raced a z06 on the freeway tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was at the track, as stated in his post. GTS, I believe. We were all there the night he killed the 360 Ferrari, and the Ferrari crashed on the freeway afterward. Yes, his car is faster than my NSX. However, yesterday I ran into a twin turboed Viper with 300 shot of nitrous on top of it. One word, UGLY.

Last edited:
CokerRat said:
I agree with MattS4313 and Edwardo. Let's not cop the same bullheaded attitude of our beloved car like others do when they trash-talk the NSX on those other enthusiast boards (cough cough.. FerrariChat...). ;) Let's give credit where credit is due, the Z06 is a very respectable car. The performance is nothing short of awesome in every measurable way and the body styling is still striking today (IMO). So the Chev build quality isn't up to the same levels as luxury marques who have built their reputations on it. Neither was Ferrari's 10 years ago.

If I was going showroom-stock racing with a budget, I'd plunk down my coin at the Chevy dealership.

Amen!..
now stop the flaming. I registerd on the board thinking there was going to be more intellectual post not flame wars or bickering about what car is better... Im not pointing fingers. Back to on topic... The z06 is a great car... best bang for you buck in my opinion on the market today for your go fast outa the box sportscar. But there will always be likes and dislikes of any car and one car can be torn apart with dislikes just as much as the next.
TT Viper with a 300 shot... how is the guy even driving the thing on the street:eek: Bone stock our GTS laid down 409rwhp and 467rwtq...our RT/10 pulled sligtly less because its a 2000 and they don't have the cam's that the 96-97 run had. But for driveability its a car that takes getting used to with the superlight gas pedal to massive tq at the rear... I could pull perfect launches in our E36 M3 everyday but the GTS eh goodluck need to go out and do about 100 toget it perfect. So in a 1/8 mile i could see a lot of things ripping up on vipers

JJCNSX said:
Well,

ThunderousZ06: i believe you beat a supra and viper.. i am interested to know more. was it on freeway or offline. Now, was the viper gts or rt10?

-jjc.
supra / nsx lover

JJCNSX

I raced the TT 911, TT Surpra and Viper GTS at a 1/8 mile track using a Sportsman Tree.

The only time I lost to any car was when they had MT Street ET's compared to my stock Goodyear F1 Super Cars.

I agree, that is why I love having different cars to hang around with. Bring much more to the table, and sometime you can meet your next friend doing that, too.

I have no idea how the heck that guy drive the turboed Viper, but from what I understand, it really tore shit up when he hooked up properly. He got the two huge intercoolers in the front that you can see everytime.

Hi guys....heres some info for ya...the zee does pretty good
Originally posted by Doc V.
Here are some revealing Nurburgring Nordschleife lap times:

Porsche 996 GT2 (455 hp DIN): 7:44
Porsche 996 Twin Turbo (420 hp DIN): 7:56
2004 Z06: 7:56
Porsche 996 GT3 (360 hp DIN): 8:03
Ferrari 550: 8:07
Lanborghini Diablo SV: 8:09
Dodge Viper GTS: 8:10
Porsche 993 Twin Turbo (430 hp DIN): 8:12
BMW M5: 8:28
Porsche Boxster S: 8:32
Honda (Acura) NSX: 8:38
Honda S2000: 8:39

Wow!

The TWIN TURBOS and the V8's goes really really FASSSST...
I noticed!!!........Did you???

:confused:

I know I read somewhere that the NSX-R ran a sub-8 min lap.
I find it hard to believe that the Boxster ran faster than the NSX...must have been a German driver.

washguy said:
Hi guys....heres some info for ya...the zee does pretty good
Originally posted by Doc V.
Here are some revealing Nurburgring Nordschleife lap times:

Porsche 996 GT2 (455 hp DIN): 7:44
Porsche 996 Twin Turbo (420 hp DIN): 7:56
2004 Z06: 7:56
Porsche 996 GT3 (360 hp DIN): 8:03
Ferrari 550: 8:07
Lanborghini Diablo SV: 8:09
Dodge Viper GTS: 8:10
Porsche 993 Twin Turbo (430 hp DIN): 8:12
BMW M5: 8:28
Porsche Boxster S: 8:32
Honda (Acura) NSX: 8:38
Honda S2000: 8:39

Individual lap times doesn't really mean anything. Different track conditions can drastically change the lap time. Not to mention different drivers doing the time attack. The only way to have a fair comparision to keep everything else constant (track conditions, driver, etc) except for the car. I've seen the NSX run much faster than that, and I've seen the M5 run much slower than that. I'm not sure on the other cars.

Perhaps the NSX has run much faster than an 8:38 at the Old Nuburgring (Nordscheife), and different drivers on different days undoubtedly create more variables, but it will NOT achieve a sub-8 minute laptime like the Z06. I say this with dead certainty because:

1. I drove the Nordschleife in a rented 911 this past March and know where the NSX's power shortcomings severely limit it's laptimes regardless of it's handling prowess.

2. As you can see by my signature, I own both, so I can verify reason #1.

This whole discussion of (insert car here) vs. Z06 is pointless. I've also seen it on the M3 forum (with a great deal more flaming), and it really is comparing apples and oranges unless it is something with similar horsepower. If I want ultimate brute force speed in both a straight line and a corner, I'll drive the Z06. But if I want the ultimate expression of what an exoticar SHOULD be, I'll drive the NSX. I love them both equally, but for different reasons. Peace.

The sub 8 min lap is in the 2002 NSX-R.
It was actually done, from what I understand.
As in, done (probably by a pro driver) and printed in a magazine.

I'm totally with you on "it really doesn't matter".
I'm just making conversation....

Bulldozer27 said:
but it will NOT achieve a sub-8 minute laptime like the Z06.

Last edited:
There's a guy on here on Prime that did an 8:0something with some bolt-on's and Tein RE suspension. It's been done.

Quoted from this thread

The NSX-R has a VERY stiff suspension, one that would be a lot less comfortable than the standard NSX setup. The German guy that is mentioned in this thread (who is NOT going faster than the new NSX-R but IS very close at 8:01) is using the TEIN suspension and is very very happy with it. With the TEIN, swaybars and good tires I think the older model is coming very close to the R in terms of balance and cornering-ability.

See the post by Detlef Welsch as well.

Perhaps I should have specified, but it was implied in my post that I was comparing a stock Z06 vs. a stock NSX, as was reflected in washguy's original post. Sure, the guy in Germany has done better, but with the same amount of modifications, a Z06 would probably be in the low 7:40s. Again, apples to apples.

And yet he's still slower than an NSX-R. Touche - apples to apples.

The NSX-R is stock, right? You can buy it just like any other NSX in Japan (not in the US, though.) The car is quick, there was a thread on how it battled a Lamborghini at the track a while back. It stayed ahead until the straight away at the end.

Bulldozer27 said:
Perhaps I should have specified, but it was implied in my post that I was comparing a stock Z06 vs. a stock NSX, as was reflected in washguy's original post. Sure, the guy in Germany has done better, but with the same amount of modifications, a Z06 would probably be in the low 7:40s. Again, apples to apples.

Apple to apple would mean at least comparing a 400 hp car with a 400 hp car.

Now if we want to go further, comparing same kind of apples with same kind of apples would mean at least comparing cars with same power to weight ratio.

From that point of view, I'd be ashamed to realize that a 290 hp car can beat mine with 400 hp!

Of course some will endlessly come back with the price tag issue but again you have to pay for build quality and from that point of view I'd be ashamed to bash on Corvette's reliability and assembly quality! Apples to apples! :)

So I'm still waiting for a reply as to what the official laptime is for the NSX-R since a few are stating that it is faster at the Nordschleife then the Z06.........

Comparing a modded Integra to a modded ZO6 is definitely a bit too optimistic. I, myseld don't favor modded four-banger unless it is a Lotus S4 or MR2T.

The NSX, it is a different story altogether. We pick it up because of its look, exclusitivity, beautiful worksmanship, beatiful fit and superb reliability. NSX owners could afford most of all other cars, (a good number have Ferrari(s), Porsches, Lotuses,...) in addition to their NSXes.

Keep the ZO6, (it is a good vehicle,) but I will keep my NSX forever and have a grin on my face all the time. Different vehicles for different tastes.

Have a good day to you, too!

my hb

Bell turbo B18C1 said:
I have caught modded Z06's with my modded 1.8L Integra turbo at Gingerman. They are NOT all that, UNLESS at a high speed track like Road America. Then I am short on brute BHP.

dont bash the 4 banger, I had a 92 hatch dynoed 435 to the wheels on a built 2.0 sleeved LS. I ran a ZO6 with me on slicks and him on streets. I only had him by 3/4 of my car but we both ran good times. I now have the NSX which is considerably slower but way better. The ZO6 rocks but compared to hatch, its priceless to see everyones face when a 4 banger beats a ZO6. I still had way to much wheels spin first time running him which was the first real run with the hatches old set up with a 60-1 custom turbo set up.

laters

FYI ... I have never seen a stock Zo6 run 0-60 in 3.9. More like 4.3 and the quarters I have seen have been high 12's...

It is still fast, but its not that fast...

Of course, if you just want to argue about corvettes, I think you are on the wrong forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back