Smoke Pop and Burt Capacitor..

OK on my way to work I get this loud POP then smoke comming from the center speaker. Now the interior smells like burnt capacitors.

any ideals to how much it might cost to fix? and will it be safe to turn on the stereo? I turned it off just incase it isnt.

------------------
'92 Sebring Silver NSX #181

From the topic name, I thought this was going to be a thread about two new zany cartoon characters. I can see it now Smoke Pop is the grizzled veteran driver, past his prime he uses his wrenching skills to keep the NSX race ready for the raw talent of up and coming driver, Burt Capacitor...

ryoma, I encourage you to seek help for your addictions. there are quite a few treatment facilities in the houston area.
lol.gif

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 15 November 2001).]

here is my delima..

The center speaker NEVER worked for me untill this POP noise came out of it.

From what I have read the am in the foot well controlls the speaker? so the amp in the foot well is bad.. Then again the speaker in the footwell works//??? weird.

------------------
'92 Sebring Silver NSX #181

The center speaker NEVER worked for me

Are you sure? (Many people never notice it working because it's not as loud as the other speakers, even though there is indeed sound coming from it...)

correct, the bass speaker i believe has two amps in it however i believe their is something on the center speaker that also makes it pop and crackel try changing out just the little speaker i beleive it is like $80 from the dealer doing just this solved my problem

The center console speaker is controlled by the sub amp. in the passenger footwell. My guess is there is nothing wrong with the center speaker. Pull the sub amp. and send it to the fella in Fl...don't recall the name but is shown in the FAQ Section as mentioned. Happy with the work <$100.00.

This happened to me in my 91 as well. It is HIGHLY recommened you pull the driver and passenger speakers/amp. at the same time. The caps. are know to leak...then short..so it's just a matter of time and you will have the same problem with the remaining amps..

There is no amp in the center speaker, it is located in the subwoofer as a combined amp for both. But one thing you stated is that you saw smoke coming from the center speaker. This is not a good sign IMO. Sounds like the amp shorted out internally and sent straight DC voltage to the center speaker and caused the voice coil in that speaker to FRY. I would have it all checked professionally, as I assume that even if you replace the amp the center channel speaker probably will not work. But you can always try.

PS: weren't you asking about where to get replacment caps for your amps in a post a few weeks ago? You can get them @
DIGI-KEY.COM

[This message has been edited by dochartung (edited 17 November 2001).]

Back