Trying to Decide Between NSX and 370Z

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be looking for a NSX in the $30k-$35k range, and I will definitely wait for one that has been taken care of and has all its records.

But now about the depreciation thing, I know the 370Z will depreciate rapidly right when I drive it off the lot, but how much will the NSX depreciate if I put a lot of miles on it? My Z is definitely not pleasant to drive all the time because it is loud and the suspension alignment is set up for auto-x and track days (-2.0* front camber and -1.5* rear camber) and so it will bounce off the road if you don't watch it, and the ride is so stiff it will make your kidney's fall out, so I definitely don't want to drive it all the time. I wanted a "new" car that was also very fun so I can drive it around, so my NSX or 370Z will have a lot of miles put on it. I will probably drive it to work every day that it is nice out and such, so it seems to me that the 370Z will be more practical for this purpose, but since I'm young, I would be willing to give up a little practicality if I were to get the NSX. I guess I am wondering if a NSX is livable to drive 4-6 times per week and how much will it really be worth if I get a lot of miles on it. I am very anal about maintaning my cars, so it will be well-maintaned and records will be kept.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be looking for a NSX in the $30k-$35k range, and I will definitely wait for one that has been taken care of and has all its records.

I will probably drive it to work every day that it is nice out and such,.....

I am wondering if a NSX is livable to drive 4-6 times per week and how much will it really be worth if I get a lot of miles on it.

I am very anal ....

Just dont take it when rains etc, is a WASTE to see such car been under crazy traffic and on the rain/dirt, if it's sunny hell yes, see if you can BUMP your budget to 37K and get a NA2 nsx.

The NSX is definitely an everyday drivable car even if it's lowered or loud (that is up to you, i don't drive mine everyday to keep the miles low + I baby this car).. specially since you are young you will have no issues @ all, i used to drive a LOUD cramped S2k to work everyday like a MANIAC @ 9k rpm's, top down for 3 years, oh I LOVED, now i drive my accord 4 times per week and i feel sedated person but then i think about friday, yet on fridays driving the nsx is a pure joy, it is very GT i guess, as long as you keep the stock seats, it does feel like a luxury sportscar and if you push it, goes from nice sportscar to a true MR car.

did you just said ANAL? LOL
Cheers and good luck, also, TAKE YOUR TIME to find the right one!

Oscar

By the sound of this... I think you should go with a Z. The NSX holds it's value quite well, but like anything... it will also depriciate. Try not to think about "how much I will get out of it when time to sell?" Whatever you purchase, just enjoy.
On another note. You may not want to show up to your new job having such a fancy car. Your co-worker may look at you differently and your boss may not give you a raise.

Just something to think about.

On another note. You may not want to show up to your new job having such a fancy car. Your co-worker may look at you differently and your boss may not give you a raise.

Just something to think about.

That is a good point but I think it can work both ways. The car also says this guy is a winner.....he is succesful....he will be succesful.....he is a man to be recognized. Just depends on the boss's attitude/ego.

well, depends, if you really are going to get a 37 - 40K used NSX with all records/serviced all perfect in all senses ETC ETC then DO IT, keep your DD Z .... just don't get a BEAT UP horrible NSX -yes there's lots of them- just b/c could be cheap .. be careful, you don't want a problematic NSX, it can cost some good $$

about the 370Z ,,, is a nice car, fast -I imagine- but coming from an S2000 myself i'll tell you, the NSX has a total different machine than many out there .. unless you get some of the new amazing cars @ over 70K price tag .... now in the LOOKS department, there' few cars out there that look nicer.

Oscar

+1 Take your time and be choosy then DD the Z and keep the nsx for special occasions.

I have first hand experience with the 370z. I sell them and it is a nice car, and definately better than previous model. The interior is leaps and bounds better as far as material quality, and overall build quality. The doors feel lighter, the bose system is actually lighter than previous models. Looks are subjective, and I think the front looks good, and the vehicle is designed nice.

Performance wise, the vehicle performs well, and it is very responsive to aggressive driving. The automatic is a 7 speed, and it has a very crisp shift, and it is a nice cruising machine. The 6 speed is where it is at due to the sports package which comes with the 19" wheels spoiler, and the upgraded brakes. The syncromesh shifting is sweet, but takes getting use to. The engine holds the rpms so you stay in the higher revs.

Overall the newness is nice, and it is a fun vehicle to drive, but if you are wanting an icon, then the nsx is for you. The 370z will be common, and overall not the best investment, if you want to call a car an investment.

Good luck with your choice.

Yeah, just make sure you factor in some "update" mods for the NSX.

You're going to want to update the stereo, perhaps drop in NAV, bluetooth, etc.... HID's, some larger rims....

Of course, you don't have to do any of that, but the temptation is hard to resist.

I think I'd buy an NSX but LEASE a 370Z.

I guess another thing I am considering is I will have a warranty that a new car comes with, and I kind of wanted a new car, but having a NSX in the garage would be really neat. I agree about the exclusivity of the NSX, it will be nice to have a car that is not seen anywhere instead of having a car that will end up blending in.

And yeah, I plan on keeping my Z32 and TT'ing it hopefully sometime next year. Always been my goal since I first got it.

Eh I hate teh feeling of the 350. for some reason I think it feels very much like a boat. I'm not sure how the 370 compares, but I hear its a huge diff!

I wouldn't TT that z32 NA. You can buy a TT'd one for like 8g's in pretty good condition. Have you ever worked on a z32tt? Have you ever just installed BOV's and a pop charge intake? Took me and my buddy a whole day, and we're very mechanically inclined. You have to like take out the engine halfway to do any type of work and you'll be lucky if you have 10 fingers left by the end of it. Not to mention the mess of wires everywhere! I hated working on the thing and it was super heavy. Only pros about it is the decent speed. I hear its even more impossible trying to TT the NA.

I personally wouldn't waste anymore money on the z32 even though the vg is pretty bulletproof, if you want speed just pick up a Supra which is soo much easier. Then that would cost a lil less than a X.. Haha like everyone said, just use the z32NA as a grocery getter and pick up a X

Last edited:
Greetings

Don't buy either in this economy, especially since you are just graduating from college. Make a car payment to yourself for the next 3 - 4 years and then pay half with cash. Good luck at "Black & Wretch". People there will know the joke. :-)

I guess this has been mentioned, but buying a new car right now will get you an immediate deal, but you will TAKE A BATH if you sell it within the first couple of years. That's always been the case, but it's horrible right now. Manufacturer's are selling and financing cars so cheap that its easier to just by a new one than a barely used one at a interest rate 4-8 times that of new (0.9%). I just bought an 08 335 6spd last summer and just sold it with 6800 miles on it. Before the economy, I might have expected a $5k hit off of new... but I lost my ass with a $14k hit including the worthless (but worth it to the right buyer) aftermarket stuff that I didn't want to bother removing this time.

Definitely go with the NSX over the Z. If it's an NA1, I bet it will be worth what you pay for it or damn close for the next several years (unless we go communist and tear ourselves apart and the currency goes belly up).

Last edited:
This is how I break it down in my mind.

NSX
Pros:
- Exotic
- Mid-engine
- Sounds great
- Rare
- Better resale value

Cons:
- Old (I'm kind of tired of having a '90s car)
- Financing won't be that good
- Parts are more expensive
- Not as practical

370Z
Pros:
- Brand new
- Warranty
- Better financing (could be the deal breaker)
- Parts cheaper even if not under warranty
- I know everything that has been done to the car
- More practical

Cons:
- Lose a lot of its value
- More common
- Not an exotic

Although it would be best for me to save for a few years and pay cash, I am eager to get it very soon. That may sound childish, but basically it is a reward for all the hard work I have done. Throughout my whole life, I have always just gotten a pat on the back and a "good job" for all of my accomplishments (4.0 GPA in high school, graduating from Engineering school in 3 years with a 3.7 GPA, having an internship last summer and landing a job before I graduate, etc.) and if I wait and save for a few years, I will just be getting a pat on the back and "good job" again. I am not complaining that I haven't received any material rewards, but now that I can afford to reward myself, I am going to. I have created a spreadsheet of my 5-year monthly budget and I can definitely afford a $30k-$35k car without "trying to make ends meet".

Last edited:

NSX
Pros:
- Exotic
- Mid-engine
- Sounds great
- Rare
- Better resale value

Cons:
- Not as practical

370Z
Pros:
- Brand new
- Warranty
- More practical

Cons:
- More common
- Not an exotic

Although it would be best for me to save for a few years and pay cash, I am eager to get it very soon. That may sound childish, but basically it is a reward for all the hard work I have done. Throughout my whole life, I have always just gotten a pat on the back and a "good job" for all of my accomplishments (4.0 GPA in high school, graduating from Engineering school in 3 years with a 3.7 GPA, having an internship last summer and landing a job before I graduate, etc.) and if I wait and save for a few years, I will just be getting a pat on the back and "good job" again. I am not complaining that I haven't received any material rewards, but now that I can afford to reward myself, I am going to. I have created a spreadsheet of my 5-year monthly budget and I can definitely afford a $30k-$35k car without "trying to make ends meet".

i dont think thats childish at all. You def need to reward yourself from time to time or else you'll forget the meaning of why your working or what your working for and just start hating what you do.

Dude. If you got an ME in 3 years, you deserve a reward. Hell, if you got an ME in 5 yrs, you deserve a reward.

Let me add 1 "Pro" to the NSX.

Feel. I've owned 20+ sportscars and not had a car with a better feel for the road. If my right rear hits a bit of gravel, I know it. If one wheel is losing traction, I can choose to correct it or push it further. Even at 100+ it is the most communicative car I have ever driven. The steering wheel is like a stethoscope for the road.

:cool:

Jared

You will want to consider service cost and service provider. I have been trying to find someone near Springfield, Missouri with no luck. I love my NSX but it has become too hard for me to maintain. It's a 1991 red/black with 16,000 original miles if you want it.

NSX
Pros:
- Exotic
- Mid-engine
- Sounds great
- Rare
- Better resale value

Cons:
- Not as practical

370Z
Pros:
- Brand new
- Warranty
- More practical

Cons:
- More common
- Not an exotic

I'm in the same situation, with the exact same cars. But i've decided to get a "whatever car" as a DD, just for transportation purposes, nothing fancy, and look for an NSX to have as a "toy", and keep it for life. The Z is a cool car, better than its predecessor, but it has nothing special, the NSX is in a different league. I totally understand your doubts, but i made my choice and i'm gonna work to get that NSX when possible.

regards,

A

Skip both choices and spring for a GTR!

I think you are asking the wrong people this question. Or, are you posing the same question on the Z forums?

IMO, you should ask the question differently: What do you like about your NSX? Does it make a good daily driver? Etc.

Here's a test, park the NSX next to the new Z., which appeals to you more? Drive them both, which best suits your style of driving?

Warranty? You won't need one for the NSX (I have had no major issues, knock on wood), you will need it for the Z.

I will probably drive it to work every day that it is nice out and such, so it seems to me that the 370Z will be more practical for this purpose, but since I'm young, I would be willing to give up a little practicality if I were to get the NSX. I guess I am wondering if a NSX is livable to drive 4-6 times per week and how much will it really be worth if I get a lot of miles on it. I am very anal about maintaning my cars, so it will be well-maintaned and records will be kept.

My daily driver is a 1992 NSX with 216,000 miles on it. Apart from replacing a few items that the previous owner neglected, and taking care of some things that should have been normal maintenance, I have had no trouble out of it.

Also, as far as carrying capacity, I don't think a current Z will do a whole lot better than an NSX. A little creative packing goes a long way with these cars. If you get a 50k mile car (year depending) and put another 50k on it before you sell it, the % depreciation will be far less than you'd see putting 50k on a 370Z. I think we've seen 150k cars go for more than 20k pretty regularly.

When I was shopping for mine, I looked at an Esprit S4, both versions of the S2000, a 993 C2, and an R32 GTR.

An NSX is:
-slower (straight line) but more reliable than the lotus
-more expensive to maintain, but more exotic than an S2000
-less practical, but more exciting than the porsche
-not as rare as, but more federally legal, and more well appointed than the skyline

The point is that the NSX is, in some respects, not as good as these cars, but in other respects far superior, it just depends on what feels good to you.

Thanks everyone for their opinion and why they think the NSX is the right choice. I guess this thread got away from it, but my main point was to introduce myself, and mentioning that I am trying to decide between a NSX and 370Z was the reason I joined this site (also because Pete (enigma) posted pics of his NSX and my Z). I have been on a 300ZX site for 6 years now and I am a super moderator over there, so I definitely know how annoying it gets when people ask whether they should buy a 300ZX or car X. So apoligies to those who thought that was my intentions, like ChopsJazz said, I should of phrased it "What is the pros and cons of a NSX?" and "Would a NSX fit into my situation?".

Thanks again for everyones input, I will let you guys know how my test drive of a NSX and 370Z goes next week.

I would get an NSX or the E46 M3. That is a better comparison. They make a great Turbo kit for the M3 from Horsepowerfreaks.com. It is a great format to go fast in. The NSX is a great car but you really, really have to love the car. If you want to track the car get the NSX or M3. You will appreciate its features more. If you want a car with a good stereo, goes fast and all around cruising car than get something else. The stereo in an NSX sucks.

Actually, you are better off not buying either if you don't have a job lined up.

Saw your comparo list above, but you missed one critical element "how does the car feel when you are driving it". It's easy to compare cars on paper, but cars are meant to be driven, so the driving experience should help make your decision much easier.

Saw your comparo list above, but you missed one critical element "how does the car feel when you are driving it". It's easy to compare cars on paper, but cars are meant to be driven, so the driving experience should help make your decision much easier.

We'll find out tomorrow... ZFreak will be driving my NSX directly to the Nissan dealer to drive a 370Z back to back. :D I don't think he'll be disappointed. ;)

Back