures, the new 370Z surpasses my '93 NSX in all areas of performance benchmarks. A base 370Z is one fantastic sports car for around $30K. It is really an incredible value if you analyze the specs. and the price includes factory warranty.

An older $30K NSX is also a terrific value but remember it's a very used car. Even in a low mileage NSX, one still needs to replace parts because of the age/time factor. Yes, Honda is reliable but it is relative. Believe me, anything older than 10 years will eventually start to deteriorate.

Maintenance and repair cost for a '09 370Z is virtually almost nothing for you for the next 4 years. However, for a 10+ year old NSX, it will be $3K,4K,5K....? Also consider the hassle factor of finding a local competent NSX mechanic who will not rip you off. How much is peace of mind worth to you?

A brand new 370Z is an engineering gem of a car for a daily drive. If I were you, I would buy the 370Z now. Wait a few years and save up for a NSX as a secondary car. Trust me on this. BTW, please don't dismiss a car because it is not "exotic, exclusive...." Don't be a car snob. Many NSX owners here on Prime could afford Porsches, Ferraris... but we like NSXs, precisely to spite other car snobs.

Best wishes and congratulations on completing your engineering degree.

After today, I wouldn't be surprised if ZFreak wants to buy an NSX solely based on its engineering marvel. We were putting my coilovers on today and he kept exclaiming things left and right, talking about how well it was engineered, how overengineered it was, how this, this, and this all made sense, and we all had a chuckle about just how much of the car was made of aluminum. :D

Which one will you rather own 2 years from now? I can guess which one will be worth more. :wink:

To me the 370 is too much like the car you already have. I'd get the NSX and keep your old one too. Then in a few years when the 370's are worth nothing you can sell your 300 and buy one. :biggrin:

got to say i agree with this assessment. why settle for 1 when u can have both??? :)

By all measures, the new 370Z surpasses my '93 NSX in all areas of performance benchmarks...

There's one solution, a under 50K miles stock NA2, he'll be putting 250-260 @ the wheels, leave alone weight savings .. still NSX's are on a different level IMHO

A brand new 370Z is an engineering gem of a car for a daily drive. If I were you, I would buy the 370Z now.

He will keep his Z, i had the same dilemma myself 4 years ago, get a house or an NSX (4 years ago Na2's were expensive) ... got the house and a S2K ... when the time came I sold the S2k and kept the NSX yet I agree, I drive my accord @ least 4 days per week!

Oscar

After today, I wouldn't be surprised if ZFreak wants to buy an NSX solely based on its engineering marvel. We were putting my coilovers on today and he kept exclaiming things left and right, talking about how well it was engineered, how overengineered it was, how this, this, and this all made sense, and we all had a chuckle about just how much of the car was made of aluminum. :D

Yes, I was marveling at the suspension. It looks like the suspension components were very thought out and no ounce was spared in extra material that was not needed. It looked as though the engineers stuck with a low safety factor and didn't make any parts bigger than they need to. That is one thing that annoys me with some aftermarket companies, they always exclaim how their parts are "beefier" than stock parts and so they are better, which isn't always necessarily true.

By all measures, the new 370Z surpasses my '93 NSX in all areas of performance benchmarks. A base 370Z is one fantastic sports car for around $30K. It is really an incredible value if you analyze the specs. and the price includes factory warranty.

An older $30K NSX is also a terrific value but remember it's a very used car. Even in a low mileage NSX, one still needs to replace parts because of the age/time factor. Yes, Honda is reliable but it is relative. Believe me, anything older than 10 years will eventually start to deteriorate.

Maintenance and repair cost for a '09 370Z is virtually almost nothing for you for the next 4 years. However, for a 10+ year old NSX, it will be $3K,4K,5K....? Also consider the hassle factor of finding a local competent NSX mechanic who will not rip you off. How much is peace of mind worth to you?

A brand new 370Z is an engineering gem of a car for a daily drive. If I were you, I would buy the 370Z now. Wait a few years and save up for a NSX as a secondary car. Trust me on this. BTW, please don't dismiss a car because it is not "exotic, exclusive...." Don't be a car snob. Many NSX owners here on Prime could afford Porsches, Ferraris... but we like NSXs, precisely to spite other car snobs.

Best wishes and congratulations on completing your engineering degree.

My car is 18 years old and over the last 3 years it has not required much in maintenence. Nothing different than an ordinary car, except maybe for rear tires. The $3K, 4K, 5K etc will more likely be spent on mods than on maintenence items. Especially if he finds a NSX with fully documented maintenence history with a recent TB/WP service and Clutch. They are out there...the OP should go get one!!!

Sadly, that's not always true. Unfortunately my NSX has been the oppposite, even though it was low mileage but decently maintained, and I immediately did all servicing on purchase, I've probably put $12K in it in the last year and a half.

Refurb tranny, new a/c core (notorious NSX failure), new Aluminum door handles with fix its (notorious failure), new right rear hub, repaired climate control unit (notorious failure - sent to BrianK), new door speaker amps (notorious failure - sent out again), lots of tire money (daily driver), new Radiator overflow bottle, cleaned VTEC solenoid twice, scheduled maintenance, etc.

Admittedly I take it to the Acura dealer after Barnman replaced the hoses, installed my Bilstein's, etc. when I first got it. While they charge more, they've loaned me a car for months (while I found a refurb tranny) and months (while they replace a/c core), and fixed stuff for free when they broke it or were wrong (new radio antenna, free thermostat replacement).

Even with my continued (minor but irritating) steering issues, and my (infrequent) check engine light, my next car would be a 98 auto NSX if I can find one, unless I can afford that R8 or Cayman someday.

And it attracts lots of attention in black.

My car is 18 years old and over the last 3 years it has not required much in maintenence. Nothing different than an ordinary car, except maybe for rear tires. The $3K, 4K, 5K etc will more likely be spent on mods than on maintenence items. Especially if he finds a NSX with fully documented maintenence history with a recent TB/WP service and Clutch. They are out there...the OP should go get one!!!

I thought about saving for a few months so I can have a bigger down payment and hopefully get a '97 or newer, which would be nice.

Sadly, that's not always true. Unfortunately my NSX has been the oppposite, even though it was low mileage but decently maintained, and I immediately did all servicing on purchase, I've probably put $12K in it in the last year and a half.

Refurb tranny, new a/c core (notorious NSX failure), new Aluminum door handles with fix its (notorious failure), new right rear hub, repaired climate control unit (notorious failure - sent to BrianK), new door speaker amps (notorious failure - sent out again), lots of tire money (daily driver), new Radiator overflow bottle, cleaned VTEC solenoid twice, scheduled maintenance, etc.

Admittedly I take it to the Acura dealer after Barnman replaced the hoses, installed my Bilstein's, etc. when I first got it. While they charge more, they've loaned me a car for months (while I found a refurb tranny) and months (while they replace a/c core), and fixed stuff for free when they broke it or were wrong (new radio antenna, free thermostat replacement).

Even with my continued (minor but irritating) steering issues, and my (infrequent) check engine light, my next car would be a 98 auto NSX if I can find one, unless I can afford that R8 or Cayman someday.

i'm sorry to say but your situation is not very common among nsx's. i will admit that the climate control unit, door handles, cracked overflow bottle, and blown speaker amps are common and v-tec solenoids. but the a/c core is not, and why did you have the v-tec solenoid serviced twice? also a blown tranny is not something i would consider to be a regular maintainance stuff.

in the 2 years that i have owned my nsx, i must've only spent $600 on maintainance, and broken stuff. my car has proven to be extremely durable esp since mine has 94K miles on it and i drive mine the way its suppose to be driven. i'm sure half of the $12K alone must've been from that tranny.

Last edited:
i'm sorry to say but your situation is not very common among nsx's. i will admit that the climate control unit, door handles, cracked overflow bottle, and blown speaker amps are common and v-tec solenoids. but the a/c core is not, and why did you have the v-tec solenoid serviced twice? also a blown tranny is not something i would consider to be a regular maintainance stuff.

in the 2 years that i have owned my nsx, i must've only spent $600 on maintainance, and broken stuff. my car has proven to be extremely durable esp since mine has 94K miles on it and i drive mine the way its suppose to be driven. i'm sure half of the $12K alone must've been from that tranny.

Yeah, I haven't had that much trouble out of my 200+k miles '92 since I got it last year. I could probably spend close to that much if I wanted everything absolutely perfect, and had the work done (as opposed to me doing it) even so.

Hopefully with that done your experience will get better there wilsonp.

Wow Pete, seems like you might have experienced some bad luck. The first year I owned mine I did a 60K service and that was only $875 through an independant NSX tech. Then, I installed the window fix-it thingies and the door handle latch billet parts myself so that is taken car of for relatively cheap.

The next year I had a new master and slave cyl put in with a brake flush and that set me back about another $500. Throw in a couple of $50 oil changes and that about does it for me as far as maintenence. I still have not had to put tires on as they were new when I bought them and I only put on 10K miles so far. If I was using the car for a daily driver yes, I would expect to spend a lot more on tires and filters and stuff.

BTW, I never had A/C core problems, but I do have rock shields installed to prevent rock damage. Radiator hoses and overflow bottle have been replaced by P.O. I do have the CCU intermittant problem that was found in the PPI and my subwoofer amp is crackling a bit but I plan on getting BrianK to repair those soon. Those things are just a minor annnoyance, since I prefer hearing the engine. My A/C works great and my steering is tight.

I must have been lucky to get a good one.

Last edited:
Well, the dealer cleaned the V-Tec solenoid instead of replacing it, so they did the second service for free when the CEL was thrown again.

OTOH, it is going back to the dealership tomorrow - lately, it isn't starting reliably, it still throws CEL occasionally (down on power below 4200 RPM) and the radio antenna stopped working after the dealer took apart the dash last time. Plus an oil change :)

Unfortunately, my NSX has been somewhat of a lemon for a Honda. I hoped the auto would last longer but it turned out to cost more than clutch replacement to get a used tranny, plus nearly every other NSX expense I've ever seen listed. Did I mention new trunk and engine cover shocks, ABS flushing twice, new discs (my fault since I run Panther Plus brake pads).

Strangely, I am now looking at getting a 96 or newer automatic NSX versus a 370Z Touring + Sport automatic, and I am thinking I can afford the car payment as easily as the twice yearly maintenance and repair of my NSX. Plus my PhatBox cable broke and can't be replaced, so a better stereo would be nice. And a 370Z Touring + Sport auto is about as rare as a 97 or newer Black/Black NSX Auto.

Unfortunately, I am only being offered 17k wholesale for my NSX as trade-in, due to the issues I guess. And everyone is afraid they can't sell it.

Well, the dealer cleaned the V-Tec solenoid instead of replacing it, so they did the second service for free when the CEL was thrown again.

OTOH, it is going back to the dealership tomorrow - lately, it isn't starting reliably, it still throws CEL occasionally (down on power below 4200 RPM) and the radio antenna stopped working after the dealer took apart the dash last time. Plus an oil change :)

Unfortunately, my NSX has been somewhat of a lemon for a Honda. I hoped the auto would last longer but it turned out to cost more than clutch replacement to get a used tranny, plus nearly every other NSX expense I've ever seen listed. Did I mention new trunk and engine cover shocks, ABS flushing twice, new discs (my fault since I run Panther Plus brake pads).

Strangely, I am now looking at getting a 96 or newer automatic NSX versus a 370Z Touring + Sport automatic, and I am thinking I can afford the car payment as easily as the twice yearly maintenance and repair of my NSX. Plus my PhatBox cable broke and can't be replaced, so a better stereo would be nice. And a 370Z Touring + Sport auto is about as rare as a 97 or newer Black/Black NSX Auto.

Unfortunately, I am only being offered 17k wholesale for my NSX as trade-in, due to the issues I guess. And everyone is afraid they can't sell it.

Were I you, if you wanted to really sort-out your current car, I would take it to someone who was more familiar with NSXs than that dealership. It sounds like they're rushing the job, fumbling around, or cutting corners and not really helping things. There are at least a couple of superb NSX techs within a day's driver or so of VA IIRC. I've had similar experiences with dealership service on my other car, which is why I don't go there. That's not universally true, but I've had far better experiences with folks like Barney (aka Barn Man on prime) than with dealerships when I run into something I can't do myself.

Barnman is great, but he is a 2 day trip minimum for me, plus days for working on the car. Not my first choice when taking a vacation (though it would be good to see him again!).

The dealership has two certified mechanics and sees a fair number of NSXs, I think mine just has an unusual issue causing the CEL. And the steering. I will see what they say next week.

In any case, I don't drive an NSX for exclusivity or looks, but handling and performance, and the 370Z looks like it gets close while staying in my budget - it is probably my fourth choice (the Cayman S PDK would be my third choice, but too much right now).

Back