Top Gear: C6 Corvette video (drag race with NSX)

Re: I'm still waiting the download's being complete

NSXDreamer2 said:
anyway,

Please note that the Best Motorsing Drag testing is 0-400meters... so the time should look much better than your normal 1/4 mile times...

1/4 mile = 402.3173 meter

If you are traveling at 100mph at the end of the 400m mark, it takes 0.0521 second additional to get to the 1/4 mark.

Yes, on paper the vette has more power/weight than the NSX, HOWEVER, some of you are forgetting a few things:

It takes a GREAT driver to drive a Vette or a Viper to its potential because of all that torque! 60' times are hard to master in those cars! Great launches are hard too.

The NSX is a MR car with all that weight on the back tires...traction isn't a problem...we can launch at 4000rpms and spin the littlest bit and rip off 1.9's in the 60' bone stock.

The vette is statistically faster and should be...its got 110more hp at the fly and probably 95-100hp or so more at teh wheels (we lose less power with the MR format), but our car still runs right there with them.

If you see a guy driving a vette on the road and race him, and are both equally talented drivers, you'll most likely win because he'll spin that torque monster all over! (note: not so skilled drivers required! :D )

The NSX is my pick, but in the 1/4 mile, with a great driver, the vette should dominate.

reading the thread on the vette forums is pretty funny...they don't seem to realize the drag race was probably done several times to get enough good footage...they think it's all the same race and are criticizing the part where it looks like the nsx isn't in the race. :p

I enjoyed that review. Only the brits wil tell it like it is. The american mags all kiss the vettes ass.

I am surprised that the NSX beat the vette though! Great driving there! C&D tested the C6 @ 0-60 in 4.3 and 1/4 12.7 @ 113. That is certainly faster than ANY stock NSX. 97+ (02-04 is THE SAME)

The vette guys sure are pissed to see their car come in 3rd. :) I love how they say it is biased. Hell, watch the top gear NSX-R review -- they TRASH it. I wish they would have run that red NSX on the track in the dry to get a real time. The NSX-R was run in the WORST weather I have ever seen them test in.

And you guys do realise that they do a few takes of everything..

edit: guilty of not reading ...

NSX/MR2 said:
On average, the time for the NSX is better than the time for the C5 Vette.

This simply isnt true. It's actually pretty ignorant for you to make the statement at all. How many NSXs do you see at drag strips? How many of the 8000 or so NSXs in existance actually live at the drag strip?

Now how many Vettes do you see? Throughout the history of the C5, do you think any of us can even guess how many Vettes have shown up at the strip?

On the Corvette Forum alone, there are hundreds of guys that can show you stacks of time slips in the twelves on bone stock C5s.

With the NSX, we don't have enough people who GO to the drag strip (the NSX is not a drag car), to make a fair comparison.

We can, however, go by the magazine times since those represent pro drivers testing the car for performance. How many of THOSE times are in the 12s? Not meny.

So combining what you and Brian2by2 said, we have the following scenario:

1-Vette-hard to launch, lots of torque, not easy to get the most out of it, tons and tons of sub 13 sec timeslips from stock cars with AMATEUR drivers.

2-NSX-easier to launch, much less torque, easier to get the most out of it, a near TOTAL ABSENCE of sub 13 sec timeslisp from PROFESSIONAL drivers.

What is it about this that you arent able to comprehend? When you state that "on average, the NSX is obviously a faster drag car than the Corvette C5" you sound pretty crazy, just to let you know...

GOOD GOD - I don't what more entertaining. You two going at it or the Vette guys getting their panties twisted.:D :D

Last edited:
road and track

The "real" NSX reaches 60 mph in 5.0 sec. and the quarter mile in 13.4 at 105.9 mph. Its zero-to-100-mph time is 12.0 sec.

that was of the 03 model I believe.

and then reading stats from the 99 c5 hard top they paced it doing the quarter in 13.6 @ 107.3 mph, and reaching from 0-100 in 11.7 seconds.

It looks like a leval field to me. :shrug:

Driver's race.

new vette

This just in!

'Vette 05 mule spotted on test track in Detroit.
super secret spy photo of "Hestonion" rear end.

image_02.gif

this just in:

All aluminum double wishbone vs. leafsprings?

C'mon, take a joke fercryingoutloud!

A nice vette on a nice day is a great experience. so is an NSX.

Find a funny pix of an NSX and I'll laugh too!

Man this thread got ugly!;) Can I just post one observation? I've never owned a Corvette, I do own an NSX so obviously I made my choice, but take the British auto journalists with a grain of salt. They absolutely bash anything American and always have. I seriously think they are some of the most overtly biased 'media' types out there. I hate seeing these car reviews where they fall back on all the standard slams, 'Oh the plastic is cheap, the interior is trash, blah, blah, blah.' It would be the same as every Elise review ending with 'It'll be fun until the Lucas electrics burn it to the ground' Just old stereotypes and poor reporting. Anyhoo my .02. Now back to the great drag racing debate:p

Nate

I agree with Big Nate. The overstated Britts bash the USA way too much. the eurotrash really comes out in the interview. I have traveled to England many,many times in my life and the impression I'm always left with is one of disdain for anything American.

BTW-My Dad owned an original 67 Jag XKE convert. It spent more time in the shop than on the road. The video is someones idea of a tech test, when in reality it's the concoction of some pasty skinned britts reacting upon emotion without the benefit of intellect.

image_01.gif

My daily driver

Last edited:
Big_nate said:
Man this thread got ugly!;) Can I just post one observation? I've never owned a Corvette, I do own an NSX so obviously I made my choice, but take the British auto journalists with a grain of salt.

Not in this case: Jeremy had great opinions about the FordGT. He also bought one for personal use (one of the 27 that will reach the UK).

What they do is bashing (sometime exagerating) what they feel deserves to be bashed: the look of the BMW 7-serie, the build quaility of the TVR, the softness of the Maseratis... and the leaf suspension of Charlton Heston's chariot! :p

Why is everyone jus talking about the drag race? I haven't seen the video clip posted, as I watched the whole TV program. Is there a section in the video clip where they took the Corvette round the track?

The drag race had four different drivers. The track section is always done by the same driver, 'Stig'. After everything they said about the Corvette, it posted a fairly respectable time, close to an Elise (or Exige, can't remember), and an EVO.

I also saw the entire episode on BBC but the clip posted above contains the entire track lap.

I am a bit surprised that of the many laps the Stig performed (they normally do between 10 and 15 laps) they took one with wheelspin and where he drove out of the track with the front.

Or maybe the used those parts to show the characteristics of the car but the laptime was done on a "clean" lap.

I think the point of showing the stig running out on the track is that the handling is good but it's not perfect, raw power made up a lot of time in the race and covered up most problems he may have had with handling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/powerlaps/

anyone know why the vette is now way above the evo? what was the time posted in the video?

Sucks that the NSX-R time was in the rain...really not representative of the car and most other power laps..oh well

satan_srv said:
so that was the previous gen Z06 time then?

I don't think they ever tested a Z06 on the track. The fastest car has been the Carerra GT @ 1:19.

I am confident that given the same conditions the NSX-R would outlap the C6, but not by much. The NSX-R should be faster through every corner, but would lose ground on the long straight where the C6 can flex that 400 HP.

It would have been nice if they had given the times of the quarter mile race. I have a feeling they pulled a mid 13 in the vette. C&D TV ran a 12.7 @ 113 MPH. No stock NSX can touch that MPH. Even a comptech SC would be close. I know someone who just took their 92 CTSC to the strip and ran a 12.7 @ 110.

Last edited:
bottom line, who the hell cares?!

I rather be sitting in a NSX period. It's not all about 1/4 mile times in the "real" world, how many of you have played w/ a c5 on the road only to watch it back the way off around a nice sweeper :)

THonda said:

I rather be sitting in a NSX period. It's not all about 1/4 mile times in the "real" world, how many of you have played w/ a c5 on the road only to watch it back the way off around a nice sweeper :)

With the Z51 suspension package, they say the C6 will have near Z06 performance around a track. They sure won't need to back off in a nice sweeper if we don't.

But I agree, I would rather be sitting in the NSX. It is an exotic car vs a mass produced sports car. I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing a C6 on every street corner. I also wonder what this will do for resale values of C5's. If the Z06 falls to 25K for an 02, that would be an incredible deal.

THonda said:

I rather be sitting in a NSX period. :)

Could not have said it better myself!!!!!!!!! :D

Back