The 2010 World Cup football thread

As we begin the much anticipated World Cup, this can serve as a main thread for all cup related postings.

WHO DO YOU THINK WILL WIN IT ALL ??????

I think I will go with Germany. Just a hunch.

To get things started, here are some Group Interval 1 favorites:

Mexico over South Africa

France over Uruguay

Argentina over Nigeria

England over United States

Slovenia over Algeria

Ghana over Serbia

Germany over Australia

Re: The 2010 WORLD CUP FOOTBALL THREAD

I'm on the Brazil bandwagon and always have been. I hope Kaka gets threw his "injury" and that Dunga doesn't regret not putting Ronaldinho on the squad.

As for the first round. I hate to say this but I think US has a great shot at beating England. If there was ever a time for the US to beat England it's this Saturday.

Time to sleep now so I can wake up a little earlier, go to work, and watch the game, haha.

Stephen

PS, South Africa over Mexico. 3-2.

1st round opening matches will give insight to the rest of the tourney...

WHO DO YOU THINK WILL WIN IT ALL ??????

I think I will go with Germany. Just a hunch
2x! I've always been a fan of Deutschland Fussball Bund! :cool:

I think S.A. '10 W.C. may be similar to how it was in JPN/KOR '02 W.C. in terms how quickly or slowly powerhouse football'ing countries adapt & excel. The 1st round group-stage opening matches will be very tell'tale.

On paper & as of late, Spain seems to be the team to beat. Their players. Their form. Their successes. But, it's in Africa. It's right after a grueling Champions League / La Liga campaign for many of the key Espanol players. And upstart/driven minnows as well as those nations from the continent will show up w/ some gusto early on...

I'm curious how Maradona does. I potentially see the players doing great things, or an embarrassing premature exit due to wacky coaching/managerial decisions.

Also, I wonder if the Dutch deliver - as they are capable of doing great things.

Many more curiosities as well. . .

Last edited:

Brazil! I have them playing Spain in the final.

I'm on the Brazil bandwagon and always have been. I hope Kaka gets threw his "injury" and that Dunga doesn't regret not putting Ronaldinho on the squad.

As for the first round. I hate to say this but I think US has a great shot at beating England. If there was ever a time for the US to beat England it's this Saturday.

Time to sleep now so I can wake up a little earlier, go to work, and watch the game, haha.

Stephen

PS, South Africa over Mexico. 3-2.

Agreed with everything until you made that foolish comment about Mexico losing to SA.

Mexico will "NOT" lose to the host country!

Katlego Mphela might be Bafana Bafana’s best hope for creating goals. The forward has 15 goals in 31 games for South Africa with the last 11 coming on home soil, including two in a 3-2 loss to Spain in last summer’s Confederations Cup. Having said that, Mexico will still prevail.

Korean_Flag2.gif

First contest ends level. What an effort by S.A. to continue the host dominance trend. :eek:

Anyone picking Uruguay over France later? :rolleyes:

Going to have to go with my roots. Spain is going to win! (yeah yeah I know I am from the Philippines but I am going to my older roots, my grandfather was from Barcelona :biggrin:)

Lampard will be given much time with the ball today and that will hurt US bigtime. While US will be trying to contain Rooney, Lampard will dissect the American defense.

GO ENGLAND! :smile:

Frank-Lampard5.jpg

Nice win Steve, but you must admit, Greece's play was pathetic! :eek:
Good Luck the rest of the way. My bet $$ is on Germany to win this whole thing even though Spain is a safer way to go.

Forget the bets for a moment, my team I'm hoping will cause some big time damage ....... and ........, that's a big and ........ if they can go all the way, it would be well worth it to lose the few bucks I have on Germany.

Go England!!!! :smile:

Gooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll

Just got home from the W-Cup parties. Wow, what a day!

Who put the WD-40 on Green's goalkeepers gloves??? :confused:
He may want to think about living down in S.A. after this is all over. haha!

Back