The New Acura NSX - Rendering Confirmed!

Well the question is...can it beat these 2 rivals?

Lexus LFA
Nurbrgring Laptime: 7:14.64

500x_500x_2011_lexus_lfa.jpg

Nissan GT-R
0-60mph: 2.8 seconds

2013-nissan-GT-R-front-right-side-view.jpg

Guess we'll have to wait till they start testing. Just so you know Honda/Ito has already said they're not shooting for low Ring times. If that's the case I wonder if they'll even test on the Ring:confused:

Honda/Ito has already said they're not shooting for low Ring times.

Thisa is the first I've heard of this; where is your source? They said they don't plan to compete with Ferarri but who does these days? The Ring is essential. If they don't go there than I'm not sure what the point is. I don't expect it to be faster than the overpriced LFA or quicker to 60mph than Godzilla. I expect it to be a proper legacy NSX.

Tapaderp

I am a NSX owner.
I am also a S2000 owner. I am blessed.

I drive on the street. I like driving.

I don't buy a car to "cockle doodle doo" about 0-60 times, 1/4 times or "Ring" times.

If I wanted to drive on the track as my focus use I think I would use a different car than either of the ones I own but, I know full well that in stock form, either car is capable of more than I have skills to wrest.
I've said this before that I expect it would take me about 4 years of participating in every HPD school and event I could before I would begin to approach the limit of either of my cars in stock form.

Punching the gas. looking in the rear view mirror for police or the look on the other drivers faces is not my thing, at least not anymore.:redface:

I don't care if the Vette, Viper, GTR, Ferrari or Porsche, etc., owners feel envy or disdain for my sport car choice. If I wanted any of those cars I'd buy one.

My current NSX and S2000 are great fun but they are getting on in age and I want a newer car because I want all that is new. I don't need gobs of more power or bragging rights. I will try to keep my two sports cars because I want to savor the vintage they so well represent.

I like what I am hearing about a new NSX and what I hear about the HP and hybrid goal sound cool. I already want one.I hope the car is made.

I'm use to the idea of people not "getting it" or agreeing with my choice of cars, especially my NSX.

I am a NSX owner and want to be a NEW NSX owner. Plain and simple.:cool:

Last edited:
Well said Joe. I feel the same way. I could afford a new NSX if it came out, but I probably will not get one. Mostly because Mrs. Honcho says I am only allowed to have one sports car and I just can't bear getting rid of my beloved Berlina Black, even if for a new version. Merry Christmas!

I am a NSX owner.

I don't buy a car to "cockle doodle doo" about 0-60 times, 1/4 times or "Ring" times.

If I wanted to drive on the track as my focus use I think I would use a different car than either of the ones I own but, I know full well that in stock form, either car is capable of more than I have skills to wrest.
I've said this before that I expect it would take me about 4 years of participating in every HPD school and event I could before I would begin to approach the limit of either of my cars in stock form.

Punching the gas. looking in the rear view mirror for police or the look on the other drivers faces is not my thing, at least not anymore.:redface:

I don't care if the Vette, Viper, GTR, Ferrari or Porsche, etc., owners feel envy or disdain for my sport car choice. If I wanted any of those cars I'd buy one.

My current NSX and S2000 are great fun but they are getting on in age and I want a newer car because I want all that is new. I don't need gobs of more power or bragging rights. I will try to keep my two sports cars because I want to savor the vintage they so well represent.

I like what I am hearing about a new NSX and what I hear about the HP and hybrid goal sound cool. I already want one.I hope the car is made.

I'm use to the idea of people not "getting it" or agreeing with my choice of cars, especially my NSX.

I am a NSX owner.

Bravo!

Thisa is the first I've heard of this; where is your source? They said they don't plan to compete with Ferarri but who does these days? The Ring is essential. If they don't go there than I'm not sure what the point is. I don't expect it to be faster than the overpriced LFA or quicker to 60mph than Godzilla. I expect it to be a proper legacy NSX.

Tapaderp

LOL I have to start book marking this stuff as it took me about a 1/2 an hour to find:biggrin:
http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1110_acura_nsx_successor_taking_shape/

Another insider tells us the car's target specifications have already been decided. "Honda wants to build a supercar that breaks the mold while creating a totally new technological package," he said. So what we are going to see is a further development of that 2001 concept, but adapted for today's fuel economy and emissions expectations.

It's not a car that rests on its engine-generated power alone. The extra herbs produced by the front-mounted electric motors will make the next-generation NSX a very quick car. "It has to be fast to live up to the expectations of a future NSX, right!?" pleads our insider. He went onto say that a record Nurburgring lap time is not Honda's target. "But be rest assured, this car will be the top in its class, and the powerful engine-motor combination will achieve that result."

This article also says price target is the GTR. I even found this article on price also stating the same thing. Very interested to see what price estimate they give at the autoshow
http://hypebeast.com/2011/10/honda-nsx-to-return/

I am a NSX owner.

Sorry but I beg to differ.

The NSX is Honda's flagship sportscar, it needs to be fast.

Nowadays, the differences between supercar and sportscar are diminishing.
Back in the day, if you compare Ferrari F40, Lamborghini Diablo, Jaguar XJ220, Bugatti EB110...they had huge difference compare to 3000GT VR-4, Supra, Mustang, Corvette, RX-7, Camaro, etc.

Look at sportscars today, they are capable of fighting against supercars.
Even the Mustang Shelby GT500 is getting 650hp, 200mph performance.
What's the performance difference between Nissan GT-R, Dodge Viper ACR, Corvette ZR-1 when you compare to Ferrari and Lambo nowadays?
Not much.

My point? I wouldn't be impressed if NSX is getting smoked by Mustang, Camaro, GT-R, Corvette ZR-1, and all the other cars.

Some people say "who cars if your Mustang or Vette is faster? It's a Ferrari!!!" well...obviously they do care. Supercar owners are often motorsport enthusiast, I know some/most people aren't capable of pushing the car to the limit. But I guess the bragging rights is like a big thing. How your car can lap Nurbrgring in how many min.sec. and stuff.

If you're simply looking for a fun factor or driving pleasure, there are cars that would do that for much less $$$.

IMG_1124%20copy.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I didn't make my point clear. The next NSX doesn't need to be the fastest car around The Ring but it is a proving ground that shows how well a car is or isn't sorted out. I loudly disagree with you; this car needs to be more than a boulevard pimp with no racing credentials. Otherwise, they had better stop calling it the next NSX. Our cars were sorted out by the likes of Senna and have a long history of SuperGT and even LeMans. I REALLY hope that they consider putting a version of this car into 24Hours since they are opening up/slightest forcing hybrid tech.

Tapaderp

I wouldn't be impressed if NSX is getting smoked by Mustang, Camaro, GT-R, Corvette ZR-1, and all the other cars.

Some people say "who cars if your Mustang or Vette is faster? It's a Ferrari!!!" well...obviously they do care. Supercar owners are often motorsport enthusiast, I know some/most people aren't capable of pushing the car to the limit. But I guess the bragging rights is like a big thing. How your car can lap Nurbrgring in how many min.sec. and stuff.

If you're simply looking for a fun factor or driving pleasure, there are cars that would do that for much less $$$.

IMG_1124%20copy.jpg

Whether anyone is impressed about my car of choice is incidental to me.
It's nothing new for a NSX owner to hear people say it is not worth the money and that there are faster cars, some for less.

If I get one there will be no shortage of people that will say that it's not worth it and on and on.

What I derive from ownership is personal.

The observation that " there are cars that would do that for much less $$$ " is a phrase that is not new to me and will continue, I am sure. It's what NSX owners endure and it will always be that way.

I expect the ranks of people buying this new car, if it happens, to be similar to the first go round. People who "get it".

To quote a song "I want to be in those numbers" and if I can, it won't be because I am smarter, richer or cooler than the next person.

It's simple. My priorities are out of wack and my wife always says "you should get it". She doesn't have any more sense than I do.:biggrin:

I love a quote from that British TV show, I forget the name, Top Gear? Any way, it went something like "when you see a chap driving a NSX you can say to yourself: 'he knows exactly what he's doing'."

BTW, I would love a Miata but people laugh enough now when they see me get in and out of my car.:redface:

Last edited:
I am a NSX owner.

Whether anyone is impressed about my car of choice is incidental to me.
It's nothing new for a NSX owner to hear people say it is not worth the money and that there are faster cars, some for less.

If I get one there will be no shortage of people that will say that it's not worth it and on and on.

What I derive from ownership is personal.

The observation that " there are cars that would do that for much less $$$ " is a phrase that is not new to me and will continue, I am sure. It's what NSX owners endure and it will always be that way.

I expect the ranks of people buying this new car, if it happens, to be similar to the first go round. People who "get it".

To quote a song "I want to be in those numbers" and if I can, it won't be because I am smarter, richer or cooler than the next person.

It's simple. My priorities are out of wack and my wife always says "you should get it". She doesn't have any more sense than I do.:biggrin:

I love a quote from that British TV show, I forget the name, Top Gear? Any way, it went something like "when you see a chap driving a NSX you can say to yourself: 'he knows exactly what he's doing'."

BTW, I would love a Miata but people laugh enough now when they see me get in and out of my car.:redface:

Tell it, Joe, Some people get it, some people don't. It's the way of the world.

But then, us old guys know that, don't we?:wink: Merry Christmas, my friend---

I know I am a serious buyer of the new one, and so people like me are who Honda would target. I could care less about Nurburgring lap times. I want a car that is technologically advanced, fun, and believe it or not prefer it to have some environmental responsibility. I don't want a slow car, or an ugly car, or a boring car. Sounds to me like a new NSX could be that car.

If you own an NSX for its " lap times' or 0-60 numbers your not buying right...Its that simple. There are cars much faster in all the performance aspects than an NSX. My passion for these cars is the way they make me feel in the drivers seat. They are SEXY. They are sleek, the fender lines in the windshield etc all give more to the driver than just those numbers...I have always told people that question why I buy these cars to spend a couple hours behind the wheel. If your not in love then you should not buy it. The ones that have any chance of getting " it" they will understand and be an immediate buyer or close future buyer. NOW with that being said those numbers are slightly important because if they aren't decent then the feel of the car will suffer. I think the car needs to give you the performance of a GTR ( or real close) and the feel of the old NSX. If it does I will buy and not even question it. We shall see....

NSX's as new vehicles , 1991 through 2005, were always very poor sellers for Acura dealers - so much so that there was big trunk money (up to $7K+) & subvented AHFC leases constantly during their production.

Cars sat on showroom floors for months even with heavily discounted pricing.

I agree with Joe. My ownership experience is personal and I could care less about what other people think. I own a NSX because of how it feels to me personally, not because of its lap times, whp stats or 1/4 trap speeds. My ownership experience has nothing to do whatsoever with these ridiculous bench racing or mag racing discussions that never end and never amount to anything. I don't care how much horsepower my NSX makes and I don't care about yours and I don't care about how much the new NSX puts out. I applaud Honda for not getting sucked into this stupid numbers game. Good God, when you have 700 ft/lbs of torque, you need F1 aero to make it work. What's next? 800 ft/lbs? 900? It's stupid. Just stupid.

What is hilarious to me is that if you hand a BONE STOCK 1991 NSX on the so-called "outdated" 15/16 wheels to say, Rubens Barrichello, he could drive that car so fast around a road course that it would make the average owner s$%t himself from fear. Instead, we end up with these endless discussions about whp and status and "hypercars" vs "supercars" and all that crap. I wish people would take their cars, find a good track school and start learning how to exact every ounce of speed from their cars AS IS. I think that would be a lot more fun than talking about how much whp your car makes, or worrying about whather you can beat that GT-R next door in a drag race, or if you're out-powering that guy at the dyno shop with the turbo kit. WHO. CARES.

I hope they instead focus on creating the best sports car driving experience in the world, which is what the name "NSX" represents to me. Let the other companies keep running in circles trying to one up each other on paper. And, if the only way to get customers into the showroom is to play this ridiculous stats game, as many people argue, then I think the posterboard next to the concept car should say:

NSX Concept: ONE MIIIILLLLION HORSEPOWER

350, 450, whatever. The critical points are it needs to look amazing, be mid-engine, and provide a visceral driving experience.

my two cents

That looks more like a pagani zonda competitor to me, no way it could be that level of exotic. We are only about a week out from the january show!

That looks more like a pagani zonda competitor to me, no way it could be that level of exotic. We are only about a week out from the january show!

hell, why not? if they are going for exotic, why not go all out? keep the same performance, just make it insane looking...

If the new "NSX" looks like that rendering above, I would buy it in a heartbeat. And why shouldn't it look like that? Going by the numbers, it will never sell like a Mustang does, so there is no need to tone it down to appeal to a broader audience. It might be too shouty, but I would love to roll around in that...

Honcho, I agree with most of what you say. More HP may not necessarily deliver a more visceral driving experience. But it sure can help. It seems the majority just doesn't want to have the same HP as the mid level luxury sedan next to them on the street. I also do not believe anyone is asking for Aventador HP numbers, or even Ferrari HP. 400 to 450 (leaning towards 450) seems to be a great sweet spot.

For me, the NSX is a great modding platform. It is a great foundation, and depending on the application, it can be improved. I just hope the same for new one, but with all the electronics and integration, I see it being difficult and expensive. And that interferes with the tinkering corner of my brain.

Overall, if it is well engineered and a solid piece of machinery, I hope Honda moves forward with it. They need it.

Back