Swapping a V8 into a NSX?

Since you build it yourself, the fit and finish is entirely up to you. At least that's what the representative said on the streetfire.net plug.

Thats a load of hogwash. If the parts aren't engineered to fit well together, you aren't going to be able to fit them well together. Of course the final build quality will be somewhat dependent on the builder, but the finish of the supplied components will play a large part.

While the LSx series engine (You were referring to the LS7, the LS6 was the 405 HP engine in the last generation Corvettes) may be too large, there are still plenty of other smaller displacement V8s that still have a better baseline than the C30, such as the 1UZFE (starts at ~300 HP but can make wicked gains with a supercharger) or perhaps, as previously mentioned, the 32V Northstar.

Edit: The 1UZ can also be bored up to 4.7 litres, was used in the Supra GT500 Race Car, the Lexus SC430 GT500 Race Car, and the MR-S Le Mans car.

People on a Cadillac (yeah, I know right?) forum are claiming to get 45HP out of a 32V Northstar just by having their ECU hacked. That's 345 HP, with stock manifolds, fuel, etc.

http://www.v8mr2.com/ <- 32V Northstar in a first gen MR2

Last edited:
haha, I had a dream about fusing two G25 Inline 5 engines (from the Acura vigor), blueprint it, and do some other modifications and stuff that in the NSX, and that's because I really like the sound of a high revving V10. Then I woke up :(

If you can put an LSx engine in an NSX, more power to you. That would be something interesting to see. I've seen a judd V8 in an NSX (somewhere in australia i think), but those engines are tiny and produce half the torque an LSx would produce.

The LSx isn't the only option. There are plenty of smaller V8s, some even listed in my last post that would work probably better than the LSx.

?
haha, I had a dream about fusing two G25 Inline 5 engines (from the Acura vigor), blueprint it, and do some other modifications and stuff that in the NSX, and that's because I really like the sound of a high revving V10. Then I woke up :(

If you can put an LSx engine in an NSX, more power to you. That would be something interesting to see. I've seen a judd V8 in an NSX (somewhere in australia i think), but those engines are tiny and produce half the torque an LSx would produce.

what about the "new NSX" engine? 95deg, 4.5L V10
that's what i'm talkin about
too bad the car looks like poo....somebody needs to make a retrofit kit for that motor into our cars

?

what about the "new NSX" engine? 95deg, 4.5L V10
that's what i'm talkin about
too bad the car looks like poo....somebody needs to make a retrofit kit for that motor into our cars

It's mounted in the front, and probably horizontally and will probably cost more than the C30 (somehow).

Why not put the C30 into a pinto? Justing adding logs to the fire:wink:

Attachments

• 1-13-2007-02.jpg
    1-13-2007-02.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 1-13-2007-03.jpg
    1-13-2007-03.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 92
That guy probably had to put it into a Pinto because after buying his engine, he realized he had to sell his NSX! :biggrin:

You could always use a Legend/RL engine (3.5L V6) but it might be more expensive than a C30 or a C32A.

Maybe you could do a 2 Engine layout.
The Bugatti Veryon has two V8
A Smart Roadster Brabus (limted edtion) has a two 3Cyl Twin turbo's

Two Civic Type-R engine or to S2K engines would make a 4.0l - 4.2L V8
a dubbel Civic R set up would give 400HP a dubbel S2k woud give 500HP
But a S2k is FR/

Or even better add to inline 6 engines than you would have a V12

the LS series GM V8's are about the smallest (external dimensions) and lightest V8's around. The C30 and LS7 probably weight the same with the LS7 being slightly longer and the C30 being much wider. This type of swap wouldn't affect the "balance" of the NSX as the engines weigh the same other than the LS7 would lower the center of gravity due to the single cam in block setup.

ill build you a 3.4L low compression stroker for 23K.:wink:

dont listen to rumours, search for facts. :smile:

even with a blown motor, the nsx does not come cheap.

How would you bolt a LS engine to a nsx ? or even cut out a lot of metal and put it in sideways... you still have to deal with the drive train issue. Chevy does not make a transaxle setup so you gota make one from scrach. with enough $ you can do everything, including send an rocket powered nsx to mars but there are better ways of doing it.

Why are we still discussing this issue? :confused:

The kid is DREAMING by his own admission! He will never put an LS1 into an NSX. No offense Svensko, but if you do put a V8 into an NSX I will gladly rescind this and apologize.

You won't have to apologize. He hasn't finished tinkering with his 1988 Toyota Celica. :biggrin:

Why not put the C30 into a pinto? Justing adding logs to the fire:wink:
LOL

A NSX Engine should never be used for that kinda ...... Joking around messing about.

It's should go were it was designed for in a NSX.
And not in a banger!

It’s not as far fetched as one might think. In fact, I was planning on doing the exact swap on my project track NSX before I was bit by the Baja 1000 bug (I’m building a class one buggy right now). You do need to mount the motor longitudinally and use a Porsche, Mendolea or Quaife transaxle. The biggest mod would be to discard the stock gas tank and replace it with two side pod tanks (ala Ultima GTO). The rear firewall needs to be cut out and moved forward into the passenger compartment about 5 inches (not good for tall drivers). It’s very doable. With LS1 crate motors running about 5 grand, a Mendolea 5 speed sequential running 11 grand, and 935 CVs and custom axles at 3 grand I’d put the conversion at about 25 grand for parts alone. The lower weight and CG of the LS series motors would be a benefit for handling and with a properly designed roll cage the chassis would be fine. If you’re interested in a track only NSX cheap check out my “project track car” in the market place under NSXs for sale.

You guys really are worse than RX-7 owners and their rotaries... Someone wants to put something other than a C30 into a NSX? NEVER! IMPOSSIBLE! My cousin proved it, with science! :mad:
Sheesh, give me a break, I'm sure when people wanted to put SBC into 914s everyone called them crazy too. Don't forget the LS1 into the RX-7 and 240SX. There's actually a guy on MR2OC that almost managed to fit a 1UZFE into a 2nd gen MR2. He had everything set, but started to lose interest when he had to start cutting into the car to make it fit and he also had money issues. There is a guy at www.v8mr2.com named Paul Strong that has fit a 32V Northstar into a MKI MR2. If that's possible, then I have no doubt that a V8 swap into the NSX is possible. For those of you calling V8s heavy, you don't even know if they're alumninum or iron! How can you even comment on that? I didn't say any of this would be easy, but some of your are just so pessimistic.

As for the Celica comment, use Wikipedia, it's your friend ;). The third gen was the last of the rear drives, with IRS, and rear discs and ended in 85. I guess I should say that you're too busy tinkering with your D16 in your NSX to worry about a V8 swap hmm? I hear those NSXs weigh like two tons. I'll be sure to not look up anything about the car I'm making fun of because I am just that damn busy. No where did I claim that my Celica was breaking any records, or pushing JDM TYTE MAD BOOST but it was a fun car to mess around with and perform a swap on. Tinkering isn't really an option anymore since I'm in school, so your insults falls flat right about there. :smile:

Last edited:
You guys really are worse than RX-7 owners and their rotaries... Someone wants to put something other than a C30 into a NSX? NEVER! IMPOSSIBLE! My cousin proved it, with science! :mad:
Sheesh, give me a break, I'm sure when people wanted to put SBC into 914s everyone called them crazy too. Don't forget the LS1 into the RX-7 and 240SX. There's actually a guy on MR2OC that almost managed to fit a 1UZFE into a 2nd gen MR2. He had everything set, but started to lose interest when he had to start cutting into the car to make it fit and he also had money issues. There is a guy at www.v8mr2.com named Paul Strong that has fit a 32V Northstar into a MKI MR2. If that's possible, then I have no doubt that a V8 swap into the NSX is possible. For those of you calling V8s heavy, you don't even know if they're alumninum or iron! How can you even comment on that? I didn't say any of this would be easy, but some of your are just so pessimistic.

As for the Celica comment, use Wikipedia, it's your friend ;). The third gen was the last of the rear drives, with IRS, and rear discs and ended in 85. I guess I should say that you're too busy tinkering with your D16 in your NSX to worry about a V8 swap hmm? I hear those NSXs weigh like two tons. I'll be sure to not look up anything about the car I'm making fun of because I am just that damn busy. No where did I claim that my Celica was breaking any records, or pushing JDM TYTE MAD BOOST but it was a fun car to mess around with and perform a swap on. Tinkering isn't really an option anymore since I'm in school, so your insults falls flat right about there. :smile:
It might be possibel to put a other engine in a NSX but it would be very complex and difficult.

But if you want a low budget NSX you might take a damaged NSX and repair it (after market parts: SOS,GT-Rom,etc a kinda project car)

Edit:
If that guy put a Northstar V8 in a MR2 WOW you might do it in a NSX.

SOunds fun.

I have a friend putting a northstar into a Fierro this summer. Thing will be quick. Before the Northstar he was going to put a grandnational Motor in the Fierro but found that a Superchaged Northstar motor was an easier path to take. He is looking at around 500 hp when he is done, tq is up in the air but something around 500 as well.

SHould be an animal.

with Vision, $$ and lots of determination, you could do it im sure.

Back