raced a z06 on the freeway tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
NetViper said:
A stock vette runs mid 13's at about 108 MPH... so I think you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
I'll have to agree with NetViper here, and ofcourse since I own one I speak from experience.

Bone Stock, my C5 ran 13.1 @ 106 MPH
With air-intake alone, it ran 12.9 @ 108 MPH

Both of the above-stated runs were on factory GY run-flats.

Currently, it runs 11.2 @ 126+ MPH on BFG drag radials.

-Awais

The debate could go on and on about what is better what coulda shoulda woulda be done to the cars to make one faster than the other or the other a lesser vehicle. The vett is more of the american icon when it comes to sports cars and I believe it will never leave. Its always a challenge when comparing sports cars to eachother.

Look at all the new cars you can pick up under 30k or around that EVO, wrx/STi, SRT-4. these cars will even with one mod put up a great fight and most of the times come out on top if say racing a E36M3 on highway runs maybe even on the track?... minus the dodge

But as many of you have stated its the rarity of the NSX and just its flat out exotic look and feel. When it comes down to it it really all depends upon the person. OK im done just rambling on:cool:

Z06

Has anyone seen the August issue of Car and Driver, they have a article on the One Lap of America and it was won by a Z06. Ron Adee the owner really calls it a Z07, cuz it has a 7 liter racing block, plus he put in NOS and he beat out the previous champ, Brian Smith, who had a SRT-10 Viper. I'm not a big fan of Vette, I love my NSX, but I have great respect for the Z06 at the track. I think that of 2004 the One Lap of America is comming to the west, I hope that some of our NSX colleagues will go out and Kick ass. Hint- Greg? Doug?

Paul

"Hmmmmm .............I wonder what a C4, C5 or Z06 would do with nitrous, turbo or sugercharger?"

Go off the end of the first straightaway......................aaahhhhhhhh
:D

Sorry, this is an NSX board afterall,,,,, with brakes and a driver,,,, that would be really fast.

ThunderousZ06 said:
Hmmmmm .............I wonder what a C4, C5 or Z06 would do with nitrous, turbo or sugercharger?

http://www.lingenfelter.com

Oh, you did not just go there!

Lingenfelters are like 900 HP Supras......nice to brag to the boys at the drive-in with, but not of much use in any practical setting at all IMHO. Do I need to spin the tires on the 4th-5th shift? When others are talking about feathering the clutch, try feathering the gas all of the time just to keep the tires from burning out! :D I'll bet that it'd take a LOT of practice to learn how to launch one correctly.

ThunderousZ06 said:
What I am saying is................. match a C4, C5 or Z06 mod for mod and you will be left behind.

Are we talking straight line or around a track? If we're talking about the latter, I'll disagree with you. Z06 maybe, but a C4? Come on. :rolleyes

"What I am saying is................. match a C4, C5 or Z06 mod for mod and you will be left behind."

Does a Vette come in a V-6 ?
Mod for mod Perhaps you are right - equal HP, no contest.

What happen if Acura came out with a VTEC- DOHC V8 engine in the future? Hmmm....now let's talk about "levelling the playing field"......:D

jagtiger said:
....now let's talk about "levelling the playing field"......:D
more like "leaving in the dust"
i highly doubt that will ever happen though. honda would rather rev the crap out of a smaller engine than add 2 cylinders.

Last edited:
I love the Z06 (Love the ZR-1 even more but that's another thread.) and enjoy seeing them at the track. For sure, they can be made serious track cars w/ just R compounds thrown on. Comparing them with a stock NSX, while certainly doable, would be better done with the NSX-R. Since those aren't in the US right now for comparision, I can give you my .02 cents of experience.

With my NSX (a few mods) and my meager capability, a track "fight" with them has been a draw. The parts where Z06's have an advantage are on the straights and under braking. The areas where I either gain or distance myself is when cornering and especially on corner exits. So far, I've run into a few good Z06 drivers and have nothing but respect for their cars. Depending on traffic, we're always w/i a few seconds of each other.

Thunderous, how much lighter is the commemorative edition Z06 than the plain vanilla version? Is it just the CF hood, or are there other performance enhancing changes?

ThunderousZ06 said:
FYI....... A stock Z06 runs low 12's, 0-60= 3.9 seconds, pulls 1g on skid pad with a top speed of 171 at red line in 5th gear.

Not so, according to the Road & Track article referenced in this thread:
0_-60 mph: 4.7 sec.
Skidpad: 0.97g
Quarter mile: Who cares?

So what, anyway? You bought one, and you like it, so to each his own.

(edited for some not-so-nice comments. Sorry to those who read them.)

I see many C5's each day and usually at least one Z06 each day (triple those stats on weekends). This summer I have seen a grand total of two (2) Corvette drivers that do not fit the stereotypical 50+ yr-old male with gray hair and usually substantially, uh, portly. Interestingly, both exceptions were Z06 drivers - the one I wrote about above and a little petite lady in her late 40's who ripped shit up as she left the Blockbuster parking lot!

Viper Driver said:
Are we talking straight line or around a track? If we're talking about the latter, I'll disagree with you. Z06 maybe, but a C4? Come on. :rolleyes

the 1984 C4 corvette was the best handeling car in the world that year (according to car and driver i believe) An American that beat out the Germans and Itilian? Say it aint so....

You people DAWG on your own NSX to much. You got an Awsome exotic, it is a "Sports Car" not a muscle car. You dont need a V8, you have a Mid engine supercar. Can it get beat by something that cost less and has lesser quality intiorier? Yes, but on the same hand, i see 5.0 Mustangs that cost 5 grand now that will drag with Vipers..

JJCNSX-
I thought your idea of the C5's preformance was off. I have seen Stock C5's do low 13/high12. Most supras i see are high 13. On the flip side, my vette is 19 years old with over 100k miles on it, and i have only had 1 major repair. BTW- I do believe you beat a C5. And i feel you still need skills on the highway, slow shifts, missing gears, changing gears at the wrong RPM.

Last edited:
Entertaining thread!

We are all car nuts here and thus it is nothing new to see a Corvette with better performance than an exotic. Go check out the Ferrari or Porsche forum. These Z06's can hang with the Twin turbo Porsche and the 360 Modena. There is no shame in losing to a Z06 at the track I don't think. Corvettes have been tearing up Ferrari's and exotic car X (no pun intended for us :D) for fifty years. Nothing new here.

I think it will be interesting to see what the C6 will be like. The emphasis is supposedly going to be on quality...specifically interior quality. Other number are looking like a 3,000lb weight and 400hp stock. If GM executes the design goals properly, the C6 will be quite a product to be sure. We will see...

I really have a love for Corvette. I owned one for five years.

When it came down to purchasing a car, it was between the Viper, C5, and NSX. The first car I drove was an NSX. I now drive an NSX. :D I love the view out the front. The road is in your face. I love the roar of the engine behind my head. The appearance of the car is just awesome. The first test drive, I knew I had to have one. The car feels like a race car. I don't care what the number say when I am in the car. It is just fun for me.

Right ON Edwardo!

Edwardo said:

We are all car nuts here and thus it is nothing new to see a Corvette with better performance than an exotic. Go check out the Ferrari or Porsche forum. These Z06's can hang with the Twin turbo Porsche and the 360 Modena. There is no shame in losing to a Z06 at the track I don't think. Corvettes have been tearing up Ferrari's and exotic car X (no pun intended for us :D) for fifty years. Nothing new here.

I have raced a 2001 360 Modena, 2001 TT 911, 1999 Viper, 1993 TT Supra, rusted out Malibu and 5.0's at a 1/8 mile drag and smoked them all.

Not impressed.

1/8th drag > better than street racing.

I know the ZO6 driver well. A great car plus a good driver will do some damage.

Yes, i rather see this done at any type of track than on the street.

I agree with MattS4313 and Edwardo. Let's not cop the same bullheaded attitude of our beloved car like others do when they trash-talk the NSX on those other enthusiast boards (cough cough.. FerrariChat...). ;) Let's give credit where credit is due, the Z06 is a very respectable car. The performance is nothing short of awesome in every measurable way and the body styling is still striking today (IMO). So the Chev build quality isn't up to the same levels as luxury marques who have built their reputations on it. Neither was Ferrari's 10 years ago.

If I was going showroom-stock racing with a budget, I'd plunk down my coin at the Chevy dealership.

Well,

let me start off that i think vettes are pretty, from '50 or 60 on.. all of them are piece of arts.. (too many of them, so we dont think too much of it) but, it is damn pretty.. and FAST.. ZO6 is insanely fast..

Tell you truth, supra tt offline is nothing. VERY beatable.. a supra tt is damn hard to launch, either massive wheelspin, or when you launch at lower rpm, you will have to wait for 2nd turbo to kick in. Racelogic Traction control would cure that problem, try to race one and see how it will turn out.

btw, if any of you like drag race, try racelogic traction control.. it works like dream. immagine no wheelspin at launch.. You will see what supra tt owners found out recently..

back to topic, on the other hand supra tt (with minor mod) = so call BUP Supra tt, is mighty tough to beat. a bpu supra tt = viper gts on freeway, shoulder to shoulder all the way to 150mph + MattS4313: if someone want to race in wrong gear or mis shift.. then godbless him

ThunderousZ06: i believe you beat a supra and viper.. i am interested to know more. was it on freeway or offline. Now, was the viper gts or rt10?

-jjc.
supra / nsx lover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back