Targa Top Stowed in the Trunk

I just use microfibers to hold an engine-heated targa top and get it into place. You don't have a small stack of microfiber towels in your car? How do you maintain the purple?

yes I do but I need new ones... :D

Question for those who have removed the clamshell. Any negatives to this? Does the window fog up, or does the window get dirty if driven in the rain?

Question for those who have removed the clamshell. Any negatives to this? Does the window fog up, or does the window get dirty if driven in the rain?

The seal is definitely gone with the clamshell removed. If I leave my car in the driveway overnight I'll sometimes find condensation on the underside of the glass. No problems with it fogging up or getting dirty on the underside from wet roads.

Also, I must be very careful now lowering the glass. No more dropping it the last few inches because it clacks hard on the stops. Hard enough that I think it might break if dropped from more than a few inches.

Thanks guys. Good to know all of the pros and cons before making any changes. And also anything that could cause damage. I think I'll take mine off just to see if I like it or not.

Great timing on this.... I want to remove my clamshell too, and was considering this task during the winter driving hiatas. Question though: I would assume that one the clamshell is removed, the dash will always display all the lights indicating the shell is open. Or, is there a way to defeat those specific idiot lights.

Great timing on this.... I want to remove my clamshell too, and was considering this task during the winter driving hiatas. Question though: I would assume that one the clamshell is removed, the dash will always display all the lights indicating the shell is open. Or, is there a way to defeat those specific idiot lights.

That is not a problem. When you unplug the wiring harness from the clamshell, the light won't come on.

I need to get rid of my ratty clam shell... any ideas on the best aftermarket options that don't cost $3K?

I took my Clam Shell off a few weeks back and the creeking
from not having the seal is beggining to get to me. Lubed
the Hook and Lock Mechanism and am still experiencing some
creeking. Will have to find a solution....

I took my Clam Shell off a few weeks back and the creeking
from not having the seal is beggining to get to me. Lubed
the Hook and Lock Mechanism and am still experiencing some
creeking. Will have to find a solution....

That's sad to hear. Is this common?

I need to get rid of my ratty clam shell... any ideas on the best aftermarket options that don't cost $3K?

Ditto. Should have gor one a few months ago when I had a chance.

Took off my clam shell tonight. Damn that thing is heavy!

It is such a pita to do this solo without the strap....that the previous owner was being very douchy in not disclosing that little tidbit.Check that your rear trunk strut rubber bushings are present,and you have the targa plugs for the rear roof holes.
I didn't know there was supposed to be that targa strap/hook-thingy either, guess I didn't get that...
I didn't get the spare tire...
I didn't get the jack kit...
I didn't get the cupholder...
I didn't get those 'targa plugs' you're talking about...
I didn't get a functioning cd changer...

Any other little knick-knack things that SHOULD come with an NSX that I should know about???

there is a mounting bracket and rubber grommet for the spare.Are there any tools in the rear kit? did you check the hinges on the rear trunk strut assembly for the little rubber shims?

no bracket or grommet for spare... no tools or kit of any kind... I do see rubber around the trunk struts, but the trunk struts are bad as well as the rear glass struts so I have to replace all 4 anyways (I already bought them from the dealer a long time ago just after I bought the car, for $75EACH).

no bracket or grommet for spare... no tools or kit of any kind... I do see rubber around the trunk struts, but the trunk struts are bad as well as the rear glass struts so I have to replace all 4 anyways (I already bought them from the dealer a long time ago just after I bought the car, for $75EACH).

$75 each...ouch! I had all 4 of mine rebuilt by Frank Irvine [email protected] up here in Canada for $124 which included shipping both ways. They work excellent. He had them done in a couple of days, so mode of shipping dictates the amount of down time.

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI White

Last edited:
Reviving this thread...

HeySkippy, did these targa holder mitts actually come with the car or was this part of later items you could buy like the luggage or things like that? I thought I had a full OEM car until just now :eek:

P4133193cs.jpg
P4133199.JPG

Reviving this thread...

HeySkippy, did these targa holder mitts actually come with the car or was this part of later items you could buy like the luggage or things like that? I thought I had a full OEM car until just now :eek:

Ah, well... Actually, I cannot tell a lie. I cut stencils and used my airbrush to paint on a basic Bed, Bath, & Beyond oven mitt. :)

...Finally the truth be told:biggrin:

Ah, well... Actually, I cannot tell a lie. I cut stencils and used my airbrush to paint on a basic Bed, Bath, & Beyond oven mitt. :)

Haha. Bravo, you had me scratching my head. I know things disappear over time like the targa plugs, trunk mat, cup holders etc so this was pretty damn believable. Plus the top does get hot.

Going to use this one on a few people now. [emoji23]

Yes

Back