Track day at MSR Houston -- Anyone interested?

I'm interested depending on the date.

I am leaving for Turkey July 3rd

From the original thread:

"I am seeking preliminary feedback for those interested in a track-day at MSR Houston. (Dates TBD....but probably late June or early to mid July 2006).

This is Houston's premiere 2.4 mile 17 turn road course. (This was briefly/formerly known as "Houston Motorsports Ranch") now owned by Mercedes-Benz of Sugar Land, TX.

For those of you have never experienced this track it is a very impressive, new road course which just opened Winter 2005. I am hoping this post will generate a reasonably accurate head-count regarding "genuinely" interested parties. (Please.... don't toss you name in unless you foresee a legitimate participation level).

Okay to the details: This would be strictly a "driving-event" vs. any kind of competition or actual road racing thing. The majority of people who will ultimately participate in this event will be novice drivers with expensive cars that need to come home in one piece. All passing would be done via acknowledged "wave-ons" as to promote a very safe environment for all. The track itself by its design is a very wide open and safe road course. Other than the barriers in turns 16 and 17 there are no track-side obstacles to consider. Those turns can be easily and safely negotiated by lowering your entering speeds.

There will be a brief classroom session prior to any driving with a MSR-H certified course instructor to learn all the track rules and general do's-and-don'ts to keep everyone and their car safe. If you want to take your expertise to the next level these instructors will be on hand throughout our rental period for personal instruction should anyone want to hire by the hour.

The way this works:

We (as a group) would rent the track for either a Half, or a Full day. Once rented, the track is then ours to use at our disposal with some reasonable track rules. The projected costs are as follows: (I will be able to be more accurate on the costs after seeing what kind of interest this post generates )

Approx 25 drivers: We would do a half day rental and costs would be approx $195 /driver for 4 hours track disposal.
Approx 30 drivers: We would do a half day rental and costs would be approx $165/driver for 4 hours track disposal.
Approx 50 drivers: We would do a full day rental and costs would be approx $175/driver for 8 hours track disposal.
Approx 60 drivers: We would do a full day rental and costs would be approx $145/driver for 8 hours track disposal.
(60 drivers is the track cut off and that would require a full day rental).

Should this event attract adequate participation, there will be a MSR sponsored PayPal account that each individual will transfer funds into for track rental payment. There is 10% deposit required to secure track once this thing is deemed a "Go".

So should we have a large turn-out would 50-60 cars be on the track at one time? No. We could easily organize 20 min groups (per skill level if necessary) That would put 15-20 cars (max) on the track at any given time which is very doable (and safe) on a 2.4 mile road course. This will be a very hot time of the year so most drivers will only stay on the track 15-30 mins at a time anyway and take a long break to let their cars cool as they socialize or whatever.

With all the Corvette enthusiasts in the Houston area alone (3 large Corvette Clubs here) seems participation wouldn't be a problem. This will be my first track-day to help organize here so time will tell.

Regarding inclement weather, unless there is an actual "weather-event" washing out most of the day, it is pretty much a rain or shine scenario.

Here is the track website with course info. Take a spin around it with all the good photos inside.
http://www.msrhouston.com/msrhouston/homepage.asp

So are you finally ready (or ready again) to track that Corvette? Come take advantage of this 2.4 mile road course just waiting for you. Our little group name is "Club Gear Grinders" and we are looking for members. Hopefully this will be the start of something cool in the future with regard renting this facility. So interested parties toss your name in the hat and I'll start a little roster.

Regards
Reid
a.k.a Bone Daddy

PS....I will be checking this thread regularly but often it won't be a daily thing. Thanks"

------------------------------
"My girl has a C6 convertible. I have an NSX.

Since you are not having a huge response, would you agree to let me ask the NSX users here if Houston if they would be interested?

We participate over at NSXPRIME.com.

Thanks,

JM"
-------------------------------
"Hey Johnny hell why not! Bring those NSX's on. Lets do this thing.

Bone"

OK, maybe just this once...that's what the car is best at..right! :biggrin:

Date will be the determining factor as well.

Say it aint so Sam

I could've sworn at that happy hour you weren't interested in tracking the car. The end of the world must be approaching

:biggrin:

Wow Sam .. that's definitely good news! Great to have you join us on the track .. hehe .. :biggrin::biggrin:

If you haven't done a few HPDE's then I wouldn't recommend doing it this way(instruction is optional).

Having said that - If sam goes - I am going. I have done that track once and wouldn't mind going at it again.

Update

"Update.

Hi Guys we are slowly (but surely) making some ground here. Here are some details you've been waiting for, sorry for the delay.

* Date: Saturday July 22nd. (9am until 1pm). This is a rain or shine event. (If it is a true wash-out MSR-Houston will reschedule for us)

* 1/2 day track costs are approx $4800.00. I am shooting for 25 drivers, so plan on $200 per driver for 1/2 day.

* Registration and Payment will be made directly to the MSR-Houston site. Soon we will appear on their calendar under "Gear Grinders Club". You will click on that and then register and pay on an individual basis. Once our event is listed on the MSRH calendar, click on our link, then: "Register Now", "Add to Cart" and then pay with a Credit Card. (This is a secured site) http://www.msrhouston.com/msrhouston/calendar.aspx

* Convertibles require some kind of roll-protection. I.E Roll-cage, Roll-bar, Hoops, etc. (Sorry no stock Corvette Verts allowed)

* Helmet Required for all drivers and passengers. You can drive with as many passenger(s) as much as you'd like.

* There will be track instructors on site should anyone want to take driving classes.

* Premium and racing fuel is available at track for very reasonable prices.

So at this juncture I've counted approx 16 possibilities that I'd like to narrow down. Time for genuinely interested people to step up. No-shows will affect pricing.

Thanks, Reid aka Bone-D"

The only reason I would come would be see other NSX's at the track. Soooo- how many NSX drivers are going?

btw, those who are new to the track are more than welcome to take a ride in my car.

Ritesh

This date works for me. I will be back in time for this.

As for helmets, you have to wear a helmet anytime on the track.

4 confirmed.

Waiting on Beckertb, Fastrunner, and SamBel. You guys in?

Also, anyone else interested, chime in.

Soon, I will shoot our names over on the forum and we can make payment a little later in June.

JM

Yes, you absolutely must wear a helmet at the track. I would recommend reading the FAQ section to famialize yourself with what to expect prior to your first track event.

I would definetly flush my brake fluid or atleast make sure that it is relatively new(less than 1 year) if you haven't tracked your car before. Also, make sure your tires are in good condition. Its a lot more fun when your tires are working for you, not against you.

Johnny - who are 4 so far. Lets have atleast 6-7 NSX's there if we can.

I think the 4 are :
- johnny010
- DVDoughboy
- NSXLuvr
- bsudiro

Am I correct ??

BTW, .. I got my 'basic' helmet from The Drivers edge, .. they should suffice for basic HPDE-s like this.

Cheers .. Gus

I'm a complete novice so I don't think I'll participate, but I may drive out there to watch and learn something if that's OK..If I can get the day off ;)

Johnny,
Saw your post on Corvette forum about the helmet. No, motorcycle helmet is different, you need a SNELL SA2000 or SA2005 approved helmet at least.

If you do a search on helmet here, you should find plenty of threads discussing them, including how to measure the proper helmet size that you may need. This thread is one of them.

Cheers .. Gus

you can check with MSR - they usually have helmets for rent IIRC. I know that MSR - FW does.

bsudiro - yes you are correct on the list

As for the helmet, thanks guys. I called MSRHOUSTON to check on rental prices and they have both open and closed face for the same price, $25 per day (do not reduce the price for half a day...)

Unlemming, we would be glad to have you. Really, novice or not, this is going to be a safe, fun event everyone can enjoy.

Beckertb, Fastrunner, and SamBel: Any updates from you guys? Bone over at the vette forum is asking for names.

I've given our names out already:

- johnny010
- DVDoughboy
- NSXLuvr
- bsudiro

Anyone who is on the fence with this one, join in, it is going to be a lot of fun, and safe to boot. A perfect place for the NSX's for half a day.

Looking for initial responses from: Wheelman, Paul, NXS FoYoAss, Modernceo, Ojas.

Last edited:
Back