Swapping a V8 into a NSX?

I am but a 19 year old dreaming about track cars when I get out of school. I've been told that NSXs with blown engines go to for fairly cheap because of the fact that a long block is horridly expensive. I was wondering if it were even possible to run something like a LS1 or LS2 in a NSX? I realize it would require so much modification it wouldn't be funny, but it seems like it would be reasonable to have to find a wrecked trans am when I need a replacement block than spend a ton of cash on a longblock. Yes, I do realize that the engine is transversely mounted, and that it would require welding custom mounts onto the V8, and rerouting everything from exhaust to wiring, and using a new ECU, etc., like I said, it's just a dream, but is it even a possibility?

There was a thread about this topic posted a long time ago. Try the search function to see if you can find it.

I don't think a V8 would fit in the standard engine bay of the NSX. But with enough money, anything is possible, so it probably could be done. But the first question to ask would be "why"? It would be much easier to super/turbocharge than try to put a V8 in there.

The LS2 is 400 hp baseline. It seems, from what I've read, that the NSX engine (sorry, don't know the engine code) seems to max out at around 500 HP. If i were creating a track car, it seems like the V8, with an equally large (if not larger) aftermarket, that is generally more reliable than the stock engine at high HP levels, and is cheaper to replace, makes a lot more sense to me.

I also prefer NA power to turbo. Superchargers are nice but have their limitations.

I am but a 19 year old dreaming about track cars when I get out of school. I've been told that NSXs with blown engines go to for fairly cheap because of the fact that a long block is horridly expensive.

eh? Never heard that or seen that on the market.

Me either. Sounds like some rumor mill pipe dream. I guess if you wanna spend 25 - 30 grand plus, to get a car with a blown motor, just so you can dump more $$$ into it to put a V8 in it. I mean hell.... why don't you just go pick up a early model C5 corvette and make THAT a track car? That makes alot more sense.

There was a thread about this a long time ago as stated above. The LS1 would throw off the balance of the NSX. Better off getting a RX7 and doing a swap like that in one of those.

Why don't you just try a stock NSX on the track first. If you can drive a stock set-up at 10/10ths then perhaps you should start thinking about more power.

If you can already drive a stock NSX at the track at 10/10ths, then you are a better driver than many of of us here. :cool:

Lots of good points in this thread. The price of buying a new long block probably would be cheaper than swapping a V8 into the car. For those of you that have replaced the engine, around how much was it for you? If I were to buy a NSX, I'd buy a 91-94 more than likely, and I've heard their short blocks can cost $23K.

TWENTY THREE THOUSAND for a short block? :confused:

You could buy an early NSX with a strong motor for less than it would take to buy one with a blown motor and swap in any V8.

If you want to go fast. And like they said if you can drive 10/10 then buy a z06 and put put I/E/H AND twin turbo. Run 10's maybe.:confused: Or 1000hp supra.

Eh, I don't want fast in a straight line. I am talking more along the lines of track racing than drag racing.

I've thought about some other cars to turn into track cars, such as an Elise, a MR-S, a S2000, a GTM, and an Ultima GTR.

Eh, I don't want fast in a straight line. I am talking more along the lines of track racing than drag racing.

I've thought about some other cars to turn into track cars, such as an Elise, a MR-S, a S2000, a GTM, and an Ultima GTR.

Get a supercharged NSX, or Lotus Elise.

Perhaps a Arial Atom.

My first thoughts about the switch were similar to that of 'ExoticMD' who mentioned 'balance'.

Though I don't know the weights, I assume the iron block V-8 would be a lot heavier than the aluminum 3.0 V-6 in an early NSX.

Since you want to track it, balance will be a major factor, and the switch would certainly change the beautiful balance that the NSX engineers designed into the car.

I agree that you should either buy a 'vette (or V-8 powered Camaro/TA) or buy an NSX, but you'll end up spending too much to 'blend' them for a result that just won't be worth the price.

Good luck!

I am but a 19 year old dreaming about track cars when I get out of school...like I said, it's just a dream, but is it even a possibility?

I don't understand why everyone is replying to this post. In his first and last sentence he clearly states that he's just dreaming. When he wakes up, he'll realize that reality and dreams are different. Let's put this thread to sleep instead of pouring more fuel onto the fire. :cool:

My first thoughts about the switch were similar to that of 'ExoticMD' who mentioned 'balance'.

Though I don't know the weights, I assume the iron block V-8 would be a lot heavier than the aluminum 3.0 V-6 in an early NSX.

Since you want to track it, balance will be a major factor, and the switch would certainly change the beautiful balance that the NSX engineers designed into the car.

I agree that you should either buy a 'vette (or V-8 powered Camaro/TA) or buy an NSX, but you'll end up spending too much to 'blend' them for a result that just won't be worth the price.

Good luck!

The LS1, LS2, and LS7 are all aluminum block, and have weights comparable to a rotary 13B-REW.

Does anyone actually know the weight for the 1st gen NSX blocks? I know it's natural to assume that a V8 would weigh more than a V6 but the SBCs are also a lot less complex than the NSX engine, only 8 valves, pushrods, lightweight heads bc of the lack of quad cams. It wouldn't surprised me if they have very similar weights.

The LS1, LS2, and LS7 are all aluminum block, and have weights comparable to a rotary 13B-REW.

Does anyone actually know the weight for the 1st gen NSX blocks? I know it's natural to assume that a V8 would weigh more than a V6 but the SBCs are also a lot less complex than the NSX engine, only 8 valves, pushrods, lightweight heads bc of the lack of quad cams. It wouldn't surprised me if they have very similar weights.

your are correct to the fact that the ls motors are fairly light for having two extra cylinders but comparing them to the weight of a wankle I find hard to believe.

On another note. I to have thought about this swap. The ls motors make crazy power. You can get one fairly cheap but after all the custom fab and what not. ITs not really worth it since the C30 can make alot also and you dont have to go through the hassle of all that comes with such a swap.

GTR isn't exactly inexpensive... good thing you're only dreaming :)

......just to clarify a short block from Acura does list out at 25k

I think you need to take a longer look at the website.

First off the minimum order is $41408.

Second, the basic kit that costs around $28k doesn't come with nearly everything you need to assemble a complete car.

Additionally you will need to purchase:

Roll bar, side mirrors, headlights, taillights, brake lights, side repeaters & turn signals, license plate lights, relays & fuses, light switches, wipers (if needed), battery, battery cables, accelerator pedal cable & kit, clutch assembly, clutch kit, seat shells, seats, seat runners, seatbelts, instruments (speedo, etc), speedo sensor, other misc sensors, horn, wheels, tires, steering wheel, gear knob, transaxle, transaxle to engine adapter, exhaust, body grills assuming you don't want gaping holes.. also the body doesn't come with all the holes cut for the lights, etc which is an additional charge.

All of that adds up to another $20,000 (many of those parts are required for purchase, but all parts needed are not required). If you want an engine, you're looking at another $7,000 from the Ultima recommended US supplier.

Basically you need to spend that $41408, then get a $3,000 transaxel, $800 adapter, $7000 engine, $800 clutch, $2000 worth of tires, $1000 in instruments, and other random parts before you will even have a car.

Back