Trying to Decide Between NSX and 370Z

Hello everyone! I just wanted to quickly introduce myself. My name is Jared and I currently go to school at Pittsburg State University and will graduate in May with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I have been a car nerd since I was 15 and bought my first sports car when I was 16, which is the car I still have today, a 1993 Nissan 300ZX N/A. When I first saw the Z32, I instantly fell in love with the styling and found out that I could afford one. But now that I will be getting an Engineering job with Black and Veatch, I have decided to buy another car as sort of a present to myself for completing Engineering school in 3 years. Now that comes to my dilemma.

When I heard that Nissan was going to replace the 350Z with the 370Z, I was excited and was set on getting the 370Z. But then I started looking around for other cars I could get for around $30k and realized I could get a NSX or a E46 M3, which both have always been one of my dream cars. Although I love the E46, I decided I don't want one at this time, so it is between the NSX and the 370Z. Its either an "old" exotic or a brand new sports car. The lure of the brand spanking newness of the 370Z is very appealing, but the lure of having an exotic like the NSX is also very appealing. Thus my dilemma.

Pete (enigma) and I are planning on driving his NSX to the Nissan dealership next Thursday so I can drive both the NSX and 370Z the same day so I can try and decide which one I like to buy.

But enough of my rambling, you can see a few pictures of my Z in Pete's thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119086

Which one will you rather own 2 years from now? I can guess which one will be worth more. :wink:

To me the 370 is too much like the car you already have. I'd get the NSX and keep your old one too. Then in a few years when the 370's are worth nothing you can sell your 300 and buy one. :biggrin:

Have been in a 350Z and have seen the 370Z...just not exotic enough for me...the 370Z is a neat car...but there are soooo many 350Zs on the streets that it will just blend in...and thats a hell of a lot of money to spend on an item "to just blend in". It is the same argument that I have for the Corvette...they are everywhere and no one is really going to stop and see if your model is the top of the line one...its just a Corvette...it is different though, if your Vette is a 1962 model :biggrin:.

Dam :cool:

Keep the 300ZX (I used to own a 280 when I was in college, great daily driver) and buy the NSX. There's no reason to own two sports cars from the same manufacturer. Also, simply put, you'll love the NSX. It's not competition of the 370, it's competition for Ferraris and Lotuses...not Nissans.

I think the 350 and 370 are both cool fun cars. Especially the convertibles. Put it this way. I'm keeping the NSX, and I'll probably get a convertible 350 for my girl. The Z's are cool, but I don't think they're "special".

I guess another thing I am considering is I will have a warranty that a new car comes with, and I kind of wanted a new car, but having a NSX in the garage would be really neat. I agree about the exclusivity of the NSX, it will be nice to have a car that is not seen anywhere instead of having a car that will end up blending in.

And yeah, I plan on keeping my Z32 and TT'ing it hopefully sometime next year. Always been my goal since I first got it.

Last edited:
Ah yes...warranty...Nice to have, but heck, you won't need one...its a Honda. It just works! :cool:

I guess another thing I am considering is I will have a warranty that a new car comes with, and I kind of wanted a new car, but having a NSX in the garage would be really neat. I agree about the exclusivity of the NSX, it will be nice to have a car that is not seen anywhere instead of having a car that will end up blending in.

And yeah, I plan on keeping my Z32 and TT'ing it hopefully sometime next year. Always been my goal since I first got it.

There you go! :wink: Answered your own inquiry!
Keep the '93 300ZX for daily duties. Purchase NSX now for best price point and finest condition, and it will "seem" like it is under warranty 'cause all the problems will already be handled by a fellow 'Primer.

P. S. My guess is, after you enjoy the NSX, you will disregard "TT'ing it" on the '93 300ZX.

exactly! you dont need a warranty!

I wish I knew this back in the day.

I bought an extended warranty with my 92 NSX thinking something might happen... 2 years later... warranty has expired and nothing has happened except for a flat tire!

Warranties sure are overrated on old Hondas I guess =]

Welcome:smile:

Think about the depreciation the 370Z will see in the next 5 years and the fact that it will be next to nothing on the NSX. Thats a good reason not to buy a new car period. Find a NSX with fully documented maintenence history and you can't go wrong.

Id be more worried that my job was not going to be there when I graduate. Thats just the pessimist in me.

Also, do you have plently of money for insurance, maintenance, and anything that goes wrong with a car? The $30k is just the first down payment.

Drive both. See how ergonomical they both are, how much (or lack of) trunk room they have and what you intend on using it for.

Keep in mind it might take 1-2 months to find the NSX that's right for you, also the fact that the 370 will drop ~10K once you leave the showroom floor, but you have a factory warranty.

Think about all this and which car tickles your fancy. Personally, I think the M3 is a great daily/all purpose car -have an E36 M3, but I also have an NSX and LOVE it, but think the 370 is a very nice car with far better interior than the 350 (which I like a lot) but its not as good at drifting as the 350.

Find out what's right for you and keep in mind, your asking NSX owners here. 370owners will tell you how old NSXs are -its all perspective.

Congrats on the degree and reward youself with what will make YOU happy

Id be more worried that my job was not going to be there when I graduate. Thats just the pessimist in me.

Also, do you have plently of money for insurance, maintenance, and anything that goes wrong with a car? The $30k is just the first down payment.

Thanks for the concern. I have a full budget report made on my income and expenses and yes, I can afford all the costs of owning the car. Even after the car payment, insurance, and such, I still have quite a sum of money left over each month. I have been in constant contact with the company I have a job lined up with and I still have a job, but if I don't, I am applying at other companies as a back up. I'm just glad I am in the Engineering field as it is a little easier to find a job than most other fields. But I definitely won't be purchasing another car until I have started my job so I know that I have it.

stuntman said:
Drive both. See how ergonomical they both are, how much (or lack of) trunk room they have and what you intend on using it for.

Keep in mind it might take 1-2 months to find the NSX that's right for you, also the fact that the 370 will drop ~10K once you leave the showroom floor, but you have a factory warranty.

Think about all this and which car tickles your fancy. Personally, I think the M3 is a great daily/all purpose car -have an E36 M3, but I also have an NSX and LOVE it, but think the 370 is a very nice car with far better interior than the 350 (which I like a lot) but its not as good at drifting as the 350.

Find out what's right for you and keep in mind, your asking NSX owners here. 370owners will tell you how old NSXs are -its all perspective.

Congrats on the degree and reward youself with what will make YOU happy

Yes, the resale value of both cars is definitely in my mind, which makes me like the NSX more. I plan on driving a NSX and 370Z the same day next week, so we will see how that goes.

Last edited:
370z is the "new" modernized car and it just came out, I'm sure thats another reason you want it but... after a year or so something will come out thats even better maybe a new Z / new engine who knows. People have a tendency to try to get the new thing on the block and just keep trading it in.

I say drive both , if you like the Z that much then get it.
The NSX has held its value and great looks for years now so you already know that. Also i use to have a 350z, look where im at now.

EDIT: if i was you and wanted that 370z... i would def wait about 2 years or so.. the Z's drop fast in price. my 2 cents. But then again i read your sig and you have some old nissans. I'm sure you want something NEW/FRESH. warrantied kinda deal. So i get where your at

Last edited:
Did Nissan ever correct that POS 6 speed gearbox. Yes I had one and yes it had 2 trannys. Thats a huge issue with the Z cars. Otherwise I liked the car.

I owned a 92 NSX for about six years and sold it in 2003 for a G35. Six months later I sold it and bought another NSX and still own it today. To me there is no compairson between the two cars. Compared to the NSX the G35 felt and sounded like a tractor when you revved the engine. From what I've read the motor in the 370Z is just as unrefined and rough when revved up. Like everyone else said: go drive both cars back to back and decide for yourself.

Did they teach you any Finance in college? Finanacially speaking buying a new car is a terrible idea. Go with the NSX and you wont regret it.

One of the smartest things I ever did (car-wise) when I got out of college is NOT buy a new car (re: Ensignmobile=Corvette).

I bought a couple of year old car (that was new to me) with "cash" and started saving for my next car. Due to lower insurance/depreciation/etc...total cost of ownership was down.

I milked that old car until I had saved cash (in a special car account) to buy my next car.

Jared.
I see where you're at with all this. My wife and I love cars. We especially love the NSX since we were born. Okay... that's a bit too extreme.
I have never been happy with any cars that we've owned. I keep on swaping them like under wear.
A year and a half ago, we found our perfect NSX and still love it today. This is the only car that I would never consider selling, unless we are starving.

Our G35 coupe was new with all the gadgets, but was still run of the mill. Nothing really special about it. Test drove the 370Z...nice car, but nothing jumped out. It just didn't do it for me. So I Sold the G a month ago and picked up an 03 Z32 TT same color as yours. Really enjoying the Turbo.

So my point is I like the Z32 over the Z34. The NSX is in a different league no matter what year.

The problem is you will always want what you don't have. So for now just pick one and pick up the other one once you have more dough.:biggrin:

This is what motivates me to work hard. More dough= more cars.

Good luck and Congrats.

well, depends, if you really are going to get a 37 - 40K used NSX with all records/serviced all perfect in all senses ETC ETC then DO IT, keep your DD Z .... just don't get a BEAT UP horrible NSX -yes there's lots of them- just b/c could be cheap .. be careful, you don't want a problematic NSX, it can cost some good $$

about the 370Z ,,, is a nice car, fast -I imagine- but coming from an S2000 myself i'll tell you, the NSX has a total different machine than many out there .. unless you get some of the new amazing cars @ over 70K price tag .... now in the LOOKS department, there' few cars out there that look nicer.

Oscar

Back