Selling my NSX for a C6 Vette

The HUD is nice. I had it in my 240 SX SE, and never got a speeding ticket. The downside of it is that when the HUD started to fade, it cost over $1k to repair the sucker.

If I were to get a C6, it would be a daily beater that sits outside, whereas my NSX would be pampered in my garage.

And I agree with Joel - I studied 2005 C5 owners' experiences at corvetteforum.com, lots of problems. GM just sucks leaps and bounds.

James, I too enjoyed your website. Thanks.

Its cool to see someone able to own 3 NSX's, a Porsche, a Viper (and who knows what else), and now a C6. That's living...for a car guy!

We all know Honda is better than GM...Acura is better than Chevrolet...the NSX has low production numbers and is a hand-built exotic when compared to the C6. It is also true that the C6's newness will wear off soon and it will become ubiqitous. The NSX will remain rare and probably only get more rare.

BUT, when you can afford to sample cars, trying a C6 at this time would be a natural. James WILL get to enjoy the newness, because it is still kind of rare. I might have waited for the Z06, but who knows, maybe James will trade for one and then have another year of rarity.

I can appreciate his viewpoint of wanting XM, MP3, 6-in-dash-CD, etc. Loving the HUD is something I can't relate to, but given the source (James' review), it must be pretty cool.

BTW, cool picture of the yellow C6 next to C6 racecar.

Being a car guy, I appreciate the improvements the C6 has over the C5. There are a lot of cars that I am glad are produced, but that I will never own. Some due to $ and others because they just aren't for me.

Remember, its all good!

Bill
(hopelessly stuck in the 90's with my ol' NSX)

NetViper said:
If we could only find a way to fit the Z06 engine in the NSX :)

When I was in Vegas for SEMA I visited Renegade Hybrids. They are the folks who put Chvy V8's in anything that Porsche has ever made. The owner said he has considered a V8 kit for the NSX. If you're really interested in such a beast, it may be worth a call to see how serious he was.

NetViper said:
If we could only find a way to fit the Z06 engine in the NSX :)

When I was in Vegas for SEMA I visited Renegade Hybrids. They are the folks who put Chvy V8's in anything that Porsche has ever made. The owner said he has considered a V8 kit for the NSX. If you're really interested in such a beast, it may be worth a call to see how serious he was.

The Man said:
Heres a black one with my #

That looks great!!! But what seperates the NSX from just about any other sports car is the timeless design and rarity of them...I see three Vettes and four Porsche's a day on my way to work....Maybe ONE NSX a month :eek:

I'm not a big fan of the new C6...find the NSX (of any year) far more appealing, sexy and exotic....however, that new Z06 blows the NSX right out of the water!! ROFL ....I would hand over the keys of ANY NSX (short of a FX 500 equipped) for that car....bad azz! :)

Brian2by2 said:
I too had a horrible experience with GM...

They sold me a pick up truck knowing that i needed it to tow a mobile detailing trailer. The truck they showed me was great! But one problem: when i went to get a hitch, they wouldn't put one on because "this truck was not intended to tow anything". Ya, I took it back the next day and told them i want a different truck. They wouldn't budge and said they'd give me $12,000 for it when I just paid $16000! I was pissed...shoulda gotten my lawyer involved right there or gotten proof i went back to them the next day but i was stupid.

blah. screw chevy. screw ed morse chevy

Another good reason why sometimes it's best to have a car delivered to your home. I don't know about the rest of the country, but in Florida, if you have a car delivered to your home, you invoke a 3-day "right of recision" period, during which you can return the car to the dealer with no problem.

My heart aches every time I hear a bad car ownership story. I have had good luck with GM, but BAD BAD BAD luck with Mitsubishi. I'll save it for another time...off topic anyway.

I saw another C6 yesterday on the highway as I was driving my '98 Spa Yellow Targa. This is my second NSX, so I'm a bit bias here. The C6 looks nice, but still lacks something-- I'm not exactly sure what it is. No question, as "an ass-kicking speedster" it probably humbles my NSX in some speed capacity. As for styling. I think Chevrolet go a bit lazy and attempted to adhere to the last iteration of Vettes with some less than extraordinary changes. Correct me if I'm wrong here (having owned a '93 Mazda RX7 twin-turbo), but does anyone note the similarity between the RX7 front and the C6? OK, maybe the dimensions vary, but the C6 looks alot like my old RX7 on steriods.

The C6 is a handsome car. It's looks are year-long, not timeless. Mark my words, the C6's appearance will age within a year or two.

The NSX style, now 13+ years old, still garners stares by it's admiring public.
It's limited production keep it a rarity in today's sub-$100K car world.

I'll take that sloping hood and pure race car view out the front window anytime of the elongated hood and low seating position of the Corvettes.

For me the difference here is raw, slightly less sophisticated American muscle car power versus Formula One technology, GT Prototype looks and feel, and
indestructible durability. It's kind of like an instant gratification drag/street racer vs. an F1 street-legal road car.

I guess I'm more bias than I thought.

Larry T

I've already placed an order for a c6 zo6. I made an initial deposit and was promised delivery no latter than 12-05.

Tony F
Austin TX Mobile AL

No I mean 12-05 dealer promised. Will be titled as 06
Tony

I think anyone that loves the NSX, but feels like they don't have enough power, should consider the new Corvette. Where the Corvette beats the NSX is in power, especially low end torque. If that's what you want, I can't see why not consider it. But, I would wait for the second year of production.

OK, I've been holding off on this, but now I have a few comments:

Most NSX owners did not buy their car for its raw power anyway. I chose the NSX over a Viper because of things like its hand-built engine, Titanium connecting rods, aluminum body, quality, reliability, exotic looks, etc. Comparing hp when discussing cars like the NSX, Viper, Z06 is like apples and oranges.

Now when it comes to the C6: When I first read about it, it sounded like a good evolution on the C5…improving in several areas on what had become a fairly ubiquitous car.

When I first saw one (early on, at the Petite LeMans race in late Sept), I was very unimpressed. It looked like a plastic model car, blown up to full size. But that’s just me.

When I first heard about the 500 hp Z06, I thought it was yet another good evolution to keep up with the Jones (Viper, M5) or beat them (Porsche, etc)…at least on paper.

Since reading the AutoWeek description of the Z06, I have come to reverse my feelings about the car. I consider the C5 Z06 to be a simple evolution of the C5. I also consider the C6 to be an evolution of the C5. However, after reading that article, I have come to believe that the Z06 is an order of magnitude greater than the regular C6.

Here are some reasons: The C6 Z06 has HEAVY influence from the C5-R program (ALMS GTS race car program). Each LS7 engine (unique to the Z06) is hand built by a single individual, one at a time (like the NSX). It has Titanium connecting rods, like the NSX. It cylinders are bored and honed using deck plates. This is usually only done on hand-built racing engines. It has 6-bolt main bearing caps. It has a dry sump oil system (this is extremely rare on a street car). This car’s bodywork shares little with the C6 (it is wider and longer) but shares much with the C6-R (the soon-to-be 24 hours of LeMans winner, evolved from the C5-R LeMans winner). The front fenders are carbon fiber. It has a real diffuser, splitter, and spoiler tuned for seriously fast speeds. I get the impression that the C5-R/C6-R guys were just let loose on this car (unlike the C5 Z06). The front brakes are six-piston with 6 individual pads.

In summary, the C6 Z06 appears to be nothing like a C6. Driving out of the showroom, I’m not sure what other production car will hold a candle to this car’s performance on the track.

However, its still a Corvette and I still love my NSX :smile: . My $0.02

NSXBill2 said:
OK,
In summary, the C6 Z06 appears to be nothing like a C6. Driving out of the showroom, I’m not sure what other production car will hold a candle to this car’s performance on the track.

However, its still a Corvette and I still love my NSX :smile: . My $0.02

I agree with you 100%. The 06 Z06 is unbelieveable. They have really done their homework on this car. When it comes it, it will blow away almost any car on the street. I have to congratulate chevy for really going after what I am sure is the best vette ever made.

I of course love my nsx, but if I had 90K to spend, it would be very very very hard to spend it on a 05 NSX with a Z06 coming in around $75K. I would imagine after driving the Z06, it would not even be a contest. Time will tell.

NetViper said:
I of course love my nsx, but if I had 90K to spend, it would be very very very hard to spend it on a 05 NSX with a Z06 coming in around $75K. I would imagine after driving the Z06, it would not even be a contest. Time will tell.

If I had $90K to spend, I'd buy a used F-car. ICBW but, I'm not sure anyone ever pays the $90K MSRP of a new NSX. Most get leased out on some special deal or go to auction, usually bringing low 80's or even high 70's depending on how long it takes a dealer to unload it. There are a lot of interesting cars, new and used, including the new Z06 for that money.

I personally would like to see Honda close the chapter on the NSX. It's had a great run. They can take some time off and come up with something else with a new name (cheap car with great performance like 350Z or expensive V-10 exotic).

looks like chevy is taking a page right out of the nsx book on some of these specs:
Titanium connecting rods and intake valves
Engine hand-built at GM’s new Performance Build Center
Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium front cradle

if the link you provided is truly what the c6 z06 is all about, if i were in a position to afford one, id seriously consider one over the nsx as much as i love it. probably not in my future though with a baby 2 weeks away :P.

Last edited:
I urge everyone to go and test drive the new C6. I did the other day and I was very impressed with the car. It is well made and the performance is awesome. The few things that I prefer about my NSX over the C6 are the feel of the road through the suspension and steering, the sound of the engine behind my head, and the exotic looks it has. Unfortunately, those qualities are not enough to keep the NSX competitive in today's market. Honda really has to do something one way or another. Either discontinue production of the current NSX, or come out with a new affordable exotic and kick some ass again like they did 15 years ago.

Yes I am a HONDA guy, BUT after reading about the Z06 in C&D I'm IMPRESSED! I haven't driven one, but you have to give GM credit for doing their homwork on this car. Although I would still keep my NSX, but as a TRUE car enthusiast you cannot deny the Z06 its props.

dunno where you test drove one, but the dealers around here wont let you. several of us have posted our experiences with trying to drive a regular ol' C5 and we're basically met with the attitude "real corvette buyers don't test drive" from chevy dealers.

robr said:
dunno where you test drove one, but the dealers around here wont let you. several of us have posted our experiences with trying to drive a regular ol' C5 and we're basically met with the attitude "real corvette buyers don't test drive" from chevy dealers.

I walked up to a salesman at Lou Bachrodt Chevrolet in Coral Springs and asked if they had a C6 available for a test drive. The guy went inside, gave me the key fob and off we went.

You really need to get out of Massoftwoshits Rob! :biggrin:

Back