So I Wound up not getting an NSX...

Status
Not open for further replies.
CerberusM5 said:
Qirex,

Congrats on your turbo. You will like 6speedonline.com. It is a great site for Porsche enthusiasts. I'm glad your car has the bumperettes deleted. Do you know if you have the hollow spoke wheels?

I love that Porsche offers all the individual interior options. I know it is overkill, but leather on all the switches and other surfaces is pretty cool if you ask me. About a year ago I was looking at a 2003 that had every possible leather option (all switches and trim pieces), custom leather along with the all important X50 and ceramic brakes. That car had an MSRP of over $180k. :eek: It is the highest MSRP for a turbo I have ever seen.

yeah, those leather interior pieces add up $$$$ really fast.
I certainly wouldnt have paid $500 for leather on the A/C vents...but hey, i found this gem for $79k!! w/ the porsche 2 yr/100k extended warrantee.

Porsche Prime?
I can't blame you for wanting to stay. This site is much better than theirs. :biggrin:

pbassjo said:
The NSX is a car that was engineered with great care and thought as is the case with most Japanese cars. They don't re-engineer things that work, over and over again until they don't.

You better call up honda and have them start engineering their "timeless masterpiece" so that is able to outperform their luxobarge (RL). While you'r at it - ask them to add some content from the RLs interior.

If you're paying $40k for a 93 its not a problem, but $90K for an 04 w/ no outside temp gauge??

I agree with you that there's too much over-engineering going on out there...but not at porsche. If you actually knew *part* of what you speak, you'de understand the idiocy in your statements.

Did you know that the 911 is an evolutionary design?

This means...when something aint broke...they dont fix it.

The engine block on a 996TT is derived from the same engine in the Lemans GT1...guess what...SAME part number stamped on there.

The trans case...the 993.

etc etc. If you actually look underneath a 996 turbo (only b/c this is what i know for sure) you'll see various parts (with their attendant part numbers) from previous generations. 964, 993, 911...

I think that you are confusing bmw w/ porsche here. Ask any pcar enthusiast and they'll readily tell you that the newest 911 is great b/c they keep all the great parts then set to work fixing the bad ones...like the valve guides from the erly 80s 911...to the dreaed RMS problem (still need to fix that one).

The 911 is still basically the sam car it was 40 years ago. Sorta like the NSX. The difference is that porsche is actually commited to improving their cars. Look at the 997 vs 996 - very similar car, just w/ certain areas improved. I only wish honda did the same w/ the nsx. I dont care how you look at it, but 15 yrs is TOOO LONG!

qirex said:
If you actually knew *part* of what you speak, you'de understand the idiocy in your statements.

That's funny. "You'de" understand the idiocy ...

Porsches are impressive, wonderful cars but they are not my taste.

Hey, you're not gonna make me a convert. I don't wish I had one, not even yours.
I can and do appreciate P-Cars and yours looks very nice.
Good luck and many happy miles.
Stop in from time to time and we can all talk Porsche.

Last edited:
Da Hapa said:
No offense guys but some of you are being awfully harsh. Different strokes for different folks and why get bundled up in bashing another person's tastes?
There's only one person doing that here, and that's qirex. That's how he managed to have the WORST reputation of any member of NSXprime, out of almost 8,000 members, when the reputation system was being used. By bashing the NSX, and bashing the NSX, and bashing the NSX some more. And there he goes again - not only bashing our cars, but doing so by claiming things that are absolutely untrue. For example...

qirex said:
I think its funny how some of you can knock porsche for their practices..when acura (a supposed luxury brand) does the same thing.
Bullsh*t. Acura does NOT do the same thing. Acura does NOT charge $3,090 for metallic paint on a car costing over $70,000, which is absolutely ridiculous on ANY car, not just a luxury car. Acura does NOT charge extra if you want an automatic transmission on an NSX (or most of its cars). Acura does NOT charge extra for HID lights - heck, they even include them as standard equipment on their $27K TSX - and Porsche can't include them on a car costing almost three times as much? Sorry, but you can't tell me that the prices that Porsche charges for its options aren't obscene, and you can't tell me that Acura does the same thing. The facts say otherwise.

So stop telling lies about Acura. It's clear from the fact that you're still hanging around here that you don't really enjoy cars - you're just all about trying to feel like you have something to brag about, to show how much money you spent, to try to make your sorry self feel superior to others, hence your need to bash other cars. So since you insist on bashing cars, go to your Porsche boards, and do it there. Just leave, and don't let the door hit your @ss on your way out.

settle down killer...

I drive a 91 nsx regularly.

Its great at what it is...

i'm not slamming acura or the nsx.

I just wish that they kept the nsx cutting edge against its peers - like in 1991-1995. However, to insinuate that at the present, acura's offering is either cutting edge - current is simply well...its simple.

Everyone who ever visits the HRC part of this forum must understand the need for updating...

Oh yeah and the cost thing is infantile when discussing handmade automobiles...

btw Tiptronic A) sucks and b) IS a no cost option

nsxtasy said:
There's only one person doing that here, and that's qirex. That's how he managed to have the WORST reputation of any member of NSXprime, out of almost 8,000 members, when the reputation system was being used. By bashing the NSX, and bashing the NSX, and bashing the NSX some more. And there he goes again - not only bashing our cars, but doing so by claiming things that are absolutely untrue. For example...

Bullsh*t. Acura does NOT do the same thing. Acura does NOT charge $3,090 for metallic paint on a car costing over $70,000, which is absolutely ridiculous on ANY car, not just a luxury car. Acura does NOT charge extra if you want an automatic transmission on an NSX (or most of its cars). Acura does NOT charge extra for HID lights - heck, they even include them as standard equipment on their $27K TSX - and Porsche can't include them on a car costing almost three times as much? Sorry, but you can't tell me that the prices that Porsche charges for its options aren't obscene, and you can't tell me that Acura does the same thing. The facts say otherwise.

So stop telling lies about Acura. It's clear from the fact that you're still hanging around here that you don't really enjoy cars - you're just all about trying to feel like you have something to brag about, to show how much money you spent, to try to make your sorry self feel superior to others, hence your need to bash other cars. So since you insist on bashing cars, go to your Porsche boards, and do it there. Just leave, and don't let the door hit your @ss on your way out.

Pretty strong words!.....very well said!

SCS2k said:
a $90k Acura SHOULD also out perform a $27k EVO as well.

...so "should" a 996 TT, but on a race track it doesn't. However, on a race track, an NSX does.

Funny how that works isn't it?

Oh ya, and about those obscene options costs, I was able to configure a $108k Boxster S online (Can you say used '99 Ferrari 360 for the same price?), and that doesn't include paint to match sample or any other "exclusive" options like deviated stitching. (Don't you just love how Porsche has a picture of glowing turbos in the "exclusive" options tag on their configurator? Did you ever wonder how much Porsche would charge you to put some of those on a Boxster?)

P.S. If you use "also" in the sentence, using "as well" at the end doesn't help.

Last edited:
qirex said:
btw Tiptronic A) sucks and b) IS a no cost option
Not according to Edmunds:

2005 Porsche 911
Carrera Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Option code 249 5-Speed Tiptronic S Transmission $3,420

Borrowing A Phrase.....

.....from my friend Mr. Wolf, "Gentlemen, do we have a problem?"

Good grief, you ladies :biggrin: sound like a bunch of cackling hens, sad because Ferrari nor BMW nor McLaren isn't doing so well.

Human nature is intriguing at times, present company included. A little philosophy here. Every day is a new to us mere mortals, from a divine entity. Enjoy the day, enjoy your car, enjoy each other.

Or else, we will be forced to take a cold shower together :eek: while imbibing in margaritas. :smile:

slashmatt said:
...so "should" a 996 TT, but on a race track it doesn't. However, on a race track, an NSX does.

Funny how that works isn't it?

Oh ya, and about those obscene options costs, I was able to configure a $108k Boxster S online (Can you say used '99 Ferrari 360 for the same price?), and that doesn't include paint to match sample or any other "exclusive" options like deviated stitching. (Don't you just love how Porsche has a picture of glowing turbos in the "exclusive" options tag on their configurator? Did you ever wonder how much Porsche would charge you to put some of those on a Boxster?)

P.S. If you use "also" in the sentence, using "as well" at the end doesn't help.

Calm down. I certainly don't need my grammar corrected and your attempt at a personal attack is not welcome on this board. I was just trying to make a point. Porsche does charge extra for these items but if Acura offered them (they don't) they most certainly would charge extra as well. Then the NSX would cost more than a Ferrari 360 as well (to use your analogy).

As far as your NSX outperforming a 996TT on a race track, I have a 996TT, let's put them both on the track on street tires (I don't have race tires for that car), with equivalent drivers, at NSXPO 2005, and see who wins.

I meant no insult to the NSX. I have one and actually think it is a far superior car the the Porsche in every area except performance. People bash Porsche for charging for options on a $120k car. Why shouldn't they? They charge for things that YOU CAN'T GET on a $90k car. I'm just asking that you all look at this realistically.

Porsche does option you to death. Worst than that, if you don't get all the options, you just get black buttons on your dash that do nothing but take up space.

I do think though that the NSX should offer a full leather interior or at least a suede option.

nsxtasy said:
That's not true of all of their expensive options. Many of them are standard equipment or no-charge options on the NSX; for example, metallic paint ($3070 :eek: ), HID headlights ($1090), automatic transmission ($3420), and the targa top (not yet out for the 997, but around $7K on the 996 IIRC)...

HIDs are standard on the 996TT, as is Porsche stability management program, all wheel drive, full leather, hollow spoke wheels, 13" brembos, trip computer, power seats, power sunroof and others. There is no Targa for the turbo. The charge for metallic paint is only for certain custom colors now. You can order your car in any color you want if you send them a sample of it. I think that is kind of nice. I meant no insult folks, and I too think the prices charged for some options are silly but it is nice that they are available if one cares to get them.

SCS2k said:

I meant no insult to the NSX. I have one and actually think it is a far superior car the the Porsche in every area except performance.

Enough said.

SCS2k said:
standard on the 996TT
My comments were clearly labeled to apply to the $70K 996 and 997, not to the Twin Turbo model that costs almost twice as much. $70K is already more than twice the average price of a new car, and a buyer of any car that costs that much shouldn't have to pay even more money on top of that for features you can find standard in many cars costing half as much, like HID lights, sunroof or removable roof panel, etc. Let alone something as basic as a color of paint.

I still think it is OBSCENE that they charge an extra $3,070 for any of the following colors:

7G Dark Olive Metallic info $3,070 N/A
56 Cobalt Blue Metallic info $3,070 N/A
59 Slate Grey Metallic info $3,070 N/A
E4 Carmon Red Metallic info $3,070 N/A
U2 GT Silver Metallic info $3,070 N/A
Y1 Seal Grey Metallic info $3,070 N/A
53 Forest Green Metallic info $3,070 N/A

and an extra $825 for any of the following colors:

E7 Atlas Grey Metallic info $825 N/A
Z4 Basalt Black Metallic info $825 N/A
E9 Midnight Blue Metallic info $825 N/A
X1 Arctic Silver Metallic info $825 N/A
G4 Dark Teal Metallic info $825 N/A
J2 Lapis Blue Metallic info $825 N/A

SCS2k said:
The charge for metallic paint is only for certain custom colors now. You can order your car in any color you want if you send them a sample of it.
I'm not talking about custom colors they will match to a sample (for $4315). These are STOCK colors you can find in Porsche's color chart. When you spend $70K for a car, you shouldn't have to pay extra for ANY stock color. PERIOD.

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
When you spend $70K for a car, you shouldn't have to pay extra for ANY stock color. PERIOD.

I agree with with that 100%.

Re: Borrowing A Phrase.....

AndyVecsey said:
.....from my friend Mr. Wolf, "Gentlemen, do we have a problem?"

Good grief, you ladies :biggrin: sound like a bunch of cackling hens, sad because Ferrari nor BMW nor McLaren isn't doing so well.

Human nature is intriguing at times, present company included. A little philosophy here. Every day is a new to us mere mortals, from a divine entity. Enjoy the day, enjoy your car, enjoy each other.

Or else, we will be forced to take a cold shower together :eek: while imbibing in margaritas. :smile:

Salt on the rim please!!- :biggrin:

For ppl who drive $90K cars...you sure have a hard time understanding luxury goods.

Nissan charged $1100 for liquid aluminum 2 years ago. Did they have a right? sure..was it right....maybe?

However, as long as the buyer is happy and feels special - all is great.

I got pissed re: porsche and their option pricing, so i decided to buy used instead. Now that i'm an owner, i understand. If given the choice of buying a 100K car w/ no options vs a $70k car w/ tons of options...its great to have a choice. Porsche gives buyers from different income strata the chance to enjoy their offereings. If porsche had NO options and everything were standard - the cars would be far more expensive and thus more exclusive...kinda liek ferrari.

the nsx is great.

far more entertaining a drive than the TT. An idiot could drive a TT fast...

Hi guys. Just a couple of points to ponder.

1. A good friend owned an 93 NSX, learned to drive at the track in it. Ran down everything out there in the late 90's. Sold it for a 993 TT. Fast, but hated how it handled. Sold it, bought a 996 TT with, get this $30,000 in options. Liked the car but sold it 2 years later for a loss of $60,000 in a down market. Bought a GT3 and is happy.

2. Same guy, now an instructor for the Porsche Club runs down everything in his GT3. We went out in my NSX (92 stock) and ran down lots of cars including some 996 TT's.

In conclusion, NSX is great. Porsches are great and cost more. Good drivers make great cars awesome. His opinion on Porsches is to get one stock, with as few options as possible, because most don't make the car faster and are worthless for resale, unless you keep it for 25 years.

nsxtasy said:
My comments were clearly labeled to apply to the $70K 996 and 997, not to the Twin Turbo model that costs almost twice as much. $70K is already more than twice the average price of a new car, and a buyer of any car that costs that much shouldn't have to pay even more money on top of that for features you can find standard in many cars costing half as much, like HID lights, sunroof or removable roof panel, etc. Let alone something as basic as a color of paint.

I still think it is OBSCENE that they charge an extra $3,070 for any of the following colors:

7G Dark Olive Metallic info $3,070 N/A
56 Cobalt Blue Metallic info $3,070 N/A
59 Slate Grey Metallic info $3,070 N/A
E4 Carmon Red Metallic info $3,070 N/A
U2 GT Silver Metallic info $3,070 N/A
Y1 Seal Grey Metallic info $3,070 N/A
53 Forest Green Metallic info $3,070 N/A

and an extra $825 for any of the following colors:

E7 Atlas Grey Metallic info $825 N/A
Z4 Basalt Black Metallic info $825 N/A
E9 Midnight Blue Metallic info $825 N/A
X1 Arctic Silver Metallic info $825 N/A
G4 Dark Teal Metallic info $825 N/A
J2 Lapis Blue Metallic info $825 N/A

I'm not talking about custom colors they will match to a sample (for $4315). These are STOCK colors you can find in Porsche's color chart. When you spend $70K for a car, you shouldn't have to pay extra for ANY stock color. PERIOD.

Ken,
I agree with you on this point 100%. I hate the fact that Porsche charges a premium for various metallic paints. When I was shopping for a turbo two years ago, I questioned my salesperson on this topic. He gave me the response that metallic paints cost more to manufacturer and apply. What, maybe $50 per car at most if anything? Maybe we should have pbassjo (bodyshop person) chime in on the cost of materials and labor for metallic paint. I said fine, but why are there $3000 premiums on certain colors. His response; this is the price you pay to be more exclusive. :rolleyes: This is exceesive on an $80k Carrera let alone a 130k turbo.

Keep in mind that even Chevy charges premiums on the Corvette as well for certain colors. I remember paying a premium for Millenium Yellow on my ZO6.

This is just another way of the manufacturers squeezing more blood out of the consumer. A shame, but nothing new.

With that said, I do like the ability to choose various individual options offered by manufacturers such as Porsche. However, you can get carried away, such as the $100k Boxster example. However, no one configures a Boxster in such a way.

CerberusM5 said:
However, you can get carried away, such as the $100k Boxster example. However, no one configures a Boxster in such a way.

Thus making the few 100k Boxsters that were ordered collectable in the future and all the rest disposable.

steveny said:
Thus making the few 100k Boxsters that were ordered collectable in the future and all the rest disposable.

The few who purchased $100k Boxsters are either sharp automotive investors or have more money than sense. You know what my guess would be. :wink:

CerberusM5 said:
The few who purchased $100k Boxsters are either sharp automotive investors or have more money than sense. You know what my guess would be. :wink:

I bet many said the same about the 550.

steveny said:
I bet many said the same about the 550.

Hmmm, I have been wondering how to convince my wife that getting a Boxster S would be a sound investment thirty years from now. Now I just need to explain to her who James Dean is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back