Selling my NSX for a C6 Vette

i tried!! we were looking in the tampa area and the wife decided it wasn't "new englandy enough". then we tried austin, THAT wasn't "new englandy enough". then there is la jolla, ca...... that was just fine with her but who can afford to live there!!???

I shopped quite a bit before getting a C6 in Nov. 911, Z06, Jag xkr. I am an NSX fan, but I did not drive one this time, as I had driven several when I was shopping for the C5 I had a few years back.

Not a single problem yet. The recall mentioned earlier in this post only affected a few early cars. The only time I ever get a squeak out of it is when I go diagonally over a steep driveway and the car's weight is on opposing corners. Never had a problem with my C5 either.

It has actually gotten faster in the first 10k miles. It breaks the tires loose at about 4k rpm if I floor it from a start.

Seats fit my large frame well, quiet & fuel efficient, shifter not as good as nsx or 911, but is quite good. I have only missed one shift when driving with enthusiasm.

I have an order in for the 06 Z06. Previous poster was correct: it is close to being an entirely new car. It even has an aluminum frame. Lots of neat features, like when you start it, it revs to 3k rpm for a quick moment, which opens flaps in the mufflers that turn them into straight pipes for a nice little burst of nascar style noise.

Neither car will match the NSX for refinement. I just like the speed and warranty. I would gladly pay a bit more and get an nsx, but it is missing the warranty and 100hp. When I can afford a nice stable of 5 or 6 cars, there will be an nsx in the garage.

First of all, congrat's on the C6. I sincerely hopes it brings you miles of smiles.

We just bought our 1998 NSX. When we made the decision to spend that kind of money on a sports car, I considered several options. One was the C6. My local dealers wouldn't let me drive one (ironic isn't it) but we got to play around with a couple at a GM sponsored driving event as well as a more private screening.

I should say that (no offense intended) I hontesly used to feel that every corvette after 1967 is a piece of crap that was more suited to hairy guys with gold chains than real sports cars. Closed minded and stereotypical, I know but... As much as I respect the performance of the C5, ZR-1 and Z06 it's just a car I'd never own.

My mind changed with the C6. I like the way it drives, I like the way it looks and but for a few odd things in the interior (the steering wheel and the (IMO) stupid door locks)) I like the whole car.

But at the end of the day, I've always wanted an NSX. I honestly can't use the incremental performance increase on public roads and I think my 7-year old NSX looks better, will hold its value better, and is more "special" than a dime a dozen Vette.

But I can definitely understand why someone would want one. 400bhp is still 400bhp and that car hustles.

So again, good luck and report in every once in a while. We want to hear how you find the car once you've got more miles under your belt.

The C6 is a great car but not for me. The C5,C6 and Viper are just too big for my taste. I don't care for the interior on the C6 or GM vehicles in general. Too much plastic.

What I liked about my NSX 6 years ago still appeals to me today.
I've been toying with the idea of a supercharger but when I get in my car and drive I realize that it is fast enough for me and can get me in plenty of trouble if I start to fool around.

I don't need to know that my car is acknowledge by any magazine or the public as a great value, fast, cutting edge etc.. I am the only one who has to enjoy it. The only pain about owning a NSX is the attention it draws when I park it. Every time I get out of the car someone comes over to admire it or give me a compliment. (got 3 today just going to the store to buy a gallon of milk) I'd rather people didn't notice the car at all, after all it's for me, not them. Coming out of a store finding people hanging around my car makes me uncomfortable. When I start walking into store and I see a group of kids whizzing by on their bikes like a flock of birds I know where they are headed. Turn around and yep, there they are. I haven't had them accidentally scratch the car yet but when it does happen I won't be surprised. I won't freak out. I'll just fix it.

If I were to buy a different car it wouldn't be a C6 or Viper it would be a used Ferrari, say a 355. The size, sound, look and character is more appealing to me.

I guess growing up I had my fill of cars that were always intended to be the meanest, fastest and most brutal ready to kick sand in the face of all challengers. Now I just don't care. Who cares if my car is or isn't included in some magazine's lists?

The best thing about Mustangs, Vettes or muscle cars is that when they see me in my car they rev their engines, lay rubber and leave. It puts a smile on my face but I'm never jealous and certainly not envious of their car's ability.
Good for them.

Sheeze I woke up crabby today. :smile:

2000 NSX-T
Length: 174.2 in.
Width: 71.3 in.
Wheel Base: 99.6 in.
Curb Weight: 3160 lbs.

C6
Length: 174.6 in.
Width: 72.6 in.
Wheel Base: 105.7 in.
Curb Weight: 3179 lbs.

The C6 is not any bigger than the NSX. Funny huh? I know it looks long because of it's hood, but it's not.

I bought a Black/Tan Auto with the 3.15 gearing.

pbassjo said:
The C6 is a great car but not for me. The C5,C6 and Viper are just too big for my taste. I don't care for the interior on the C6 or GM vehicles in general. Too much plastic.

What I liked about my NSX 6 years ago still appeals to me today.
I've been toying with the idea of a supercharger but when I get in my car and drive I realize that it is fast enough for me and can get me in plenty of trouble if I start to fool around.

I don't need to know that my car is acknowledge by any magazine or the public as a great value, fast, cutting edge etc.. I am the only one who has to enjoy it. The only pain about owning a NSX is the attention it draws when I park it. Every time I get out of the car someone comes over to admire it or give me a compliment. (got 3 today just going to the store to buy a gallon of milk) I'd rather people didn't notice the car at all, after all it's for me, not them. Coming out of a store finding people hanging around my car makes me uncomfortable. When I start walking into store and I see a group of kids whizzing by on their bikes like a flock of birds I know where they are headed. Turn around and yep, there they are. I haven't had them accidentally scratch the car yet but when it does happen I won't be surprised. I won't freak out. I'll just fix it.

If I were to buy a different car it wouldn't be a C6 or Viper it would be a used Ferrari, say a 355. The size, sound, look and character is more appealing to me.

I guess growing up I had my fill of cars that were always intended to be the meanest, fastest and most brutal ready to kick sand in the face of all challengers. Now I just don't care. Who cares if my car is or isn't included in some magazine's lists?

The best thing about Mustangs, Vettes or muscle cars is that when they see me in my car they rev their engines, lay rubber and leave. It puts a smile on my face but I'm never jealous and certainly not envious of their car's ability.
Good for them.

Sheeze I woke up crabby today. :smile:

Joe, part of the problem is that your car always looks so clean, and red, other than that, it's a stealth NSX!!!! Also, I agree with you on the "it's easy to get into trouble just the way the car is", don't need any more trouble than we get. Unless of course, you want to engage the services of an expensive attorney we know, that's used your services!!! Drive carefully next weekend, don't need anymore "stories" of Taconic 8, etc. :biggrin:

nsxrock said:
2000 NSX-T
Length: 174.2 in.
Width: 71.3 in.
Wheel Base: 99.6 in.
Curb Weight: 3160 lbs.

C6
Length: 174.6 in.
Width: 72.6 in.
Wheel Base: 105.7 in.
Curb Weight: 3179 lbs.

The C6 is not any bigger than the NSX. Funny huh? I know it looks long because of it's hood, but it's not.

I bought a Black/Tan Auto with the 3.15 gearing.

You wouldn't happen to have the height numbers would you? I'm curious because I thought the NSX was just a tad shorter then the C5.

pbassjo said:

This comment cannot be expressed enough for me:
The only pain about owning a NSX is the attention it draws when I park it. I drove up to the Twin Cities over the weekend to hang out with some friends. I so wanted to take my car, but I was staying over night at a hotel and I didn't feel comfortable leaving it there. I told my wife that if I had a vette I wouldn't feel as uncomfortable leaving it because most people know what it is and they see enough of them.
Whether my car draws good or bad attention, I'd prefer it didn't draw any. Sometimes I forget what I'm driving because the car is just so smooth and comfortable.... then I'll look at someone and think "What the heck are you looking at".....Oh- he's looking at my car :frown:

I've been fortunate to have not been keyed or accidental damage from on lookers, but that's mostly because I'm too paranoid to leave it anywhere too long....

The C6 would be a fun car, but I just feel all around the NSX is the perfect car for me. Yeah that 400hp would be fun once and awhile, however you can only use it so much on the streets. The next has a powerband that makes driving in the city easy, but when you want some fun it's there too.

Others need more out of a sports car. Like my buddy who bought a viper. He just bought a supercharger for it ($7500 w/new exhaust)...that'll up him to 550hp at the wheels. Fun car to play with, but all around...naaaa.

I still have yet to drive a C6 as dealers here think they are made of gold and somehow worth a 5-10K markup. Give me a break. :mad:

Anyway, at first I really didn't like the look. I thought the C5 was far better. But, the more I see it, the more I like it. The Interior is much better than the C5, but still not up to NSX quality.

I guess a huge benefit of owning a vette is that I probably wouldn't feel bad about leaving it in parking lots. There are always at least another 5 or 6 close by. I am always worried about leaving the NSX anywhere. :frown:

Anyway, let us know what you think about the C6 Z06. I think it might just be the best bang for the bang ever produced. It will no doubt smoke every NSX except a FX500.

newby said:
The only pain about owning a NSX is the attention it draws when I park it.

Believe it or not, I get much more attention in my Z06 in a parking lot than I do my NSX......But when it comes to attention, the Viper makes my NSX and my Z06 look like Honda Civics.

caseycarson said:
Believe it or not, I get much more attention in my Z06 in a parking lot than I do my NSX......But when it comes to attention, the Viper makes my NSX and my Z06 look like Honda Civics.

Some how I don't agree with that.....

Caseycarson has a point.

My NSX's drew more eyes but the Vette invites more people to approach and talk about the car. I have had many more conversations because of the car than my 4 NSX's ever did.

It's probably because of two things. 1. it's an American car 2. people don't view me as wealthy like they did when I drove the NSX. It's easier to approach a common man :)

Here are the height numbers.

NSX-T- 46.1 in
C6- 49 in

I drive so much these days and the traffic is SOOO bad in south Florida that I don't know if I could own a stick as a daily driver again. The C6 is more luxurious than the Exotic NSX for daily driving.

vtecNSX1 said:
To each his own i guess. I am not a fan of the styling i think it looks like a bloated C5. Alot of people seem to like it though so good luck with it!

I completely agree with you. When I first got my NSX in 2000, the C5 vette's seemed very nice to me. I wanted to own a C5 along with my NSX. Now this new C6 has some nice additions; however, it looks like the "bizarro" version of the C5. :biggrin:

Back to back photos of Steve T's
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

NsXMas said:
test drove a C6 yesterday at Autoshow In Motion, the manual 6 speed.

Didn't feel as "race car" like as my NSX, but it was not too bad. The interior still is a lot worse wthan my 15 year old NSX, but hey I can over look that.

Bottom line is I like my NSX, nay, love my NSX, a lot more than the C6.

I also went to the GM Autoshow in Motion (Phoenix International Raceway), stood in line for 45 minutes for the 6-speed C6 and when it was my turn, I took my sweet time. :)

Got into the car and chatted up the 'professional driver' in the passenger seat. He was an instructor for Skip Barber Racing School and we talked about the NSX. He said it's a fantastic car and the only complaint he had about it was for the track, it was a bit underpowered.

While talking, I was familiarizing myself with the interior, getting the seat and mirrors set, etc.. the vette I got didn't have any of the HUD or Nav system or anything, the center console had the kinda 'calculatorish' LCD displays, but when the gauges lit, up they looked pretty nice. This was the 6-speed and the shifter didn't really feel right to me. Not sure if it was the grip on top (which seemed a little big), the throw angles, or what, but it would take some getting used to.

Time to go... I asked for the keys and he said I just had to hit 'that button'... Ahh.. neat. We set off for the starting 'stop sign' at the beginning of the track. At this point, I noticed something strange about the clutch. I'm not sure if it was because it was a hydraulic clutch or that this car had been abused for however many laps, but the clutch just felt weird to me. Got to head off around the track and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear kept me buried in my seat. There were a couple of near-100mph straightaways and a long sweeping right-hander in between that we took around 70mph and the car stuck much better than I was anticipating. I'll just say it's *really* hard to get a feel for a car in a single 1:20 lap. :( After pulling in to the staging area again, we talked for a bit more about my shifting technique, bad habits I've picked up, etc.. Was really fun. I asked about the clutch and he said it was because it was a hydraulic clutch, there's not much mechanical feedback and you just have to get a feel for it. At this point, the next person waiting outside my door was getting a little exasperated, so I got out. :)

All in all, it seems like a great car. Really fast, I liked the handling better than I was anticipating, and the modern-day-gadget options appeal to me even though the base model I drove didn't have any of them. However, in that short amount of time, I really couldn't get the feel for it or see myself in one. I guess the best way to say it is that I'm in like, but not in love. :D

nsxrock has a good point, certain cars do attract more conversation. I recently sold my 67 Camaro, but when I did own it, people would strike up conversation at stop lights, gas stations, wherever. Quite annoying for someone as anti-social as myself. :)

waldorf said:
I also went to the GM Autoshow in Motion (Phoenix International Raceway), stood in line for 45 minutes for the 6-speed C6 and when it was my turn, I took my sweet time. :)
Wow, wish I had known. We could have compared notes right there and then.

Do you still have your NSX? We should get together for a drive sometimes.

Where abouts in Phoenix are you - North?

PS - I agree 100% with your observations. The shifter felt really un-sports like. My Honda Accord's shifter had more feedback. The short lap is not really enough time to explore the C6, but it was enough to let me know that it is not up the NSX in terms of handling and feel.

Good luck with the C6. I personally never liked vettes. I put them in the same category as stangs, fbirds, cameros, etc. They are not refined cars inside or outside, like the NSX. But the C6 is very impressive in regards to brute HP, if that's all you're interested in. And the body style is a bit improved, but still doesn't inspire me.

NSX-Tuner said:
Good luck with the C6. I personally never liked vettes. I put them in the same category as stangs, fbirds, cameros, etc. They are not refined cars inside or outside, like the NSX. But the C6 is very impressive in regards to brute HP, if that's all you're interested in. And the body style is a bit improved, but still doesn't inspire me.

Personally, I think Corvettes are excellent performance cars, especially if you consider their low cost. They are common and cheap in certain respects, but for a sports car, they unbeatable for the money.

I would not go as far as categorizing the C6 with the likes of mustangs and camaros. Then again, I have friends that tell me my NSX is just a large overpriced Toyota MR2.

I agree that the NSX interior is more refined and much higher quality than the C6, but it is terribly outdated with zero modern conveniences. The NSX interior design is two decades old and it shows. Excellent seats though. However, the NSX is a very rewarding car to drive in the twisties, but terribly underpowered.

I just wish Honda had the balls to produce the HSC and redeem itself to the sports car community. What a bunch of wimps!

I saw the New Z06 on the road this weekend. I have to give props to GM.
The car in the Z06 trim is very nice. It looks very different coming down the road, You can see the difference between it and the normal C6 from a distance. I am very sure that I will go and check these out when they finally hit the dealerships. Not as a replacement, but I wouldn't stop my wifee from buying one. :wink: They look sweeeeet. (I hate vettes)

len3.8 said:
I saw the New Z06 on the road this weekend. I have to give props to GM.
The car in the Z06 trim is very nice. It looks very different coming down the road, You can see the difference between it and the normal C6 from a distance. I am very sure that I will go and check these out when they finally hit the dealerships. Not as a replacement, but I wouldn't stop my wifee from buying one. :wink: They look sweeeeet. (I hate vettes)

Wow! I am glad to hear the new ZO6 looks good in real life. I have seen the auto show pics and am quite excited for the production cars to arrive. The ZO6 should look more aggressive than the standard version. I think your wife will love it. I keep telling my wife she will love her new ZO6. Too bad she can't drive a manual transmission. :smile:

Back