Top Gear: C6 Corvette video (drag race with NSX)

NetViper said:
I don't think they ever tested a Z06 on the track. The fastest car has been the Carerra GT @ 1:19.

I am confident that given the same conditions the NSX-R would outlap the C6, but not by much. The NSX-R should be faster through every corner, but would lose ground on the long straight where the C6 can flex that 400 HP.

It would have been nice if they had given the times of the quarter mile race. I have a feeling they pulled a mid 13 in the vette. C&D TV ran a 12.7 @ 113 MPH. No stock NSX can touch that MPH. Even a comptech SC would be close. I know someone who just took their 92 CTSC to the strip and ran a 12.7 @ 110.

And I know of many Comptech car that ran low 12s with Comptech, exhaust, and intake. A SC NSX, hahaha - Making such a ludicrous statement! Go into the FI forum and look for posts by "Plassjo" and NSXTASYMD" to see their time for the Comptech NSX.

The Corvette's suspension is a double wishbone design, just like the NSX. I don't know how the Force-displacement curve of a transverse leaf differs from that of a coil spring but I suspect it's similar.

My guess is that the transverse leaf offers an advantage in that the weight of the spring is kept lower than with the coil over design in our cars.

The comments in the video may have led some to think the car had a solid axle/leaf spring design...which couldn't be further from the truth.

The Corvette may not suit everyone's tastes but there no denying it's a very capable car.

Attachments

• rearsuspension.jpg
    rearsuspension.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 920
NSX/MR2 said:
And I know of many Comptech car that ran low 12s with Comptech, exhaust, and intake. A SC NSX, hahaha - Making such a ludicrous statement! Go into the FI forum and look for posts by "Plassjo" and NSXTASYMD" to see their time for the Comptech NSX.

Maybe they let you back in too soon.

MIR (Maryland international Raceway) ; I saw this at Midnight madness a couple of fridays ago.

03 Z06 Vette **I/H/E mods**vs. 91' NSX "low-boost" CTSC H/E

[email protected] (Vette) vs. [email protected] (NSX)

This was on a humid 82 degree summer night (which hurts a non-intercooled F/I set-up worst) ;)

sabashioyaki said:
Maybe they let you back in too soon.

Maybe there is difference after all, and maybe you don't have to respect my opinion, nor should I. However, this is a free country where we all have our own beliefs and thinking. Up to me, I think your time here is a waist to yoursef and everyone else.

NSX/MR2 said:
Maybe there is difference after all, and maybe you don't have to respect my opinion, nor should I, but this is a free country where we all have our own beliefs and thinking.

Quick question, no arguement indended, but have you raced your cars at a dragstrip and if so, what where your time slips.

Animate brings up a good point. I do not understand why the reviewers kept knocking the spring design; unless it’s simply a cheap attempt to make the design seem archaic to those who don’t know better.

the NSX, the NSX-R and NSX-S are jokes - slow as hell...no way they even come close to any of those cars. the whole thing is a joke.

-from the all-knowing vette forums.

Nsx's aren't fast, they are jokes!.............Evidently:D

I feel the majority of the members on this board are relatively non-biased and can admit to their cars shortcomings. This is why I like this board so much; the members here generally do not exhibit a superiority complex and are true sports car enthusiasts. The majority of us own an NSX because of its overall blend of performance, quality and exotic looks that can't be matched by the competition. I love my NSX!

As a previous member of the C5 and ZO6 boards; I can say that there was a lot more testosterone floating around on those forums. However, there were lots of true enthusiasts and gearheads that provided a wealth of knowledge at the same time. I find it humorous to see the majority of the members getting extremely defensive to the Top Gear comments. I have to say I was extremely suprised, but pleased to see the NSX out run the C6 in the four way drag race.

I just received the latest Motor Trend magazine and they tested the new C6 with the following results:

0-60: 4.3 sec
0-100: 10.2 sec
12.7@ 112.3 mph
Factory claimed top speed 186 mph!

You make your own conclusions.

Last edited:
One thing i don't understand from that video is the reviewers say all the cars in that drag line-up are evenly matched. But if the vette is 400HP and the NSX is ~300HP, how is that even? :confused: And for the NSX to dominate the vette, doesn't the lower HP's make that win all the more significant?

Top Gear was playing very loose with the drag race. Basically they were saying "these cars are competitors". The Vette had a big HP advantage over both the NSX *and* the 911 and the TVR had a better power to weight ratio than anything on the line by far.

The Vette lost the race to wheelspin; its as easy as that. Is that fair? Who knows... Wheelspin is a reality of a high tq car, though, and most people who drive a Vette are NOT going to be able to reproduce Motortrends 1/4 mile times without a LOT of practice, so I think the representation was fair.

The fact is, the lower tq number on ALL of the other cars leads to less wheelspin.

Selective video footage:

http://www.granturismox.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4541
Some people on Pistonheads forum were there and apparently the drag race was filmed numerous times, and also with a C6 that the crew had already ruined the clutch, damaged the bodywork and stripped the tyres of tread

and

Members of the Corvette forum and Pistonheads forum were actually present during filming, and also spoke to the GM rep afterwards who was less than happy with the state they were given the car back in. They also witnessed numerous drag races being filmed, most of which had the C6 closely tailing the TVR. The TVR always won (it should as it weighs the same as a crisp packet) but the one shown was a mish mash of various runs and the worst showing for the car.

The NSX won because that was the carefully scripted end Clarkson wanted. He even went so far as to wreck the clutch and tires on C6. Add in that his "professional" driver kept creating wheelspin so that the car wouldn't launch well.

Multiple races were filmed and only the one with the NSX coming in 2nd made it to TV.

I drive a completely stock LS1 Camaro SS and in the 2 races I've had with different NSXs, it was a clear draw. Both cars neck and neck to over 110 mph. I find it hard to believe that a Corvette with 55 more hp and less weight could lose to one with large driver errors being committed.

spookyp said:
The Vette lost the race to wheelspin; its as easy as that. Is that fair? Who knows... Wheelspin is a reality of a high tq car, though, and most people who drive a Vette are NOT going to be able to reproduce Motortrends 1/4 mile times without a LOT of practice, so I think the representation was fair.

I agree with your comments. However, from a roll the C6 will more than likely walk on a stock NSX IMHO. Not that it matters, since I would much rather be driving the NSX, than a C6 with an interior designed by NASA and a Vietnamese suspension. I think those guys at Top Gear have a great sense of humor. :)

However, the new C6 is a very impressive sports car for its cheap entry price of $45-50k. The C6 ZO6 is going to be a monster when it arrives! In fact, I am anxiously awaiting the new ZO6 as a possible candidate for my next project/track car.

Last edited:
Tannim said:

The NSX won because that was the carefully scripted end Clarkson wanted. He even went so far as to wreck the clutch and tires on C6. Add in that his "professional" driver kept creating wheelspin so that the car wouldn't launch well.

Multiple races were filmed and only the one with the NSX coming in 2nd made it to TV.

I drive a completely stock LS1 Camaro SS and in the 2 races I've had with different NSXs, it was a clear draw. Both cars neck and neck to over 110 mph. I find it hard to believe that a Corvette with 55 more hp and less weight could lose to one with large driver errors being committed.

If this is true the Corvette community seems to have something to be worked up about. No doubt the corvette is a great performer, but there are a great deal more to cars than just timeslips.

Tannim said:

...Another "conspiracy theory" by a new, "one-post wonder" nonetheless. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (Obviously this one hurt the "good-ol" boys were it counts, lol)

I don't see the big deal...big torque, big wheel-spin, big 60ft #'s (meaning slow off the line)

Wrecked the clutch," "wretched the tires" !?!? ROFL...how does one stratigically "wreck" a brand new clutch (possible) or brand new RUN-FLAT tires (practically impossible*) for the drag event. Lets not go overboard here...the new vette lost, live with it. Your "camaro" would of probably lost by even worst (under the same circumstaces, type of launch) Not insenuating the NSX and 911 are *conclusively* faster than the NEW corvettes in the "straight line"...but no "conspiracy" either, LOL. God knows Top gear has NEVER been the biggest fan of the NSX's either...which always threatened their BELOVED 911's.**

Originally posted by Tannim

Members of the Corvette forum and Pistonheads forum were actually present during filming, and also spoke to the GM rep afterwards who was less than happy with the state they were given the car back in. They also witnessed numerous drag races being filmed, most of which had the C6 closely tailing the TVR. The TVR always won (it should as it weighs the same as a crisp packet) but the one shown was a mish mash of various runs and the worst showing for the car.

...and not one of these people had a camera?

I was ecstatic when I saw the video, but truly do believe the C6 wasn't pushed as hard as it could've been when they dropped the clutch. The NSX accelerating that fast was nice to see but not surprising. The 911 and C6 not catching up as quick as they should have is what's surprising. I don't know eneough about TVRs to make an acurate assesment there.

I do know this, Clarkson and former host Tiff Needel are very biased. You need to take some of the things they say with a grain of salt. Clarkson likes but doesn't love the NA1 NSX from the first review Top Gear did on it. They've been very biased against it and make fun of it ever since this new guy did a review on the Type R.

I have no question with equal drivers and starts, the C6 would leave a NSX in the dust. But it sure was fun to watch the NSX win :)

NetViper said:
I have no question with equal drivers and starts, the C6 would leave a NSX in the dust. But it sure was fun to watch the NSX win :)

I got a big kick out of seeing the C6 getting dusted. I'm just glad they didn't run a standing mile comparison. ;)

NetViper said:
If the Z06 falls to 25K for an 02, that would be an incredible deal.
That's exactly why it won't happen -- I'd guess there's lots of demand at the $30K price point. Seems that some of the Corvette enthusiasts do not consider a C6 a step up from a 2004 C5.

The real bottom line

"The Stig" can't drive for $hit.

and ...

Weren't they a little over the top bashing the Corvette? Didn't it just win the mother of all European races, The 24 Hours of Le Mans? And yes, the C5R/C5/C6 Corvettes are VERY similar.

skyguy said:
I agree with Big Nate.

Me too.

Did you see the NSX-R clip? Same story, pick on the (exaggerated) negatives of the car, and then breifly mention the positives at the end. Clarkson's a prick.

For the example the drag race: Are to we assume that a C6 can be equally compared to cars of equal power in all other respects? You should compare it to cars of equal COST, not power.

Also, the NON performance version of this car posts a lap time better than a GT3 when it is (arguably) poorly driven? Not too bad in my book.

The show was designed to be controversial first and truthful second. In my opinion, it succeeded.

White94 said:
Also, the NON performance version of this car posts a lap time better than a GT3 when it is (arguably) poorly driven? Not too bad in my book.

Keep in mind that the GT3 time was on a wet track I believe. They generally estimate a car would have been 3-4 seconds quicker on a dry track.

Tannim said:

This is literally the saddest, most ignorant, statement I've heard on the whole topic.

So Top Gear is involved in a massive conspiracy to make the NSX appear mightier then the Vette?

HAHAHAHAHAHA.. ok... have you EVER seen Top Gear? I watch Top Gear every time I am in the UK and download all the clips. I get the mag as well.

Top Gear dumps all OVER the NSX. Your idiot conspiracy MIGHT make sense if the Porsche were ahead, but with the NSX, you've got NO argument at all.

I love how conspiracy theories can be based on utter stupidity and just perpetuate and perpetuate and perpetuate anyhow.

Top Gear choosing to put the NSX in a better light than the 911 when they EVEN SAID IN THE SHOW THAT "EUROPE DOESNT NEED THE VETTE BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE 911" really takes the cake.

I just saw MotorTrend mag tests on C6.

12.7@112mph There's no way any stock nsx will pull that time.

Back