Styling: Pre or Post 02?

Which styling do you like more?

• 1991-2001

Votes: 97 53.3%
  • 2002-2005

Votes: 85 46.7%

• Total voters
This what I don't understand. There are NO kits to convert an 02+ to a 91-01 why is that? People don't try to convert their cars to NA1 NSX-R why not? I have yet to see a 02+ with 91-01 wheels ,but how many 91-01 do you see with 02+ wheels? The poll is about styling and apparently there is more to like about the 02+ than the 91-01. All you 91-01 guys can say is"I like pop up's" funny nobody else seems to or they'd still be in production somewhere:biggrin:

Very true. But why would anyone want to make their car look older? The rule is to update a cars looks:wink:

I like the 02+ body style. Its much newer looking and much more exotic. I used to say, "if I could afford a newer body style, I'd buy one" but the NA1 look has really grown on me. Eventually I'd like an 02+ to complete my Honda Collection. My NA1, NA2 and S2000:biggrin: Then we can challenge the Klingon's for intergaltic domination.:tongue:

2002+

Here are my reasons....it's UPDATED. Doesn't look old.
I don't think these look dated...Do you?

3178816fsmall.jpg

3178816jsmall.jpg

3178671fsmall.jpg

Pics

Although many of you like the popup headlights, it's a thing of the past.

This is from Motor Authority about Acura’s Advanced Sports Car Concept:
"The concept’s slim, LED headlights are pushed wide and designed to mimic the pop-up headlights found on the first generation NSX."

But then again, alot of you like it for that reason alone.....the nostalgic aspect of it. Also the popup headlights make it look like many, many other sports cars of that era.
Not sure The NSX looks like many,many other sports cars with or without the pop up headlights. BTW thier are 2 lenses vs most other with one lense.
You are right that many sports cars of that "era" , (up to 2002) have pop ups.

showphoto.php

Sure all newer sports cars have fixed headlights not but does any of them resemble the '02+ NSX ones? I can't think of any really....
Your right, most are flush with the body.

If an NSX is coming at you from a far distance, it could be mistaken for alot of cars but if an 02+ NSX was approaching you from afar, it would be more distinguished because of the unique shape of the headlights and the front bumper opening.
Hummmmm.

nsx-r01g.jpg

sw-apr18-corvette2.jpg

This whole poll is subjective to opinion of course and will vary person to person and even with age in some cases. I'm a trendy person so I like the fresh, new updated look of it :)
True. it is subjective and owners are naturally biased to thier model.

Like many here have already done, If I had the money, I'd get an '02+ NSX or convert my 92 in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

safety...

All you 91-01 guys can say is"I like pop up's" funny nobody else seems to or they'd still be in production somewhere
I believe the NTSB's & DOT's ever-changing crash test requirements were a determining factor for the facelifted '02+ models. The '91-'01 models were no longer upto spec' w/ front-end crash/collision tests & other safety mandates.

I hate pop up headlights, and thats probrably the biggest turn off for me from the nsx. I am actually searching for a NA1 to add to my pocession, but that is because I can't afford a 02+ model.

Like what everyone else here has already stated, when the 02's first came out, everyone said that Honda had royally screwed up the NSX. After 6 months or so, the styling really grows on you, and alot of the younger guys ended up liking the 02+ design better. I will admit, even though i hate pop up headlights, the NSX's are an exception because they have projectors underneth, and they don't raise up to high.

Even though skyguy did post up some nice pics of cars with pop-up lights, I can post even better pics of those exact same cars with flush mounted lights that IMO looks much better and more modern.

3178816jsmall.jpg

same car with flush mounts

FD%2018.jpg

here is the diablo with pop ups

3178671fsmall.jpg

here is diablo VT with flush mounts from a Z32 300ZX

7833-3.jpg

or

Lamborghini_Diablo_VT.jpg

edit:
and don't make me look for pics of those same cars with their headlights upped up, they will look absolutely horrid! lol.

Re: safety...

I believe the NTSB's & DOT's ever-changing crash test requirements were a determining factor for the facelifted '02+ models. The '91-'01 models were no longer upto spec' w/ front-end crash/collision tests & other safety mandates.

So....let me get this right you're telling me Honda couldn't have met those requirements with "pop ups". So they chose to spend all that money with a face lift and then meet those requirements. Osiris I've read you're previous posts and know you can do better than this:wink:

It's really that hard for you guys to admit that that stih looks dated isn't it...LoL

Of course now I'll get like five angry reply's about it looking classic...LoL

I have liked hidden head lights since my 1st 65 Corvette.
Its just personal preference. Buy what you like.
To me, its a non issue on the NSX. I like Coupes so my decision has been made for me.:biggrin:
Simple. :wink:

Maybe I am in the minority, as I have a 97 and I prefer the look of the 2002+. If I could have the headlight conversion done for something less than a king's ransom, I would do it.

In all honesty, I didn't like the 02 update when I first saw it 4 years ago. I still, actually, don't quite like the rear taillights on 02+s as much as the old ones. But the front end and headlights... so fine. And HID is a must have.

And NSXs with pop-ups up look great. They look so sleek since they have about half the height of the 'Vette pop-ups.

PDRM1238.jpg

True. The NSX pop up headlights are much more subtle than most pop ups of the era. It's almost like the headlights are just peering above the hood.

pop up lights make the car look "sad":redface:

I decided on an nsx in 2002 when i saw the updated lights, before the update i was going to get a skyline. Sealed the deal for me. :)

I don't think these look dated...Do you?

3178816fsmall.jpg

3178816jsmall.jpg

3178671fsmall.jpg

Pics

This is from Motor Authority about Acura’s Advanced Sports Car Concept:
"The concept’s slim, LED headlights are pushed wide and designed to mimic the pop-up headlights found on the first generation NSX."

Not sure The NSX looks like many,many other sports cars with or without the pop up headlights. BTW thier are 2 lenses vs most other with one lense.
You are right that many sports cars of that "era" , (up to 2002) have pop ups.

showphoto.php

Your right, most are flush with the body.

Hummmmm.

nsx-r01g.jpg

sw-apr18-corvette2.jpg

True. it is subjective and owners are naturally biased to thier model.

Like many here have already done, If I had the money, I'd get an '02+ NSX or convert my 92 in a heartbeat.
[/QUOTE]

I was prepared for another person's opinion to counter mine but lets look at facts now....popup headlights ARE a thing of the past. In the 90's, there were ALOT more cars with them as opossed to currently. Yes, TO ME...those cars you showed DO look outdated but that's my OPINION. ...and yes, they're from the 90's also. The pic comparing the C6 Vette to the NSX-R....not even close. The openings are totally different and so is the shape of the headlights..totally different shape.

Let me also throw this out there, you see plenty of kits out there to convert popups to fixed headlights for other cars (RX7's, older 240SX's, older Vettes, MKIII Supras, etc..), now how many kits do you see that convert fixed headlights to popups? :confused:

I have also yet to see someone with a 2002+ convert it to older popups but vice-versa, you see plenty of.

=Vendetta

I was prepared for another person's opinion to counter mine but lets look at facts now....popup headlights ARE a thing of the past. In the 90's, there were ALOT more cars with them as opossed to currently. Yes, TO ME...those cars you showed DO look outdated but that's my OPINION. ...and yes, they're from the 90's also.
Your opinion. How many times have people been absolutely shocked when I tell them my NSX is a 91. Too many to count.

The pic comparing the C6 Vette to the NSX-R....not even close. The openings are totally different and so is the shape of the headlights..totally different shape.
The original comments was not one of static but coming at you down a road. Now tell me if you owned neither you could tell which is which from afar coming at you.

Let me also throw this out there, you see plenty of kits out there to convert popups to fixed headlights for other cars (RX7's, older 240SX's, older Vettes, MKIII Supras, etc..), now how many kits do you see that convert fixed headlights to popups? :confused:
None because the mechanics required to raise & lower them would require a complete redesign of the area where the pop up would go. Converting to fixed only requires a shell with no mechanics. The engineering cost would be cost prohibitive....But that should have been obvious before you made this comment.

I have also yet to see someone with a 2002+ convert it to older popups but vice-versa, you see plenty of.

See above....Duh!

To me, the popups are cleaner, a la "out of sight, out of mind".

I don't care for the '02+ headlights much, because they look like huge hunks of clear plastic & silver, even though I do like HID. Anyway, the '02+ models look like Honda just replaced the popup mechanism with something that fit the cutout. Now if they'd redone the hood and done the head lights with smaller lenses... :wink:

Very well said!

I like everything about the 02+ except for the side profile by the headlights. That "hump" there has always bothered me....doesn't flow....but it's still the sexiest car on the planet:wink:

The original comments was not one of static but coming at you down a road. Now tell me if you owned neither you could tell which is which from afar coming at you.
Same problem for both fixed or flip ups. No matter, they are both gorgeous and timeless design.

Flip up headlights get mistaken for for MR2, C5, 1st Gen 3kGT, F355, MKIII Supra.

Fixed headlights get mistaken for C6, 2nd gen 3kgt, 360 modena.

Your opinion. How many times have people been absolutely shocked when I tell them my NSX is a 91. Too many to count.

None because the mechanics required to raise & lower them would require a complete redesign of the area where the pop up would go. Converting to fixed only requires a shell with no mechanics. The engineering cost would be cost prohibitive....But that should have been obvious before you made this comment.

See above....Duh!

You're absolutely correct that it would be more difficult to convert to the popup headlights because of the additional hardware and mechanics involved. A whole new reason why one would want fixed headlights....the less extra parts and the simple, design. Thanks for pointing out yet another reason for one to prefer fixed headlights.

While it is difficult to convert to popups, there are MANY other mods that people go through great lengths to achieve on their cars but this still isn't one mod I've EVER seen.

As I've said, popup headlights are a thing of the past and there's no denying that. I'm sure one day down the road, it may come back but it is the way it is right now. I like newer, fresher things and other people may like older more nostalgic things....this varies people to people and even age can be a factor in someone's preference. No matter what, to each their own...it's your car, make it the way YOU want :biggrin:

It is a preference based on personal taste. There is no right or wrong answer.

Back