trade nsx for viper?

Either you had those repairs done over a period of ten years, or you tried to save money by buying a poorly-maintained NSX and found out it's "pay now or pay later".

Some of those repair prices are out of line - in particular, the snap ring repair should have been no more than half that amount, as long as you didn't keep driving on it when it went. The Bose speaker repair should be around $200, not $800. etc.

And the maintenance items - tires, timing belt, 60K service - are, well, just maintenance. You will have those same costs on your Viper or any other car. Most warranties don't cover those.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 04 April 2002).]

Originally posted by randall:
mynsx,
i can assure you that my y2k gts is not junk
mad.gif
the build quality is good,maybe first gen. cars had problems.lets just discuss my 92 nsx
snap ring $6000 fix
window $650 fix
climate control $5000 fix
hatch stuts $250 fix
antena $300 fix
loose radio knob $50 fix
bad bose speaker $800 fix
tim belt/pump 60k serv. $2500
evaporater $2400 fix
broken horn buton $25
tires every 6k $800
ripped visor $85
although i spent twice as mutch for my viper up front it has a warranty till '07 even though i won't have have it anymore because when the new gt40 is aval. i'll trade again.
cool.gif

Holy crap your NSX cost you a lot!! I am looking at a 1992 w/ 60K miles, but damn, maybe I should reconsider! Sounds like an extented warranty is a must. Did you have one? and did it cover most of those problems?

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Hey Randall, ENJOY!! I cant stand all the bad criticism over you making a personal decision. I went thru the same crisis and the NSX won due to it's great handling in traffic. I can hole shoot it anywhere. I did'nt feel that with the GTS. My NSX is a 97 with 6 speed and this may make some differences in capability. My solution for the next level of desired HP is the Basch Boost. Again, have fun and enjoy our cars regardless of make...

Say what you will about ergonomics and looks, but there is nothing about the performance of a Viper that is useless or crap!
Not JMHO.

This car is for experienced drivers.

thanks for the support guys!imo i have always loved the squat look of the viper with its massive 335-30x18 tires,btw that v-10 can roast them at will.the more i drive this car,the more i love it!if the next gen. nsx looked anything like what lud posted on 4/1,i'd get one.NSX+V-8=LOVE
biggrin.gif

The Viper is a juggernaut. I've checked them out on many occasions (lots of friends with snakes) and the build quality seemed tight to me.

I prefer the surgical precision of the NSX, but the Viper is the closest you can get to a race car for under $100k. I don't like what Dodge has done with the upcoming SRT though, they have taken a lot of the edge off IMHO...

I am soooo tired of hearing about penis cars. What about vagina cars?? Or better yet uterus cars? Or I haven't heard about liver cars or heart cars of how about endocrine system cars??

And isn't it obvious the kind of responses you will get posting on a NSX forum?

Am I missing something?

I doubt it will only be the roadster for long. They did that when they released the first Viper as well. I'm sure the following year will have a coupe. A GTS (or similar) version) will follow soon afterward.

First off you are being RAPED w/ no grease on your repairs(if you happened to purchase a snap ring tranny the fix is 2000.00)and driving a severely beaten NSX at that.I have never ever heard of any NSX w/ as many problems as yours.
IMO 2001/2002/2004/1994 Vipers are junk.
I spoke to a Viper owner that related to me that his targa roof ALSO flew off on the expressway at 100mph.Whell thats just lovely.Cant wait to drop some cash on one of those bad boys.This is the 4th' Viper owner that has told me the same story.Every 3500 miles you need to make sure the cam lock are not opening otherwise you'll lose your roof.Give me a break.Or at least 40 or 50 extra roofs and a team of lawyers on retainer w/ the car so I can keep the lawsuits away.

C'mon Please spare me all that crap about that she used to be a prostitute and now is a responsible mother and wife.

Just my opinon.LOL as I watched my friend lose his targa on the way back from Vegas in a rain storm. DAAAA sure I'll take one of those ,make it two in size 9 1/2 wide please!!LOL

------------------

mynsx,
who do you know that has a 2004?
rolleyes.gif

you can get a new trans. for 2k
rolleyes.gif

my viper is a coupe,thats the GTS model
tongue.gif

mynsx,
who do you know that has a 2004?

you can get a new trans. for 2k.

my viper is a coupe,thats the GTS model.

-No-one has a 2004 exept the factory.
This is obvious.Other than the factory.
My point is that even if it were the 2004/2005/2006 etc.
PS.... I am looking foward to the GT-40 also,that I agree would be a car I'll concider.

-If you actually had a snap ring tranny and didn't neglect to swap out the snap ring and trans-case that cost would be 2000.00-2200.00.
(You are correct about the 6000.00-6200.00 But thats what I paid for a new clutch/trans-case/ring and pinion/short gears/and 455 gears.)

-I'm not impressed by the GTS model/nor-snake/nor-venom/I have seen and driven all of them and felt they were all crude and un-refined.

I made the mistake of acting somewhat immature in the "text" and will make an effort to be more diplomatic in my opinions.
So put that RAZZ TONGUE back in your head..LOL

------------------

most of those problems listed are not from abuse,but are common w/ '92 models like snap ring etc...
and yes i was raped by my dealers,no choice unless i move to mark b's town.
the snap ring was replaced by previous owner $4800 i have the bill,same local acura dealer.
that same dealer i paid $100 for 100 point inspection,car passed w/ no problems.very clean well maintained nsx.i decided to buy the car and have them go ahead w/ the 60k service,they quoted me $1100.two days later they called and said the bill is $2500,they forgot that the tim. belt/pump needed to be done at the same time.that was my first experience w/ my nsx.
all was fine,replaced simple items like hatch stuts and torn visor which is quite common.then after a long summer the a/c was not as cold as it was so i took it in to dealer.they called that day and said my evap. was bad.i reseached this forum/faq,went to the dealer and asked how they knew it was the evap.,there reply was it was common,no leak test was done!they wanted $2400 to replace it!i then asked for advice on this forum and i was told to take it to the only other dealer in my area i speak to very nice sales person,Ron Stafford.i met w/ Ron and the manager,they told me they wanted my buss. and if my car did indeed need an evap. after the proper leak test were done they would charge same as MARK B. as printed in ROAD & TRACK june issue,about $1100.they could not find a leak after filling the system w/ feon and dye after two days,but in the mean time the service writer had put an order in for an evap. just in case my needed it,she found out that the other dealer had the evap.
she had worked for the other dealership and was friends with the service manager.this is what happened next,she called me and said they found a small leak and it needed the evap. and it would cost $2400 to fix!
mad.gif

i drove right up there to hear her bad mouth Ron,that sales people shouldn't get involved w/ service because they don't know anything about mech. work.btw Ron has a nsx also!took my car to my uncle only to find out that the system was a little low on freon and the compressor will shut off so it doesn't burn up!the a/c has worked great every since!
so that was my experience w/ dealers!

Originally posted by randall:
the snap ring was replaced by previous owner

So you are indeed listing all the problems that your car experienced in ten years with multiple owners.

BTW, one more item - I've never heard of anyone going through a set of front tires in 6K miles, and $800 is way too much for just a pair of rears.

If you take out all the overcharges and questionable items and amounts, I bet you would be hard-pressed to find a '92 Viper with similar mileage who had had fewer problems over the ten-year life of his car as your NSX...

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 05 April 2002).]

ken you are right,i woudn't even consider an older viper.the y2k gts i got has a warranty till '07 complete drivetrain.BTW i still think the NSX is a great car,if i had the space i would have kept mine!i need a six car garage as it is,only have three.also i would like to add that this nsx site great i could have been really skrewed if it were not for the info/help i have rec'd,even you personally Ken!THANK YOU!i'm sure i'll have another nsx someday and hope to meet most of all you guys at a future expo!i would also like to personally thank LUD!you are the MAN!

ilya,
you should see how much smoke a 335-30 on 18x13 rims can produce
biggrin.gif

she called me and said they found a small leak and it needed the evap. and it would cost $2400 to fix! <http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/mad.gif>

That repair at Marks shop is 1,200.00.I figured hell it's 10years old,I live in AZ,and if you've ever seen the nightmare of a job it is you would puke..
I saw a picture posted here on this sight.
Kinda looks like our slab leaks we do in houses under the concrete in the middle of the kitchen,LESS THE PILE OF DIRT and RUBBLE.

------------------

Viper is really a brute force car...not a high tech wonder like many of the Japanese supercars. I personally love them from the outside, but as soon as you get inside them...the thrill is gone.

When you consider how large the motor actually is, I don't think it's THAT impressive what kind of power they make...but the torque is reallly something.
smile.gif

------------------
Steve Theodore
1995 Supra TT hardtop BPU+++
<A HREF="http://www.onlinespeedshop.com/stevet/supra.htm" TARGET=_blank>
My Supra web page</A>
Click here to visit the Supra TT hardtop registry

steve,
your supra has twin turbos,the vipers that have had twin turbos added run the 1/4 mile in the 9's,not to bad for a street car.
wink.gif

"In a head-to-head match up of tire-shredding horsepower against high-flying afterburner thrust, the new 500 hp Dodge Viper SRT-10 challenged the United States Air Force's leading multi-role fighter in acceleration trials held this past weekend at Luke Air Force Base in Glendale, Arizona.
The event was held March 23-24, as part of the annual Luke Days air show. TBS Superstation "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" television series was on hand to tape the race. The program will air the outcome of the race July 10.

"It was an absolutely awesome ride," said Herb Helbig, Senior Manager, Vehicle Synthesis, Performance Vehicle Operations (PVO) at DaimlerChrysler Corp. "Ripley's got us racing the jet both times -- with and without afterburners -- using the Dodge Viper SRT-10 and the Competition Coupe. There were almost 140,000 people in attendance, and they were all lining the fences cheering their hearts out for their favorite Viper."

Billed as "Viper vs. Viper," the race pitted car against jet in a side-by-side, standing-start, 1/2-mile drag race on parallel air base runways. Dodge Vipers raced the F-16 -- nicknamed the "Viper" -- to the speed at which the jet became airborne: approximately 150 mph. The Dodge Viper covered the course in around 15 seconds.

In the "tale of the tape," the F-16 boasts approximately 25,000 pounds of thrust in a compact, 19,000-pound package capable of more than 1,500 mph. In comparison, the Dodge Viper touts 500-plus pound-feet of torque, 3357-pound curb weight and 190-mph top speed."

"It was a chance for us to have a little fun," added Helbig. "We're proud of the Dodge Viper's performance capabilities, and this was a chance to race for bragging rights against one of the few things capable of matching the Viper's acceleration."

can't stop mashing the pedal,my fuel consuption trippled!

Back