She finally came in! I am finally an owner!

So I just met up with Kuni this morning and rode in his car ('98 with Tein RAs). Some thoughts:

1. His clutch (stock) is about 3x stiffer than mine (stock). My clutch is a little chattery, so I'm thinking that my clutch may be going. It doesn't slip, just chatters upon engagement.

2. His brakes (Spoon S2000 calipers with Hawk HP+) are way more sensitive (and noisier) than mine. Overall, I feel that my car is just a tad under powered on the braking side, whereas Kuni's brakes are probably best suited for the track after being properly warmed up.

3. The power steering is a nice feature.

4. The Type R shift knob is NICE. Heavy and tricks you into thinking the shift is shortened.

5. The Tein RAs are really stiff, even on their softest setting. Kuni also has the full product line from STMPO, which is nice as well.

Also, figured out that I have a couple of bad cam seals.

Congrats! I just hope you also didn't inherit tmbromley's long-winded posts/rants. :biggrin::wink:

Hey,

There is only one long winded poster around here and guess what I ain't going anywhere so don't think you've heard the last of "Earnest T Bass" Synth. Fugetaboutit.....:biggrin:

So I just met up with Kuni this morning and rode in his car ('98 with Tein RAs). Some thoughts:

1. His clutch (stock) is about 3x stiffer than mine (stock). My clutch is a little chattery, so I'm thinking that my clutch may be going. It doesn't slip, just chatters upon engagement.

2. His brakes (Spoon S2000 calipers with Hawk HP+) are way more sensitive (and noisier) than mine. Overall, I feel that my car is just a tad under powered on the braking side, whereas Kuni's brakes are probably best suited for the track after being properly warmed up.

3. The power steering is a nice feature.

4. The Type R shift knob is NICE. Heavy and tricks you into thinking the shift is shortened.

5. The Tein RAs are really stiff, even on their softest setting. Kuni also has the full product line from STMPO, which is nice as well.

Also, figured out that I have a couple of bad cam seals.

It'll take just a bit to work with your release to get away from that. One thing I'll say - the OEM clutch is not Acura's/Honda's strong point. That clutch has about 5000 miles on it and I've been driving clutches for about 47 years and nothing but. Never wear out clutches. If I were to do it again I would use the SOS clutch and I would have if it had been available - it wasn't. They were just in the development stages.

It should be fine but they don't take to a lot of stop and go traffic very well otherwise under normal speedy type driving it's fine. I'm sure you'll be doing more of the later as I did!

On why I sold it to my buddy Saleen - time to pay off the mortgage and get ready for retirement! Once that happens I'll have another!

It'll take just a bit to work with your release to get away from that. One thing I'll say - the OEM clutch is not Acura's/Honda's strong point. That clutch has about 5000 miles on it and I've been driving clutches for about 47 years and nothing but. Never wear out clutches. If I were to do it again I would use the SOS clutch and I would have if it had been available - it wasn't. They were just in the development stages.

It should be fine but they don't take to a lot of stop and go traffic very well otherwise under normal speedy type driving it's fine. I'm sure you'll be doing more of the later as I did!

On why I sold it to my buddy Saleen - time to pay off the mortgage and get ready for retirement! Once that happens I'll have another!

Oh ok. I totally understand. Just so you know the way you worded it here "On why I sold it to my buddy Saleen". It makes it sound like you sold it to me. I did not buy this car just for the record. I wish I had the chance to buy it when I was in the market for one tho.

Quote: 1. His clutch (stock) is about 3x stiffer than mine (stock). My clutch is a little chattery, so I'm thinking that my clutch may be going. It doesn't slip, just chatters upon engagement.

Is the "chattery" happening in all gears? As I understand, it happens normally (as posted somewhere on this site) in 1st gear. This gives you 2 choices, feather the clutch in 1st or rev to about 2500 RPM to engage and bypass the chatter. If it still chatters then you may have a clutch problem.

Oh ok. I totally understand. Just so you know the way you worded it here "On why I sold it to my buddy Saleen". It makes it sound like you sold it to me. I did not buy this car just for the record. I wish I had the chance to buy it when I was in the market for one tho.

It sure does Saleen, sorry bout my hurried entry. Of course you didn't buy the car - but I sure appreciate the sentiments expressed as you most likely know. You've got a great car now anyway. I have just about a year of payments on the house and it's done! That's the big aim.

Back