Rear Wheel Stud Removal / Hub Removal

Larry,

one thing that i always wondered is if hammering the studs in or out won't damage or reduce
the life of the bearing...i mean..impacts on a bearing is not good, at least that is my understanding.

What do you say?

Thanks,
Nuno

It is rare when I change studs that I replace them with stock(usually longer studs), so the above method does not apply. I typically remove the hub and change the studs on the bench and I press them out, no pressure on the bearing. I do think the bearing will be fine, probably better if you make sure the axle nut is still in place and tight, to keep the assy from moving at all, like above.

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB

did he do all 5 since he was in there? thats what i do never have to open that wheel up again for the next 20 years.

only replacing one is 5 times the work if the other ones ever go bad.

studs

It is rare when I change studs that I replace them with stock(usually longer studs), Regards,
LarryB

Hey, I do the same thing...........in fact recently got a new stud and he's far from stock..........may even last longer then the last one :>))))))))))sorry, had to post!!

Thanks for this thread. I just put new ARP studs in a rear hub after one broke while I was tightening it (with a torque wrench). Grinding a small relief in the hub housing worked nicely.

Looked like you did the fronts only. Those are indeed easy (I removed the hub) but the rear are quite different.
Whoops, lol. I'll take a look sometime. I wonder how different they are. I would assume it would be the same procedure as the front.....just try to punch them out and make space to remove them from the back. I could be completely wrong but I'll take a look.

Just looked through your thread. Very nice write-ups!

Thanks.

Whoops, lol. I'll take a look sometime. I wonder how different they are. I would assume it would be the same procedure as the front.....just try to punch them out and make space to remove them from the back. I could be completely wrong but I'll take a look.
In the rear, the head of the bolts hits the housing for the hub. You can get them out okay but new ones would be tricky to get in without relieving the hub housing or flatting the head of each stud.

In the rear, the head of the bolts hits the housing for the hub. You can get them out okay but new ones would be tricky to get in without relieving the hub housing or flatting the head of each stud.

There is a thread somewhere in here about how to get longer studs back in by doing some minor grinding in an area that will be totally unaffected by the loss of material.

What is the size/lenght of the stud on the NSX and what replacement stud do you use? I'd like to extend mine by 5 mm.

For the rear, I used ARP 100-7710, which are 1.850". Longer would be nice. The step up is the 100-7712, which are 2.850". I used those in front.

Back