The NSX Regret thread

Buying a used transmission here on prime that had obvious main bearing issues once the car was started up. "drove 100miles the day before I took it out"

On the bright side I have confidence to do a clutch job after having to do it 3x now.

[edit] I should also mention that because of this I got to try out the two local "NSX gurus" and had GREAT luck with one of them

Last edited:
My only regret is buying a 996TT while still owning my NSX. Now my NSX rarely gets driven because it feels dated compared to a newer Porsche. Damm you Porsche...Why do you have to make such a fast car straight out of the box.

Ok, i'll chime in with the following:

1. Not owning my own personal private garage. I share an indoor facility at my condo, and therefore constantly worry about nosy neighbors, dings and lack of "wrenching space"

2. Not meeting Barnman until AFTER buying my NSX

3. Taking it to my first DE track event and getting HOOKED! So now, i'm on the lookout for a second NSX to keep nice and tucked away

I regret not doing a Compression and Leakdown test before buying my second NSX.

I regret selling my S2000 to get the NSX. It would have been tough financially to keep both an S2K and an X but I wish I could have found a way. I love the NSX but there are things about the S driving experience that the NSX just can't replace. Maybe I'll buy an old cheap miata.

i regret buying koni shocks and h&r springs...should have went coilovers in the beginning

i regret not doing more research before buying stoptechs on offset and wheel fitment

i regret running over my old oem exhaust tips when it was on the garage floor

i regret driving on the ice a couple years ago in the nsx. not a pleasant outcome.

My only regret is buying a 996TT while still owning my NSX. Now my NSX rarely gets driven because it feels dated compared to a newer Porsche. Damm you Porsche...Why do you have to make such a fast car straight out of the box.

Without getting into details let's just say a 425rwhp SO SC NSX has laid waste to 3 996TT. The results on the first time surprised the owner of the NSX. Other 2 victims displayed similar results.

I regret selling my S2000 to get the NSX. It would have been tough financially to keep both an S2K and an X but I wish I could have found a way. I love the NSX but there are things about the S driving experience that the NSX just can't replace. Maybe I'll buy an old cheap miata.

i sold my ap2 s2k for a na2 nsx i dont regret it at all ... :redface:

i regret not buying some mugen m7s wheels :smile:

I regret spending money on an '00 suspension for my '91. The ride height was way too high. I also regret trying to warn people not to make my same mistake because they invariably do it anyhow.

Funny you mention this because I'm in the process of doing the same. I will sell my '06 GPW, use the cash plus some savings to purchase an NSX. I'll most likely have to borrow a little to cover the difference. I know I'm going to miss the S2000, but I vow to own another one in the near future :wink:

Given the purpose of this thread is for others (maybe especially new owners) to learn from our experiences and "think twice"...

I regret walking away from my NSX blissfully unaware that I left my key in the key hole for the trunk (I picture knowing looks from many of you). Luckily it was still there when I returned. I now have a hard rule about it always going immediately into my pocket after unlatching the trunk.

I regret endorsing a friend's decision to buy an aftermarket clutch (with good prime comments) without first driving an NSX with that exact model clutch. He doesn't like it (I don't either). I now firmly believe a clutch is one of those "try before you buy" items...even if it means you have to get in an airplane or drive to another state. Another take-away is that as NSX owners we should all feel obligated to let other NSX owners drive our cars to evaluate non-cosmetic subjective items like clutch, exhaust, etc. before they purchase.

I regret that many buyers don't heed my and others' advice to have compression/leak-down test before buying. I regret that many buyers of forced-induction (turbo/supercharger) NSXs don't heed my and others' advice to have them dyno'd to check AF ratio (and power) before buying.

I regret spending money on an '00 suspension for my '91. The ride height was way too high. I also regret trying to warn people not to make my same mistake because they invariably do it anyhow.

Really, ride height is higher? I would have assumed they are the same. Though I can't think of a reason to go to a newer OEM suspension unless it is Type-S or Type-R...this sounds like a good warning to heed.

Last edited:
Without getting into details let's just say a 425rwhp SO SC NSX has laid waste to 3 996TT. The results on the first time surprised the owner of the NSX. Other 2 victims displayed similar results.

But it's not factory reliable, and an FI NSX is not easy to service. Besides, a 996TT X50 like mine has more to it than a base 996TT.

Sorry to go off-topic.

But it's not factory reliable, and an FI NSX is not easy to service. Besides, a 996TT X50 like mine has more to it than a base 996TT.

Sorry to go off-topic.

So 420rwhp with a disconnected front shaft on a X50 package. I guess I'm better with 5 more RWHP and less weight.

Also, since the NSX power band is still linear, I'm not really spending time spinning tires. It accelerates outta the hole as if it has AWD with Z1 tires out back.

I regret that although I have 57,000 miles, I don't drive it more often. I can't bring myself to daily driving it during the nice weather months, and letting it sit outside in my office parking lot. I'd rather keep it "special" and drive it to a "destination" instead of the 5 miles to work.

I bought my 91 in 94 and I regret not buying a 94. Oh wait I change my regret. Sebring Silver was not available in 94. I would have bought black/black then and I love black but I hate washing cars.

Last edited:
I regret ditching my oem console and door trim pieces for aftermarket cf ones. 3 years later I want my oem back!

I also regret not keeping all my oem parts so I may one day go back to stock.

Posted from my iPhone

Like it or not, this is without doubt the BEST THREAD on prime in AGES! Thanks! OP!

Oscar

I regret buying springs and shocks off of a member with no post history and bad communication skills. I should have passed on them after the first few emails. Turns out the rear shocks are blown and he wouldn't give me a refund, while trying to reason that he wasn't at fault. Good thing American Express is getting my money back.

so sell the NSX. the NSX feels dated because it is. it came out, kicked everyone's arse and it didn't change much in 14 years. meanwhile porsche kept improving and battled it out with ferrari... as they continued to push each other to become what they are today.

if i didn't have so much love for old Japanese Supercars, i could easily get a Porsche or Ferrari and i would not look back. these cars are really THAT good. i don't really mod these old cars for insanity of speed, i do it more to make it relevant compared to todays offerings. on the exterior, aside from wheels and a drop, i find them much more attractive than todays supercars, but stock for stock performance they are obsolete.

Sorry folks, gotta disagree. IMHO, the 996 looks very dated. Call me crazy, but the 996 headlight design ruined the front end of the 911. A design can either be timeless or dated- the nsx falls into the former, whereas the 996 falls into the latter. Porsche made a wise decision bringing back the OG timeless/classic headlight design in the 997.

Last edited:
Sorry folks, gotta disagree. IMHO, the 996 looks very dated. Call me crazy, but the 996 headlight design ruined the front end of the 911. A design can either be timeless or dated- the nsx falls into the former, whereas the 996 falls into the latter. Porsche made a wise decision bringing back the OG timeless/classic headlight design in the 997.

i mean i could see how the 99-01 headlights could date the car...but not the 02-05 IMO
ileio2.jpg

sg1utz.jpg

Back