RA-1 as daily driver?

I have a couple questions for those with experience with these tires.

Ok. I have several years experience driving on the RA1 in the Northwest, from new to shot, in all conditions, both street and track.

I am looking for some better traction than my current falken 615's on my daily driver. I put about 10,000 miles per year on my car.

I've been on both, and through-out the majority of its effective life the RA1 is obviously going to be a significant step up in terms of grip. 10K is realistic.

1. Are they useless on wet pavement.

That is too generic of a question. Define wet pavement. Is this California wet? Define the tread depth remaining. What are the details?

New they are a fantastic wet weather tire if you can keep heat in them, but particularly as they wear down and the tread depth drops... too much standing water is going to be a very different driving situation.

I will say this: I've found that they don't work very well if you get caught in icy, snowy, blizzard-like conditions. :wink:

How many miles can I expect to get out of them driven only on the street(albeit aggressively)?

More than likely, you'll probably heat cycle them to death long before you can no longer see the wear indicators. However, they will still be relatively pretty grippy in the dry.

3. Does it even make sense to consider these for daily driving? I have about 575 whp and spend too much time cracking the tires loose. The other concern is if my tires stop spinning will I start breaking other stuff..tranny, drive shaft etc.... How are they noise wise, do alot of highway and do not want drone

Not really, no.

Without getting into every aspect and detail... the bottom line is that I think 99 times out of 100 you would have a difficult time making a compelling engineering argument as to why you would want to take a new set of relatively expensive RA1's and waste them on daily street use. Climate, Conditions, Usage, Budget, Novelty, etc... play a part. It's an instance where you can, I'm just not sure why you would want to. I'll run my shot track tires, how much traction do you really need for street speeds? :confused:

Logically, all other things being equal- a high performance street tire will out last, while operating more consistently over a wider temp range and in more varied conditions. Further they have a more flexible side wall, better noise characteristics, etc... which is why they put them on super cars, many of which put down far more than 575hp.

Contrary to some of the advice on this thread, I would assert that if you put a wider tire on the rear it will increase your probability of achieving traction without sacrificing the characteristics of the more preferred compound.

My 0.2

Last edited:
Not really, no.

Without getting into every aspect and detail... the bottom line is that I think 99 times out of 100 you would have a difficult time making a compelling engineering argument as to why you would want to take a new set of relatively expensive RA1's and waste them on daily street use. Climate, Conditions, Usage, Budget, Novelty, etc... play a part. It's an instance where you can, I'm just not sure why you would want to. I'll run my shot track tires, how much traction do you really need for street speeds? :confused:

Logically, all other things being equal- a high performance street tire will out last, while operating more consistently over a wider temp range and in more varied conditions. Further they have a more flexible side wall, better noise characteristics, etc... which is why they put them on super cars, many of which put down far more than 575hp.

Contrary to some of the advice on this thread, I would assert that if you put a wider tire on the rear it will increase your probability of achieving traction without sacrificing the characteristics of the more preferred compound.

My 0.2
I agree with pretty much everything you said :)

But 500-550whp+ is a lot of power and do light street tires up no problem. They'll light up R-comps as well if you want them to, but R-comps make a lot more grip when it's not freezing out. Sure their are some production cars putting down over 575bhp, but 500wheel is over 600 at the crank and 575whp is closer to 650-700bhp, which not a lot of cars make.

Heck, a Mercedes CLK63 black edition with only 500bhp is completely useless with traction control turned off. You can light the tires up in 2-3-4th gear on a track and break them loose just by stepping on the gas in 1-2-3 and that has one of the better street tires -Perelli P Zero Whatchamacallits... But it's one heck of a fun car.

Having that much power is fun but it is a huge power number with a good potential for disaster (and fun). R-comps when not in frozen situations might be a better option for some (definately for VegasNSX) when having that kind of power. But I get what you're saying.

Last edited:
Of course, if you feel the need to have 650-700 crank hp in a NSX daily driver... so as to achieve (going out on a limb here) an average road speed of perhaps 70 whole mph... when on a public highway in-transit to the local neighborhood grocery store..... :cool:

... then I can only assume that practicality was never the primary street objective here.

Sure, again in the 99/100 customer case... after $30,000 has since been spent on street engine mods.... $1200 in RA1's would probably be the next logical choice... for the discerning performancephile customer... whom loaths that scary 3rd/4th shift.... In the middle of a desert.

:smile: :biggrin:

Sure, again in the 99/100 customer case... after $30,000 has since been spent on street engine mods.... $1200 in RA1's would probably be the next logical choice... for the discerning performancephile customer... whom loaths that scary 3rd/4th shift.... In the middle of a desert.

You just described me to a T! :biggrin:

Of course, if you feel the need to have 650-700 crank hp in a NSX daily driver... so as to achieve (going out on a limb here) an average road speed of perhaps 70 whole mph... when on a public highway in-transit to the local neighborhood grocery store..... :cool:

... then I can only assume that practicality was never the primary street objective here.

Don't be a hater because someone elses grocery getter is faster than your dedicated track car!!:biggrin::wink:

Don't be a hater because someone elses grocery getter is faster than your dedicated track car!!:biggrin::wink:
  • For one, fast cars don't impress me, fast drivers do.
  • For two, I couldn't care less about anyones grocery getter; because driving an overly capable vehicle on the street is a sheer exercise in mind numbing boredom for me. It's like everyone slaps their meat down on the table and you pull out a 80" dildo. Now what are you going to do with that?
  • For three, high hp doesn't make a car fast. Maybe you can show me the elusive speed I'm missing.... since it obviously didn't present itself at the last NSXPO. Crap, next time I'll bring a stock Miata.
Car Forums...

:cool:

WOW, I guess we should all just wish we were you!:rolleyes:

No, I think you should stay your current course and be unique. You know... 18psi is the minimum. As they said on office space... What do you think of a person that just does the bare minimum?

Free speed secret: You should turn up the boost.

:wink:

It is quite narrow minded as well as arrogant to presume that only driving on a track can provide an enjoyable and challenging experience. Acceleration, handling and the absence of misplaced track rat bravado can and do come together to provide many hours of enjoyment on a variety of roads.:wink:

Last edited:
Right. I couldn't possibly understand. I'll have to take your word for it.

While I don't have any such roads at my immediate disposal... perhaps may I one day grow the wiser as you have...

... perhaps to sit in two hours of nightly bumper to bumper traffic on the I5.... averaging about 7mph (peak 70!).... affording me plenty of time to contemplate the staggering G forces from that 700rwhp and RA1 combo at my whim, as apparently you must.. Fun fun.

However, more than likely not. I will be instead thinking about that track bravado and comodery from the last season... in the context of being well placed, not misplaced.

And with that, may one day our roads cross. :smile:

Right. I couldn't possibly understand. I'll have to take your word for it.

While I don't have any such roads at my immediate disposal... perhaps may I one day grow the wiser as you have...

... perhaps to sit in two hours of nightly bumper to bumper traffic on the I5.... averaging about 7mph (peak 70!).... affording me plenty of time to contemplate the staggering G forces from that 700rwhp and RA1 combo at my whim, as apparently you must.. Fun fun.

However, more than likely not. I will be instead thinking about that track bravado and comodery from the last season... in the context of being well placed, not misplaced.

And with that, may one day our roads cross. :smile:

What do you sit on a phone book in that big bad race car? You sound 3 ft tall with a chip on your shoulder....:smile:

What do you sit on a phone book in that big bad race car? You sound 3 ft tall with a chip on your shoulder....:smile:

Then I guess that should tell you something. Apparently 3' is all it takes to not have to compensate.

600hp. Track tires. Ideal for going street speeds in a daily driver..... reads like a retirement brochure for Gen X'ers. For those whom still find Top Gear episodes eeriely sensually invocative.

Very exciting.

:rolleyes:

Oh come on John... now that Cadillac gave up their "making whoopee" marketing campaign, even their cars have 550+ hp. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Can you believe this crazy Canook put RA-1s on this daily driven Mercedes E63 AMG?

That was one badass car to drift arount turn 8 at Mosport going 80mph+ with smoke barreling out the back of the car... :biggrin:

I guess maybe ra-1's only work on canadian asphalt , with canadian rain!

J/K:cool:

Cadillac.. never heard of it. Sounds like another sensible daily driver. You think they will ditch the traction/stability control and start putting RA1's on them too. :cool:

You are right, RA-1's should belong exclusively to the holy domain of the trackrat as no one else has the right to pursue improved traction.

Lol, you know when a thread is beaten to death when John and Woody start sparing ,John has misplaced feelings of fustration that the track season is over.:tongue:

Last edited:
Jeez, John - why do you seemingly always drag down good discussion threads into trading insults with other members?

You are right, RA-1's should belong exclusively to the holy domain of the trackrat as no one else has the right to pursue improved traction.

Many production vehicles can be upgraded with track packages, which come with track tires- such as the exige. Of course, these are really intended to further be used... on the track.

But, certainly don't misconstrue that this should stop anyone from solving their traffic light traction woes. As I said, obviously having already taken an NSX, widely known as a reliable exotic that can be driven everyday... and then dialed all manner of drive-ability out of it- I could see how pursuing tread-wear 60-100 track tires to get to work and wallmart probably sounds like a pretty great idea. :rolleyes:

Jeez, John - why do you seemingly always drag down good discussion threads into trading insults with other members?

Shawn, I apologize. I can definitely see how "RA-1 as a daily driver" would be seen as a good, informative discussion thread by many on nsxprime. Doc is right. I am probably just agitated that the track season is over, and thus won't be able to participate in tearing up the street scene with RA1's. :smile:

Last edited:
Listen Johnny, I have met people like you before. Your whole identity is based on an activity you are only good enough to be a weekend wannabe at. I am sure it is all you ever talk about. I am sure you are the big hotfoot in your little car club in podunk WA, but your input is neither intelligent nor helpful. Stay in your little world, maybe you matter more there.

Listen Johnny, I have met people like you before. Your whole identity is based on an activity you are only good enough to be a weekend wannabe at.

Actually, my professional identity doesn't seem to be a matter of choice. It seems to be based on what I seem to be very good enough at- 10 years in operating system development for what is arguably the single most successful corporate entity in the course of human history. Hence the avatar. Who would have thought. In hindsight I would have preferred strip club owner. :biggrin:

I am sure it is all you ever talk about. I am sure you are the big hotfoot in your little car club in podunk WA,

I don't think you can handle a hotfoot from podunk, wa. Which little car club would that be? Porsche Club of America? Audi? BMW? SCCA? Any and all of which I think most anyone would agree to be a pretty significant step up from say... earning street creds in 7/11's parking lot every Friday night at 11pm showing off how well it 'hooks up yo'.

Hey, I earn my step. I always strive for the next level- even in hobbies such as motoring. If you are going to minimize it then let's first see you take myself or a Daniel Jesse or a Val Korry in podunk, wa... and put your skills before your mouth.

Perhaps in the coming years as I work on resources I can be so lucky as to land a pro seat or get to runoffs as Billy and others have done as a stepping stone to yet another level. Perhaps earn your respect which I so desire.... you know, in the event we find ourselves at a light and I need some grey poupon. :rolleyes:

Stay in your little world, maybe you matter more there.

And perhaps you should stay in yours... the NSXPRIME forced induction forum. Plenty of similar-minded weenies to tell you whatever you want to hear there.

Let's get something straight. You started the wizzing match here. You asked for an opinion on if you should run treadware track tires on your daily driver street car. I took the time out of my day to answer that ridiculous question in the first place. Obviously the result you wanted was everyone to tell you that you should go buy a set because you need it to handle that horsepower, which you also probably didn't need and is wasted on the street.

So why are you even here trying to have a logical argument with me when you could be out buying more things you don't need; do you really need affirmation for your irrationale carsumer behaviors?

Onlinetires.com

Last edited:

Even being on the receiving end of his rants, I've gotta admit that he's pretty funny.

I equate him to the Andy V. aka "Yellow Rose" of these days.

Actually, my professional identity doesn't seem to be a matter of choice. It seems to be based on what I seem to be very good enough at- 10 years in operating system development for what is arguably the single most successful corporate entity in the course of human history. Who would have thought.

Just imagine where you would be in that company or how much better XP would have been if you could have recaptured some of that company time you've spent over the years contributing to 1500 long-winded posts on nsxprime...:wink:

Actually, my professional identity doesn't seem to be a matter of choice. It seems to be based on what I seem to be very good enough at- 10 years in operating system development for what is arguably the single most successful corporate entity in the course of human history. Who would have thought. In hindsight I would have preferred strip club owner.

I get it. Its like the burger flippers at Mc Donalds claim ownership of that corporations success. Oh, and thanks for vista...its great :rolleyes:

Which little car club would that be? Porsche Club of America? Audi? BMW? SCCA?
I am glad you get some much pride out of your $50 open door memberships. They make you special.

Let's get something straight. You started the wizzing match here. You asked for an opinion on if you should run treadware 60 track tires on your daily driver street car. I took the time out of my day to answer that ridiculous question in the first place. Obviously the result you wanted was everyone to tell you that you should go buy a set because you need it to handle that massive power, which you also probably didn't need.

No, I didnt. The result I wanted was to determine if it was a legitimate way to improve traction, Not to have some dimwit judge the value of any street car that goes over 70 mph.

Back