raced a z06 on the freeway tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would have a very hard time taking a Z06 on any track given equal drivers. Think again.

osugrad97 said:
You would have a very hard time taking a Z06 on any track given equal drivers. Think again.

I will have to disagree with that statement. I think the NSX with proper mods I/H/E, upgraded suspension/brakes, and on a good diet, will give even a similar modded Z06 a good challenge. Any defenders here?

I have always been VERY against putting Nitrous in the NSX. It seems alot of you guys have it though. A friend of mine that used to have an NSX (traded it in for a kid..what was he thinking) had a 75 shot, and he swore the NSX was a totally different car. His NSX was otherwise bone stock.

Seriously though, doesn't the nitrous add a great deal of strain on the engine? Risks of blown motors etc? Enlighten me...whilest I check out the search on "nitrous";)

Last edited:
BladesNSX said:
I will have to disagree with that statement. I think the NSX with proper mods I/H/E, upgraded suspension/brakes, and on a good diet, will give the even a similar modded Z06 a good challenge. Any defenders here?

Well, I hate to compare modded cars, just because every one is different. But stock vs stock, they ran a comparison in Road & Track last year (3/02) of a Z06, a NA 911, and an NSX, using drivers of three different levels of experience. The lap times were actually very very close to each other, and there were plenty of nice things to say about all three of the cars. None of them (not even the Z06, despite the horsepower advantage) would be described as "blowing away" the others. So that article supports you, Blades, and so do I.

BladesNSX said:
I have always been VERY against putting Nitrous in the NSX. It seems alot of you guys have it though. A friend of mine that used to have an NSX (traded it in for a kid..what was he thinking) hat a 75 shot, and he swore the NSX was a totally different car. His NSX was otherwise bone stock.

Seriously though, doesn't the nitrous add a great deal of strain on the engine? Risks of blown motors etc? Enlighten me...whilte I check out the search on "nitrous";)

I don't think a lot of people here have nitrous. I think a few have nitrous - and nowhere near as many as, say, the minority that have superchargers.

Other than that, I agree with you again. Whenever I hear the discussion about nitrous, I always hear qualifiers - it won't blow up the engine "if you do it right", "if you're careful about when you spray", "if you choose the right setup", scary stuff like that. Like most things around here, there are some who think it's great, and I assume have their own reasons for feeling that it might not be as risky as all the other nitrous setups that you hear about blowing up. But that would be the last mod I would put on my own car. I think of it as more risky than I/H/E, more risky than suspension mods, more risky than any of the mainstream superchargers, ...well, you get the point. More risky than all those conventional mods. How does it compare with a turbo, or a super-high-boost supercharger, or an untested supercharger? I put all of them in the category of high risk mods, that could cost you a bundle in repairs if everything doesn't go right. If you don't mind taking that risk, go for it. But not on my car!

Actually Ken, I just spoke to a gentlmen I know who recently purchased a C5 corvette (poor choice) and decided to put nitrous in it. I saw him earlier and it turns out that he blew something out of wack in his motor.

Yup, I think the best mods for my car would be the tranny, a wee diet, Got the I/ need the H/ got the E;) but Sorry to report that today my clutch has given out:( Time for some serious overtime and a prayer so I can afford the PGII or Exedy...<sigh> K....now I'm depressed.

Well she waited till about a block from home to start giving out on me. What a girl....took me right into the garage. Faithfull to the end.

ZO6 are nothing for me
i raced one awhile back it was blue with a temp tag and i raced four time twice from a stop and twice from a roll everytime it was night and day i walked him bad infact the third time he hit his steering wheel in frustration, after that i felt bad i then raced a fifth time and i didn't spray it was close but he did have a slight edge. we talked afterwards at the next light and went our way i told him i sprayed for the first four times and the last time i didn't, he felt so much better afterwards i could tell:D

nsxtasy said:
stock vs stock, they ran a comparison in Road & Track last year (3/02) of a Z06, a NA 911, and an NSX, using drivers of three different levels of experience. The lap times were actually very very close to each other, and there were plenty of nice things to say about all three of the cars. None of them (not even the Z06, despite the horsepower advantage) would be described as "blowing away" the others.

The article is on Road & Track's website, here.

That was a great article Ken.

"But we have no doubt that a few suspension tweaks and stickier tires can transform this lightweight machine into a serious racer for all conditions."

That says alot about The NSX. The second driver admitted that he would have had a much better lap time in the NSX if he didn't mistakenly slide in one of the turns. I remember a road and track test showing the fastest 0-60 time of the NSX at 4.9 seconds. Now they show a 0-60 time of 5.0 seconds. Thats pretty good to me:D

Granted though, I have the crappy old 5 speed tranny :(

Ken you know Mike Bergman right? He has run 2:30 @ RA with a NA NSX. Viper GTS's, Z06's and the Doug Rippie C5's have also run about the same. The only car besides those 3 I have seen go faster is a 360 Modena Challenge car. If you can count that as a street car. I saw Pierre run a 2:34 in a 215 bhp Realtime ITR!!!!!!!

Bell turbo B18C1 said:
Ken you know Mike Bergman right?

Yes, I know Mike. He is a very talented driver.

Bell turbo B18C1 said:
I saw Pierre run a 2:34 in a 215 bhp Realtime ITR!!!!!!!

I know Pierre, too. He rode with me while I was driving my NSX around Mid-Ohio for an entire half-hour run session at NSXPO '98. Fun!

I have respect to Z06 on the road when I see one.

Once I was going next to one, (looked bone stock with little over sized tires maybe 295 or 315 in rear) then when we lined up at 40mph we floor it I hear tires spining and I thourgt for a sec it was me I have 75 wet shot, but it was the Z06 smoking tires at 40mph for the next 10 feet in front of me. I had no chance with him then I followed him to 160mph and he kept on going I don't know the top speed on Z06 but it must be more then 180 :) He must had NOS too :)

I heard that Z06 does 1.1 G on corners and NSX is only .9G is that true? Weight is not much more then NSX.

I'm not a fan of Z06 I like my NSX better :) but speed does matter.

ZO6's top speed is around 172mph, actually a tiny bit lower than the C5 for some reason.

Gearing limits the top speed.

You guys are comparing two different cars here. Stock for stock, I'd day the Z06 will take the NSX anywhere....drag strip, highway, or road course.

Enough bench racing. I'm willing to volunteer my C5 for a test run against any NSX in the Chicagoland area, regardless of mods (SC, Turbo, Nitrous). As you all know, I'm a big NSX fan myself, so this would purely be for fun!

I'd like to share some of my experience as a Supra tt owner on vettes,

In general, Chey always overstate the ability of their vettes. Vettes are not very reliable, and, in real life, they are not nearly as fast/great as the factory data.

C5 is about as fast as a stock Supra tt with a leaky intercooler pipe. I remember i raced a C5 when it first came out: There was this black C5 tried to race me on hwy 880, we both gunned it, he was on my tail all the way to 135 mph. I was very surprised in two ways, (1). i couldnt boost more than 9 psi (stock supra can boost 11-12 psi) (2) even with leaky IC pipe, we were dead even. So i had to exit the freeway and tighten down my damn IC pipe, i didnt find him afterwards. A supra with minor mod (less than $ 500 mod) can boost safely @ 17-18 psi. p.s. 9 psi = 280 rwhp / 290 tq, 17/18 psi = ~ 390 rwhp/ 400tq

Z06, on the other hand, is fast, and pretty light. I was told by my Z06 friend that Z06 rocks on tracks (he used to own a NSX). Not a pushover as some of you expressed.

NSX is a great track car, dont get me wrong, but that is only AFTER you master how to drive a MR. NSX is not a forgiven car, one mistake, you will spin out of control & end up in the gutter. Where 50/50 weight distributed FR, eg Supra tt and Z06s, are more forgiven and easy to drive fast (on the track too).

In a smaller track with many continuous turns, NSX will have advantage. A track with long ass straight ways, it will be tough to hang with high HP/tq cars like Z06.

We are kinda comparing orange & apple. They both have their own traits. I love nsx, because it is pretty and exotic.

Believe me, if NSX = "highway king", every riceboys & hot rod heads in the hood will try to race you day and nite, gets REAL annoying.

-jjc.
93 blk supra tt 6spds
93 red nsx 6spds

JJCNSX said:

Believe me, if NSX = "highway king", every riceboys & hot rod heads in the hood will try to race you day and nite, gets REAL annoying.

my nsx must be a highway king then, b/c everyone tries racing me lately! Even in traffic. Very annoying!

I would take the Z06 for track use any day of the week. The Z06's at Road America tear up EVERYTHING on the track including some pure race cars. Lets face it, its the Vette that Chevy should have built 30 years ago. Come to think of it, they did!

In my Teg
I absolutely get eaten up for lunch by ZO6's at Road America (4 mile course) by 15 sec a lap!!!!

BUT I can run dead even with them @ Gingerman (2 mile tight course) I actually have a in car video of a black ZO6 with slicks in front of me for 5 laps. He would pull a car on the straights and I would get a car and 1/2 back in turns and braking. I caught up to his bumper and got all in his mirrors. (with a grin on my face!)

Granted I run 13" brakes and suspension and slicks, but it is still a 1.8L motor. next year I will be running an NSX can't wait!

I am curious to see what the new Viper will do at RA (finally a car with brakes!!! some extra bhp too)

osugrad97 I would take the Z06 for track use any day of the week. The Z06's at Road America tear up EVERYTHING on the track including some pure race cars.

I respectfully disagree. We toasted every Vette including the Z06s in the last OTC. Well not exactly toasted but beat them by 1-2 seconds but with a 3.0L, low-compression engine. Yea, we had a few downforce and brake mods but still.......

Add a supercharger to match HP,,,,,, no contest,,,,,,,,,,, watch for next year's results.

Don't belive me, check here:
http://www.opentrackchallenge.com/results/2003/index.htm
Oh yea, you'll need to find the Vettes in the T1 class, we are down in T2, only behind the Viper and the Mosler. Make no mistake, the NSX is a fast track car;)

See ya'll at Expo!

First of all- I wanted to say hey everyone, Im knew to the board, and actually signed up because i read this link on another website.
I really like NSX's alot, dont think i could affored one anytime soon, seeing as how im a poor college student, but always fun to admire.
Well to the main point- JJCNSX: I think your statement comparing Vettes to Supras was very inacurate. We will put it this way, I own an old vette, and have never had any trouble with a supra. Ive also never come close to beating a C5. Of course, Who knows if there were mods on the vettes ive run,
This is the bottom line- Its only 1/2 the car and 1/2 the driver.

Ill Quit hijacking your thread, and leave yall with a good note- I was stomped by a slightly modded NSX 2 days ago. Beatiful cars, even when im starring at the tail lights!:D

this thread is linked to another website??

Remember the NSX design is more than 10 years old and going strong...for the moment. The Z06 performance out of the box is unmatchable in my opinion but as nsxjoy stated the interior is horrid. Why I have always been more of a fan of Jap and German cars becasue the interior of even the best americans are just dull and not very appealing.

Good luck with those modifications :) and don't be so down that you drive an "exotic"

Just remember that a ZO6 can equal or surpass most Ferraries, Lotus', Lamborghines, Vipers, Masseratis, Aston Martins, and NSX's on the road with their performance. The reason why some people purchase the cars mentioned above instead of a ZO6 is that the Corvettes are mass produced or the above EXOTICS have other attributing factors that the ZO6 doesn't have (the badge, interior, handling, exclusivity, top end speed, style, design, etc..).

There is definitely something special about a rare car. Yes… If I saw 10 Ferrari Enzo’s driving around, I would be shocked BUT if there was 7 parked at the high school, 3 of my neighbors had one, 5 or 6 on my way to work and on my way back home and another dozen at two separate dealerships a mile away from my home year after year after year..… TRUST ME… you would become desensitized to the aesthetic pleasure of seeing them.

The NSX captures that exclusivity that Corvettes will never have. If they make the next 350Z with better performance than an NSX and sell them in the many thousands, I would still choose the NSX......exclusivity.... it's a great thing.

MattS4313 said:

Well to the main point- JJCNSX: I think your statement comparing Vettes to Supras was very inacurate. We will put it this way, I own an old vette, and have never had any trouble with a supra. Ive also never come close to beating a C5. Of course, Who knows if there were mods on the vettes ive run,
This is the bottom line- Its only 1/2 the car and 1/2 the driver.
:D

welcome !

now, i dont know which statement i made was NOT accurate. The part that chey vettes are not very reliable? or the part that i hangged with a vette with leaky ic pipe that nite? or the part that Chey overstated C5 ability?

well, reliable issue, i am sure vette owners should know more than I do.

about the part i hanged with a vette with leaky IC pipe on the freeway? well, why would i want lie about it? you can choose to believe either way.

on the track, i would agree that drivers can be big part of equation. but on freeway run, I am not sure how much difference it would make.

just look at the trap speed of 1/4 miles, it will give you a good indicator. Stock supra tt will do 108-111 mph, modified supra tt (with stock turbos, no NOS) can do 116-126 mph. http://www.supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126278&highlight=1/4+miles+trap+speed

Any idea what C5 can do in real life?

i am sure you've beaten numerous Supra tt, and i beieve you that you cant beat a C5. Hence, supra tt is slower than C5. Well, I never said that Supra tt is unbeatable..

A stock vette runs mid 13's at about 108 MPH... so I think you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back