Targa Top Stowed in the Trunk

interesting.....did the previous owner not tell you that he was missing the clamshell hook.

It is such a pita to do this solo without the strap....that the previous owner was being very douchy in not disclosing that little tidbit.Check that your rear trunk strut rubber bushings are present,and you have the targa plugs for the rear roof holes.

The strap itself is only about $40 from Acura.

The targa frame has what looks like two metal cubes welded in place, for the strap to attach. The tail of the strap bolts into the rear "cube", while the front one has a button snap, to hold the "stowed" strap.

If for some reason someone swapped your targa frame for a coupe version, it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a solution.

IMG_20131111_140452.jpg

Here's a picture of my stowed roof, looking at Jim's pictures gave me the confidence to apply a bit more force to slip the roof in, it's a very snug fit.

Also, the roof fits in the trunk with the larger 4-wheel VRH tank:

IMG_20131111_140523.jpg

Last edited:
It is such a pita to do this solo without the strap....that the previous owner was being very douchy in not disclosing that little tidbit.Check that your rear trunk strut rubber bushings are present,and you have the targa plugs for the rear roof holes.

What are the targa plugs?!

they are little rubber stoppers or plugs that insert into the holes that the locking pins of the roof go into ....supposed to reduce any whistling from air driving topless....you can order from any dealer.....just goes to show that its the little things that can determine how well these cars were cared for ...

I should think some Velcro could substitute for the strap/hook pretty well.

My car came with the targa plugs, but I only used them once then put them away. Any noise they might cancel is lost on my old ears.

I should think some Velcro could substitute for the strap/hook pretty well.

My car came with the targa plugs, but I only used them once then put them away. Any noise they might cancel is lost on my old ears.

Did you try just stuffing them into your ears? :biggrin:

This is a really informative thread and I'm learning a lot more about the targa experience. What strategy do you guys use to slide the roof into the clamshell without leaning all over the car's rear quarter panels? This is the main thing I can't seem to figure out.

This is a really informative thread and I'm learning a lot more about the targa experience. What strategy do you guys use to slide the roof into the clamshell without leaning all over the car's rear quarter panels? This is the main thing I can't seem to figure out.[/QUOTE]

I need to lean my legs against the side of the car to get the top centered in the clamshell,so I just make sure i'm wearing something that won't scratch the car (no suit of armor,phone pole climbing cleats or rhinestone blue jeans)

Last edited:
One thing of note if you remove your clamshell.

Without the clamshell/cover to cushion it, the glass will come down *much* harder if you just let it drop. I think it might even break if dropped from high enough. Used to be I would lower the glass and let it drop the last couple inches then push it until it clicks. Now, letting it drop those last few inches results in an alarming clack as it bangs shut and it latches itself. I am very careful now lowering the glass.

One thing of note if you remove your clamshell.

Without the clamshell/cover to cushion it, the glass will come down *much* harder if you just let it drop. I think it might even break if dropped from high enough. Used to be I would lower the glass and let it drop the last couple inches then push it until it clicks. Now, letting it drop those last few inches results in an alarming clack as it bangs shut and it latches itself. I am very careful now lowering the glass.

Yes, I woudl love to get just a cover that had the seals on it to make that close better. Even with the comptech cover, it still doesnt seal.

The strap itself is only about $40 from Acura.

The targa frame has what looks like two metal cubes welded in place, for the strap to attach. The tail of the strap bolts into the rear "cube", while the front one has a button snap, to hold the "stowed" strap.

If for some reason someone swapped your targa frame for a coupe version, it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a solution.

IMG_20131111_140452.jpg

Here's a picture of my stowed roof, looking at Jim's pictures gave me the confidence to apply a bit more force to slip the roof in, it's a very snug fit.

Also, the roof fits in the trunk with the larger 4-wheel VRH tank:

IMG_20131111_140523.jpg

interesting you got the targa in there. Mine would not fit AT ALL! Did you do any modifications?

the road trip is still easily doable. the targa can be placed at about a 40 degree angle in the trunk, allowing a couple of small duffels beneath it, and a couple of small duffels above. Not to mention a duffel bag in the passenger footwell.[QUOTE]

You can get more in the trunk than you would think if you pack wisely. Not a set of clubs but plenty of gear for a long weekend.
Even more if you have a front underbelly pan. :)

Last edited:
What do you guys do to flip the targa top around to put it inside the clam shell if you're doing this by yourself? It's pretty nice having long arms but sometimes on a hot day, removing it from the clam shell without letting it cool off first is a serious problem! I burned the crap out of myself once and by then I had already picked it up.... it was too late. I didn't want to drop it so I sat the edge on my shoe while I screamed like a b$@#%! lol

Many owners keep a spare set of driving or cotton gloves just for that purpose.I do the solo spin when storing the roof.

wait what?? you're kidding right? lol

I do the same with my too. Even though I can use the standard cover for the car since the turbo doesn't matter, it just looks way better IMO with the engine showing. As for gas, the turbo saves me gas I think lol

I think we need some higher res pics of your avatar SuperSonic dayum.

HeySkippy, are those home made? :D make me some! haha

Last edited:
Back